Worst game of the season.

What's been the worst game of the season?

Reading 5-7 Arsenal
8%
Wigan 3-2 Reading
2%
Villa 1-0 Reading
6%
Southampton 1-0 Reading
4%
Sunderland 3-0 Reading
8%
Reading 2-5 Arsenal
1%
Reading 0-3 Wigan
63%
Reading 1-2 Villa
1%
Reading 0-2 Southampton
3%
Other
2%

Total votes: 224
grey_squirrel

Re: Worst game of the season.

by grey_squirrel » 26 Apr 2013 19:21

On reflection and reviewing the posts here it is quite alarming just how many games you have to choose from; many for the same reasons and many other, worryingly, for different reasons. PLUS many other games that didn't even make the poll!

Ironic that this will still go down in RFC's record books as our 3rd most successful season (in terms of league position) when I cannot remember a more woeful relegation season after having seen them all since the mid seventies.

After all the hopes, jubilation and expectation of this time last year, it most certainly is depressing.

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 26 Apr 2013 19:57

This whole fucking season has been like an emetic voiding of the bowels while spinning listlessly on morphine.

No one game stands out as 'worst'.

All that stands is the jellified pool of semi-liquid spinal fluid of the reduced backbone of a customarily robust football club.

Stronger, more upright times will return.

But this season can - completely - cunt off.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 26 Apr 2013 21:52

grey_squirrel
After all the hopes, jubilation and expectation of this time last year, it most certainly is depressing.

Ain`t that the f*cking truth, getting soaked to the skin on Friar street waiting for the parade was so worth it wasn`t it?

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 27 Apr 2013 01:19

windermere_royal
grey_squirrel

Ain`t that the f*cking truth, getting soaked to the skin on Friar street waiting for the parade was so worth it wasn`t it?

oxf*rd the parade if we get promoted again with < 5% chance of staying up.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 27 Apr 2013 01:29

If Reading 5 - 7 Arsenal had been in the League then this would have to be my pick as worst game of the season.
Took me 3 1/2 hours to get to the game due to bad traffic, missed Reading's first 3 goals ffs, saw one Reading goal and then collapse. During my time at the game the scoreline was 7-2 lol.
Then took me 3 1/2 hours to drive back to uni that night, bad traffic once again. 7 hours total driving in one day, an hour for every Arsenal goal.
The only consolation was that it was only the League Cup, which doesn't really matter, but that also made the whole experience a bit of a waste of time as well.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 27 Apr 2013 12:39

The Wigan game, the only game I've ever left at half time.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 27 Apr 2013 13:33

Worst game of the season was playing "how cheap can we make this season" in the summer - AGAIN

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 27 Apr 2013 13:55

Barry the bird boggler Worst game of the season was playing "how cheap can we make this season" in the summer - AGAIN

At least we won that game.
I'm pretty sure we spent the least in the league, can't be bothered to double check.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 27 Apr 2013 18:01

grey_squirrel Ironic that this will still go down in RFC's record books as our 3rd most successful season (in terms of league position) when I cannot remember a more woeful relegation season after having seen them all since the mid seventies.

The worst team performances since Pardew picked Reading up from the bottom of Div 1. Never had the most technically gifted of players. But at least played with some spirit.

The take over appears to have sent Reading backwards. The club is just another a rich boys plaything like so many others these days. At least with JM at the helm you knew the score.

cpmurph

by cpmurph » 27 Apr 2013 18:24

I'm surprised Wigan is the leader, was my 2nd least favourite game but 5-7 Arsenal far outstripped it. I accepted our loss to Wigan once the 3rd goal went in but I couldn't stomach our squandering of a 4 goal advantage until many days afterwards....sickening!

Haven't read the thread btw so sorry if someone else has said this before.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 27 Apr 2013 18:27

Lower West
grey_squirrel Ironic that this will still go down in RFC's record books as our 3rd most successful season (in terms of league position) when I cannot remember a more woeful relegation season after having seen them all since the mid seventies.

The worst team performances since Pardew picked Reading up from the bottom of Div 1. Never had the most technically gifted of players. But at least played with some spirit.

