by Extended-Phenotype » 08 Jan 2014 16:05

Maguire Oh don't be a child

Shit, good xmas was it??

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Le Fondre - Come and get me plea

by floyd__streete » 08 Jan 2014 16:42

LUX
Mr Angry I can think of at least 5 Reading strikers who would have buried that chance; Kitson, Butler, Quinn, Senior and Dixon.

and Sessions

:lol:

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 08 Jan 2014 16:57

Even if ALF's "sitter" at Brighton was the worst miss of the century so far, surely his ability in front of goal leaves everyone else at this club trailing in his wake and has the strike rate to prove it. Just how many times did the next to useless Simon Church get in our starting line-up despite firing blanks (or jack sh*t :roll: ) on most occasions?

It's clear ALF's not wanted by the current idiot in charge of team affairs and, having spent most of his time here sat on our bench despite a very decent record, he's more than entitled to look for a club that wants him in to start every week.

I would much rather any up coming "clear out" involved Adkins and the coaching staff responsible for this highly tedious, sleep inducing style of play, than wave goodbye to players who have shown themselves more than effective at this level when managed by consummate professionals who don't have their heads stuck up their backsides.................................................but given this seems unlikely in the short term, I'll continue to contribute to the thousands of empty seats around the Mad Stad :|

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 08 Jan 2014 17:05

I like the way you italicise AND use quotation marks around the impact word.

When you use just one you are indeed in danger of people misjudging how much of a wanker you are.

Kudos.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 08 Jan 2014 17:07

Is that it?

My work is done :P

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 08 Jan 2014 17:13

Actually, I didn't really mean you were a oxf*rd. I'm imagining people doing the inverted comma signs with their fingers.

They usually wear cartoon socks.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Jan 2014 17:20

HoneyRoastHoax

That goal still gives me the tingles in my lower regions

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Jan 2014 17:53

Woodcote Royal Even if ALF's "sitter" at Brighton was the worst miss of the century so far, surely his ability in front of goal leaves everyone else at this club trailing in his wake and has the strike rate to prove it. Just how many times did the next to useless Simon Church get in our starting line-up despite firing blanks (or jack sh*t :roll: ) on most occasions?

It's clear ALF's not wanted by the current idiot in charge of team affairs and, having spent most of his time here sat on our bench despite a very decent record, he's more than entitled to look for a club that wants him in to start every week.

Exclude minutes played and goals scored when he has come on as a sub and just work out his strike rate when he has played a full 90 minutes. I suspect his strike rate then is nowhere near as impressive.

As for leaving him sat on the bench it's not just the current 'idiot' who has been doing it. The previous 'idiot' in charge of team affairs also had a tendency to keep (supersub) ALF on the bench. So both 'idiots' got it wrong?

Maguire
Extended-Phenotype
Maguire Neither of those chances were easy and I wouldn't expect either player to score from there.

You'd expect the shots on target.

They're not trying to just hit the target though, they're trying to score a goal. That means trying to hit the corners, or apply pace to the header, or whatever.

If they knew they'd get a pass off the HNA massive just for hitting the target then ALF would have flicked his header into the keeper's hands and been done with it.

Headers from eg. 13 yards out are tough to score from and I don't believe for one second that Quinn, Kitson, Senior, et al never missed headers like that.

But we are not looking at the standards set by mere mortals like Quinn, Kitson and Senior. This is ALF that ALF is talking about. He is much better than that!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 08 Jan 2014 17:58

Mr Angry I can think of at least 5 Reading strikers who would have buried that chance; Kitson, Butler, Quinn, Senior and Dixon.

Add Morley too.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 Jan 2014 18:30

RoyalBlue
Exclude minutes played and goals scored when he has come on as a sub and just work out his strike rate when he has played a full 90 minutes. I suspect his strike rate then is nowhere near as impressive.

Whatever way you cut the cake ALF score more goals, and he'd score even more if not demotivated.

He is better than a goal every other game when starting this year.

