Next Season: I'm looking forward to...

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Season: I'm looking forward to...

by The Prisoner » 09 Apr 2013 16:44

Billy Sharp & Jordan Rhodes

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 09 Apr 2013 16:47

A first round League Cup tie away somewhere at a proper old fashioned ground in the late evening August sunshine

Wipped
Location: If happy ever after did exist, I'd still be holding you like this

by Wipped » 09 Apr 2013 16:47

SCIAG
Royal Ginger Eamon Dolan's Reading making a meteoric rise from the lower echelons with a glorious round of hoofball after we all lose patience with the Adkins' way by Christmas.

I realise that was probably a joke, but Adkins is more likely to play hoofball than Dolan is.

Sorry, that's based on what? He played passing football at Scunny and Southampton. Neither set of fans mention a long ball game.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 09 Apr 2013 17:01

reading_fan A first round League Cup tie away somewhere at a proper old fashioned ground in the late evening August sunshine

Ahh good call.

noelgallagher

by noelgallagher » 09 Apr 2013 17:13

- The club replacing the 12 year old who currently updates the Twitter account
- Cheaper hospitality
- Realism
- Adkins building 'his' team.
- A new captain
- Academy players being introduced
- Anton investing wisely but more
- Playing the O2 arena again

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Apr 2013 17:16

Wipped
SCIAG
Royal Ginger Eamon Dolan's Reading making a meteoric rise from the lower echelons with a glorious round of hoofball after we all lose patience with the Adkins' way by Christmas.

I realise that was probably a joke, but Adkins is more likely to play hoofball than Dolan is.

Sorry, that's based on what? He played passing football at Scunny and Southampton. Neither set of fans mention a long ball game.

Have you ever seen an Eamonn Dolan side play?

Adkins is a pragmatic manager. His success with Southampton was based around getting the full backs to hit deep crosses to Lambert. He will mix it up if the occasion demands it, as shown by all those long balls on Saturday. He isn't a total idealist like Rodgers was.

Dolan's teams are totally based around short passing and technique. He plays 4-5-1 with a staggered midfield. When in possession, the centre backs part to receive passes, the defensive midfielder drops in between them, and the full backs push up to increase the number of options further up the pitch. Creativity comes from the three attacking midfielders- think of the first team when McDermott first took over and with McAnuff, Kebe and Sigurdsson behind Long.

Wipped
Location: If happy ever after did exist, I'd still be holding you like this

by Wipped » 09 Apr 2013 17:31

SCIAG
Adkins is a pragmatic manager. His success with Southampton was based around getting the full backs to hit deep crosses to Lambert. He will mix it up if the occasion demands it, as shown by all those long balls on Saturday.

The only reason you saw longballs at the weekend is because it's all we know, and we can't just impliment a passing game over night. He said it himself. You can't just undo all the hard work that's been done here. So yeah, you'll see some horrible football mixed with some good intentions until the summer, but after that it will be mostly on the floor football. Everyone mixes it up on occasion, but certainly not to the extent you would suggest we'll see more longball under NA than ED.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 09 Apr 2013 17:44

think of the first team when McDermott first took over and with McAnuff, Kebe and Sigurdsson behind Long.

which ironically is the exact system brian would have played if he had those personell all together now

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Apr 2013 18:24

Wipped
SCIAG
Adkins is a pragmatic manager. His success with Southampton was based around getting the full backs to hit deep crosses to Lambert. He will mix it up if the occasion demands it, as shown by all those long balls on Saturday.

The only reason you saw longballs at the weekend is because it's all we know, and we can't just impliment a passing game over night. He said it himself. You can't just undo all the hard work that's been done here. So yeah, you'll see some horrible football mixed with some good intentions until the summer, but after that it will be mostly on the floor football. Everyone mixes it up on occasion, but certainly not to the extent you would suggest we'll see more longball under NA than ED.

Erm... "more long ball under NA than ED" isn't very much extent at all. Brendan Rodgers is more likely to play long ball football than Pep Guardiola.

Agree with you Brendy, the thought of Sigurdsson in this current side makes me drool. Guthrie, Leigertwood and Pogrebnyak are all major improvements on Howard, Tabb and Long. I think we'd have stayed up comfortably with that side.

Forty

by Forty » 09 Apr 2013 19:21

stickywhisky Not playing a team from Wales

This. x 100,000,000.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 09 Apr 2013 19:24

Bournemouth H&A
Winning a few games
Saturday 3pm Football

JamieY26

by JamieY26 » 09 Apr 2013 19:51

-Not having an inadequate preseason and having to rely on post christmas form to do anything!

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 09 Apr 2013 20:00

- Deciding on a Friday to go to the game and getting a ticket with no issues.

- Not being treated like a relative dying of an embarrassing illness on MOTD by a small collection of the dullest men in the world.

- Day out in Bournemouth (I've not checked which league they are in so risk looking foolish here).

- Day out in Brighton