The take over appears to have sent Reading backwards. The club is just another a rich boys plaything like so many others these days. At least with JM at the helm you knew the score.

What a bizarre thing to say, without the takeover we'd never have been promoted in the first place.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 27 Apr 2013 18:35

Lower West

Not really, essentially took over mid-last season. Enabled us to sign Roberts and a few others that made sure the team maintained consistent good form for the rest of the season. Without Roberts (and Connolly/Mullins to a much lesser extent) the team may well have slipped in form and not got automatic promotion.

As for this season, if you didn't know then based on transfers you'd probably assume JM was still Chairman. Probably the only significant difference between JM and AZ this season would be the sacking of McDermott.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 27 Apr 2013 20:14

winchester_royal
Lower West

What a bizarre thing to say, without the takeover we'd never have been promoted in the first place.

Maybe another season in the Championship would have given time to improve the team / squad. Take away super sub Le Fondre and we would have done a Derby this season.

The "Reading way" has been copied by other teams and built on. BHA for example now have a 30k capacity stadium. No rush for promotion.

MeMeMe

by MeMeMe » 27 Apr 2013 20:27

Wigan at home... the sheer embarrassment of not being able to get near a team in the relegation zone with us at the time!

John Peel

by John Peel » 27 Apr 2013 20:39

grey_squirrel On reflection and reviewing the posts here it is quite alarming just how many games you have to choose from; many for the same reasons and many other, worryingly, for different reasons. PLUS many other games that didn't even make the poll!

Ironic that this will still go down in RFC's record books as our 3rd most successful season (in terms of league position) when I cannot remember a more woeful relegation season after having seen them all since the mid seventies.

This is very telling. I've been watching since the mid 90s and I have to admit that this season was worse than other relegation seasons. I think maybe the next worse season after that was our first season back in the third tier in 1998. But this season is still the worst and most depressing for me, bar a spell after Christmas (thank God for that at least).

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 28 Apr 2013 01:29

John Peel
grey_squirrel On reflection and reviewing the posts here it is quite alarming just how many games you have to choose from; many for the same reasons and many other, worryingly, for different reasons. PLUS many other games that didn't even make the poll!

This is very telling. I've been watching since the mid 90s and I have to admit that this season was worse than other relegation seasons. I think maybe the next worse season after that was our first season back in the third tier in 1998. But this season is still the worst and most depressing for me, bar a spell after Christmas (thank God for that at least).

My first game was mid season 1998-99, I was five years old at the time. Just looked up Reading's past league finishes and realised that for the 3 seasons before that we were 19th, 18th then 24th.

If I'd had any sense as a five year old I probably would have steered well clear from Reading based on that form, luckily I didn't really have much choice in the family weekend activities. My first season where we finished even in the bottom half of the league was not until TEN YEARS later, when we got relegated from the Prem. I guess I've been pretty lucky/spoilt.

15 seasons as a fan and only 2 seasons in the bottom half of the league (including this one) (both relegations, I don't do mild disappointment).
Out of the other 13 seasons: 4 playoff campaigns (all unsuccessful but still good), and 3 automatic promotions (2 as champions).
On that note I'd better stop complaining about this seasons failings.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 28 Apr 2013 01:39

Whilst looking at Reading's past season finishes I've unearthed what some might consider a decent stat.

If Reading win all four remaining games 1-0, then we will beat our Premiership finish of '07/08, on goal difference by 1.

'07/08 Games; 38, Points: 36, Goals for: 41, Goals against: 66
'12/13 Games; 34, Points: 24, Goals for: 37, Goals against: 65

Pretty unfortunate that the stars can't align for us to get a complete replica, but this would take 4 wins, scoring only 4 goals, whilst still conceding one (which is as possible as us avoiding relegation).

Hopefully this was of interest to a few people at least.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 28 Apr 2013 10:07

Reading 0 Wigan 3,game we all thought we would win but then realised what a crap side we are,out of our depth.Relegation will be a blessing .

philM

by philM » 28 Apr 2013 10:26

Not the worst game, but deserves a mention as the most boring - the home 0-0 against Norwich in November.

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 28 Apr 2013 16:24

0-0 at home to QPR. Two teams that must win, playing with no urgency or spirit. Gutless.