Dim Tellor Twitter Rant

143 posts
OurManZhangInChina

Re: Dim Tellor Twitter Rant

by OurManZhangInChina » 16 Sep 2013 20:52

I have always rated Dellor - and he performs a wonderful Laurel & Hardy act with Mick Gooding - but I agree that he has gone a bit soft recently; I am astonished at the dismissive attitude which Adkins shows towards him and - by implication - towards us

Can we at least agree on a few facts? -

1. Dellor is better than most radio sports commentators by a considerable distance

2. The guy at least tries to be honest, and certainly has his heart in his commentary

3. Things have not improved since Zingarovich came on the scene - no flood of new money, no new 'vision', none of the 'philosophy' espoused by Sir John

4. Our performance all year has been dire; a measure of this is that the opening match this season against Ipswich is now seen as a high water mark: I was there, and in the first half we were totally crap

5. Adkins is no more McDermott than Rogers was Coppell; both may have their talents, but they are ill-suited to Reading; we play wide - remember Little and Convey? We haven't controlled midfield since Sidwell, and Brighton being allowed 20 shots on Saturday was surely not down to the White Bikey being sent off or the back 4 losing the plot. Leighterwood is not the answer, and Akpan only might be one day.

6. Up front we are a busted flush; Blackmann is not up to it, Alf has lost the plot and we have nobody else (Jason is never going to play in a Reading shirt again). As Dillon remarked on Saturday, hoping against hope that we can get someone else's cast-off on loan is an idle fantasy

7. And Nigel clearly has no Plan B. He's not up to the job, quite frankly - all Hat and no Cattle. Not up to it by a long chalk. What is surely required in our hour of need is a hero to rise to the challenge, a latter-day King Arthur returning to the Mad Stad to save the day, clutching Excalibur in one mighty fist and a 3 year contract for Kevin Doyle in the other. Cometh the hour, cometh Steve Coppell ....

8. If not, on the basis of current form, we are going nowhere at best, and headed for Accrington Stanley next season at worst. Scoff if you must, but at this time last Season, who would have thought we would have been bettered by Yeovil?
Last edited by OurManZhangInChina on 16 Sep 2013 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 16 Sep 2013 20:55

TBM
peterroyal76 I am the person in question! I hadn't tweeted him for a couple of weeks either!

Have you phoned him yet?

I rang him about half two and he had already left. I'm sure I saw him lurking near my flat with one of the previously mentioned cricket bats.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 16 Sep 2013 22:06

Welcome to the board, OurManZhangInChina. Good post.

Kebe's apprentice

by Kebe's apprentice » 16 Sep 2013 22:45

OurManZhangInChina I have always rated Dellor - and he performs a wonderful Laurel & Hardy act with Mick Gooding - but I agree that he has gone a bit soft recently; I am astonished at the dismissive attitude which Adkins shows towards him and - by implication - towards us

1. Dellor is better than most radio sports commentators by a considerable distance

2. The guy at least tries to be honest, and certainly has his heart in his commentary

3. Things have not improved since Zingarovich came on the scene - no flood of new money, no new 'vision', none of the 'philosophy' espoused by Sir John

4. Our performance all year has been dire; a measure of this is that the opening match this season against Ipswich is now seen as a high water mark: I was there, and in the first half we were totally crap

5. Adkins is no more McDermott than Rogers was Coppell; both may have their talents, but they are ill-suited to Reading; we play wide - remember Little and Convey? We haven't controlled midfield since Sidwell, and Brighton being allowed 20 shots on Saturday was surely not down to the White Bikey being sent off or the back 4 losing the plot. Leighterwood is not the answer, and Akpan only might be one day.

6. Up front we are a busted flush; Blackmann is not up to it, Alf has lost the plot and we have nobody else (Jason is never going to play in a Reading shirt again). As Dillon remarked on Saturday, hoping against hope that we can get someone else's cast-off on loan is an idle fantasy

7. And Nigel clearly has no Plan B. He's not up to the job, quite frankly - all Hat and no Cattle. Not up to it by a long chalk. What is surely required in our hour of need is a hero to rise to the challenge, a latter-day King Arthur returning to the Mad Stad to save the day, clutching Excalibur in one mighty fist and a 3 year contract for Kevin Doyle in the other. Cometh the hour, cometh Steve Coppell ....

