Pogrebnyak

964 posts
One8Seven1

Re: Pogrebnyak

by One8Seven1 » 15 Sep 2013 16:15

Any sensible ref would have looked at the dive, taken note the player was on a yellow, and then ticked him off and told him next time he's off; but to send him off was a terrible decision. That's the worst referring performance I've seen at the Madejski, possibly since the Stoke game at Elm Park actually.

Fezza

by Fezza » 15 Sep 2013 16:24

If he doesn't go down like he's been watching Young then the ref can't send him off! Felt the ref was consistent with the cards he gave, if a bit on the strict side. Common sense lost out all round today.

The complete lack of presence up front does nothing for us, Roberts is the only one of our strikers that offers some creativity - none offer pace! Happy with our two holding midfielders though!

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 15 Sep 2013 16:48

Stupid refereeing and even more stupid from Pog for allowing the ref to make the decision - which as I have said on the match thread was technically correct as both were yellows by the letter of the law.

So Pog’s fresh start ended in dismal failure. Don't know where we go from here. I would say he should never play for us again, but as we have to pay him for three more seasons and therefore cannot afford anyone other strikers, I assume we will have to endure regular fits on stupidly, petulance and sendings off.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 15 Sep 2013 16:56

andrew1957 Stupid refereeing and even more stupid from Pog for allowing the ref to make the decision - which as I have said on the match thread was technically correct as both were yellows by the letter of the law.

So Pog’s fresh start ended in dismal failure. Don't know where we go from here. I would say he should never play for us again, but as we have to pay him for three more seasons and therefore cannot afford anyone other strikers, I assume we will have to endure regular fits on stupidly, petulance and sendings off.

If every yellow by the letter of the law was given, each game would finish 5 a side.

Pog was the victim of a once in a season refereeing decision that could have happened to 100+ other players this weekend but didn't because their ref hadn't completely lost the plot. I fail to see that as reason to "never see him in a Reading shirt again" as some loons seem to want.

johnnym

by johnnym » 15 Sep 2013 16:57

Dreadful from Pog and the ref tbf. I've heard on good authority a deal for Austin was done over the summer but Boris vetoed the cash. How we could do with him, or frankly anyone other than Blackman and Pog.

We are massively lacking upfront, it's a huge concern

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Sep 2013 16:58

The ref had a decent game. Pog deserved all he got. He's an idiot. Anyone who chucks himself to the floor with such a flourish deserves a booking. To do it when already on a yellow is completely bovine brained.

I felt more sorry for their guy who got sent off really.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 15 Sep 2013 16:59

I thought Pog was MOTM.
You lot are a bunch of meanies.
#PrayForPog

Badger Finger
Hob Nob Regular

by Badger Finger » 15 Sep 2013 16:59

We could have Messi up front, but if we can't get the ball to him, then he isn't going to do anything.
That's where I think the problem lies

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 15 Sep 2013 17:00

He was good before he got sent off. Tracking back, holding up well, there was applause from the crowd more than once after he managed to dig the ball out of a challenge and get it away. 1 match ban then strait back in the team. Alf's performance was terrible today by contrast.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Sep 2013 17:03

Schards#2 Did nothing wrong today....

:shock:

1st booking = Stupidity

2nd booking = Even more Stupidity

You might think the 2nd one was harsh but to say Pog did nothing wrong today is just nonsense.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 15 Sep 2013 17:07

Royal Rother The ref had a decent game. Pog deserved all he got. He's an idiot. Anyone who chucks himself to the floor with such a flourish deserves a booking. To do it when already on a yellow is completely bovine brained.

I felt more sorry for their guy who got sent off really.

:lol:

I've been to over 1000 games and that ref's performance was in the worst 10 I've ever seen. Even had the hallmark of a dreadful ref in being desperate to even the sides up after reflecting on the stupidity of his earlier decision.

Second half he just tried to keep out the way, allowing free kicks and throws to be taken 20-30 yards away from the correct position whereas in the first half he was constantly stopping play to move the ball a foot or because the ball was moving fractionally when a free kick was taken, or insisting on droping a ball to a bemused keeper.

