Pogrebnyak

964 posts
Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Pogrebnyak

by Extended-Phenotype » 06 Dec 2013 14:52

floyd__streete
Extended-Phenotype

The Goodies, weren't they basically just 33% more sh*t than Hale & Pace :?: Loved 'The Funky Gibbon'*, mind :!:

* God, I hope Jason Roberts isn't reading this :!:

The Gibbon in the song is in reference to a Gibbon. Rather than a black guy. So I guess he'd be fine with it.

PS:

Goodies >>>>>>> Hale & Pace >>>>>>>> Little & Large >>>>>>>>> Jimmy Cricket >>>>>>> Toast of London

NeilD

by NeilD » 06 Dec 2013 15:07

floyd__streete
Extended-Phenotype

The Goodies, weren't they basically just 33% more sh*t than Hale & Pace :?: Loved 'The Funky Gibbon'*, mind :!:

Surely "The Goodies" will be 50% more or "Hale & Pace" 33% less?

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 18 Jan 2014 19:35

I was one of only a few who said he would come good at the end of last season when everyone else was saying to get rid, been by far our best player of the season so far

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 20 Jan 2014 09:24

POG = POTS :D

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 20 Jan 2014 09:59

URZZZZZ I was one of only a few who said he would come good at the end of last season when everyone else was saying to get rid, been by far our best player of the season so far

Bolton players looked terrified of him on Saturday .... gave him way too much space. Thought he was immense - but looked frustrated not to have scored a goal from open play in a 7:1 thrashing. That I'd say is still his weakness - not enough goals .... but if we keep playing like this I'm sure he'll get his own hat-trick sooner or later. A revelation for me was his penalty - very well taken .... after the disaster of the Sharpe penalty it was good to see.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Jan 2014 12:25

Extended-Phenotype
floyd__streete
Extended-Phenotype

The Gibbon in the song is in reference to a Gibbon. Rather than a black guy. So I guess he'd be fine with it.

And the monkey in the astronaut joke was a reference to a monkey, rather than a black guy. Was he fine with that? I think not!

Returning to Pog. He was again immense on Saturday and the only reason he didn't score from open play was that he was too damn busy working his socks off to cause havoc and fear in the Bolton defence whilst also creating goals for others.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 20 Jan 2014 22:25

loved the way Adkins said ALF gave him the ball for the penalty. Looked more like Pg wrestled it off ALF tbf

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 18 Feb 2014 14:28

http://www.soccerex.com/industry-news/r ... -new-deal/

Reading FC striker Pavel Pogrebnyak has signed a representation agreement with MB Partners.

The agency, founded by former Formula One driver Mark Blundell, will assume responsibility for the 30-year-old Russian international’s global commercial rights.

Blundell commented: “It’s great to add another international sporting star to our client portfolio with the signing of Pavel Pogrebnyak.

“He is without doubt one of the stars of Russian football, as well as making a name for himself as a formidable striker in the English game.”

Pogrebnyak, a Uefa Europe League winner with Spartak Moscow, joins the likes of Kimi Raikkonen and Louise Hazel in MB Partners’ stable of athletes.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 27 Apr 2014 07:40

So why the hate?

He seems like an unassuming bloke, works hard most of the time, dire service all season.

Is it because he's Russian? Is it because he's on a lot of money?

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 27 Apr 2014 10:38

PistolPete So why the hate?

He seems like an unassuming bloke, works hard most of the time, dire service all season.

Is it because he's Russian? Is it because he's on a lot of money?

They may be factors for some. Hopefully the former is a tiny(minded) minority.
For others I think they assume a striker must get a hatful of goals every week regardless of the lack of service. I remember the abuse Shane Long used to get. Despite regularly being our best player he wasn't scoring enough for many. Look how that turned out?
There have been a few games where Pog has looked off the pace, but excepting those he has lead the line well for most of the season. It seems at our level we will have players who are inconsistent. Some of those get forgiven far easier by fans than others. Jobi & Ledge got loads of stick last season for being out of their depth due to previous over-performance.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Apr 2014 11:27

He's got some simple weaknesses in his game, hasn't lived up to expectations and is paid a shed load of money. Even without great service he should do better than he is. But he's a decent player and just secured 2 points.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 27 Apr 2014 12:54

I really like Pog. I think he's a very decent player & does a hell of a lot of work chasing down, holding the ball up, bringing others into play yet people always have a pop at him. Probably because of what he earns, but not exactly his fault is it? You'd all take the money too.

If he was someone from our academy, most on here would be fawning over him.

My only major criticism would be he goes down far too easily but other than that I really rate him & I won't change my mind.

It's no coincidence that when we up our game re: slick, quick passing he always comes into his own. Every single time we've dug a result out of late, it's because we've upped the tempo & played the ball on the ground & you can see he grows into the game so much more.

IF we go up, he will do very well for us I think.

I would also like to add that not once has he come across as a billy big bollox. He seems quite a shy, polite, unassuming fella who wants to do well. His face when he scored - he was overjoyed.

Admit it naysayers, how can you be angry at a face like that? :lol:

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 27 Apr 2014 13:21

Agree totally.

Its also not his fault that we so often play to his one weakness (hoofing it up to his head), when he has so many strengths (i.e. receiving the ball below the neck)

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 27 Apr 2014 13:22

NeilD
floyd__streete
Extended-Phenotype

Surely "The Goodies" will be 50% more or "Hale & Pace" 33% less?

Fewer

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 27 Apr 2014 19:05

I don't think anyone has ever hated the chap. As mm says he's a polite unassuming chap and is actually quite endearing.

He's good at this level but not earth shatteringly good. And in the PL he was mediocre and will probably be mediocre again unless NA can get the best out of him.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 27 Apr 2014 22:02

I hear he's not good enough for the Premier League and he's shit with his head...

:roll:

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 27 Apr 2014 22:09

Cureton's Volley I hear he's not good enough for the Premier League and he's shit with his head...

Have you got many other gifs of him playing well throughout the 38 game season?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 27 Apr 2014 22:13

That is a quality goal though. +1 for the pog love.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Apr 2014 22:15

Cureton's Volley I hear he's not good enough for the Premier League and he's shit with his head...

Seriously, one goal does not prove anything. Parky scored a screamer from distance once, does that mean he was a great shooter from distance?

There's also a difference between headed finishing of a cross and winning a header from a ball up to you with your back to goal.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 27 Apr 2014 22:33

He has tried hard this year, and has been my favourite player for loads of the season, but he is not very good at heading and hasn't scored enough goals.

964 posts