BFTG QPR

217 posts
Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG QPR

by Gunny Fishcake » 09 Nov 2013 20:54

The tosser Troll who started this thread doubt if he even went to the game.......good gutsy performance from Reading...Pog and McCarthy outstanding .....bit of luck could have nicked three points......nothing wrong with that effort

WestRoyal

by WestRoyal » 09 Nov 2013 20:55

RoyalBlue
Kebe's apprentice
wingnut The wall for the free kick was set up all wrong - it wasn't lined up properly and Alex had positioned himself so that he couldn't see the ball until it was too late. None of that was Gunter's fault.

McCarthy was to blame for a shocking wall, although he would have gotten away with it if Gunter had not moved. Also think Guthrie could have got something on it.

Watch again - Guthrie was shoved and then held out of the way by their player in the wall (clearly the reason he went into the wall in the first place). The wall was lined up fine - Barton would have had great difficulty getting the ball over it and back down again, and didn't try to swerve the ball around it. He hit the ball hoping to exploit the hole created by his team-mate shoving a defender out of the way and actually found the hole kindly created by Gunter turning sideways!

Guess Gunter is an awful player then

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 09 Nov 2013 21:15

Well that was INFINITELY better than last week and ultimately we come away with a deserved point against the best group of individuals this league has to offer, but for ten minutes it looked like it would end up another mauling. Junior Hoilett really is a machine when it comes to running with a ball, probably the best dribbler of a football in the league and he can really strike a ball too and, for me, the best attacking outlet on the pitch (equally matched by Johnson when he came on).

As for our performance, as I said, it was sooo much better than last week. More penetration, more purpose, still very suspect at left back with Kelly playing. If Matt Phillips had more balls about him he'd have given Kelly as much of a roasting as Antonio did last week and probably should have scored near the end when he had Kelly one-on-one, Kelly standing off three yards and backing off continually. Twice in two weeks that's happened, it cost us once. He has to get closer, much closer to his man. Gunter himself did extremely well on the whole up against Hoilett but his performance wasn't exactly flawless. Take the countless throw-ins gifted straight to QPR, as well as the Johnson effort near the end which flew wide - he chose to stand fully two yards off him 10 yards out and allowed an instinctive finisher an unhindered shot on goal. Lucky ladders Mr Gunter!! Then there were the two or three occasions when he got far too close to Johnson and allowed him to spin in behind him. Gorkks was ok, but for a couple of criminal errors in the opening five minutes resulting in clear chances for QPR, and of course he was guilty of the last-ditch lunge on Austin for the equaliser. Morrison, however, utterly supreme in defence. Can't remember him putting a foot wrong.

Pogrebnyak has, in the space of a month or so, become absolutely integral to this team, he was an absolute beast today under absolutely no protection from Anthony Taylor. His touch and strength are absolutely immense, and it's no surprise given we are starting to get the ball into him where he is most effective - chest downwards!

A few general points:-

1) I hate the way our midfield is so easy to play through. How many times today was a pass played long and low from defence into Austin in attack? Defence to attack in an instant, and that has to stop. It is, in part, due to our tendency to stand off our opponents and this led to the equaliser in the end when one of our many second half attacks broke down, the ball ended up 30 yards from the QPR goal at the feet of one of their midfielders. Two Reading men were in close attendance and from my angle able to close down the space. Neither did, allowed the man to turn and play the ball to Andy Johnson who dribbled, cut in, played to Austin and then free kick. It is all too easy for opponents to counter-attack against us simply because we don't close down the space when they pick up the ball.

2) Anthony Taylor, Jesus wept, an absurd refereeing performance full of inconsistency.

3) I really don't get the QPR chip on the shoulder. Where's it from? You want to be like us? Absolutely oxf*rd not. Sadly they really don't know their place which is somewhere around the Charltons, Leicesters and Blackburns of the Football League.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Nov 2013 21:17

Yeh, wtf is wrong with our throws? Pretty much lost it every time.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 09 Nov 2013 21:18

Kebe's apprentice I have only seen it live so I must have missed that. Annoying how teams out players in the wall to shove others out of the way. Surprised that doing that is not seen as a foul.

Surely it can't be seen as a foul because the shove out of the way happens before the ball re-enters play :|

Kebe's apprentice

by Kebe's apprentice » 09 Nov 2013 21:20

handbags_harris
Kebe's apprentice I have only seen it live so I must have missed that. Annoying how teams out players in the wall to shove others out of the way. Surprised that doing that is not seen as a foul.

Surely it can't be seen as a foul because the shove out of the way happens before the ball re-enters play :|

Refs stop pushing and shoving during corners, so why not free kicks? If it happens, don't let them take it.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 09 Nov 2013 21:33

Not much discussion about just the one change so here's a thought:-

I also think the worrying thing about today is the confidence was so obviously lacking from Alex Pearce after all the abominations, some of his play was that of a player who really didn't want to be there. You're looking for the right character in these situations and Pearce showed all the wrong traits.

Directly quoted from my very own match report on TTE last week...wonder if there's anything in it?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 09 Nov 2013 21:38

handbags_harris Not much discussion about just the one change so here's a thought:-

I also think the worrying thing about today is the confidence was so obviously lacking from Alex Pearce after all the abominations, some of his play was that of a player who really didn't want to be there. You're looking for the right character in these situations and Pearce showed all the wrong traits.

