Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by floyd__streete » 26 Jul 2013 12:59

Cypry As for the "resources enjoyed by Adkins" - what are those then? How much have we spent on inbound transfers so far this Summer?.....

How much do you reckon Bridge and Drenthe are getting wage-wise then? Transfer fees themselves are only part of the issue, and even then these tend to be (rather disgracefully in my opinion) undisclosed these days in any case.

Cypry

by Cypry » 26 Jul 2013 13:03

Woodcote Royal
Cypry As for the "resources enjoyed by Adkins" - what are those then? How much have we spent on inbound transfers so far this Summer? Less than Brian spent last year I think you'll find.....

Opinions seem very polarised on this, but I try to see both sides.

If that's your best effort at a balanced view, God knows how you cope trying to remain upright throughout the day :|

Rather than comparing McDermott's Premiership budget with Adkins Championship one, why not compare like for like, this being my main point had you bothered to read it properly ..........................this would be McDermott's Championship winning season being under pinned by the £5m? fire sale of Long having lost Siggy and Mills in the previous book balancing exercise.................now tell me Adkins has had less money than McDermott.

Deary me - of course Adkins has more money, we have parachute payments this year, something we didn't have when Brian was in charge in the Championship....we were also told that the TSI takeover would negate the need for player sales to fill the "black hole"...having said that, I don't see TSI throwing money at Adkins to spend on inbound transfers......we now seem to have reached a one-in-one-out situation.....

You're trying to compare McDermott under the SJM regime, against Adkins under the TSI regime - chalk and cheese....

The OPs question was, was it the right decision to sack Brian, and, all things considered, I think it was...you're entitled to believe what you want, but please don't base your argument on some fallacy that TSI withheld money from McDermott and have since been throwing it at Adkins, because it simply isn't true.....

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 26 Jul 2013 13:08

floyd__streete
Cypry As for the "resources enjoyed by Adkins" - what are those then? How much have we spent on inbound transfers so far this Summer?.....

How much do you reckon Bridge and Drenthe are getting wage-wise then? Transfer fees themselves are only part of the issue, and even then these tend to be (rather disgracefully in my opinion) undisclosed these days in any case.

No more than Pogrebnyak or Guthrie I'd have thought

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 26 Jul 2013 13:16

NewCorkSeth
RoyallyFcuked No one likes you though. So fcuk off newbie

Blah blah your mother liked me last night or something else along those lines blah blah

:lol:

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 26 Jul 2013 13:19

Extended-Phenotype
Maguire Bit of "blame" probably lies with several different people there but Brian certainly has to take his share for overestimating how well his squad could cope with life in the top tier.

That said, I think we all did. Looking at the title-winning side and adding Pogrebnyak (on paper, a better level of striker), Guthrie (on paper, a playmaking midfielder), and the most highly-rated right hand side in the Championship (McCleary and Gunter), everyone on here was pretty damn happy with that.

Turned out they weren't very good.

Difficult one. There is a reasonable argument to say they may have performed better under a different manager and style.

I'm comfortable with the notion that McDermott’s management honed so perfectly for the Championship was not up to task in the Premier League. That leaves you with the difficult decision of whether to stick and see if he can adapt or twist and go for a new fella who appears to have a style better suited to the league we want to compete in.

But without Brian's results in the Championship we wouldn’t even be in the position to be thinking in such a way, ironically it’s almost as if his success, rather than failure, cost him his job.

Well said as always EP. Sums it up particularly well I must say.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 26 Jul 2013 13:24

Cypry
Woodcote Royal
Cypry As for the "resources enjoyed by Adkins" - what are those then? How much have we spent on inbound transfers so far this Summer? Less than Brian spent last year I think you'll find.....

Opinions seem very polarised on this, but I try to see both sides.

If that's your best effort at a balanced view, God knows how you cope trying to remain upright throughout the day :|

Rather than comparing McDermott's Premiership budget with Adkins Championship one, why not compare like for like, this being my main point had you bothered to read it properly ..........................this would be McDermott's Championship winning season being under pinned by the £5m? fire sale of Long having lost Siggy and Mills in the previous book balancing exercise.................now tell me Adkins has had less money than McDermott.

Of course Adkins has more money, we have parachute payments this year, something we didn't have when Brian was in charge in the Championship....

You're trying to compare McDermott under the SJM regime, against Adkins under the TSI regime - chalk and cheese....

Well done!!! You got there in the end!!

So, as I was suggesting earlier, given the vast difference in resources between McDermott's last Championship campaign and this one, if Adkin's is going to be judged in the same manner you deemed fair and equitable for McDermott, only promotion with flying colours will suffice and any prolonged period outside the top six or, one weekend in the bottom half, should see him on his way.

