Who will be our main promotion rivals 2013-14

188 posts
Westwood52
Hob Nob Regular

Re: This season's championship playoffs...

by Westwood52 » 11 May 2013 09:57

Having now been through this crap twice now-I wonder if the promoted teams fans know what they are in for-I almost feel sorry for them..

Basically the Prem is a world apart from the Chumpionship; in terms of money and ambition. At any one time only three clubs can win it and say another four look to get into Europe-something like ten clubs will be fighting like crazy just to survive get their forty points and relax.

That said I would not deny them their opportunity to get into the big time-who knows they might do a Swansea-although even for them next season is likely to find them out.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 11 May 2013 10:16

Although the drum was annoying, thought the Palace fans created a good atmosphere last night.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 11 May 2013 10:19

I should point, why I think it's improved I don't think it's anywhere near the prem yet.

Just seemed like more teams trying to be more careful with the ball from what I saw.

They still weren't particularly good at it, just overall less hoofball going on.

*Also can we have some shit hot Cheerleaders as well? Seriously.

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 11 May 2013 10:49

Anybody who thinks it will be easy is in for a shock

cpmurph

Re: Who will be our main promotion rivals next season?

by cpmurph » 11 May 2013 11:42

I think, until the transfer window, speculation on who our rivals will be (and whether we'll be anywhere near promotion ourselves) is pointless

jellytot

by jellytot » 11 May 2013 12:30

Have seen a lot of the championship this season, and although it will be tough
We have nothing to fear so long as have a good preseason. Clearly we got last summer all wrong.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 11 May 2013 12:31

Westwood52 Having now been through this crap twice now-I wonder if the promoted teams fans know what they are in for-I almost feel sorry for them..

Basically the Prem is a world apart from the Chumpionship; in terms of money and ambition. At any one time only three clubs can win it and say another four look to get into Europe-something like ten clubs will be fighting like crazy just to survive get their forty points and relax.

That said I would not deny them their opportunity to get into the big time-who knows they might do a Swansea-although even for them next season is likely to find them out.

Agree with that. You do get the occasional team outside the top six winning the FA Cup but aside from that it is essentially the top six only who have a realistic chance of winning anything. This is not news of course and anyone looking for the Corinthian spirit in the premiership will be looking for a long time.

But the bottom 12 or so teams are desperately scrapping to stay in the division and half the championship are desperately trying to get there.

Why? The answer is that they are all chasing the financial rewards of Premiership status. Yes, most teams have replaced the glory of winning trophies with the pursuit of money alone now being the objective. They might as well all queue up at a cash till and fight to put their debit cards in the slot first.

What does this mean for fans. High prices, some entertainm also football driven by desperation and percentages.

It would be appropriate if when teams confirm their premiership place for the next season if fans simply hold up wads of notes to express their appreciation, for that is what is really being celebrated.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 11 May 2013 12:59

It's always a tough league but this year has been poor. Cardiff 2 points less than us. Hull 59 goals and still promoted? Leicester won 3 of there last 17 games and are in the play offs. TBF Championship 1st legs are usually crap. Reading/Cardiff 2011 anyone?

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 11 May 2013 13:15

Jackson Corner TBF Championship 1st legs are usually crap. Reading/Cardiff 2011 anyone?

And you can watch that rubbish here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_xoztYMi0Y :lol:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 May 2013 13:17

That's it, best shut the forum down.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 11 May 2013 13:45

• Cardiff - two points less than us.
  • Hull - goal difference of plus nine.
  • Watford - poor end of season form.
  • Brighton - best end of season form - 19 points from ten.
  • Palace - worst end of season form - 8 points from ten.
  • Leicester - 68 points - and they reach the play-offs!?
  • Palace and Leicester wouldn't have reached the play-offs with their points totals last season
  • Every side in the top six, last season, picked up at least 18 points from their last ten matches.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 11 May 2013 14:29

Clyde1998
Jackson Corner TBF Championship 1st legs are usually crap. Reading/Cardiff 2011 anyone?

And you can watch that rubbish here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_xoztYMi0Y :lol:

We won the tie in that leg by injuring Bellamy.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 11 May 2013 14:54

Clyde1998

Thanks it was every bit as bad as I remember. The Forest/Swansea game was even worse the night before.

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 11 May 2013 16:20

There will be no "main" promotion rivals next season, thats the thing about the championship, every club is in with a chance, most competative league in the world. In the prem everyone knows who will be up the top and have a good indication as to who will fight for relegation

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 11 May 2013 16:22

I have seen Brighton and Crawley twice this season and in my opinion there is little difference between league 1 and the championship in terms of technical ability.

I saw Brighton play Leicester towards the end of the season and it was dire - if we sign three or four players in key areas and prepare properly (as I am sure we will) we should at least be top 6.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 11 May 2013 17:00

Mid Sussex Royal I have seen Brighton and Crawley twice this season and in my opinion there is little difference between league 1 and the championship in terms of technical ability.

I saw Brighton play Leicester towards the end of the season and it was dire - if we sign three or four players in key areas and prepare properly (as I am sure we will) we should at least be top 6.

Saw League 1 Colchester United a few times this season, and they were awful technically. Their only player with technical quality, Wordsworth (who Reading would have done well to sign) was pinched by the Championship's Ipswich.

Having not been to a third tier game in 10 years, or however long its been, it was a pleasant reminder of how far Reading have come.
Obviously, there is a great deal of variance in style of play between different teams in the same league though, maybe Crawley's style is decent on the eye.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 11 May 2013 19:40

if Wigan go down surely they will be nailed on to piss the league, but maybe they will lose their boss and some of their stars.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 11 May 2013 19:42

windermere_royal if Wigan go down surely they will be nailed on to piss the league, but maybe they will lose their boss and some of their stars.

Europa League might destroy them, too many games early on. Look at what it did to Birmingham.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 11 May 2013 21:25

I'm not reading the whole thread.

Bit f*cking presumptuous to think we'll be anywhere near the top two next season ain't it?

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 11 May 2013 22:03

Yep.

Will be pleased if we squeak into the playoffs.

188 posts