Thames Valley Royals

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Thames Valley Royals

by who are ya? » 20 Aug 2011 15:33

I would have probably still not been born.

Madstad to Nadderud

by Madstad to Nadderud » 26 Aug 2011 11:13

Once this was suggested regarding the Thames Valley Royals were there any designs drawn up for what a new home and away kit would have looked like? I remember the news when the idea of Thames Valley Royals was suggested but can't remeber whether they had suggested new team colours etc. Was it not suggested that the majority of the players to form the new squad would have consisted of mainly Oxford players as well? Weren't Oxford sitting higer up the divisions than RFC at this point?

Pete10

by Pete10 » 05 Mar 2012 20:21

It has now come out that The fat Oxford git wanted to enagage Swindon in his master plan hmmmmmmmm

Vic_Flange

by Vic_Flange » 05 Mar 2012 20:59

Like people have touched on (oo-er) "we" would have played in a fabulous, all-seater stadium in Didcot.The capacity of this mecca? 10 000.

Anyway, when old Bob-Bob-Bob Maxwell got found out, the stadium (assuming he still owned "us" *) would have been one of his assets so thank God for Roger Smee who bought the club, even if he did turn in to a tit in the end before SJM saved us.

Maxwell drowned - suicide or murder and this is the place for that discussion - on 5 November 1991. Quickly after it was found out about him nicking a wee £400 million (yes, £400 million) from his employees pensions. That would have included the TVR pensions. SJM as we know bought us 1990, i.e. whilst Maxwell was still alive and on the nick.

All in all, I'm glad as we all are the Thames Valley Royals died before Maxwell did.

* Would I have gone to see the TVRs? Probably, but I cant see myself geting [as I do know] a Season Ticket.

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 06 Mar 2012 08:44

Pete10 It has now come out that The fat Oxford git wanted to enagage Swindon in his master plan hmmmmmmmm

The timing of this is interesting, because there are rumours that Oxford are in financial trouble and Kassam wants his loans repaid. He has allegedly threatened to remove them from the stadium as of next season if the loans aren't repaid, and a possible ground share at The County Ground has been mooted, with a long-term new 20,000 capacity stadium built for the both of them to share.

It's only rumours at this stage but they're popping up all over the place.

Also Swindon in similar financial trouble. Binning their youth teams from next season as a cost cutting exercise, and a huge wage bill since bringing Di Canio in.

RE: TVR - I would have gone but I would never have invested in a season ticket. I would have ended up supporting a local non-league side like Maidenhead or Basingstoke Town.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 06 Mar 2012 09:32

Pete10 It has now come out that The fat Oxford git wanted to enagage Swindon in his master plan hmmmmmmmm

has it only just come out?

I'm sure I remember Maxwell being quoted as saying "I'd be surprised if Swindon aren't already thinking about joining with us" when the initial TVR deal was being mooted.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 06 Mar 2012 10:34

A deal for a TVR? We could have had Top Gear drooling.....

Vic_Flange

by Vic_Flange » 06 Mar 2012 11:43

Those Swindon b*stards too?

So would it have become the Thames Valley M4 Corrider Royal Robins?

F*ck me. "Shall we sing for you?" would never have been more poingnant

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 06 Mar 2012 11:47

Vale of the White Horse FC, with a ground down a country lane near Faringdon

Blue Heart

by Blue Heart » 06 Mar 2012 12:19

Vic_Flange Those Swindon b*stards too?

So would it have become the Thames Valley M4 Corrider Royal Robins?

F*ck me. "Shall we sing for you?" would never have been more poingnant

Thames Valley M4 Corrider Robins Reliant? with a Del boy like Chairman and we would all be waiting for the rest of the wheels to fall off.

under the tin

by under the tin » 06 Mar 2012 13:00

Cobi

The timing of this is interesting, because there are rumours that Oxford are in financial trouble and Kassam wants his loans repaid. He has allegedly threatened to remove them from the stadium as of next season if the loans aren't repaid, and a possible ground share at The County Ground has been mooted, with a long-term new 20,000 capacity stadium built for the both of them to share.

It's only rumours at this stage but they're popping up all over the place.

Also Swindon in similar financial trouble. Binning their youth teams from next season as a cost cutting exercise, and a huge wage bill since bringing Di Canio in.

RE: TVR - I would have gone but I would never have invested in a season ticket. I would have ended up supporting a local non-league side like Maidenhead or Basingstoke Town.

Swindon and Oxford merging would only happen over several thousand dead bodies. No chance.
Re TVR - I would have washed my hands of it completely. That, I would suspect would also be the view of the majority of the fans of both Oxford and Swindon in this case.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 12 May 2013 18:35

BUMP.

30 Years Ago.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 12 May 2013 19:25

Though to be fair it's probably easier to get to Didcot from the town centre than it is to get to the Mad Stad :D There's a few pubs around there as well!

Divvy

by Divvy » 12 May 2013 21:08

Has the club let an adult update the clubs twitter account? Suddenly the club recognise we weren't formed in 1998 and we're even embracing our past.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 13 May 2013 03:09

LoyalRoyalFan BUMP.

30 Years Ago.

I was on that march down the Oxford Road aged 18 which looked the average age of the marchers! I wonder how many more nobbers are in that photo? I'm proud I played a small if perhaps insignificant part of the club's survival.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 13 May 2013 09:08

defo Brendy in the tache and glasses, under the M of Maxwell.

Seb is the toothy Tory next to the N in No (left eye partly covered), Leon far right with the sideburns, agitating.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 13 May 2013 10:03

looks like rod Stewart top left of flag!

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 13 May 2013 10:33

Jackson Corner
LoyalRoyalFan BUMP.

30 Years Ago.

I was on that march down the Oxford Road aged 18 which looked the average age of the marchers! I wonder how many more nobbers are in that photo? I'm proud I played a small if perhaps insignificant part of the club's survival.

I'm not in that photo but I'm somewhere in the march - aged 21.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 13 May 2013 12:41

LoyalRoyalFan BUMP.

30 Years Ago.

Neil Webb is in the bottom right hand corner with the shirt on.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 13 May 2013 12:50

Rev Algenon Stickleback H

has it only just come out?

I'm sure I remember Maxwell being quoted as saying "I'd be surprised if Swindon aren't already thinking about joining with us" when the initial TVR deal was being mooted.

Yes you are correct. At the time I was working in Swindon and Maxwell took part in a phone in on BBC Radio Oxford about his plans. To wind up my Swindon supporting colleagues who were taking the piss over the news that we were merging with Oxford United I phoned in and asked Maxwell whether, given that TVR were to play at a stadium in Didcot, he envisaged Swindon merging as well. I was quite surprised when he said that he did forsee Swindon being involved. Caused quite a stir in Swindon and I still have the front page of the Swindon Evening Advertiser somewhere in the loft with a headline something like "Maxwell Plans Town Merger". However I recall that the Swindon board soon came out and said no way.