Cypry

by Cypry » 26 Jul 2013 14:30

Woodcote Royal Well done!!! You got there in the end!!

So, as I was suggesting earlier, given the vast difference in resources between McDermott's last Championship campaign and this one, if Adkin's is going to be judged in the same manner you deemed fair and equitable for McDermott, only promotion with flying colours will suffice and any prolonged period outside the top six or, one weekend in the bottom half, should see him on his way.

Condescending bellend...

McDermotts side had been nailed in the bottom three all season and we'd just been beaten in two six point games when he was sacked - you reckon that compares to "one weekend in the bottom half"? God help us...

Brians strategy for the Premier League failed pretty spectacularly - that's the only FACT that exists around this - any comparison between him and Adkins is purely hypothetical, we'll never know whether Adkins could've kept us up if he'd had the benefit of the January window. We'll never know whether Brian could've continued to perform miracles in the Championship having suffered what must have been an utterly humiliating and demoralising season last year.

All that boils my piss is all the talk of "poor old Brian", "he never had any resources", "he wasn't backed in the transfer market" etc etc

I'm 100% convinced that more money was available to Brian, had he chosen to use it. He didn't, he (rightly or wrongly) chose to remain loyal to the players that won the Championship, and sadly that decision cost him his job....

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 26 Jul 2013 14:32

Brians strategy for the Premier League failed pretty spectacularly

it was the clubs strategy, and no one here knopws exactly how much the blame is to be shared across the management structure.
the only thing thats clear is how unclear it is, with both sides making contradictory statements on the subject.

what I do know is that the number of managers who would turn down more money to spend on players as disappearingly small

Cypry

by Cypry » 26 Jul 2013 14:35

melonhead

it was the clubs strategy, and no one here knopws exactly how much the blame is to be shared across the management structure.
the only thing thats clear is how unclear it is, with both sides making contradictory statements on the subject.

what I do know is that the number of managers who would turn down more money to spend on players as disappearingly small

I have my reasons for believing more money was available, that's all I'll say on here, but I am 100% convinced more was available....

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 26 Jul 2013 14:38

McDermott sounds very frustrated in today's YEP. No movement expected in the transfer market until players are sold and the wage bill comes down. He's taken on one almighty job there. High expectation on and off the field and not a lot of money to achieve it. I'll be surprised if he lasts the season.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 26 Jul 2013 14:42

Cypry
melonhead

I have my reasons for believing more money was available, that's all I'll say on here, but I am 100% convinced more was available....

I can see why that would make your mind up, but im sure you can also see why that would have no effect on my opinion whatsoever

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 26 Jul 2013 14:43

One8Seven1 McDermott sounds very frustrated in today's YEP. No movement expected in the transfer market until players are sold and the wage bill comes down. He's taken on one almighty job there. High expectation on and off the field and not a lot of money to achieve it. I'll be surprised if he lasts the season.

yeah, cos its not like hes worked succesfully for other clubs where he had to do all that

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Jul 2013 14:51

melonhead
One8Seven1 McDermott sounds very frustrated in today's YEP. No movement expected in the transfer market until players are sold and the wage bill comes down. He's taken on one almighty job there. High expectation on and off the field and not a lot of money to achieve it. I'll be surprised if he lasts the season.

yeah, cos its not like hes worked succesfully for other clubs where he had to do all that

Yeah but hold on we had the highest wage bill of any professional football club based in Reading that were managed by a bald headed man from Slough.
Last edited by sandman on 26 Jul 2013 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 26 Jul 2013 15:23

after promotion.including all bonuses for winning the championship

and our policy has always* been low fees, higher wages.

it pretty clear that brian is used to managing with no money to spend though, has been succesful at it, and is probably one of th emain reasons leeds took him

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 26 Jul 2013 15:40

melonhead after promotion.including all bonuses for winning the championship

it pretty clear that brian is used to managing with no money to spend though, has been succesful at it, and is probably one of th emain reasons leeds took him

Will Leeds give him high wages to play with too though?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Jul 2013 15:42

maffff
melonhead after promotion.including all bonuses for winning the championship

Will Leeds give him high wages to play with too though?

Read the first line again.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 26 Jul 2013 16:22

Cypry I'm 100% convinced that more money was available to Brian

On what evidence?

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 26 Jul 2013 16:27

sandman Read the first line again.

Of the quote? the thread? the bible?

None of that seems relevant.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 26 Jul 2013 17:35

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 26 Jul 2013 18:19

DOYLERSAROYALER http://www.thescratchingshed.com/2013/07/love-affair-with-mcdermott-hits-rocky-waters/

some bloke on a blog says something.......who gives a fcuk, pointless even clicking

3714 posts