Mariappa - let the rumours commence

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Mariappa - let the rumours commence

by Royal Lady » 04 Aug 2013 11:51

loyalroyal4life Dellor was asked by fan to ask NA about maps post match and he said he would, when it came to the interview he bottled it!!! Useless if you can't ask questions the fans want answered!!

Probably been told not to mention it - can't believe Dellor wouldn't have been wanting answers about Mariappa non-inclusion. If another team are interested, would we not play him or put him on bench on their say-so? Seems odd but nothing surprises me in football any more.

fruits

by fruits » 04 Aug 2013 12:00

Obviously something going on if he wasn't even benched. Something more than Adkins doesn't rate him, because surely he can't rate him THAT badly. A player doesn't go from our best to our worst centre back over night new manager or not.

Whatever Adkins thinks of him as a player , he must rate him higher than Gorks. If a club is after him we shouldn´t let him go for less than 5 million, pocket that amount payoff the Pog and for goodness sake get A BIG BUSTLING striker, Alf is GREAT but he is too small.

Lovely hot donuts!
Location: Lower Earley and/or Birmingham. Feckless student. Twitter: @RussellLParker

by Lovely hot donuts! » 04 Aug 2013 12:03

You lot really love to stir a bit of shit don't you?
Look, we have four centre backs who are at least capable of playing in the championship. In any one game there will be two that start, one on the bench and one that has to sit out. I was at Bristol City, Bristol Rover & Swansea friendlies and, in those, all four centre backs put in very similar quality performances (i.e a bit crap) and therefore none of them guaranteed themselves a place in the squad for competitive games. Marriapa has no god given right to be ahead of Gorkss because, last time we were in the championship, Gorkss was superb and Adkins is looking at the four centre backs with an open mind. Therefore, Adkins just had to pick one not to put in the squad and yesterday that was Marriappa! That's it! It doesn't mean he's leaving. It doesn't mean there's anything dodgy going on. It just means he was not selected for the game because Adkins chose Pearce, Morrison & Gorkss ahead of him. Why does that seem to unlikely to everyone. It's the simplest answer so it's probably true.

Also, I doubt Tim Dellor "bottled it" in asking Nigel, he probably just forgot.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Aug 2013 12:08

fruits

by fruits » 04 Aug 2013 12:16

Royal Lady
loyalroyal4life Dellor was asked by fan to ask NA about maps post match and he said he would, when it came to the interview he bottled it!!! Useless if you can't ask questions the fans want answered!!

Probably been told not to mention it - can't believe Dellor wouldn't have been wanting answers about Mariappa non-inclusion. If another team are interested, would we not play him or put him on bench on their say-so? Seems odd but nothing surprises me in football any more.

Am sure Tim Dellor was advised not to put any questions about Mariappa during a live interview, sometimes an interviewer has to bite his tongue and follow the party line otherwise he will never be trusted and all storylines will be denied to him. Something is going on with Mariappa, last season he was by far the best central defender we had, ok that wasn`t saying much but he was still the best.
Adkins picked him for his first seven games in charge, then dropped him to the bench in the last game against WHU and didn´t use him in the game. Gorks played instead, I thought at the time the reason was for Adkins to have a look at Gorks.

It is a strange one as there are only four scenarios,
a) He is being signed by another club.
b)Adkins doesn´t rate him,which seems unlikely as he cannot think Gorks is a better player.
c)Mariappa has a personal problem.
d)He is injured.

Time will tell. It is frightening to think if Pearce or Morro is injured,Gorks will come on.
"Qué será, será whatever will be ,will be"

Lovely hot donuts!
Location: Lower Earley and/or Birmingham. Feckless student. Twitter: @RussellLParker

by Lovely hot donuts! » 04 Aug 2013 12:22

fruits b)Adkins doesn´t rate him,which seems unlikely as he cannot think Gorks is a better player.

Time will tell. It is frightening to think if Pearce or Morro is injured,Gorks will come on.
"Qué será, será whatever will be ,will be"

What is everyone's problem with Gorkss?
In two of the last three seasons, Gorkss was a regular in the team that won the championship - exactly what we are trying to achieve this season!!
Marriapa, on the other hand, was a regular in a midtable championship club for two of the last three seasons!

Ok, Gorkss got shown up in the Premier League. BUT, we are not in the premier league! We are in the championship! And Gorkss is just about the most proven championship centre back around!

RoyalTank

by RoyalTank » 04 Aug 2013 12:34

Mariappa > Pearce > Morrison > Gorkss

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 04 Aug 2013 12:36

Can't see it being Adkins not rating him.....Adkins was on the verge of signing him for Southampton before we came in and he joined us.,

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 04 Aug 2013 12:51

Maybe his attitude and application was not first class...

