Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
Rax

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by Rax » 02 Nov 2013 19:07

The real concern I have with NA is that twice now we've been thumped by "lesser" opposition - it seems that when we lose, we really lose - he just does not seem to have what it takes to turn the team around enough to mount a serious top-two challenge.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 02 Nov 2013 19:11

Kebe's apprentice
floyd__streete
Nothing under McD's 3 years in charge compares with the two thrashing above which Adkins has chalked up in 7 underwhelming months.

Stevanage in the fa cup
4-0 up, then lose 7-5 v Arsenal 3rd XI (at home)
2-0 up v Sheffield united, who were relegated, and lost 3-2 (at home)
Also a heavy defeat at Plymouth, think it was 4-1

Come off it, they don't compare. Stevenage was tight, Sheffield was close, Arsenal played some stars, and we scored five. I did think the away defeat against Plymouth might do for Brian, who was only a caretaker; but I think that was on a Monday after playing Saturday. Brian's team never got hit by cricket scores in the prem--they set up pretty well but were largely outclassed.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Nov 2013 19:13

Kebe's apprentice
floyd__streete
Nothing under McD's 3 years in charge compares with the two thrashing above which Adkins has chalked up in 7 underwhelming months.

Stevanage in the fa cup

1-0 vs Stevenage > 6-0 vs Posh.
Arsenal are one of the best teams in Europe, mate.
The Plymouth result came barely 3 weeks after he'd inherited the mess that that other overrated twat Brendan Rodgers left behind.
Sheff U - granted - was an appalling result, congrats on focussing on what was a solitary loss in 16 league games at the end of 2010/11. A run which Adkins could only dream of.
Good luck in finding a twig with which to beat one of the best managers our football club has ever had. People like you only serve to remind me that Reading FC supporters generally deserve results as appalling as today's :!:

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 02 Nov 2013 19:13

Rax The real concern I have with NA is that twice now we've been thumped by "lesser" opposition - it seems that when we lose, we really lose - he just does not seem to have what it takes to turn the team around enough to mount a serious top-two challenge.

At Peterborough he played Cummings at left back. Playing right backs at left back is like giving the opposition a Trojan horse.

Kebe's apprentice

by Kebe's apprentice » 02 Nov 2013 19:21

floyd__streete
Kebe's apprentice
floyd__streete

Stevanage in the fa cup

1-0 vs Stevenage > 6-0 vs Posh.
Arsenal are one of the best teams in Europe, mate.
The Plymouth result came barely 3 weeks after he'd inherited the mess that that other overrated twat Brendan Rodgers left behind.
Sheff U - granted - was an appalling result, congrats on focussing on what was a solitary loss in 16 league games at the end of 2010/11. A run which Adkins could only dream of.
Good luck in finding a twig with which to beat one of the best managers our football club has ever had. People like you only serve to remind me that Reading FC supporters generally deserve results as appalling as today's :!:

As I have said before, I like Brian. I was not one of the people calling for his head at the time, and was disappointed when he got sacked, as I felt he would have done fine this season. However, all I hear from people after a defeat/draw is how great Brian was, and how Nigel is not a good manager. By mentioning those defeats, I was only pointing out how bad results happen to every manager, and just because you like one more than the other, does not mean that the bad times under the previous regime should be forgotten. I agree with you that Brian was one of the best managers we have had, but we as supporters need to get behind Nigel and the team now.

I agree with you that Rodgers was an overrated twat :mrgreen:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Nov 2013 19:28

Kebe's apprentice As I have said before, I like Brian. I was not one of the people calling for his head at the time, and was disappointed when he got sacked, as I felt he would have done fine this season. However, all I hear from people after a defeat/draw is how great Brian was, and how Nigel is not a good manager. By mentioning those defeats, I was only pointing out how bad results happen to every manager, and just because you like one more than the other, does not mean that the bad times under the previous regime should be forgotten. I agree with you that Brian was one of the best managers we have had, but we as supporters need to get behind Nigel and the team now.

I agree with you that Rodgers was an overrated twat :mrgreen:

Fair play, very reasonably put. I don't 'need' to get behind anyone though.....I pay my money (for home games anyway, can't bring myself to travel too far to watch this rubbish these days) and so if I don't like what or indeed who I see then I reserve the right to say so :!: I don't like Adkins, I don't like TSI.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 02 Nov 2013 19:29

Kebe's apprentice
As I have said before, I like Brian. I was not one of the people calling for his head at the time, and was disappointed when he got sacked, as I felt he would have done fine this season. However, all I hear from people after a defeat/draw is how great Brian was, and how Nigel is not a good manager. By mentioning those defeats, I was only pointing out how bad results happen to every manager, and just because you like one more than the other, does not mean that the bad times under the previous regime should be forgotten. I agree with you that Brian was one of the best managers we have had, but we as supporters need to get behind Nigel and the team now.

