We have the best back 5

2.8 lita injection

We have the best back 5

by 2.8 lita injection » 28 Sep 2013 20:23

Never thought i would see this sort of quality, it makes me think that Adkins will soon just let the other 6 attack.

GK - Future England keeper, please stay for 2 more seasons.

RB - (our weak point) Gunter, dont like him at all, far too nervous in certain situations
CB - Morrison - Destined for the top
CB - Pearce - Class at this level, pace may find him out at a higher level.
LB - Bridge - Nothing to say

Just need wally back to coach the mothers . :wink:

Samrfc01

Re: We have the best back 5

by Samrfc01 » 28 Sep 2013 20:40

The fact that Gunter splits a lot of the fans opinions is testament to how strong our backline is. He would walk into most sides in this division.

I actually quite like him but I can see why others don't.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 28 Sep 2013 20:46

Can I suggest that QPR might have a better back 5 as they have only conceded twice in 9 league matches

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 28 Sep 2013 20:51

JC Can I suggest that QPR might have a better back 5 as they have only conceded twice in 9 league matches

we've only conceded twice in the last 6; perhaps the 5 goals conceded by us in the first 3 was an aberration as the back 5 gelled?

Royal Prince

by Royal Prince » 28 Sep 2013 21:05

Not only have they been performing their defensive roles impeccably, but they have done so whilst developing their game and adapting to a brand new style.

With every game that passes the centre backs are looking much more confident on the ball, bringing it forward at their feet, and more often than not finding their man with a growing array of passes. The full backs are pushing further and further up the pitch, and are almost as important in how we attack as to how we defend. As for our goalkeeper, what a future that lad has in front of him!

They are the rock on which this team will be built.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 28 Sep 2013 21:09

Royal Prince Not only have they been performing their defensive roles impeccably, but they have done so whilst developing their game and adapting to a brand new style.

With every game that passes the centre backs are looking much more confident on the ball, bringing it forward at their feet, and more often than not finding their man with a growing array of passes. The full backs are pushing further and further up the pitch, and are almost as important in how we attack as to how we defend. As for our goalkeeper, what a future that lad has in front of him!

They are the rock on which this team will be built.

Not denying any of that, just questioning if they are the best in the division

Royal Prince

by Royal Prince » 28 Sep 2013 22:00

JC Not denying any of that, just questioning if they are the best in the division

Possibly not when compared to the start that QPR have made, but with our lads still adapting and growing with every game I think we've got another level to find.

Suddenly 23 clean sheets doesn't seem so far removed from reality.

ILoveMoonPig

by ILoveMoonPig » 28 Sep 2013 22:52

I actually think Gunter has really picked up, recently. Today on several occasions, he'd take a touch and find himself in plenty of space and deliver a decent cross, too. I think he's really enjoying Adkins' style, allowing him and Bridge to get forward.

Got to agree with everything you said about McCarthy too. Some of the best goalkeeping performances I've seen at the Madejski. It would be a real shame if he ever leaves, but as long as its to a "top 4" club and he starts pushing for the England 1st team, I wouldn't begrudge him going.

Morison and Pearce I agree, starting to handle strikers with ease. They just seem so secure and in control. And Bridge continues to show why even now, he's so highly rated. His first touch is immense and he's still got pace.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 28 Sep 2013 22:58

I don't like Gunter but he was excellent today. If he can play like today each week he's a great RB, but when he's poor Kelly is a far better option

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 Sep 2013 23:29

ILoveMoonPig I actually think Gunter has really picked up, recently. Today on several occasions, he'd take a touch and find himself in plenty of space and deliver a decent cross, too. I think he's really enjoying Adkins' style, allowing him and Bridge to get forward.

Got to agree with everything you said about McCarthy too. Some of the best goalkeeping performances I've seen at the Madejski. It would be a real shame if he ever leaves, but as long as its to a "top 4" club and he starts pushing for the England 1st team, I wouldn't begrudge him going.

