Fixtures 2013-14 - First Game

122 posts
Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Fixtures 2013-14 - First Game

by Silver Fox » 19 Jun 2013 12:16

BBC have confirmed the fixtures they'd like to show live here

Lovely hot donuts!
Location: Lower Earley and/or Birmingham. Feckless student. Twitter: @RussellLParker

by Lovely hot donuts! » 19 Jun 2013 12:19

Just seen that while we're playing Leicester on boxing day, QPR are playing Forest!
Surely it would be better for us to play QPR and Leicester to play Forest?

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 19 Jun 2013 12:37

Lovely hot donuts! Just seen that while we're playing Leicester on boxing day, QPR are playing Forest!

It doesn't work as simply as that - the fixture are all so interrelated and with so many constraints that changing that would change lots of other things and might not even be possible.

For instance the police in all those locations probably have specified they don't want a high-profile, local derby game on Boxing Day.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Jun 2013 12:43

:?

Lovely hot donuts!
Location: Lower Earley and/or Birmingham. Feckless student. Twitter: @RussellLParker

by Lovely hot donuts! » 19 Jun 2013 12:45

Alexander Litvinenko
Lovely hot donuts! Just seen that while we're playing Leicester on boxing day, QPR are playing Forest!

It doesn't work as simply as that - the fixture are all so interrelated and with so many constraints that changing that would change lots of other things and might not even be possible.

For instance the police in all those locations probably have specified they don't want a high-profile, local derby game on Boxing Day.

I suppose, although I don't think any of those are so high profile really! And I would have though that, seeing as boxing day is the day people are most fussy about, they would decide the boxing day games first and then work from there. I know it's probably more complicated than that but that doesn't stop it irritating people (by which I mean me)!

Terry Tibbs

by Terry Tibbs » 19 Jun 2013 12:51

Whore Jackie
Bowman's Quiver
Whore Jackie *awaits Bowman's Quiver annual post*

Sorry to disappoint.

*swaps Terry Tibbs with Bowman's Quiver on spreadsheet*

:P

thanks

Maxwell Couldnt Swim

by Maxwell Couldnt Swim » 19 Jun 2013 12:54

Tokyo Sex Whale
Pepe the Horseman :?

There's always one.

2/10 for effort

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 19 Jun 2013 12:56

I can make 3 home games this year, 2 of which (Watford and QPR) are likely to be moved for television. So there seems little point buying a season ticket now. Which is very disappointing.

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 19 Jun 2013 14:10

Lovely hot donuts!
Alexander Litvinenko

I suppose, although I don't think any of those are so high profile really! And I would have though that, seeing as boxing day is the day people are most fussy about, they would decide the boxing day games first and then work from there. I know it's probably more complicated than that but that doesn't stop it irritating people (by which I mean me)!

There generally are attempts to avoid 'sensitive' fixtures on Boxing Day. There's also the fact that Leicester and Forest are both currently at home on Boxing Day, which means they need to be away on New Year's Day. If you put one of them away on Boxing Day then you'd have to rearrange it so they were home on New Year's Day, which in turn might well have a subsequent effect on other teams' fixtures (e.g. Derby.) That's just one example of how changing 2 fixtures could lead to a whole chain of problems.

The highlight of the fixtures for me is the Leeds home game. I've glad we've got that early on and delighted it's a midweek fixture. I think it could be a cracker.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 19 Jun 2013 14:12

That'll be a draw and a defeat in our first 2 games then. The gates to Whingeville will be well and truly broken down resulting in the usual interspaz bar brawl.

Also during this period, the much debated transfer policy is leaked via a local ITK journo who reveals that Anton has instructed Hammond to negotiate any transfers in the interchangeable Russian currency of German cars/ Vodka/ Attractive women.

A final league position of 5th placates the persistently rowdy mob. Much excitement builds again as Reading play Leeds in a hugely anticipated play off final showdown. Brian's Roundheads versus Adkins' Cavaliers......................there will be no hiding place.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 19 Jun 2013 15:58

Couldn't care less about who we play first, for selfish reasons. I just wanted to know if we would be playing home or away the very last game of the season.

I'm pleased we have a home game.

Will95
Hob Nob Regular

by Will95 » 19 Jun 2013 16:51

Pretty happy.

Disappointed Yeovil and Blackpool aways are before my 18th.

Unsure on Leeds and Barnsley away as they're Tuesday nights.

Shame to be away on Boxing Day, and Middlesborough away over the Christmas period.

Glad we're at home on New Years Day though.

Overall, pretty pleased!

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 19 Jun 2013 17:04

17th of September I'm looking forward to

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 19 Jun 2013 19:46

What happened to midweek games being local? Thought the Football League were making sure that happened now like a couple of seasons ago. Can't complain about Leeds and Barnsley away being Tuesday nights though when i didn't plan on attending anyway.

Dates i had marked as key interest personally have turned out disappointing, oh well.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 19 Jun 2013 19:51

I always look at the run-in at the end of the season which can be critical.
It doesn't look too bad this season. If you look at March onwards we start with a couple of tricky away games at Brighton and Leeds then our last 11 games are 6 home games which are winnable and 5 away games including Charlton, Bournemouth and Doncaster. If we are in with a shout at the end of February then the fixture list looks relatively kind.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 19 Jun 2013 19:57

JC I always look at the run-in at the end of the season which can be critical.
It doesn't look too bad this season. If you look at March onwards we start with a couple of tricky away games at Brighton and Leeds then our last 11 games are 6 home games which are winnable and 5 away games including Charlton, Bournemouth and Doncaster. If we are in with a shout at the end of February then the fixture list looks relatively kind.

+1

Lovely hot donuts!

by Lovely hot donuts! » 19 Jun 2013 19:57

Compo's Hat What happened to midweek games being local? Thought the Football League were making sure that happened now like a couple of seasons ago. Can't complain about Leeds and Barnsley away being Tuesday nights though when i didn't plan on attending anyway.

Dates i had marked as key interest personally have turned out disappointing, oh well.

You're not the only one to moan about this, secretary at Blackpool has complained about it
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22973295

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 19 Jun 2013 22:31

JC I always look at the run-in at the end of the season which can be critical.

Just a little early to be declaring any games 'winnable'. There's no big 4 in this league - that's what's so good about it.

Maybe have a look at the run-in at Xmas and see who's struggling/doing well by then. No-one would have picked WoLOLves for dishing out easy points this time last year. And who would've forecast a Watford vs Palace PO?

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 19 Jun 2013 23:03

Lovely hot donuts!
Compo's Hat What happened to midweek games being local? Thought the Football League were making sure that happened now like a couple of seasons ago. Can't complain about Leeds and Barnsley away being Tuesday nights though when i didn't plan on attending anyway.

You're not the only one to moan about this, secretary at Blackpool has complained about it
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22973295

Well that explains that then. So the Football league now obsessed by attendance figures and putting fans second!

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 20 Jun 2013 11:33

Fri, Aug 2: Sheffield United v Notts County (7.45pm) in League 1 *

Sat, Aug 3: Burnley v Bolton (12.15pm) in Championship *

Sun, Aug 4: Derby v Blackburn (4pm) in Championship *

Mon, Aug 5: Preston v Blackpool (7.45pm) in Capital One Cup

Tue, Aug 6: Morecambe v Wolves (7.45pm) in Capital One Cup

Sat, Aug 10: Accrington v Portsmouth (12.15pm) in League 2

Sun, Aug 11: Leicester v Leeds (4.30pm) in Championship

Live games on sky sports.