Pre-season friendlies

354 posts
Cypry

Re: Pre-season friendlies

by Cypry » 25 Jul 2013 09:49

I went last night, some thoughts - disappointing we didn't score, but the result was pretty irrelevant given that we'd already made our 8 changes when City scored, and they'd made 1. Other than that they didn't really create much, for the first half they tried to catch us on the break and that was about it...can't really remember Feds making more than one or two simple saves...

We passed it around pretty well, a bit deep for my liking at times, but kept possession well. Not much end product, Alfie had a couple of half chances and we had a couple of half decent penalty shouts turned down, Blackman had an effort cleared off the line, Gorkks had a chance, Gunter had a chance, McLeary had a couple but not a bad performance by any stretch of the imagination....the three in behind the lone striker were pretty mobile, chopping and changing all the time and we seem to switch between 4-2-3-1 and 4-1-4-1 when Adkins decides it's needed.

As I said on the "Do we need a striker" thread, and as Donuts says above, the lone striker role in this team is very different to the one played by McDermott...no reason why it won't work for ALF in my opinion...

Those who impressed:

Drenthe - looks exciting / dangerous - if we could get him playing in the same side as a fit Kebe the entertainment value would be superb...
Obita - looks dangerous and probably pushes Kebe for speed. Seems to have a good set piece in him as well
Williams - played a lot higher up the pitch than I'd expected - we seemed to start playing 4-2-3-1, then switched to 4-1-4-1 when he came on
Morrisson - best player on the pitch in the first half - shoe in for one of the starting CB places I'd say
Gorkss - I know, it surprised me too - the "pass it out from the back" approach seems to suit him much better - has been the most threatening CB from set pieces all pre-season as far as I can tell and had a good effort saved last night
McLearly - probably our most threatening player. Sometimes just tries one trick too many and loses out
Bridge - good, and looks for the overlap all the time - need to get the wingers to use him though....
Blackman - could have a few people eating their words I reckon, looks intelligent, can pick a pass and had a powerful effort cleared off the line late on..

Those who disappointed:

Pog - didn't do very much at all
Guthrie - gave the ball away too easily several times then chased like a headless chicken to get it back....red card waiting to happen...
Gunter / Pearce / Mariappa - all three a bit anonymous and poor communication between themselves at fault for the goal - like I said though, the team had been chopped and changed a lot (subs were "drip fed" throughout second half rather than all made at once so perhaps they can be excused)...

Not sure what was going on with the Bristol City fans, whole bunch got kicked out halfway through the second half.....still, it did look like it was past most of their bedtimes....

yappy

by yappy » 25 Jul 2013 10:41

Cheers for the write up Cypry.

Think all that yesterday does in reinforce the fact that we need another striker. All the people suggesting that Pog will tear up the Championship I think will be disappointed. On the topic of Alf playing up top on his own, most people say that we have to start Pog as we're more of a threat, but are we really? How many goals do we score with Pog on the pitch? How many chances do we really create with Pog on the pitch? I still think Alfie is more effective.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 25 Jul 2013 11:12

Cheers Cypry, good to know that at least the patterns of play were there and that we were creating chances. I'm sure we'll be more clinical in all areas come August 3rd

Hogmeister Royal

by Hogmeister Royal » 25 Jul 2013 12:31

KC Royal
SCIAG Our team looked quite cobbled together last night.

Dom Hyam, normally a centre back, played full back.
Matt Partridge, normally a centre back, played midfield.

There's a real lack of wide players in our U21 squad, only four full backs (three of whom are right backs) and two wingers (and Obita and Keown weren't playing last night). We could probably do with promoting McLennan and using Stacey as a winger, and I don't know why we're looking at centre backs and central midfielders as trialists.

If anyone isn't aware there's highlights of last night's game on the Newport site. I was a bit disappointed we conceded the last minute equaliser, but on the evidence of the highlights I've no complaints, Newport deserved their draw and if anything we were a bit fortunate. Ugwu didn't know anything about his goal, a parry by the keeper ricocheting off his head, and they also hit the post at 2-2.

Thought I'd make one of my rare posts, as I was at this game.

There was a crowd of over 700, which I was surprised at, especially as it was held at Newport's old (crap) stadium instead of the rugby ground they now share, plus the Newport fans have Villa to look forward to this Saturday. Spotted one "Bill Oddie" T-shirt in the crowd, but I'm guessing not many Royals bothered making the trip.