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 04 Aug 2013 13:25

Bandini Mariapapa can use drugs if he wants to. There's no law against it - this isn't athletics.

:roll:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Aug 2013 18:17

maffff Maybe his attitude and application was not first class...

His positioning was terrible early on last season, and he's not overly tall. Whilst he finished the season as one of our best performers, it wouldn't take much of a loss of form over the summer for either Morrison or Pearce to overtake him. Especially seeing as Pearce wasn't far behind him last season and at times better.

The big surprise is Gorkss (who has looked terrible every time I've seen him since we got promoted) on the bench over him. Maybe Mariappa isn't fully fit. Maybe he's had a poor preseason. Maybe he's thrown a flid at not starting. Maybe he's off. We'll see over the next couple of weeks I guess.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 04 Aug 2013 22:10

RoyalTank Mariappa > Pearce > Morrison > Gorkss

Certainly for being able to play out from the back with is what I thought NA is looking for

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 04 Aug 2013 22:37

Royal Lady

If true, then it is time that BBC Radio Berks and Dellor grew some balls and top Craig Mortimer-Zimmerframe that they aren't beholden to him and will ask questions that supporters would like answered. He and Adkins can then decide how they want to r--respond to the question. Of course CMZ can try to do to BBCRB what the club did to 'The Hound' but that would be a big mistake on his part. The club need the media every bit as much as, if not more than the media need them. Nor would it look good if BBCRB announced that they had been banned from the club merely for asking why a player hadn't been selected for a game!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Aug 2013 23:03

Just a small suggestion, but just because someone doesn't ask a question you think they should, doesn't mean that they are in some way gagged by the club. Some people see the smallest thing and leap to the biggest conspiracy theory out of it far too easily.

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 04 Aug 2013 23:17

Ian Royal Just a small suggestion, but just because someone doesn't ask a question you think they should, doesn't mean that they are in some way gagged by the club. Some people see the smallest thing and leap to the biggest conspiracy theory out of it far too easily.

Ady Williams has admitted on Twitter in the past that they are occasionally gagged, as you put it, and they have to accept that from time to time. Same goes for GetReading. They were told to sit on the Juventus story a week before the club released a statement on it.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 04 Aug 2013 23:45

dellor has already had shortshrift from Adkins in some of last seasons post match interviews....he's prb realised
crossing that line again could cause irrepairable damage in his working relationship with Adkins

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Regular

by Royals and Racers » 05 Aug 2013 07:50

Quote from Adkins on RFC website

With a strong squad to choose from, the boss had to leave out quality players like Adrian Mariappa, Hope Akpan, Shaun Cummings and Stuart Taylor from his 18-man squad.

Asked by the press about Mariappa's absence he said, "I can only play eleven and can only put seven on the bench. Kaspars got the centre back position on the bench today and it just underlines we've got a strong group of players.
Read more at http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article ... leUpALj.99

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 05 Aug 2013 08:02

Asked by the press about Mariappa's absence he said, "I can only play eleven and can only put seven on the bench. Kaspars got the centre back position on the bench today and it just underlines we've got a strong group of players.
Read more at http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article ... leUpALj.99

Nice PR response to the Marriappa question.

All will be revealed in time.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 05 Aug 2013 08:28

Lovely hot donuts! You lot really love to stir a bit of shit don't you?

Indeed, it's one of the reasons why I hate this website. Or to be more specific, the Team board.

Anyway, shouldn't this be in UR&G?

Cypry

by Cypry » 05 Aug 2013 09:08

As I said in the BFTG thread, Gorkks looked OK against Bristol City - seemed to me that the style Adkins is playing suited him.....

The back four, and specifically at CB, IMO is where we have our biggest issue - we were conceding too many goals through mistakes by the CBs even after Adkins took over last year, and in honesty, Mariappa didn't impress me enormously for those last few games.

Adkins wants them to play with the CBs splitting when we have the ball, allowing the full backs to push on. I thought Gorkks looked comfortable with this approach at Ashton Gate; perhaps Mariappa is taking longer to adjust?

I also wonder whether Gorkks was in some way unsettled last year, perhaps by the rumoured unrest in the dressing room - he seemed a shadow of the player from our promotion year, and to then be shipped out on loan to a doomed Wolves team does make me wonder if there was some kind of issue between him and Brian...it could go some way to explaining his enormous drop in form from one season to the next....

To me the Gorkks of our promotion season = the Mariappa of late last season, so I don't see why it's such a big step for him to be above Mariappa in the pecking order at this moment in time.....