Morison and Pearce I agree, starting to handle strikers with ease. They just seem so secure and in control. And Bridge continues to show why even now, he's so highly rated. His first touch is immense and he's still got pace.

I pretty much agree with all of this.

The only top club I can see coming in for McCarthy are Arsenal. United, Chelsea, City and Spurs have young, world class goalkeepers, and Liverpool just signed a new goalkeeper who is doing well enough so won't waste money on a slight upgrade. Goalkeeper is probably Arsenal's weakest position and an obvious way of improving, and Wenger likes young British players these days.

AkpansBFF

by AkpansBFF » 29 Sep 2013 00:00

If we can keep this back 5 together we will be very successful, in the space of the end of last season to now theyve all learnt a new style so this is only the start

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Sep 2013 00:15

Ok fine but. What about one person gets injured apart from Gunter?

We need proper cover badly.

Another CB as well as Gorky park and a left back please, unless we have academy kids who are good enough.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Sep 2013 00:30

SCIAG I pretty much agree with all of this.

The only top club I can see coming in for McCarthy are Arsenal. United, Chelsea, City and Spurs have young, world class goalkeepers, and Liverpool just signed a new goalkeeper who is doing well enough so won't waste money on a slight upgrade. Goalkeeper is probably Arsenal's weakest position and an obvious way of improving, and Wenger likes young British players these days.

Szczesny is an immense keeper and is young? Hes currently much better than Cortois who looks like hes going to leave soon. Tottenham also might have trouble keeping theirs as Monaco have their sights set on him.

Arsenals weakest point is CB where they only have 3 players and one of them is the most accident prone players in the world..

Kebe's apprentice

by Kebe's apprentice » 29 Sep 2013 01:16

NewCorkSeth

Szczesny is an immense keeper and is young? Hes currently much better than Cortois who looks like hes going to leave soon. Tottenham also might have trouble keeping theirs as Monaco have their sights set on him.

Arsenals weakest point is CB where they only have 3 players and one of them is the most accident prone players in the world..

Courtois is so much better than Szczesny :roll:

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 29 Sep 2013 01:23

Kebe's apprentice
NewCorkSeth

In what ways? Cortois is worse at passing than McCarthy

Kebe's apprentice

by Kebe's apprentice » 29 Sep 2013 01:51

NewCorkSeth
Kebe's apprentice

In what ways? Cortois is worse at passing than McCarthy

Courtois is one of the best keepers in Spain, and has been for the last 2 years. He is an unbelievable shot stopper, which is the main attribute for keeper. Szczesny makes a lot more errors when dealing with shots/crosses when compared to Courtois. So even if his distribution is worse than Szczesny, he is better at the most important parts of being a keeper.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 29 Sep 2013 02:25

A lot of teams have solid defences.

I'd say Leicester (Schmeical, De Laet, Morgan, Moore & Konchesky) & QPR (Green/Cesar, Hill, Dunne, Assou-Ekotto & Simpson) are stronger than us, and we're about equal to Forest, Ipswich, Leeds & Wigan aren't bad either. We've got a claim for the best full-backs and keeper in the league, but Morrison and Pearce are don't offer enough variety for me. Someone like Zurab would change that.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 29 Sep 2013 07:46

2 world wars, 1 world cup Ok fine but. What about one person gets injured apart from Gunter?

We need proper cover badly.

Another CB as well as Gorky park and a left back please, unless we have academy kids who are good enough.

We have Cummings, Gorkss, Kelly. Also Baird has spent a fair amount of his career in defence so he is also cover, How many do you think we need?

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 29 Sep 2013 08:08

I think people are underrating our centre backs or overrating qpr/leicester pairings, i would not swap pearce and morrison for anyone in this league. They may lack a bit of pace but they make up for it in positioning and reading of the the game.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 29 Sep 2013 10:14

Gunter was class yesterday. Best i've ever seen him