Main things I took from a fairly entertaining 3-3 draw were...
Big contrast in style - we were clearly trying to play short passing moves, mainly through the middle, and our youngsters had masses more pace, flair and natural talent than Newport.
Pitch was poor - long grass meant the ball was holding up and not running through as you'd expect on a decent pitch
We looked weak defensively, although part of the problem was simple physical stature and strength - midfielders being muscled off the ball, and battering-ram forwards winning headers against our young and fairly slight defenders.
Sean Long at right back was bombing down the wing at every opportunity, and this was an effective tactic (he created the Ugwu goal)... and he seemed to spend more time in their penalty box than ours. Our midfielders seemed to be well-trained in dropping back to cover when we lost the ball, until Long managed to get back into position.
Ugwu looked lively up front and was a constant threat
Jake Taylor captained the side for the first hour and seemed to enjoy doing the "bossing the midfield" bit (looked a bit like Guthrie when he's having a good day)
In the second half our mass substitutions meant the game got pretty scrappy, but we perhaps looked fitter than them and the penalty was not the first time we'd broken with pace and got a one-on-one with the keeper.

I think overall 3-3 was a pretty fair result, and both teams probably went home satisfied.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Jul 2013 12:41

winchester_royal Cheers Cypry, good to know that at least the patterns of play were there and that we were creating chances. I'm sure we'll be more clinical in all areas come August 3rd

A remember a few years back a group of us LOLing all the way back to Farnborough North station after we'd lost 2-1 at Cherrywood Road in a friendly. The LOL was on us though, we went on to take 106 points.....

Interesting* domestic friendlies for the first team; a League 1 side under a manager known for his preference for playing the ball on the deck, followed by a Premier League side who play the best football outside of the top 4. Sensible and gentle fixtures for a side who supposedly have designs on playing an expansive, passing game.

*not interesting enough for me to remotely consider attending either fixture, mind.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 25 Jul 2013 13:28

sound Cypry!

nailseabiscuitman

by nailseabiscuitman » 25 Jul 2013 15:05

Cypry I went last night, some thoughts - disappointing we didn't score, but the result was pretty irrelevant given that we'd already made our 8 changes when City scored, and they'd made 1. Other than that they didn't really create much, for the first half they tried to catch us on the break and that was about it...can't really remember Feds making more than one or two simple saves...

We passed it around pretty well, a bit deep for my liking at times, but kept possession well. Not much end product, Alfie had a couple of half chances and we had a couple of half decent penalty shouts turned down, Blackman had an effort cleared off the line, Gorkks had a chance, Gunter had a chance, McLeary had a couple but not a bad performance by any stretch of the imagination....the three in behind the lone striker were pretty mobile, chopping and changing all the time and we seem to switch between 4-2-3-1 and 4-1-4-1 when Adkins decides it's needed.

As I said on the "Do we need a striker" thread, and as Donuts says above, the lone striker role in this team is very different to the one played by McDermott...no reason why it won't work for ALF in my opinion...

Those who impressed:

Drenthe - looks exciting / dangerous - if we could get him playing in the same side as a fit Kebe the entertainment value would be superb...
Obita - looks dangerous and probably pushes Kebe for speed. Seems to have a good set piece in him as well
Williams - played a lot higher up the pitch than I'd expected - we seemed to start playing 4-2-3-1, then switched to 4-1-4-1 when he came on
Morrisson - best player on the pitch in the first half - shoe in for one of the starting CB places I'd say
Gorkss - I know, it surprised me too - the "pass it out from the back" approach seems to suit him much better - has been the most threatening CB from set pieces all pre-season as far as I can tell and had a good effort saved last night
McLearly - probably our most threatening player. Sometimes just tries one trick too many and loses out
Bridge - good, and looks for the overlap all the time - need to get the wingers to use him though....
Blackman - could have a few people eating their words I reckon, looks intelligent, can pick a pass and had a powerful effort cleared off the line late on..

Those who disappointed:

Pog - didn't do very much at all
Guthrie - gave the ball away too easily several times then chased like a headless chicken to get it back....red card waiting to happen...
Gunter / Pearce / Mariappa - all three a bit anonymous and poor communication between themselves at fault for the goal - like I said though, the team had been chopped and changed a lot (subs were "drip fed" throughout second half rather than all made at once so perhaps they can be excused)...

Not sure what was going on with the Bristol City fans, whole bunch got kicked out halfway through the second half.....still, it did look like it was past most of their bedtimes....

Agree with a few of these remarks but certainly not about Guthrie, put a real shift in and was always looking for return passes. Gorks, how many times, particularly in the first half was he caught out by a simple ball over the top. A better finisher would have seen BCFC go in 2 up at half time easily. Pearce and Mariappa came on very late, not much time to get settled and be other than anonymous. Alf looks ill-suited to the lone role, easily outmuscled and no chance in the air against a 6ft 6inch centre half. I was sat in the City stand and they were a bit worried when they saw Pog coming on, how wrong could they be !!

ryancoles1

by ryancoles1 » 25 Jul 2013 20:04

Evening Lads, West Brom fan, best of luck for the new season, personally loved having you in the Prem as a great stadium and for some reason games against you, especially at your place, seem to be thrillers.

