Sheff Weds - Back from the game

291 posts
MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Sheff Weds - Back from the game

by MmmMonsterMunch » 08 Feb 2014 19:29

paddy20 Just what did he do when he came on apart from playing safe passes? At least Akpan tries to do something creative and as a result sometimes it goes wrong. Is it all coincidence that without guthrie we started a good run?

To be totally honest, I'm not sure if the upturn in form is to do with Guthrie not playing. I suspect it's just as much to do with us upping the tempo a bit, playing 2 up front & having a bit more confidence. I wouldn't say Guthrie is definitely the reason we didn't have the tempo before either. I also think Guthrie was hampered by his shoulder injury for a few of those matches which didn't help.

Thought Akpan was our poorest player today. IMO Guthrie looked good when he came on - won the ball in some key areas & made some good passes.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 08 Feb 2014 19:30

McCarthy's handling for the second was very disappointing. I thought Akpan was dire, Pearce got skinned twice in the first few minutes before giving away a very poor penalty. If Hector can come in and use his pace and impress, then I'm hoping Pearce takes a back seat for the remainder of the season. It's not exactly the first time pace has caused him problems; it's every bloody time! He's on a big improved contract and I can't honestly say he merits it.

Gunter and Obita were decent today. The rest completely non-plussed about. We didn't look half as interested as we have done of late. There was a distinct lack of closing down compared to recent games. I'm sure it has nothing to do with it, but those sat around me were discussing if SJM's 'honesty' about cloth cutting and doing things his way again this summer may have a negative effect on the players. Those that have anything about them could now be focused on getting away this summer, knowing this is no longer a club that can match their ambitions; while the more average of the players may just feel a sense of demotivation. I'm not sure I agree, but I would have preferred SJM not to have mentioned his cost cutting plans until the end of the season!

Home atmosphere was pathetic!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Feb 2014 19:33

Can't fault the effort, but you could tell it wasn't going to go our way when both ALF and Pog failed to score when you'd expect them to and then Pearce got himself.sent off stupidly.

Thought we picked the second best ball too often and were too direct. We were at our best driving through midfield. Very sloppy passing at times and some poor crossing. All in all though I thought it was a pretty good showing for 70 minutes with 10 men.

I thought ALF's miss was more a case of superb keeping from Kirkland.

McCarthy shouldn't have conceded the second. But then he shouldn't have been able to stop that early second half shot.

Another day and we'd have won that comfortably.

Big Hec debut away against QPR? Baptism of fire.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 08 Feb 2014 19:34

Well Hector could make an instant impact if he comes in on Sunday & we get something from QPR. Good luck to him & I really hope he can cement himself in there. I agree about Pearce & I'm still confused as to why we agreed to give him a big pay rise when it was quite apparent no Prem teams wanted him.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 08 Feb 2014 19:36

winchester_royal I thought we played okay considering tbh. Wednesday were by far the most cynical, cheating bunch of c*nts we've seen this season, and given the competition that's saying something.

However, like some, I do think our tactics when down to 10 men were all wrong. We should have sacrificed one of the strikers, but considering the form of Alf and Pog over the last few weeks I can understand NA's reasoning for sticking with them.

When you look at our tactics after going a man down 10 minutes in, it was similar tactics and personnel to when we were throwing the kitchen sink at it for the last quarter against the likes of Forest. We can't play only one defensive minded player in defence for 80 minutes. Stupidity!
Our three best players at crossing it recently were in defence!

Should have gone 3-5-1 imo; sacrificed Alf for Hector.
Hector, Gorkss, Gunter at the back. McCleary and Obita playing wide at wingback.
I assumed McCleary was only going to rightback temporarily whilst the subs were warming up.
Last edited by P!ssed Off on 08 Feb 2014 19:38, edited 1 time in total.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 08 Feb 2014 19:37

Sh*t happens and there was plenty of it it today.

Adkins tactics second half were piss poor as we continually just lumped the ball forward all the time for the Owls centre backs to head clear.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 08 Feb 2014 19:38

Not sure why Adkins dropped McCleary to right back when McAnuff could've done a job there leaving McCleary to carve out chances like usual. Questionable tactics after the red card, and lots and lots of hoofball. Again. Most of the players stopped trying after half time

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Feb 2014 19:38

SPARTA McCarthy's handling for the second was very disappointing. I thought Akpan was dire, Pearce got skinned twice in the first few minutes before giving away a very poor penalty. If Hector can come in and use his pace and impress, then I'm hoping Pearce takes a back seat for the remainder of the season. It's not exactly the first time pace has caused him problems; it's every bloody time! He's on a big improved contract and I can't honestly say he merits it.

Gunter and Obita were decent today. The rest completely non-plussed about. We didn't look half as interested as we have done of late. There was a distinct lack of closing down compared to recent games. I'm sure it has nothing to do with it, but those sat around me were discussing if SJM's 'honesty' about cloth cutting and doing things his way again this summer may have a negative effect on the players. Those that have anything about them could now be focused on getting away this summer, knowing this is no longer a club that can match their ambitions; while the more average of the players may just feel a sense of demotivation. I'm not sure I agree, but I would have preferred SJM not to have mentioned his cost cutting plans until the end of the season!

