HNA approval/disapproval of NA

418 posts

how long should we keep nigel adkins as manager?

get rid of now, his tactics are weak and we can do better
16%
give him till the end of december, then we will see where we are
4%
give him time to make signings in january and we will assess in march
6%
give him till the end of the season, he deserves a full season to show what he can do
44%
i am currently happy with our position in the table and the quality of football we are playing. this shouldnt be a discussion
20%
other
9%

Total votes: 232
Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

Re: HNA approval/disapproval of NA

by Man Friday » 04 Jan 2014 12:25

Handsome Man In the past we have had some great players - Long, Siggurdson and Kebe, for example - and we have had some very good players on tremendous form - Karacan, Leigertwood, Mills, Federici. At the moment we don't have a single great player, and our very good ones are injured or seem flawed. All through this season, it has felt like other teams have just had better players than us. That is why this seems like the worse squad we have had in a long time. Poor Adkins.

Rubbish. He just hasn't got the best, or anywhere near it, out of them.

That's the mark of a good manager.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 04 Jan 2014 13:37

Man Friday
Handsome Man In the past we have had some great players - Long, Siggurdson and Kebe, for example - and we have had some very good players on tremendous form - Karacan, Leigertwood, Mills, Federici. At the moment we don't have a single great player, and our very good ones are injured or seem flawed. All through this season, it has felt like other teams have just had better players than us. That is why this seems like the worse squad we have had in a long time. Poor Adkins.

Rubbish. He just hasn't got the best, or anywhere near it, out of them.

That's the mark of a good manager.

Rubbish HM. A few of us were discussing at a recent home game that, on paper at least, we have one of the best squads we've ever had. 2 good keepers, 2 CB that kept 20+ clean sheets at this level 2 years back, Guthrie & McCleary are quality players, ALF/Sharpe proven goalscorers at this level, Pog 30+ caps for Russia. In fact I doubt we've had a squad ever with more international caps than this one. Throw in Bridge, Drenthe and Carrico (who is still a RFC player) and you're telling me we don't have a single great player? We have good players at the club with a manager who seems to have no idea how to get the best out of the squad that we have.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 04 Jan 2014 13:51

I'd wager that at present our back line barring McCarthy is probably one of the worst in the division.

Osborns scoop

by Osborns scoop » 04 Jan 2014 13:58

MmmMonsterMunch I'd wager that at present our back line barring McCarthy is probably one of the worst in the division.

Worst performing considering their ability, maybe. Worst ability, no.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 04 Jan 2014 14:27

Osborns scoop
MmmMonsterMunch I'd wager that at present our back line barring McCarthy is probably one of the worst in the division.

Worst performing considering their ability, maybe. Worst ability, no.

The only one showing any ability is Gunter. The rest have been pretty awful & I don't think Adkins is accountable for that personally.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Jan 2014 14:48

They've all shown great ability under managers who knew how to get the best out of them.

As ever, Adkin's apologists have so much sh*t in their eyes they will never see the wood for the trees.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 04 Jan 2014 15:00

Woodcote Royal They've all shown great ability under managers who knew how to get the best out of them.

As ever, Adkin's apologists have so much sh*t in their eyes they will never see the wood for the trees.

As ever, Adkins haters blame him for absolutely everything because they have no braincells.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 04 Jan 2014 15:05

MmmMonsterMunch
Woodcote Royal They've all shown great ability under managers who knew how to get the best out of them.

As ever, Adkins haters blame him for absolutely everything because they have no brain cells.

This.

Earlier in the season we all wanted to see some kids get a chance. Two of those start today, three more on the bench, two others traveled. Adkins also told Mick Gooding recently that he wants a big clear out, so he clearly see's problems with a few of the squad. Sadly there are fans that just wont have any of that and it has to be the managers fault.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 04 Jan 2014 16:45

I think it's an interesting question, what actually is the managers' job? Is his job to get the players to play his way, or to play the best way for the players? Now, obviously it's a mixture of both but at the minute I feel he's leaning far too much to trying to force a system that doesn't work onto this group of players. I think he should revert a little until he gets the players in that can play the system he wants. We've seen a few times this season that these players are easily good enough to beat most of the teams in this league but for one reason or another it's not happening - and that does seem to be partly to do with the system.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 04 Jan 2014 16:55

Stick this here as well, as it's quite clearly something not right in the team and wont be helping us.