IMO we should find a way to play him. He gets goals. END

09 Appearances 0203 Minutes 3 Goals 067 Mins per Goal ALF (Sub)
18 Appearances 0892 Minutes 7 Goals 127 Mins per Goal ALF (All Games)
09 Appearances 0688 Minutes 4 Goals 172 Mins per Goal ALF (Starting)
10 Appearances 0481 Minutes 2 Goals 241 Mins per Goal Sharp
20 Appearances 1518 Minutes 6 Goals 253 Mins per Goal POG
16 Appearances 0690 Minutes 2 Goals 345 Mins per Goal Blackman

marekisgod

by marekisgod » 08 Jan 2014 19:44

'I like Alf but both of those misses are shocking.'

Shock horror our BEST striker misses a chance , I wonder if other valued strikers in other teams get criticised for missing a chance !

How short a memory we all have when it comes to Alfie ..........

Chelsea classy equaliser last season
Watford goal earlier this season ....when he started upfront with Pog & to quote NA 'best performance since ive been here '

The man is a natural born striker and yes he will miss chances but if the ball fell to a player in the box in the 90th minute of the play off final and it was 0-0 who would you rather it fell to ...............Pog , Blackman, Sharp , HRK lol or Alfie ?

There are many more failings in the team at the moment than Alfie ...................end of !

marekisgod

by marekisgod » 08 Jan 2014 19:51

peterroyal76
HoneyRoastHoax Against Brighton he didn't bother chasing any defenders down, they are very capable passing from the back but under no pressure its easy for them. You saw the difference when Pog came on and all of a sudden we had a lot more possession.

The ball was passed into his feet from the wing when he was side onto the goal and a defender at his back. He missed the ball and it trickled harmlessly passed him.

He missed an absolutely free header 6 yards from goal.

He did a flick at goal in the first half.

This is literally all I recall him doing.

I appreciate everything he has done for us but if he was a new signing and put in that performance I would be horrified. You're only as good as your last game.

Only 6 yards out? It's getting close with each post!

Were you actually at the game .......................

The flick was a classy touch that was played behind him and the only way he could make contact with the ball .

He actually held the ball up quite well & its practically impossible to close defenders down when they play 4 at the back and your the only striker with all the midfielders playing deep because they are too shit scared to make a mistake or have a positive thought ..............

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Jan 2014 19:56

Big Foot Unless Pogrebnyak is hopeful of ALF flicking it on for him to bang in (from a better position)

How many headers do you ever see scored from further out than the penalty spot? RFC or not - I can't name many.

My hat-trick goal at Wembley was a header from further out than the penalty spot 8)

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 08 Jan 2014 20:05

Snowball
RoyalBlue

Whatever way you cut the cake ALF score more goals, and he'd score even more if not demotivated.

He is better than a goal every other game when starting this year.

IMO we should find a way to play him. He gets goals. END

09 Appearances 0203 Minutes 3 Goals 067 Mins per Goal ALF (Sub)
18 Appearances 0892 Minutes 7 Goals 127 Mins per Goal ALF (All Games)
09 Appearances 0688 Minutes 4 Goals 172 Mins per Goal ALF (Starting)
10 Appearances 0481 Minutes 2 Goals 241 Mins per Goal Sharp
20 Appearances 1518 Minutes 6 Goals 253 Mins per Goal POG
16 Appearances 0690 Minutes 2 Goals 345 Mins per Goal Blackman

But he doesn't get goals if the team isn't creating chances does he? END

What's more, when he's not scoring goals he offers considerably less to the team than several other alternatives. Both McDermott and Adkins appeared to think that way.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 08 Jan 2014 20:07

Robin Friday would have controlled the ball with his upper body, brought it down, drawn the keeper & waltzed past him before kneeling down to head the ball over the line!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Jan 2014 20:51

RoyalBlue

Robin Friday would have controlled the ball with his upper body, brought it down, drawn the keeper & waltzed past him before kneeling down to head the ball over the line!
from the halfway line

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 08 Jan 2014 20:55

AthleticoSpizz
RoyalBlue

from the halfway line

In front of 100,000 people.

355 posts