Home atmosphere was pathetic!

The massive Ego that is Madejski seemed almost delighted to be back in charge again and looking forward to 'cutting the coat according to the cloth'. Only a fool thinks they can keep winning the lottery with just a couple of tickets. Really pissed off that BBCRB gave him a platform to spout his views and didn't have the guts to ask him why the transfer funding hadn't been made available to Adkins when he had clearly said that it would. Suspect that the w*nker CMZ had told them they would only get their interview if they didn't question him about that.

Had he put his money where his mouth was and delivered on his unqualified assurances of transfer funding we would have stood a much better chance of promotion and his cloth cutting might not have been necessary.

The Real Sandhurst Royal Sh*t happens and there was plenty of it it today.

Adkins tactics second half were piss poor as we continually just lumped the ball forward all the time for the Owls centre backs to head clear.

Didn't realise that Adkins had brought himself on. Still I'm sure the McDermott school of football enjoyed the second half 'style' with memories flooding (no pun intended) back.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 08 Feb 2014 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 08 Feb 2014 19:39

P!ssed Off
winchester_royal I thought we played okay considering tbh. Wednesday were by far the most cynical, cheating bunch of c*nts we've seen this season, and given the competition that's saying something.

However, like some, I do think our tactics when down to 10 men were all wrong. We should have sacrificed one of the strikers, but considering the form of Alf and Pog over the last few weeks I can understand NA's reasoning for sticking with them.

When you look at out tactics after going a man down 10 minutes in, it was similar tactics and personnel to when we were throwing the kitchen sink at it for the last quarter against the likes of Forest. We can't play only one defensive minded player in defence for 80 minutes. Stupidity!
Our three best players at crossing it recently were in defence!

Should have gone 3-5-1 imo; sacrificed Alf for Hector.
Hector, Gorkss, Gunter at the back. McCleary and Obita playing wide at wingback.
I assumed McCleary was only going to rightback temporarily whilst the subs were warming up.

Yep I agree about sacrificing a striker & steadying things at the back. McCleary sticking at RB cost us dearly but like Winch said Alf & Pog have been on fire of late. Perhaps if it was 0-0 with 10 men he might have done that, but knowing we needed to get one back probably swayed his decision to keep them both on.

retro_royal

by retro_royal » 08 Feb 2014 19:41

Matt from Wokingham spot on during the post match phone in with Adie.

the taphouse

by the taphouse » 08 Feb 2014 19:42

pearce was the donkey he is.....Bring on Hector we need some speed in the back four :mrgreen:
Last edited by the taphouse on 08 Feb 2014 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

MeMeMe

by MeMeMe » 08 Feb 2014 19:42

floyd__streete Unfortunately, we had BBC Radio Berkshire on in the car home so we got to listen to Adkins excuse making, bemoaning the sending off. I think more the problem and certainly more worthy of his concern is the fact that Pearce managed to get the wrong side of his man 4 times in 8 minutes, the final time fatally so. Before then we should have been ahead anyway, Saint Adam Le Fondre making an utter hash of a chance with only the 'keeper to beat then Pog could/should have done better with a further opening. A day of individual mistakes, compounded by yet another misplaced pass by the woeful Hope Akpan. Moment later game over, McCarthy should have held on to the initial effort but he saved from point blank at 0-1 earlier anyway.

If we need to make budget cuts next season can we start with the management team first? If we're going to hit long diagonals to Pog - so famously dominant in the air :| - at 0-2 then perhaps we could find a manager from League 2 at the fraction of the wage we waste on Adkins.

Spot on with your assessment of Pearce and the game. Pearce really oxf*rd it up. Yes, should have done better with our chances and then it would have been a different game altogether.Not too sure about replacing Adkins though, It was just one of those days at the office !!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Feb 2014 19:43

Ian Royal Can't fault the effort, but you could tell it wasn't going to go our way when both ALF and Pog failed to score when you'd expect them to and then Pearce got himself.sent off stupidly.

Thought we picked the second best ball too often and were too direct. We were at our best driving through midfield. Very sloppy passing at times and some poor crossing. All in all though I thought it was a pretty good showing for 70 minutes with 10 men.

I thought ALF's miss was more a case of superb keeping from Kirkland.

In that situation the keeper shouldn't have got a look in. I'm sure ALF would acknowledge that himself, being the clinical striker that he is.

retro_royal Matt from Wokingham spot on during the post match phone in with Adie.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Of course you were Matt!

Because we would have done so much better today under McDermott and wouldn't have seen the players resorting to the hoof tactics in the second half! :roll:

Still he could have stood on the touchline and admired the way that a player he discarded turned our defenders inside out.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 08 Feb 2014 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

jumpers for goalposts

by jumpers for goalposts » 08 Feb 2014 19:46

Floyd has taken a hell of alot of of stick on this thread, and whilst he is a miserable git, I can't say I disagree with any of the key criticisms he makes.