8. If not, on the basis of current form, we are going nowhere at best, and headed for Accrington Stanley next season at worst. Scoff if you must, but at this time last Season, who would have thought we would have been bettered by Yeovil?

They are not facts :lol:

1. Agree
2. Agree
3. Disagree. Investment into the academy (cat 1), and a promotion to the premier league, with help from Roberts, who would not have been signed without Anton,
4. Disagree. Most people will say Watford was our best performance. We have only lost one league game, so far from dire.
5. If we give him time he will succeed.
6. Agree that we are weak up front. However Blackman is nowhere near as bad as some people on here think.
7. Disagree. Not up to the job? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
8. Last time I checked we beat Yeovil? Also we are in the top 10, and have only lost 1 league game. Do not know why you think we could be relegated at this point.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 16 Sep 2013 23:07

Kebe's apprentice
OurManZhangInChina I have always rated Dellor - and he performs a wonderful Laurel & Hardy act with Mick Gooding - but I agree that he has gone a bit soft recently; I am astonished at the dismissive attitude which Adkins shows towards him and - by implication - towards us

:D
I've taught you well.

Kebe's apprentice

by Kebe's apprentice » 16 Sep 2013 23:10

P!ssed Off
Kebe's apprentice

:D
I've taught you well.

:D :wink:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 16 Sep 2013 23:14

1 - Possibly, I'm not sure as I've not heard many others. Some things really hack me off about him, like how he decides to slowly reveal when someone has scored rather than making it dead clear. Really does my head in. Otherwise he's fine.

2 - Absolutely.

3 - Except for his signing of Roberts propelled us unexpectedly to the PL? What flood of new money were we realistically expecting? HOw can you say that but then say he doesn't fit in with Madejski's philosophy? Either he does and therefore he didn't spend money, or he doesn't in which case he'd have splashed the cash. As for vision, much as I berate him, I think getting cat1, talking about extension, getting Adkins in are all part of a vision to get us PL sustainability even if clumsily executed with confusion and dishonesty and ineptness so far. There is very likely a method to the madness that isn't obvious to the outside world.

4 - Nonsense. It has been average with real lows and also some phenomenal highs (1st half against Watford), which averages out and which the league table tells us. All this whilst losing key players, losing out on transfer targets, and getting the players to adjust to a new style of play. Won't happen overnight. But in any case we were and still are not dire my any stretch of the imagination. Dire compared to unrealistic expectations perhaps.

5- Do you really think we or any club for that matter has a style of play that's written in stone!?? Do you think we'll forever be a hoofball team utilising wingers? That we'll have no midfield? That we'll never pass? That we'll lose possession straight away or that we'll only start playing to win only at 2-0 down? Clearly Brian's method was tried tested and failed and we needed a change, and we will change. That's why we got a new manager in or we'd have just stuck with Brian surely! Agreed re: Sidders, Brighton, Akpan, Bikey, Legs though.

6. Agreed but a no brainer to be fair.

7. Very funny.

8. Even on current form and with no striker, CB cover etc, we'll probably fluke into the playoffs to be fair.

Good first post, f*ck off newbie and all that, but be careful what you call facts. I'm sure we all consider our views as facts.

OurManZhangInChina

by OurManZhangInChina » 17 Sep 2013 05:55

well, at least I sparked a bit of a discussion

you may see me on Wednesday night - I'll be the corpse in a Reading shirt, dangling from a lamppost outside B&Q, having been lynched for cheering Brian rather than Nigel ..... :o

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 17 Sep 2013 07:23

OurManZhangInChina well, at least I sparked a bit of a discussion

you may see me on Wednesday night - I'll be the corpse in a Reading shirt, dangling from a lamppost outside B&Q, having been lynched for cheering Brian rather than Nigel ..... :o

We can but hope.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular

by peterroyal76 » 17 Sep 2013 11:10

I've just tried ringing and was told he wasn't at his desk so I've left my number for him to ring me back.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 17 Sep 2013 11:44

peterroyal76 I've just tried ringing and was told he wasn't at his desk so I've left my number for him to ring me back.

Ask him about the plans for stadium expansion could you - ask what he knows about RFC asking for an extra week before signing.... cheers.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 17 Sep 2013 11:46

Royal Lady
peterroyal76 I've just tried ringing and was told he wasn't at his desk so I've left my number for him to ring me back.

Ask him about the plans for stadium expansion could you - ask what he knows about RFC asking for an extra week before signing.... cheers.