Utter clown.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 15 Sep 2013 17:08

Ref was as poor as the standard of play around him tbh. And I agree with RR's thoughts on Pog, stupidity of.

yuomi

by yuomi » 15 Sep 2013 17:13

Badger Finger We could have Messi up front, but if we can't get the ball to him, then he isn't going to do anything.
That's where I think the problem lies

This. Pog is a finisher. He doesn't create chances, he works for space and finished them. If he's got nothing to finish then he can't be effective. As a result of having nothing finish he tried rushing back to try and challenge in the midfield, a job vastly outside his skillset as evidenced by his unwieldy, lunging tackle which earned him his first yellow. His second was idiotic but strictly to the letter of theh law. It's very easy to single out Pog as contributing nothing to the cause, but that's because we aren't giving him the chance to do what he does.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 15 Sep 2013 17:13

Thought Pog held up the ball well and was unlucky to get sent off, even he was a brainless moron

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Sep 2013 17:30

Schards#2 Did nothing wrong today before becoming the first player I have ever seen given a second red for a dive outside the area - just a terrible decision by an utterly terrible ref. He still had more touches than the totally anonymous Le Fondre and remains our best hope of scoring some goals this seasom barring the unlikely event of the club being willing to break the minimum wage whilst venturing into the loan market.

Agreed in all respects.

Ref got the decision very wrong, he may not have been clipped around the foot/leg (although I thought replays showed one of the two Brighton players catch his foot) but, as he was clearly trying to explain to the ref, he was held and then pulled back by his right arm. A foul was therefore committed against him and he should not have been booked for merely emphasising that fact.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 Sep 2013 17:35

Royal Rother
Schards#2 Did nothing wrong today....

1st booking = Stupidity

2nd booking = Even more Stupidity

You might think the 2nd one was harsh but to say Pog did nothing wrong today is just nonsense.

Where in the laws of the game does it say you are not allowed to accentuate (as opposed to simulate) a foul? He was clearly fouled - the problem is the ref and his equally myopic assistant failed to spot his arm being yanked out of his socket as he tried to break clear of the two defenders.

The ref was utter shyte - one of the worst ever. He clearly knew he was having a mare and spent the first five minutes of the second half repeatedly looking at his watch, probably wondering why time was passing so slowly when he just wanted to go home!

As well as some very harsh bookings he also let some cynical challenges go unpunished e.g. Kelly pulling their player's shorts down as he tried to break free!

One8Seven1 Any sensible ref would have looked at the dive, taken note the player was on a yellow, and then ticked him off and told him next time he's off; but to send him off was a terrible decision. That's the worst referring performance I've seen at the Madejski, possibly since the Stoke game at Elm Park actually.

Worst performance since George Cain, the 'Butcher from Bootle', in the cup game at Elm Park and, prior to that, Tony Morrisey at Elm Park who got flattened by a fan at full-time and had to be smuggled out of the ground when a lynch mob was still waiting outside for him some 45-60 minutes after the game finished.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 15 Sep 2013 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 15 Sep 2013 17:37

Royal Rother The ref had a decent game.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Sep 2013 18:31

Throwing yourself to the ground with a little pirouette when you've had your arm held is simulation.

I have no idea why anyone would think otherwise.

If it had been Ashley Young there'd have been collective frothing at the mouth on here.

The ref was a little strict bit I didn't see a single card that was inconsistent with the standards / application of the rules we have come to expect in recent years.

Maybe I just don't give enough of a sh1t anymore.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Sep 2013 18:35

andrew1957 both were yellows by the letter of the law.

You don't know or are ignoring the letter of the law.

Simulation is defined as "attempt[ing] to deceive the referee by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled". Pogrebnyak did not feign injury and did not pretend to have been fouled, because he was fouled. Consequently, he did not commit simulation and should not have been cautioned.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 15 Sep 2013 18:38

Royal Rother Throwing yourself to the ground with a little pirouette when you've had your arm held is simulation.

I have no idea why anyone would think otherwise.

FIFA and IFAB think otherwise, and it is their opinion that the game is supposed to be played by.

964 posts