CONFIRMED - Alex Pearce re-signs

559 posts
yappy

Re: Alex Pearce

by yappy » 20 Jun 2013 18:07

Pearce is 24, and Morrison is 22. So when Pearce was 22 we had the playoff defeat when he was in & out the side quite a bit, but then played a full part in the next season in which we had the most clean sheets in our run to the title.

Had a bit of a u-turn with Pearce, wasn't that bothered if he left a few days ago, but now there seems to be a bit of renewed hope I would be quite happy if he chose to stay.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 20 Jun 2013 18:09

Yeh i know both have room for development, but Morrison is two years younger so in theory has more room for improvement. But I'm aware that's not necessarily true though.

I'd be more than happy for Pearce to stay, he's one of my favourite players. But I do respect the clubs position if they feel he hasn't proven he's worth the wages he's asking yet.

yappy

by yappy » 20 Jun 2013 18:18

In some ways I do agree, in Rodgers' era I didn't rate Pearce at all, but he's turned out pretty good. Morrison has potential, no question about it and may turn out to be a defender than Pearce.

However, neither looked particularly solid in the Premier League, and I've seen what Pearce can do in the Championship & for that reason I'd still put him ahead of Morrison.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jun 2013 19:23

yappy In some ways I do agree, in Rodgers' era I didn't rate Pearce at all, but he's turned out pretty good. Morrison has potential, no question about it and may turn out to be a defender than Pearce.

However, neither looked particularly solid in the Premier League, and I've seen what Pearce can do in the Championship & for that reason I'd still put him ahead of Morrison.

To be fair to Morro, he'd not even played a game in the Chump when we stuck him on a PL pitch. Pearce had been playing the Chump for about three seasons. THat's a hell of a step up for a 22 year old. He made mistakes, but he also looked like with some experience he could cut it.

If we've got Gunter, Kelly, Bridge, Pearce, Mariappa, Morrison & McCarthy all vying for starting places at the start of the season we'll have the best back 5 in the league by a mile. And that's ignoring Gorkss and Cummings who've proved plenty good enough at that level in the past.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 20 Jun 2013 19:25

Get rid of Gorkss if he signs on

kentuckyfriedcharlie

by kentuckyfriedcharlie » 20 Jun 2013 19:44

Royal Ginger I'd put him back in the team in place of Mariappa. I don't see him doing much more than Kaspars, but at least Gorkss is good in the air.

pearce for marriapa??? are you seriouse

yappy

by yappy » 20 Jun 2013 19:50

Ian Royal
yappy In some ways I do agree, in Rodgers' era I didn't rate Pearce at all, but he's turned out pretty good. Morrison has potential, no question about it and may turn out to be a defender than Pearce.

To be fair to Morro, he'd not even played a game in the Chump when we stuck him on a PL pitch. Pearce had been playing the Chump for about three seasons. THat's a hell of a step up for a 22 year old. He made mistakes, but he also looked like with some experience he could cut it.

If we've got Gunter, Kelly, Bridge, Pearce, Mariappa, Morrison & McCarthy all vying for starting places at the start of the season we'll have the best back 5 in the league by a mile. And that's ignoring Gorkss and Cummings who've proved plenty good enough at that level in the past.

Couldn't agree more! Really looking forward to this season.

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 20 Jun 2013 19:52

Both Pearce and Morrison (and Mariappa) and young for center backs. All will improve over the next few seasons.
Having Gorkss about provides a good role model on and off the pitch, even if his pace lets him down.
Speaking as a center back myself (albeit amateur), it's not easy to just be on form for the odd game. You need a run in the side to get some consistency going with your center back partner.
During last season, we changed our center back pairing quite a bit, meaning no one really got used to each other (apart from in training). We also we're under a lot more pressure than the year before due to our two best releases of pressure (Roberts and Kebe) being injured most of the season.
Going back to Pearce. I get the distinct feeling the lack of other opportunities/ common sense has finally got the hold of him, and hopefully he'll commit to the club (bad news for Morro!).

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 20 Jun 2013 19:56

Morrison could hand in a transfer request if this happens.

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 20 Jun 2013 20:09

akranes Morrison could hand in a transfer request if this happens.

Or maybe he won't. I'd say those are the 2 options.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 20 Jun 2013 20:10

Colin Cheeselog
akranes Morrison could hand in a transfer request if this happens.

Or maybe he won't. I'd say those are the 2 options.

The outcome will be the same either way.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 20 Jun 2013 21:16

Esteban I don't see what's changed in the past couple of weeks to make him change his mind. Other player's salaries have probably come down since relegation, but I doubt our offer has gone up.

I'm going to go with the realisation that no-one else wants him.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 21 Jun 2013 10:48

Esteban I don't see what's changed in the past couple of weeks to make him change his mind. Other player's salaries have probably come down since relegation, but I doubt our offer has gone up.

is it cos no one enquired about him, and now he feels a bit silly?

Esteban

by Esteban » 21 Jun 2013 11:03

melonhead

is it cos no one enquired about him, and now he feels a bit silly?

Quite possibly, yes.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 21 Jun 2013 11:17

We should reduce our offer by £1000 per week for every day he stalls.

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 21 Jun 2013 11:25

readingfc13

by readingfc13 » 21 Jun 2013 11:27

Double signing meltdown

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

Pearce signs new deal

by SPARTA » 21 Jun 2013 11:28

Done and on the OS now.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 21 Jun 2013 11:28

Can't fault him for wanting a Premier League move, him signing an extension is only good news for us.

No Fixed Abode

Re: Pearce signs new deal

by No Fixed Abode » 21 Jun 2013 11:29

SPARTA Done and on the OS now.

Was hoping he'd sign for Liverpool :lol:

559 posts