Seriously? I think stadium expansion must be the lowest of priorities at present!! It would be half full for most games at the moment.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular

by peterroyal76 » 17 Sep 2013 14:31

He rang me back earlier today! He came across as a really decent bloke, he wasn't angry or pissed off. He explained that he can only ask a few questions after the game and he can't ask all the questions he has posed or asked during the show. He said he does get on we'll with Nigel although he recognises Nigel can come across as quite abrasive at times. Even going as far to say although he was on very good terms with Brian it was sometimes hard to put points across to him as Brian was such a good bloke.

He is unsure about the alleged money situation at the club, he put in two or three requests to speak to Anton, but he is still out of the country. He also mentioned that sometimes he is asked by the club not to mention things or talk about certain subjects, giving Gareth McCleary not being available to play on Sunday as an example.

joeroyal

by joeroyal » 17 Sep 2013 14:47

The sooner Tiptoe Tim gets the boot the better and seeing as we are on the subject the other two buffoons that sit with him can go with him as well, they speak
absolute nonsense, Tiptoe tim comes across as if he really does understand the game, might be ok for the few that like him, I stopped tuning in to him long long time ago. imagine getting 50k a year to talk garbage, whilst some on here write garbage and don't get a penny just a pat on the back from the other less intelligent ones
Shameful.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 17 Sep 2013 14:55

No Fixed Abode
Royal Lady

Seriously? I think stadium expansion must be the lowest of priorities at present!! It would be half full for most games at the moment.

this^^^^!!!

if ever there was a time for extending the timings of expansion its right fooking now

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 17 Sep 2013 14:55

The best time to plant a tree was twenty years ago.

The second best time is today.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 17 Sep 2013 14:56

peterroyal76 He rang me back earlier today! He came across as a really decent bloke, he wasn't angry or pissed off. He explained that he can only ask a few questions after the game and he can't ask all the questions he has posed or asked during the show. He said he does get on we'll with Nigel although he recognises Nigel can come across as quite abrasive at times. Even going as far to say although he was on very good terms with Brian it was sometimes hard to put points across to him as Brian was such a good bloke.

He is unsure about the alleged money situation at the club, he put in two or three requests to speak to Anton, but he is still out of the country. He also mentioned that sometimes he is asked by the club not to mention things or talk about certain subjects, giving Gareth McCleary not being available to play on Sunday as an example.

bless him

i like tim.

would rather we had a fan doing the commentary than just another random journo tbf
even if that does mean he is occasionally annoying

OurManZhangInChina

by OurManZhangInChina » 17 Sep 2013 15:10

Overall, I am pleased to have Dellor, Gooding and Williams inside the tent pissing out, rather than outside pissing in - even Williams has matured as a meeja presenter (when he started, I thought he was an absolute prat)

The simple fact* is that these three are well suited to Reading's entire ethos; let's face it - this is Reading, not Manchester, not Royal Tunbridge Wells, we are sponsored by Waitrose, not Red Bull, and we have players we think we can relate to rather than celebrities, and 'the 3 Musketeers**' fit well in that family-friendly context

Whatever you can say about Dellor's courage or his knowledge of the game, he is certainly passionate about Reading FC and for that I admire him. (Unlike NA, who I think is a tosser)

* oops. there's that word again!
** motto: 'One for All, and nobody ask any difficult questions afterwards ok...." :roll:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 17 Sep 2013 15:14

ill put up with all of dellors nonsense just so i can here his voice crack with sheer joy every time we score a goal tbf

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 17 Sep 2013 15:15

peterroyal76 He rang me back earlier today! He came across as a really decent bloke, he wasn't angry or pissed off. He explained that he can only ask a few questions after the game and he can't ask all the questions he has posed or asked during the show. He said he does get on we'll with Nigel although he recognises Nigel can come across as quite abrasive at times. Even going as far to say although he was on very good terms with Brian it was sometimes hard to put points across to him as Brian was such a good bloke.

Fair play to TD. It takes some balls to phone up one of your "critics" and take him on like that.

I met him and Mick G out in Portugal on the preseason tour last year and have to say they both come across as very nice, genuine blokes. TD gets a lot of stick, but at least he's a fan who cares about the club as much as we all do.
Last edited by Brum Royal on 17 Sep 2013 15:16, edited 1 time in total.

143 posts