SPARTA
John Madejski's Wallet If only we had a manager who could actually manage players, rather talk a good ideal game in his head.

And on the pitch. Drenthe arguing with Crosby and refusing to accept his instructions. That's a problem right there! We already had our doubts that the players weren't doing what Adkins asked of them, and there's a prime example!

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 Jan 2014 17:03

Drenthe is another full of promise player that ultimately fails to deliver. The squad lacks "winners". Players that give 110% every game. One's who simply don't turn up to collect their overly inflated wages.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 06 Jan 2014 16:54

Woodcote Royal As ever, Adkin's apologists have so much sh*t in their eyes they will never see the wood for the trees.

Yep :lol:

He needs £35 million to spend and each passing desperate defeat and performance is the fault of the players. Some people are so concerned at the thought of being proved wrong, it is almost as desperate as the football we've been watching.

By the way, you added a rogue apostrophe to the name 'Adkins'. Not that it matters much because it is surely only a matter of time until his name is forgotten anyway.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 06 Jan 2014 16:58

SPARTA
MmmMonsterMunch

As ever, Adkins haters blame him for absolutely everything because they have no brain cells.

This.

Earlier in the season we all wanted to see some kids get a chance. Two of those start today, three more on the bench, two others traveled. Adkins also told Mick Gooding recently that he wants a big clear out, so he clearly see's problems with a few of the squad. Sadly there are fans that just wont have any of that and it has to be the managers fault.

:?: :!: :D

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 06 Jan 2014 17:27

floyd__streete
Woodcote Royal As ever, Adkin's apologists have so much sh*t in their eyes they will never see the wood for the trees.

Yep :lol:

He needs £35 million to spend and each passing desperate defeat and performance is the fault of the players. Some people are so concerned at the thought of being proved wrong, it is almost as desperate as the football we've been watching.

By the way, you added a rogue apostrophe to the name 'Adkins'. Not that it matters much because it is surely only a matter of time until his name is forgotten anyway.

Bit harsh, i reckon he could do it with £34m

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 06 Jan 2014 19:00

SPARTA
Earlier in the season we all wanted to see some kids

Not sure I can support this sentiment.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 08 Jan 2014 16:56

kwik-silva I think it's an interesting question, what actually is the managers' job? Is his job to get the players to play his way, or to play the best way for the players? Now, obviously it's a mixture of both but at the minute I feel he's leaning far too much to trying to force a system that doesn't work onto this group of players. I think he should revert a little until he gets the players in that can play the system he wants. We've seen a few times this season that these players are easily good enough to beat most of the teams in this league but for one reason or another it's not happening - and that does seem to be partly to do with the system.

I flipping said this a few pages ago - or it might be on another similar thread, but I did say it and I totally believe he's causing the same scenario as Matt Mills had with Rodgers - ie. not understanding what his role was in Rodgers' style of play. I think Guthrie is suffering because he's trying to play Adkins' way, but the others just aren't able to, mainly due to their lack of ability. So keep it simple. Every time he seems to change the style of play in the last 15 mins or so, is when we start creating more chances and playing better imo.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Jan 2014 17:15

I think we're really struggling because we can't get a decent balanced side out and our squad isn't suited enough to either style of play leaving us caught in nomansland.

We're arguably down our two best defenders. Our midfield has been all over the shop with Karacan, Obita, Baird, and Williams in and out and Akpan failing to perform off the bench. Same with the wingers and the AM / second striker. Our shape has regularly changed.

Now partly the unsettled side is down to Adkins, but plenty of it has been out of his control.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Jan 2014 17:20

Bandini
SPARTA
Earlier in the season we all wanted to see some kids

Not sure I can support this sentiment.

No Watkins-o

418 posts