Directly quoted from my very own match report on TTE last week...wonder if there's anything in it?

I think it was Mr Watts who mentioned earlier in the week that Adkins inferred he had learnt a lot about the character of some players in that game. Not sure if it was a direct quote though.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 09 Nov 2013 21:39

handbags_harris Not much discussion about just the one change so here's a thought:-

Pearce seemed in a good mood going into this game
"The mood's been good, we got over the defeat quite quickly.

Early on in the week we looked at the goals, we saw where we could have done better and we were all open and honest with what we were saying with each other.

We know that we're better than that, to concede five goals in any game is not good enough and we know that as a group of players, we'll be looking to put that right.

We'd like to think that the Madejski is a bit of a fortress for us at the moment and we'd like to just keep that going.

We know what QPR are about, we know they're a good team, they'll be looking to get a positive result and so will we."

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 09 Nov 2013 21:41

JR Really entertaining game that could have gone either way.

If you look at QPR's team it's frightening how many prem players / bright young hopes from the past they have.

Probably a fair result.

Pog was absolutely immense - a man possessed.

Ref was best of the season by a long way - only one incorrect decision IMHO

McCarthy needs to learn to kick.

Yep, this sums it up for me.

Other observation - Austin runs with his hands out, like a very dainty young lady.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 09 Nov 2013 21:45

Ian Royal I like all the criticism of McCarthy and Gunter for the goal. If Gorkss hadn't lunged like a total clown it wouldn't have been an issue. You could see from the second the QPR player slightly mis-controlled it that we were going to conceed from a freekick.

Good point, a very rash challenge that was unneeded.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 09 Nov 2013 22:11

QPR really do have an amazing squad, be shocked if they didn't go up

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 09 Nov 2013 22:24

winchester_royal

I think it was Mr Watts who mentioned earlier in the week that Adkins inferred he had learnt a lot about the character of some players in that game. Not sure if it was a direct quote though.

Implied

I was quite surprised by the change so it is good to see some sort of logic behind it. It was a bad decision by Adkins but we almost got away with it.

:- :roll:

Royal Prince

by Royal Prince » 09 Nov 2013 22:56

For me Adkins had to make a change, you can't concede five goals and keep the same defensive line up, I mean what message does that send out to both the players involved and those on the edge of the first team?

Thoughts on the game; a fair result. Shame we didn't go for it more late on, especially as QPR were effectively carrying Hoilett through the last 10mins but they still showed just as much intent.

For me our star man was Pog who's all round game is improving along with his confidence. McCarthy made some impressive saves but distribution was poor. As for QPR it pains me to say it but Barton was a contender for MOTM, and what a squad they have on their hands there (Kranjcar, Onuoha & Johnson all brought on from the bench!).

P.s to those asking about the ball leaving the stadium, it has indeed happened before. In fact I can't remember the opposition but I'm sure when it did finally happen for the first time it happened twice in the same game. Anyone able to confirm this?

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 09 Nov 2013 23:02

WestRoyal jumped out of the way for the goal for a start. Unforgiveable.
[/quote][/quote]

Anything else....? Or is that it. If it was guthrie that jumped out the way would he be awful? So there must be something else.[/quote]

It was McCarthy's fault for their goal

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Nov 2013 23:09

Unbelievable Jeff

You can keep saying it, but just because he might have don't better, doesn't mean he should carry the whole can. Suggesting as much is really rather simple.

And sort your quoting out.

Unbelievable Jeff

by Unbelievable Jeff » 09 Nov 2013 23:16

Ian Royal
Unbelievable Jeff

You can keep saying it, but just because he might have don't better, doesn't mean he should carry the whole can. Suggesting as much is really rather simple.

And sort your quoting out.

Apart from Gorkks giving away the foul, the rest of the blame was McCarthy's.
Firstly he did not position his wall in the right place!
His positioning was all wrong, he made it easy for Barton as he stood in the middle of the goal and practically let him have a free shot into the bottom corner. He should have moved to the side of the west stand and then Barton would have had no other choice but to try and bend it up and over, if this was the case we would have most likely not of conceded.

And it wasn't my original quote

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Nov 2013 23:18

WestRoyal jumped out of the way for the goal for a start. Unforgiveable.
[/quote][/quote]

Anything else....? Or is that it. If it was guthrie that jumped out the way would he be awful? So there must be something else.[/quote]

look again. He basically gets out of the way of the ball. He's meant to stop the ball from going in. He's a defender ffs and he does that. Should be dropped.

However, a better performance but we still aren't creating enough chances, and we pass the ball at back like virgins in a brothel.

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 09 Nov 2013 23:40

tmesis Bacon baps in the jazz cafe were good. Little else really lived up to that standard.

I thought QPR might take us apart in the early stages, but it was fairly even after that.

I still watch every game almost unable to believe how bad we are off the ball. When we break so few players know where to run to create an option for a pass.

It results in a large number of attacks breaking down because a player either plays a "no option" desperate pass that's easily intercepted, or players just run down blind alleys until they lose the ball.

What he said

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 09 Nov 2013 23:56

WestRoyal
leon
jumped out of the way for the goal for a start. Unforgiveable.

Anything else....? Or is that it. If it was guthrie that jumped out the way would he be awful? So there must be something else.

21 minutes - Allowed Hoilett, who was going away from goal, to turn him far too easily and run into the box where he passed to O'Neil whose shot had to be blocked by Morrison.

217 posts