CONFIRMED - Royston Drenthe

2007 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: RUMOUR - Royston Drenthe

by winchester_royal » 14 Jun 2013 23:10

Really? I thought it was pronounced ' 8) '

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 14 Jun 2013 23:12

tulip
LightwaterRoyal Ive always pronounced it DREN-the Dren being the dominant syllable and with the ''th'' sounding like someone with a lisp.

Correct

Why dank u.

kentuckyfriedcharlie

by kentuckyfriedcharlie » 14 Jun 2013 23:13

'lista
fruits I just hope this guy doesn't, sign his history is terrible we might get six good games out of him in the whole season,the damage his antics will cause in the dressing room could be very costly. He has an attitude problem big time. If he signs then my season is ruined before it starts' Mourinho ,Moyes couldn't, control him so can,t see NIgel Adkins doing any better. Just hope this is not a policy handed down from the RUssian oligarch that RFC must sign big name players whether they are has beens or never weres
this possible signing frightens me to near death.

Do one you hand-wringing bell-end. :wink:

you legend

Mintona

by Mintona » 14 Jun 2013 23:21

Arnie_Pie I thought it was pronounced 'drant-eh'.

That's how I've been saying it too.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 15 Jun 2013 09:35

I hope I shall be able to pronounce it C-R-U-Y-F-F

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 15 Jun 2013 09:41

Drenthe is a province in the Netherlands and on the wiki is a pronounciation

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... renthe.ogg

Rolling R and silent H

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 15 Jun 2013 09:55

tulip Drenthe is a province in the Netherlands and on the wiki is a pronounciation

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... renthe.ogg

Rolling R and silent H

Good post, thank you very much. If only Le Fondre was a place in France...

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 15 Jun 2013 10:15

Has anyone seen this little piece - http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... bs%3Dqdr:h
Last edited by royalp-we on 15 Jun 2013 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 15 Jun 2013 10:19

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 15 Jun 2013 10:34

royalp-we Has anyone seen this little piece - http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... bs%3Dqdr:h

Great little article! They are implying we have signed Robin Friday II !

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 15 Jun 2013 10:57

gazzer, loyal royal http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11673/8776764/Transfer-news-Agent-says-Royston-Drenthe-to-sign-for-Reading

You know it's a goer when gazzer gets involved 8)

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 15 Jun 2013 11:02

The Prisoner
royalp-we Has anyone seen this little piece - http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... bs%3Dqdr:h

Great little article! They are implying we have signed Robin Friday II !

If so, I can hardly wait!!! :wink:

GSY-Royal

by GSY-Royal » 15 Jun 2013 12:43

If they think we're one of England's dullest clubs then they've clearly never seen our sea of scarves...

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 15 Jun 2013 12:46

I'm looking forward to seeing Royston Drenthe out on the lash on a pair of stilts.

All joking aside, AZ was going on about overhauling the scouting system and if the result of that is that, within 9 months we know about the relegation release clause for a player who, on his day, is world class, with potentially the best part of his career ahead of him and we are first in line to sign him despite not being a top flight club, then we are very, very lucky to have him owning our club.

My only fear is whether this is all financially sustainable in the long run.

'lista
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by 'lista » 15 Jun 2013 13:13

From Despair To Where? My only fear is whether this is all financially sustainable in the long run.

If we don't promoted it isn't financially sustainable at all. Big gamble.

Exciting innnit? :)

yappy

by yappy » 15 Jun 2013 13:24

4 years of parachute payments give us a bit more stability than usual & the fact that we barely spent last season. I think this season will we make a real push to get promotion, but if we fail we could have quite a few departures next season.

That said, fact is more players will leave. We've already cleared out a lot of players (Tabb, Church, Hunt, Harte, Shorey, Mills etc) and presuming most players had relegation wage deduction clauses in their contracts, our wage bill currently should be significantly lower already. If we sell a few players, lets say Federici & Pog, we'd make a few million in fees and get rid of our highest earners, so it looks sustainable to me. That's not mentioning Anton putting some money into the club.

We're in the silly season for transfer rumours too. Rumours that we may spend £5mil+ on the likes of Hooper may not come to fruit.

Lovely hot donuts!
Location: Lower Earley and/or Birmingham. Feckless student. Twitter: @RussellLParker

by Lovely hot donuts! » 15 Jun 2013 14:16

'lista
From Despair To Where? My only fear is whether this is all financially sustainable in the long run.

If we don't promoted it isn't financially sustainable at all. Big gamble.

Exciting innnit? :)

Also remember there's a good chance Royston will want some sort of non-promotion release clause which is actually to our advantage as far as finances go.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 16 Jun 2013 01:27

GSY-Royal

If they think we're one of England's dullest clubs then they've clearly never seen our sea of scarves...

:D

Divvy

by Divvy » 16 Jun 2013 14:06

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/06/15/vr- ... drenthe-e/

As Royston Drenthe is linked with a move to the Royals, it could be the tough love of David Moyes that inspires him to fulfil his potential.

Reports last week suggested Dutch winger Royston Drenthe is on the verge of joining Reading.

The 26-year-old’s agent told NUsport, “The contract has been signed. A few small things have to be arranged before it’s official.

“He has a good feeling with the club and wants to play in England.”

But where most signings are hailed it would be no surprise if, given the player’s history, Royals fans viewed this one more with trepidation than elation.

There is no doubting Drenthe’s ability. After an impressive start to his career at Feyenoord, a move to Real Madrid followed. Although the fact that he started only 15 La Liga games in three seasons speaks of a player who was surrounded by, rather than part of, the Galacticos.

His loan move to Goodison Park in 2011 was seen as quite a masterstroke from then-manager David Moyes. But while his time at Everton was fruitful, four goals and eight assists spoke of a fleeting rather than consistent talent.

In full-flow, the midfielder was a sight to behold. He had the beating of many an opponent, and seemed to see obstacles as figments of his imagination to run past without a second look.

But off the field he caused problems, turning up late for training and causing Moyes to omit him from the squad. Just as he had done at previous loan club Hercules where he arrived a week after the winter break had ended.

Most recently, after a move to Russian club Alania Vladikavkaz, he was filmed allegedly drinking while driving.

And now he is set to arrive on Nigel Adkins’ doorstep – undoubtedly talented but with baggage both literal and metaphorical.

But should the move ultimately work, Reading will owe the new Manchester United manager a considerable debt of gratitude. Because while the Dutchman failed to make the most of his opportunity with the Toffees, he has gone on record to explain the impact Moyes had on him.

Speaking in February he said, “I can only say that Moyes was right in every way. I was not living like a professional player in Liverpool.

“Now I can’t believe I blew it at Everton. It is one of the most fantastic clubs in the Premier League.

“My attitude and poor mentality are the reasons I ruined my career there.”

As he readies himself for a move to the Madejski Stadium, he will surely remember his last experience of English football.

In which case, Reading may be on the verge of signing a belatedly-polished gem.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Jun 2013 14:44

I like that.

2007 posts