CONFIRMED - Danny Williams

370 posts
bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: CONFIRMED - Danny Williams

by bobby1413 » 25 Jun 2013 20:01

ZacNaloen He called Football Soccer :evil:

He sounds like a dick, Danny Williams out!

dragpeace

by dragpeace » 25 Jun 2013 20:13

Having been in the States for many years, I follow the US team. Williams is a solid player - nothing flashy, but he takes care of business on the defensive side of things, and he has good technical skills, from what I have seen. He can pass the ball well, but doesn't get into the offense much (he won't be a goal scorer, but that's not his role). He's athletic and knows the game well - he has a good head on his shoulders. This isn't a spectacular signing, but he's a solid defensive player who we probably won't notice much because he's doing his job and not making mistakes. He'll probably play DM, but he could play anywhere on the defensive side of things, in a pinch (even wide). I like this signing a lot - we need players like this. In the Championship, he should be a very good player who just gets the job done. He's had an ankle injury, but I assume that's all been checked out. He played for the German U15 team, as a side note.

Graham

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 25 Jun 2013 20:17

We would have been pretty chuffed with these signings for the Prem!

If we continue like this we must surely be favourites to be champions.

Williams comes over really well in those interviews

Judge Drenthe

by Judge Drenthe » 25 Jun 2013 20:20

Looks like a boss, sounds like a boss, and is a BIG F**KING GERMAN. Welcome to the club my brother.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 25 Jun 2013 20:26

I've always said we needed to bring in a struggle pig this window, great to get it ticked off nice and early.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 25 Jun 2013 20:33

He's got a job on his hands displacing Brett and Marcus to become the best Williams of recent times though.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 25 Jun 2013 20:35

Another exciting prospect on paper. The Club are certainly doing the biz and seem to have learned lessons, now know what is needed and most importantly they are doing it early doors!

My only concern - as demonstrated on here already - is all this premature anticipation and expectation of "we are going to nail the league". Let's reel it in eh? The more we portray ourselves as Billy Big Bollox, the more it puts us on a pedestal for other teams to want to crack and if they succeed our down fall would be all the more embarrassing.

Reality check needed. A ball hasn't even been kicked yet.

royalhaven

by royalhaven » 25 Jun 2013 20:37

USMNT hasn't put up their Gold Cup squad yet so it is possible that we won't see Danny in any of the preseason matches. Possibly not until end of July. But he should be fairly match fit by then.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 25 Jun 2013 20:38

for someone who is not English, wtf is a struggle pig?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 25 Jun 2013 20:40

Mike Hunt for someone who is not English, wtf is a struggle pig?

It's just a dodgy google translation isn't it?

akranes
Hob Nob Regular

by akranes » 25 Jun 2013 20:41

grey_squirrel Another exciting prospect on paper. The Club are certainly doing the biz and seem to have learned lessons, now know what is needed and most importantly they are doing it early doors!

My only concern - as demonstrated on here already - is all this premature anticipation and expectation of "we are going to nail the league". Let's reel it in eh? The more we portray ourselves as Billy Big Bollox, the more it puts us on a pedestal for other teams to want to crack and if they succeed our down fall would be all the more embarrassing.

Reality check needed. A ball hasn't even been kicked yet.

This, I remember when Leicester started spending big, got a 'big' name manager in and were nailed on favourite. Look how that turned out.

Same with West Ham, they could have so easily buckled in the playoffs with such a 'big' squad.

I know it is a different scenario here but everytime AZ, Adkins or whoever says "We want to win the league" it doesn't feel right.

Having said that I am very happy with how things are going so far.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 25 Jun 2013 20:45

I want to see someone wearing a shirt
with STRUGGLE-PIG on the back

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

Re: Player flew in yesterday from Germany

by Libertine » 25 Jun 2013 20:49

ReadingKC
Libertine There are 2 German born American internationals at Hoffenheim (their respective fathers were both US servicemen stationed there). The aforementioned Danny Williams and Fabian Johnson a left back who is actually featuring more for the US Men's National Team than Williams. If it is one of their American "internationals" it would make more sense it would be Williams seeing we just signed Bridge to play left back. But then again Johnson is like Kelly in the sense that he can, and has played, both left and right back. The thing that might make Johnson an attractive target for us is that versatility to go along with his paciness to slot in at right back. He has been very solid for our national team. Williams is actually not part of the squad for the World Cup qualifiers with Klinsmann's defensive midfielder of choice being Schalke's Jermaine Jones.

Williams hasn't been with the USMNT team because he was released from camp because he had not regained full fitness after suffering an ankle injury towards the end of the season with Hoffenheim. He's been very good in the appearances I've seen with National team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/us-national-team-releases-danny-010840083--mls.html

I am not saying he hasn't been good but he wasn't included on the WC qualifying roster. Maybe he, along with Donovan, will be part of the Gold Cup qualifiers. I just rate Johnson a tiny bit higher of our two German born US int'l players. I am actually quite happy, and very excited, we got him here at Reading FC!

Welcome to the Royals Danny! 8)

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 25 Jun 2013 20:54

Mike Hunt for someone who is not English, wtf is a struggle pig?

He's a pig because he lives in Germany (who lost the World Wars) despite being American (the country that won both World Wars single handedly with no help from the Russians).

He struggles because he's a defensive midfielder and experienced prejudice stemming from the aforementioned pigginess.

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 25 Jun 2013 20:55

Sounds a bit worrying unless he was suffering with his ankle injury during this period. Taken from

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sbn ... nheim.html

Williams saw his career plateau in the last year as he struggled for an awful Hoffenheim team and eventually was planted on the bench. Once a regular starter for Hoffenheim, Williams' poor play, fraught with poor positioning and sloppy passes, kept him from making a single appearance in April and May. That stint on the bench coincided with Hoffenheim's turnaround as they grabbed points in five of their last seven matches to climb from the drop zone to the relegation playoff, which they won to keep their place in the Bundesliga.

Judge Drenthe

by Judge Drenthe » 25 Jun 2013 21:20

CholseyRoyal Sounds a bit worrying unless he was suffering with his ankle injury during this period. Taken from

Williams saw his career plateau in the last year as he struggled for an awful Hoffenheim team and eventually was planted on the bench. Once a regular starter for Hoffenheim, Williams' poor play, fraught with poor positioning and sloppy passes, kept him from making a single appearance in April and May. That stint on the bench coincided with Hoffenheim's turnaround as they grabbed points in five of their last seven matches to climb from the drop zone to the relegation playoff, which they won to keep their place in the Bundesliga.

Sounds like a younger version of Leigertwood. Lets hope that ankle injury is better and he's back to his best...

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 25 Jun 2013 21:27

bobby1413

He sounds like a dick, Danny Williams out!

You kids need to return to the roots of the beautiful game. Soccer is a very Englsh term, just watch a few old Pathe news clips.

Then grow up!

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 25 Jun 2013 21:27

What, like old men in pubs used to?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 25 Jun 2013 21:38

CholseyRoyal Sounds a bit worrying unless he was suffering with his ankle injury during this period. Taken from

He was injured early April which kept him out of the side.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Re: Player flew in yesterday from Germany

by TBM » 25 Jun 2013 21:46

Pepe the Horseman Reading the Hoffenheim forum, he seems to be quite well liked

Williams played since the beginning of the TSG won two games!
He is our struggle pig!

lol struggle pig

:lol:

370 posts