Hooliganism at Reading

455 posts
The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Hooliganism at Reading

by The Prisoner » 22 Mar 2014 10:00

Joking aside - nobody has mentioned a certain Rainbow Carpets who are unfortunate enough to share the front page with this fabulous Roger Cook like insight. Can I suggest emailing them - info@rainbowcarpets.co.uk - to inform them of the displeasure that the publication whose pockets they have lined has caused?

Not suggesting for one minute that you don't get your quality carpets, vinyls, laminates & carpet tiles - some of which can be fitted within 7 days - from the lovely people at Rainbow*, am suggesting you politely request that they do not spend another penny with this rag if they ever want to see you as a customer in the future.

The only way to bring a paper down quickly is to cut off its advertising revenue.

Perhaps that can be repeated with the 10 largest advertisers inside? Somebody may wish to post a list if them with email addresses?

* other floor covering shops are available

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 22 Mar 2014 10:21

The Prisoner Joking aside - nobody has mentioned a certain Rainbow Carpets who are unfortunate enough to share the front page with this fabulous Roger Cook like insight. Can I suggest emailing them - info@rainbowcarpets.co.uk - to inform them of the displeasure that the publication whose pockets they have lined has caused?

Not suggesting for one minute that you don't get your quality carpets, vinyls, laminates & carpet tiles - some of which can be fitted within 7 days - from the lovely people at Rainbow*, am suggesting you politely request that they do not spend another penny with this rag if they ever want to see you as a customer in the future.

The only way to bring a paper down quickly is to cut off its advertising revenue.

Perhaps that can be repeated with the 10 largest advertisers inside? Somebody may wish to post a list if them with email addresses?

* other floor covering shops are available

Done

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 22 Mar 2014 11:41

As much of a shambles that article was, not sure it's worth making a lot of innocent people unemployed over.

westongeezer

by westongeezer » 22 Mar 2014 11:48

Mailed them yesterday and told them unless we see an apology to the fans aswell me and my father will pull all advertising from now on, its a Ox#]#d disgrace I am fkig fuming.......

dizzynewheights
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Waitin at a red light, Kentucky Fried Chicken in, Low End Theory tape in, bass crazy kicking in

by dizzynewheights » 22 Mar 2014 12:04

As a small business struggling in a difficult economy I imagine Rainbow Carpets have much better things to do than deal with a load of spam from oh so offended mong football fans

westongeezer

by westongeezer » 22 Mar 2014 12:15

As a small business owner, why would I advertise with a paper that's going to lose readership?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 22 Mar 2014 12:44

westongeezer As a small business owner, why would I advertise with a paper that's going to lose readership?

I wish it would lose readership...

However it won't will it. The only ones who really care are all the fans who go to game-after-game and actually see the reality - which is on the whole we're well behaved. Any bad behaviour

Those fans who go to home games, or just 5-6 games a year, or less are going to be sucked in to thinking there are hooligans at Reading and will have loved the article.

Their news paper sales will remain the same I think

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 22 Mar 2014 12:46

dizzynewheights oh so offended mong football fans

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Mar 2014 17:50

bobby1413
westongeezer As a small business owner, why would I advertise with a paper that's going to lose readership?

I wish it would lose readership...

However it won't will it. The only ones who really care are all the fans who go to game-after-game and actually see the reality - which is on the whole we're well behaved. Any bad behaviour

Those fans who go to home games, or just 5-6 games a year, or less are going to be sucked in to thinking there are hooligans at Reading and will have loved the article.

Their news paper sales will remain the same I think

I don't think anyone who's been to more than 3 Reading games ever would believe it.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 22 Mar 2014 17:57

As Cardiff edge ever closer to relegation, the thing that must be worrying them most about leaving the PL is that their supporters will once again have to face the fearsome 'Hoolihoops'!

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 22 Mar 2014 19:02

really is a disgraceful article. based on the examples provided, Reading's hooligan trouble appears to amount to us "pushing a QPR fan", "waving a man utd scarf at man city fans" and calling someone at millwall "fat".

Compare and contrast with polish hooligans

http://www.ultras-tifo.net/news/2144-wi ... rison.html

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 22 Mar 2014 20:00

I was a journalist for 20 years and, while I met many decent people who remain my friends, there are some complete bell ends in the industry (no surprise there obviously). I found some of the worst culprits to be 'up and coming' journos with massive egos who thought they were Bob Woodward (he of the Watergate expose). Actually, they probably didn't have a clue who Woodward was. Some of them were truly awful people who thought they were far, far better than they really were and whose only real interest was in their byline. I was stunned at how many young journalists did not even have a basic understanding of grammar let alone what actually constitutes a story.
I would suggest the author of this appalling piece of journalism is such a character. Having said all that it was approved by the editor so he, or she, should take responsibility for a 'story' that isn't a story and is actually just embarrassing. If the Chronicle really thinks this is 'investigative journalism' then they don't know what investigative journalism is. Although, given the broad shoulders and egos of many of the journo types I describe above there is a good chance they don't actually give a shit.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 22 Mar 2014 20:13

Why is the Chronicle trying to do investigative journalism anyway. Just report the local news - that's what I want from a local newspaper

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 22 Mar 2014 20:43

Why would you want to advertise in a paper that only sells 5000 copies a week

royalgrumpy

by royalgrumpy » 22 Mar 2014 20:45

A friend of mine works at the Chronicle and says the editor still stands by the story, and is pretty smug about the attention it's received. His superiors aren't as happy, especially with sales of the paper on the decline. Short-term they may have sold a few more papers, long-term they could face further losses which the paper cannot afford.

dizzynewheights
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Waitin at a red light, Kentucky Fried Chicken in, Low End Theory tape in, bass crazy kicking in

by dizzynewheights » 22 Mar 2014 20:50

You might have a point if the people complaining were regular buyers of the paper who now intended not to buy it. This is not the case.

1871 not 1998

by 1871 not 1998 » 22 Mar 2014 20:57

I didn't realise Pervy Maurice was still there.

download

by download » 22 Mar 2014 21:25

1871 not 1998 I didn't realise Pervy Maurice was still there.

Just saw this on the Chronic Facebook site - made me smile;

Maurice is now the second fiddle I think, Martin Bentley. There's a woman in charge called Tessa now. Note the unfortunate email address she has: http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/author/twatkins/

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 22 Mar 2014 21:33

3points Why is the Chronicle trying to do investigative journalism anyway. Just report the local news - that's what I want from a local newspaper

I wouldn't say it was investigative journalism. The police dished up their logbook of hooliganism related incidents at Reading over the last few years.

No doubt plod were hoodwinked into that and didn't realise the agenda or slant the Chronicle story would take, given the later comment from TVP.

A tawdry episode all in all.

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 23 Mar 2014 11:23

The Prisoner Joking aside - nobody has mentioned a certain Rainbow Carpets who are unfortunate enough to share the front page with this fabulous Roger Cook like insight. Can I suggest emailing them - info@rainbowcarpets.co.uk - to inform them of the displeasure that the publication whose pockets they have lined has caused?

You can suggest it, but you'll sound like a tedious cúnt with too much time on your hands.

455 posts