End of season

grey_squirrel

Re: End of season

by grey_squirrel » 20 May 2013 12:52

St. Brynjar It's going to be a long summer. I just want to start again in the Championship next Saturday, not in 3 months time.

Jeepers! I don't. Even Yeovil could probably turn us over at the moment.

(No disrespect to Yeovil)

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 20 May 2013 13:04

McCarthy is the big positive

and the emergence of Morrison too.

However very frustrating that we go down because of the exact same reason last time round ..... why can't we learn our lesson for once its a shame as there was the talk of the expansion, improvement of facilities but obviously that all rested on us establishing ourselves in the PL.

Southampton and West Ham had their game changers that they splashed out big money on (Big Andy and Ramirez), what did we do? Thats right pay big sums in signing on fees for players who didn't even feature in the squad till BMD finally left.

I'd say the Villa away game and the Southampton one were the games where I knew we were going down. Remember we only had Tabb and Legs playing one of them got injured and MCD brought on a winger instead of Guthrie. That is when I felt he should of gone if any time.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 20 May 2013 13:20

bracksroyal10 and the emergence of Morrison too.

He's young and raw but at times this season has looked totally out of his depth. I haven't worked out is that because of the failing of his colleagues or him. Next year should give us a better indication of how good he is.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 May 2013 13:24

AthleticoSpizz (urzzzz)....maybe because we had to give our heroes from the previous season, realistic incentives, ie. a team place in the prem?

Yes, we all know the "end game" in the Prem, but.....why would players want to get promoted to it and subsequently lose their jobs?

Because:

Fundamentally they are all (or at least the vast majority) real competitors who like winning games and winning championships/promotions.
Because they will get big bonuses and big pay increases.
If they play well enough they will keep their jobs and be playing in the PL.
Even if they do lose their jobs, they will be more attractive to other clubs having won promotion the year before.

The 'loyalty' approach is as flawed as the 'Madejski Way'. It ends in failure and, I suspect it also p*sses off the better players who see the team/club failing because too much loyalty is being displayed to players who just aren't good enough to play at the higher level required.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 May 2013 13:57

Lol at it still being everyone else's fault,and Guthrie still getting a free ride despite achieving the square root of feck all.even when played in every game

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 20 May 2013 14:06

melonhead Lol at it still being everyone else's fault,and Guthrie still getting a free ride despite achieving the square root of feck all.even when played in every game

He passed the ball excellently at least twice yesterday.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 20 May 2013 14:55

The emergence of McCarthy is just about the only positive for me. We have a top-notch future England keeper there. Mozza shows promise as well: his one-man show against Everton was remarkable.

The rest of the season can just fu ck off.

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 20 May 2013 15:37

Ark Royal The emergence of McCarthy is just about the only positive for me. We have a top-notch future England keeper there. Mozza shows promise as well: his one-man show against Everton was remarkable.

The rest of the season can just fu ck off.

Even the West Brom and Chelsea home games?

Obligatory:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 May 2013 16:24

hugely entertaing and dramatic season. hugely disappointing, but also quite predictable

BenSmith91

by BenSmith91 » 20 May 2013 16:55

Saw someone on twitter the other day described our defensive lines 'empty crisp packets in a hurricane', for me, that completely summed up our season. Horrific defending from start to finish. Roll on next year.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 20 May 2013 17:01

Winchester Royal We've had a great example of how NOT to conduct a premiership campaign, so won't do it again?

I think thats wrong. I agree with this quote

Sheffield Hallam University sports finance expert Rob Wilson believes the club have a bright future.

"I think to be fair to Reading, they spent very wisely," Wilson told BBC Sport.

"They didn't get too ambitious. They spent some money but perhaps would have liked to have spent more.

"But you have to remember Premier League wages, salaries and transfer fees have been inflated for a number of years and irrespective of the fact they have been relegated, they've done themselves justice financially.

"They've followed the Blackpool model, which was get promoted, clear any outstanding debt, consolidate for the future and really try and push on for next year to get promoted at the first attempt.

That last sentence is how I think they have gone after it. We are in such a better position then the likes of QPR to come straight back up, this time with no debt and can spend. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22338180

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 20 May 2013 17:02

Ill add that Obita is blossoming as is the under 18s squad.

royalfanforever

by royalfanforever » 20 May 2013 18:03

For me, McCarthy's performance at Liverpool and comeback at home against West Brom, too.