Jason Roberts has left Reading?

158 posts
soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Jason Roberts has left Reading?

by soggy biscuit » 22 May 2013 12:03

Reading West I appreciate the banter that is on this forum, I have been on this forum for over 10 years I may not be a prolific poster but I am deeply offended by this.

I am equally deeply offended by it, no more, no less.

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

by Fox Talbot » 22 May 2013 12:04

Alexander Litvinenko
Fox Talbot
Alexander Litvinenko Just FTR, JR played more minutes (709) than any other PL striker without scoring this season.

How many playing minutes since his last goal for any PL club? I believe it's been quite a while.

He scored for Blackburn in the 22nd minutes of the last game of the 2010/11 season, then last year played in 9 games (4 of them sub appeareaneces) totalling 443 minutes with no goals.

So that makes it :

2010/11 68 minutes
2011/12 443 minutes
2012/13 709 minutes = 1220 minutes (or 13 and a half full matches)

Thanks for that. Steve Death managed 1103 minutes without conceding a League goal and we thought that was a long time.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 22 May 2013 13:06

72 bus
Extended-Phenotype
You should be mindful that the full pain of racism isn't really felt when someone from a vulnerable minority delivers a slur on someone of the invulnerable majority, with no real history of sustained brutality and fear towards his subject.

Not saying it's fair or right, just saying it is very different - and the above applies to any country of any race.

How do you know how anyone else feels when they are racially abused ?
It is not different at all, There are no special cases where racial abuse is concerned.

What a condescending twat you are

That wasn’t really necessary, was it?

Like it or not, it IS different. If you are white living in a white society where you’ve suffered zero discrimination or violence on account of your colour and have no history of fear and misery which can be conjured by terms traditionally saturated in violence, I find it hard to believe as a recipient of a racist slur by a minority you are going to feel the same way than if the roles were reversed, being the minority attacked by one from the majority, in a society where this aggression towards you has an ugly past.

In LA, I can’t say I was as offended at being called a ‘cracker’ as my then girlfriend was to being called a ‘n---er’. I simply had less point of reference, had little family history of sufferance due to such racism, have never been overlooked for work, been fearful of my life or bullied growing up according to the colour of my skin – it just doesn’t register as much when I’m called out for my race. Neither is right, but the sufferance was variable.

Much like ‘brown haired idiot’ wouldn’t really register in this country, but ‘ginger’ does. Insulting someone as a ‘daft blonde’ probably doesn’t scar anyone in Scandinavia. Women feel more threatened by sexism then men, on account men are still the dominant sex and have little history of being made to feel like a second class citizen. “You white c/nt” is going to trouble you more in Zimbabwe than in Wheathampstead.

If my 5.5 mate grew up in Japan I doubt he’d have been that troubled by comments regarding his height in an argument. He probably would have been more concerned with being called ‘gweilo’ for his ‘ghost skin’ or ‘gaijin’ for his ‘big fat eyes’, since that would have placed him in an uneasy minority.

You may be equally as threatened by the individual(s) getting aggressive with you, but of course there will be a difference in the distress a trait attribution can cause according to the sufferance or marginalisation experienced in respect to that trait –there isn’t anything condescending about that.

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 22 May 2013 13:18

Extended-Phenotype

Like it or not, it IS different. If you are white living in a white society where you’ve suffered zero discrimination or violence on account of your colour and have no history of fear and misery which can be conjured by terms traditionally saturated in violence, I find it hard to believe as a recipient of a racist slur by a minority you are going to feel the same way than if the roles were reversed, being the minority attacked by one from the majority, in a society where this aggression towards you has an ugly past.

In LA, I can’t say I was as offended at being called a ‘cracker’ as my then girlfriend was to being called a ‘n---er’. I simply had less point of reference, had little family history of sufferance due to such racism, have never been overlooked for work, been fearful of my life or bullied growing up according to the colour of my skin – it just doesn’t register as much when I’m called out for my race. Neither is right, but the sufferance was variable.

Much like ‘brown haired idiot’ wouldn’t really register in this country, but ‘ginger’ does. Insulting someone as a ‘daft blonde’ probably doesn’t scar anyone in Scandinavia. Women feel more threatened by sexism then men, on account men are still the dominant sex and have little history of being made to feel like a second class citizen. “You white c/nt” is going to trouble you more in Zimbabwe than in Wheathampstead.

If my 5.5 mate grew up in Japan I doubt he’d have been that troubled by comments regarding his height in an argument. He probably would have been more concerned with being called ‘gweilo’ for his ‘ghost skin’ or ‘gaijin’ for his ‘big fat eyes’, since that would have placed him in an uneasy minority.

You may be equally as threatened by the individual(s) getting aggressive with you, but of course there will be a difference in the distress a trait attribution can cause according to the sufferance or marginalisation experienced in respect to that trait –there isn’t anything condescending about that.