Well, you may think those who saw Brian's virtues keep on about it after a bad result under Adkins, but this is the first time I have said anything like that this season. It is a valid discussion, however, because the only justification for Brian's dismissal has to be an improvement in the team. To be fair, we are not in a bad position in the league, but, then, nor are Leeds--so it is not proved so far that Adkins is any better than McDermott. The debate will continue until either Adkins does better than it seemed Brian would have done, or until--worst nightmare--Adkins fails.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Nov 2013 19:33

facaldaqui Well, you may think those who saw Brian's virtues keep on about it after a bad result under Adkins, but this is the first time I have said anything like that. It is a valid discussion, however, because the only justification for brian's dismissal has to be an improvement in the team. To be fair, we are not in a bad position in the league, but, then, nor are Leeds--so it is not proved so far that Adkins is any better than McDermott. The debate will continue until either Adkins does better than it seemed Brian would have done, or until--worst nightmare--Adkins fails.

Well said again. What I would say is that Adkins is not proving to be substantially better than Brian at all. And for that reason, our disloyalty in sacking BMc, in not giving him a chance to take us back up - a chance we afforded Coppell - is proving to be as disgraceful as Zingarevich's comments about BMc in the press conference to unveil Adkins.

Perhaps this thread should be retitled:

Madejski selling to TSI: The right decision?

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 02 Nov 2013 19:42

floyd__streete Well said again. What I would say is that Adkins is not proving to be substantially better than Brian at all. And for that reason, our disloyalty in sacking BMc, in not giving him a chance to take us back up - a chance we afforded Coppell - is proving to be as disgraceful as Zingarevich's comments about BMc in the press conference to unveil Adkins.

Couldn't agree more m8.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 02 Nov 2013 19:44

Interested to know what "if Adkins fails" means exactly.

I've got a heretic view that, to be honest, I'm happier in the top half of the Championship. Last season was morale sapping and watching Palace relive that this season is painful. Ditto what happened to Norwich today.

I suppose the challenge is to get like, say, Swansea . But how long will they last?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 02 Nov 2013 20:47

floyd__streete Football matches are decided on goals scored rather than percentage stats.

Exactly...................................Adkin's supposedly superior style gave us 53% possession today while Wednesday were scoring 5 (FIVE :oops: ) with their meagre 47% :|

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 02 Nov 2013 21:14

Basically appointing NA has put Reading back 3 years, back to where Rodgers was hoping to take us only probably a bit further on from his start point. We are 4 players short of being where we need to be this season.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Nov 2013 21:44

Jesus Christ listen to you lot, I'm as pissed off as anyone but we're fifth in the league and about 10 points better off than when we last won the league at this point. Also, if you're the old guy on the same carriage as me calling for McDermott back, f#ck off.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 02 Nov 2013 22:23

So, just so one of the more simple folk on here can keep up.

We loose - Spitting feathers and cursing the day Brian 'the Messiah' was sacked.

We Win - Meh....right decision.

Just want to follow he crowd as I am not capable of making my own mind up on things and stuff innit.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 02 Nov 2013 22:29

Just LOL at all the bitching and moaning during our best start to a season since the 106 year.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 02 Nov 2013 22:29

He`s not coming back, stop crying

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 02 Nov 2013 22:47

floyd__streete
facaldaqui Well, you may think those who saw Brian's virtues keep on about it after a bad result under Adkins, but this is the first time I have said anything like that. It is a valid discussion, however, because the only justification for brian's dismissal has to be an improvement in the team. To be fair, we are not in a bad position in the league, but, then, nor are Leeds--so it is not proved so far that Adkins is any better than McDermott. The debate will continue until either Adkins does better than it seemed Brian would have done, or until--worst nightmare--Adkins fails.

Well said again. What I would say is that Adkins is not proving to be substantially better than Brian at all. And for that reason, our disloyalty in sacking BMc, in not giving him a chance to take us back up - a chance we afforded Coppell - is proving to be as disgraceful as Zingarevich's comments about BMc in the press conference to unveil Adkins.

Perhaps this thread should be retitled:

Madejski selling to TSI: The right decision?

Two different scenarios.
IMO Coppell's achievements were greater than Brian's, and his failures were lesser.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 02 Nov 2013 23:01

We were very poor defensively today, but we're still 5th in a competitive league and that shouldn't be forgotten in all the hysteria that will likely follow in the next few days. If we can get some form of defensive misery going at the back then we're playing well enough going forward to make a decent fist of it this season.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 02 Nov 2013 23:10

Mcdermott was rightly sacked because his brand of football will never work in the prem.

We have replaced him with the man who is mostly responsible for Southamptons success.

Definitely the right decision to sack brian.

The only slight doubt I have in adkins is that the team dont seem to be learning from their mistakes.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Nov 2013 23:30

To borrow a phrase from Steve Coppell, Adkins, much like his apologists, is "all fur coat and no knickers".

Brian was a Reading man through and through, he understood the club and what made it special. Then some stupid little Russian boy, spoiled by his Daddy, got rid of him merely because he didn't like the way his toy Yo-Yo went up and down. Well the string has frayed and now people may finally be seeing the expense of frivolously sacrificing a big part of the identity of Reading Football Club for a stupid "style" shaped sense of idealism. The quiet, unassuming and intelligent likes of Steve Coppell and Brian McDermott are worth a million times more than braggarts like Nigel Adkins and Brendan Rodgers.

"Style of Play", good grief.

3714 posts