Anyway the reason im posting on here is just to ask for some advice. Every year i enter this competition where all 4 Divisions get split into sections. Fro example i think this years might be QPR, READING, BOLTON. I will have to pick the 1 team to score the most goals combined with most points. Example if Reading won 3-1 i would get 6 points ( 3 for a win 3 for the goals )

Im expecting to get this competition info tomorrow, but just wanted to know your thought on who would do the best out of those 3 teams. Bolton got some impressive strikers but awful preseason, qpr i cant trust at all. That leaves me thinking about Reading, whats your views?

Seems to me you have so much pace on the wings and surely Drenthe could be one of the best signings of the window? How far is Kebe away from being fit? Whats your concerns at the moment? Is it you need a top stiker to play that lone role.

Thanks again for any advice and sorry for waffling on lol :wink:

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 25 Jul 2013 20:11

yappy Cheers for the write up Cypry.

Think all that yesterday does in reinforce the fact that we need another striker. All the people suggesting that Pog will tear up the Championship I think will be disappointed. On the topic of Alf playing up top on his own, most people say that we have to start Pog as we're more of a threat, but are we really? How many goals do we score with Pog on the pitch? How many chances do we really create with Pog on the pitch? I still think Alfie is more effective.

Based on one game?

yappy

by yappy » 25 Jul 2013 20:58

West Stand Man

Based on one game?

And all of last season!

Cypry

by Cypry » 25 Jul 2013 22:26

yappy
West Stand Man

Based on one game?

And all of last season!

But in fairness to Pog, he was the fourth in a total of eight substitutions - it was never likely that he would receive much in the way of service for the reasonably short period that he was on for....

Nonetheless I found him disappointing, but as WSM points out, it's less than half a game. I'll be interested to see the starting line up Saturday, which I think will be pretty similar to those who'll start against Ipswich - I wouldn't bet against Pog featuring in the starting 11....

RedRum

by RedRum » 27 Jul 2013 11:57

Hopefully Nigel will field his First XI today - at least for 60 mins

RedRum

by RedRum » 27 Jul 2013 14:23

@ReadingFC: Reading team v Swansea: McCarthy, Bridge, Kelly, Pearce, Morrison, Karacan, Guthrie, Robson-Kanu, McAnuff (C), Drenthe, Le Fondre #readingfc

@ReadingFC: #readingfc subs: Federici, Gunter, Mariappa, Pogrebnyak, McCleary, Akpan, Gorkss, Cummings, Taylor, Ugwu, Obita, D'Ath

No Williams, Blackman or Kebe - assume they're all injured..? Otherwise looks like a first XI to me.
Alot of youngsters on that bench too - good sign

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 27 Jul 2013 14:33

RedRum @ReadingFC: Reading team v Swansea: McCarthy, Bridge, Kelly, Pearce, Morrison, Karacan, Guthrie, Robson-Kanu, McAnuff (C), Drenthe, Le Fondre #readingfc

@ReadingFC: #readingfc subs: Federici, Gunter, Mariappa, Pogrebnyak, McCleary, Akpan, Gorkss, Cummings, Taylor, Ugwu, Obita, D'Ath

No Williams, Blackman or Kebe - assume they're all injured..? Otherwise looks like a first XI to me.
Alot of youngsters on that bench too - good sign

Kebe injured?..your kidding me surely???

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 27 Jul 2013 14:47

Looks like a first XI to me, too.... with, possibly, a bit of "play yourself into the team" for Kelly and Mozza..... over Gunts and Mapz. Innit.

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 27 Jul 2013 15:00

Kebe nowhere to be seen :roll:

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 27 Jul 2013 15:03

So no game commentary on Radio Berks? just shit music and oxf*rd horse racing! what a load of bullshit

scumbag

by scumbag » 27 Jul 2013 15:03

Good to see Bignall has still not been released? :lol:

Also why isn't Williams even a sub?

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 27 Jul 2013 15:10

super darren caskey So no game commentary on Radio Berks? just shit music and oxf*rd horse racing! what a load of bullshit

Its laughable why they are not commentating. oxf*rd shit

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 27 Jul 2013 15:11

super darren caskey So no game commentary on Radio Berks? just shit music and oxf*rd horse racing! what a load of bullshit

Anyone know Swanseas local BBC radio station

354 posts