Well you have explained how you feel about being racially abused, but you cannot speak for everyone.
You simply have no idea how I might feel, do not believe for a second that everyone feels the same way you do.

And you are still a condesending (possibly white) twat

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 22 May 2013 13:41

72 bus
Extended-Phenotype

Well you have explained how you feel about being racially abused, but you cannot speak for everyone.
You simply have no idea how I might feel, do not believe for a second that everyone feels the same way you do.

And you are still a condesending (possibly white) twat

'condescending'...

And I'm not saying how you feel. I'm saying distress is subjective.

Person A calls first person B and then person C a “spastic faced retard”. Person C has a sister who recently died of a heart disorder related to her condition of Downs Syndrome. Person C is going to feel more distress from the insult, simply because of the association with a painful experience.

It’s pretty stupid to believe everyone will feel equally offended by the same reference.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 22 May 2013 13:52

E-P: People react differently to insults according to the context.

72 bus: You can't tell people how to react to insults, you condescending twat.

:roll:

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 22 May 2013 13:53

:lol:

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 22 May 2013 13:57

Extended-Phenotype That wasn’t really necessary, was it?

Bear in mind that it is still possible to be white and an ethnic minority to some extent in England.
Perhaps someone goes to a school or lives in a town where white people are an ethnic minority.
Technically, in my house I am an ethnic minority: five guys (2 black, 2 mixed race, 1 white) and I am the only white one. This situation has obviously not led to any racism, we're all friends.

Whilst in general I think it is unusual for white people to feel the racism felt by other races, it can still occur.
In terms of racist slurs, I agree there are none that cause/should cause great offence to white people. In fact, I would argue that the most racially offensive thing to say to a white person is to call him a racist, hence my initial offence at Reading West's 'closet racist' accusation.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 22 May 2013 14:19

Agreed PO, hence my very first post in this conversation:

Extended-Phenotype
You should be mindful that the full pain of racism isn't really felt when someone from a vulnerable minority delivers a slur on someone of the invulnerable majority.

At risk of being repetitive, the impact of an insult is variable according to context, situation, who you are and who the assailant is.

Like my skin colour, I have many other traits which have never been a source of pain, hence I'm unlikely to be mortified if you were to comment on them under general circumstances.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 22 May 2013 14:32

Extended-Phenotype Agreed PO, hence my very first post in this conversation:

Extended-Phenotype
You should be mindful that the full pain of racism isn't really felt when someone from a vulnerable minority delivers a slur on someone of the invulnerable majority.

At risk of being repetitive, the impact of an insult is variable according to context, situation, who you are and who the assailant is.

Like my skin colour, I have many other traits which have never been a source of pain, hence I'm unlikely to be mortified if you were to comment on them under general circumstances.

OK you stinky breathed tiny penis person.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 22 May 2013 14:33

That is what we're doing, right?

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 22 May 2013 14:38

Royal With Cheese
Extended-Phenotype Agreed PO, hence my very first post in this conversation:

Extended-Phenotype

OK you stinky breathed tiny penis person.

Both sources of great suffering for me and my family going back generations, as well you know.

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 22 May 2013 14:57

Pepe the Horseman
RockheadRumple By the way guys, myself - RockheadRumple - and this 'Rumpole' guy are two different people. 'RockheadRumpole' seems to be an unknown mutant of some kind.

I always thought it was RockheadRumble.

Inspired by the great Rockhead Rumple of David Firth's legendary series 'Burnt Face Man'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fisH9SfgTY

John Peel

by John Peel » 22 May 2013 15:11

melonhead
BTW, not only white people can be racist. It annoys me that if a white person says something about another race it can be interpreted immediately as being racist, but when a black says something about whites it goes by without a second thought.

live with it. same goes for abuse welsh people, or gingers, they just have to put up with it.
one day we will live in a world without predjudice and h8.but today isnt that day

No, I won't live with it. That's just the point. It's because people didn't 'live with it' that stuff changes. Including racism. Sorry, nothing against you personally, but I fcking hate the phrase 'live with it'.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 22 May 2013 15:17

+1

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 22 May 2013 15:27

Has Jason Roberts left reading?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 22 May 2013 15:27

melonhead
BTW, not only white people can be racist. It annoys me that if a white person says something about another race it can be interpreted immediately as being racist, but when a black says something about whites it goes by without a second thought.

live with it. same goes for abuse welsh people, or gingers, they just have to put up with it.
one day we will live in a world without predjudice and h8.but today isnt that day

What about Ginger Welsh people?

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 22 May 2013 15:52

Tommy Youlden's Ears Has Jason Roberts left reading?

Who?

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 24 May 2013 18:00

He's "taking part" in a charity match at Brentford on Monday.

I'm not sure that's the best idea considering he's supposedly a long way off being fit to play again [professionally...]

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 24 May 2013 18:15

Tommy Youlden's Ears Has Jason Roberts left reading?

Racist and off topic. You should be ashamed

158 posts