Adkins should not be trying to deflect the heat onto the officials for one of the most obvious red cards you'll ever see. No options at all for the ref other than sending him off. Pathetic from the manager

The endless long balls to Pog were also tactical ineptitiude at its best. Stick Blackman on straight away if that is how we were trying to get back in the game. Hell, stick my 89 year old grandmother up top and see if she can win a flick on. Better chance of that than Pog doing anything in the air

Finally- McAnuff; one of the worst displays I have seen in ages. Mis placed every single pass, fluffed every single cross, and shouldn't have emerged for the second half. Another tactical mystery from Adkins

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 08 Feb 2014 19:51

Re: McAnuff. His set-pieces are absolutely dire, and it's not like that's breaking news either. If Guthrie isn't in the side, surely someone else can take the free-kicks and corners? Obita seems to take them if it requires a left foot in-swinger, but he would also be a better bet than McAnuff for a left foot out-swinger. McAnuff is bloody awful from set-pieces!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Feb 2014 19:55

jumpers for goalposts Floyd has taken a hell of alot of of stick on this thread, and whilst he is a miserable git, I can't say I disagree with any of the key criticisms he makes.

Adkins should not be trying to deflect the heat onto the officials for one of the most obvious red cards you'll ever see. No options at all for the ref other than sending him off. Pathetic from the manager

The endless long balls to Pog were also tactical ineptitiude at its best. Stick Blackman on straight away if that is how we were trying to get back in the game. Hell, stick my 89 year old grandmother up top and see if she can win a flick on. Better chance of that than Pog doing anything in the air

Finally- McAnuff; one of the worst displays I have seen in ages. Mis placed every single pass, fluffed every single cross, and shouldn't have emerged for the second half. Another tactical mystery from Adkins

One of the most obvious reds you'll ever see? You obviously haven't attended many games then. Firstly was their contact? Pearce says no and I thought not at the time. Secondly Gorkks was back their as well so Pearce was not the last man in my opinion. So I completely disagree with you view on that incident.

jumpers for goalposts

by jumpers for goalposts » 08 Feb 2014 20:03

Their player was through on the keeper so what has Gorkss got to do with it? Gorkks was a few yards behind the play

This is the bit that gets me from Adkins;

'Okay, the referee gives a penalty, but there's no way it should have been a red card'

If it was a penalty then it has to be a red card. Why doesn't he just say I didn't think it was a penalty? Making a cheap excuse for a piss poor error from one of his players who must do better. Pearce is not a particularly good footballer, so his positional play has to improve. Ivar ingimarsson was a classic case of a limited player making the most of what he had by excelling at positional play. Perhaps Pearce could learn from this example

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 08 Feb 2014 20:03

retro_royal Matt from Wokingham spot on during the post match phone in with Adie.

Not wrong there mate...Adie got abit rattLOLed.... :mrgreen:

Hear it here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01qq63b from 32mins...

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 08 Feb 2014 20:04

MmmMonsterMunch
paddy20 Just what did he do when he came on apart from playing safe passes? At least Akpan tries to do something creative and as a result sometimes it goes wrong. Is it all coincidence that without guthrie we started a good run?

To be totally honest, I'm not sure if the upturn in form is to do with Guthrie not playing. I suspect it's just as much to do with us upping the tempo a bit, playing 2 up front & having a bit more confidence. I wouldn't say Guthrie is definitely the reason we didn't have the tempo before either. I also think Guthrie was hampered by his shoulder injury for a few of those matches which didn't help.

Thought Akpan was our poorest player today. IMO Guthrie looked good when he came on - won the ball in some key areas & made some good passes.

Good reasoned argument and you may be right. I didn't think Akpan was that bad today though. He tried a couple of things that didn't come off and there was one loose ball. Don't you think his square balls ( no pun intended)and dallying with possession slows the game down though?

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 08 Feb 2014 20:05

jumpers for goalposts Floyd has taken a hell of alot of of stick on this thread, and whilst he is a miserable git, I can't say I disagree with any of the key criticisms he makes.

The happy clappers just cannot cope with Floyd's wisdom tbf.
When Floyd sees a shit game, he'll say he saw a shit game.

How many people on here rack up 20+ "we were thoroughly unlucky to lose points today" a season.
Dare to say that 0 shots on target in 90 minutes at home against a poor team is pathetic and the likes of MmmMonsterMunch will out you as a "spoilt brat".
Not even a shot in their 18 yard box today. :shock:

The happy clappers long for the day when the pessimists and realists like Floyd will oxf*rd off. Then they'll be able to sing "We're by far the greatest team the world has ever seen" ad finem, regardless of results.
Last edited by P!ssed Off on 08 Feb 2014 20:14, edited 2 times in total.

291 posts