Confimred new owners of Raeding Footbal Club

8684 posts
Who Moved The Goalposts?

Re: Buyout

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 10 Apr 2014 12:42

SPARTA Net Debt reaches £38.1m

Interesting!

Apart from the net debt (which I guess is payable to a combo of the banks/AZ/SJM), the thing that immediately stands out is our commercial department seems to be underperforming. Surely we could at least match QPR and Southampton in that respect? The other figures tend to suggest we are running things as tight as we can get away with. Just goes to show that even a bottom of the league club cannot do things cheaply in the PL. QPR's figures are just laughable.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Apr 2014 12:47

LOL @ QPR

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 10 Apr 2014 13:40

Extended-Phenotype Reading are around 11/2 to get promotion.

Promoted team >>>>> Promotion candidate >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Championship team

Difficult to calculate it without the actual values but I reckon it would be an odd gamble to take.

So those odds suggest it's a 1 in 5.5 chance of getting promotion, (but bookies odds are always "deflated" from reality, so you could say it's nearer 1 in 7, or 14.2% chance). On that basis it seems reasonable to suggest that a buyer would only be willing to pay 14.2% more as a result of being a candidate for promotion.

And it isn't as if he loses everything if we don't go up. The shares still have a value if we stay down.

Seems like a no-brainer of a gamble to me.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 10 Apr 2014 13:51

Royal Rother
Extended-Phenotype Reading are around 11/2 to get promotion.

Promoted team >>>>> Promotion candidate >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Championship team

Difficult to calculate it without the actual values but I reckon it would be an odd gamble to take.

So those odds suggest it's a 1 in 5.5 chance of getting promotion, (but bookies odds are always "deflated" from reality, so you could say it's nearer 1 in 7, or 14.2% chance). On that basis it seems reasonable to suggest that a buyer would only be willing to pay 14.2% more as a result of being a candidate for promotion.

And it isn't as if he loses everything if we don't go up. The shares still have a value if we stay down.

Seems like a no-brainer of a gamble to me.

Not suggesting he will lose everything if we stay in the championship. Just that their value now is higher, the likelihood of promotion not great and the likelihood of Reading losing players, reducing wages and performing worse if we remain is high.

I'd sell now.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 10 Apr 2014 21:05

Royal Rother The shares still have a value if we stay down

You really think so with £38.1m of net debt as at last summer and a season of heavy losses this year? This followed by more seasons of losses? Personally I think the shares are worthless, and that is why a buyer can't be found, because AZ and SJM want someone to pay value for the shares. But then again, some nutcase has just paid £25m for Leeds supposedly!

Stevie G

by Stevie G » 10 Apr 2014 21:25

3points

You really think so with £38.1m of net debt as at last summer and a season of heavy losses this year? This followed by more seasons of losses? Personally I think the shares are worthless, and that is why a buyer can't be found, because AZ and SJM want someone to pay value for the shares. But then again, some nutcase has just paid £25m for Leeds supposedly!

I agree with the logic, and as this creates uncertainty then this affects the performance. I also read the other day a view that the TSI deal could be a sting, own the controlling stake in the club, bring it to it's knees and then buy the remainder cut price. I'm sure that there are lots of possible permutations.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Apr 2014 00:23

3points

Point I was making was that whether they are worth £1 or £10m, they will only be worth a smallish percentage more right now (with a smallish chance of promotion), than if we end up in the same league at the beginning of next season, so it is an understandable "gamble" holding on to the shares for now because if we do go up they WOULD have a value.... (probably!).

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 11 Apr 2014 07:21

We won't be going up. I will run round Reading naked doing cartwheels if we do

jellytot

by jellytot » 11 Apr 2014 07:31

Probably for the best all round that we do not go up then!

To be fair. We are just not good enough. We have hardly functioned as a team all season. Only in bits. The league is so shite we are in 6th. Bournemouth are much better. Good luck to them. I imagine we will slip out in the next couple of games.. Leicester and Wigan. We will need 4 points from them really. If we do not have Williams available forget it all.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Apr 2014 08:50

Royal Rother
3points

Point I was making was that whether they are worth £1 or £10m, they will only be worth a smallish percentage more right now (with a smallish chance of promotion), than if we end up in the same league at the beginning of next season, so it is an understandable "gamble" holding on to the shares for now because if we do go up they WOULD have a value.... (probably!).

That doesn't really make any sense. If only a small value is added because the chance of promotion is small, you wouldn't hang on to the shares on the promise of promotion. I don't think, anyway.

multisync1830
Hob Nob Regular

by multisync1830 » 11 Apr 2014 14:28

hopefully that loss figure will put paid to all those who believe the club is loaded. The fact is that they are running out of time to secure a buyer. It still could turn nasty.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Apr 2014 14:59

Extended-Phenotype
Royal Rother

That doesn't really make any sense. If only a small value is added because the chance of promotion is small, you wouldn't hang on to the shares on the promise of promotion. I don't think, anyway.

Eh?

Yes you would because if we do go up the shares increase significantly in value.

Stay down and the shares won't be worth significantly less than they are now, with a small chance of promotion.

If he lost his stake (shares) if we failed to go up it would be a different consideration entirely, but he wouldn't.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Apr 2014 15:03

Royal Rother
Extended-Phenotype
Royal Rother

Eh?

Yes you would because if we do go up the shares increase significantly in value.

If he lost his stake (shares) if we failed to go up it would be a different consideration entirely, but he wouldn't.

But like you said, the chances of promotion are small, so the chances of the value increasing more than they are now are likewise small. So they are probably at the highest value they are most likely to be, so it would be logical to sell now.

It's not complicated, eh-face.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 11 Apr 2014 15:07

Isn't this all a bit academic if, despite numerous visits no-one has shown the slightest interest in buying.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Apr 2014 15:09

I think whether or not Anton may be thinking of holding on to his shares or not, is fairly relevant to a thread about a buyout.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 11 Apr 2014 15:21

Extended-Phenotype I think whether or not Anton may be thinking of holding on to his shares or not, is fairly relevant to a thread about a buyout.

It would seem he has no choice whatsoever as no-one wants to buy them

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Apr 2014 15:32

paddy20 Isn't this all a bit academic if, despite numerous visits no-one has shown the slightest interest in buying.

a visit by prospective buyers is a sign of some interest

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 11 Apr 2014 15:48

paddy20
Extended-Phenotype I think whether or not Anton may be thinking of holding on to his shares or not, is fairly relevant to a thread about a buyout.

There's plenty of interest, it's just for some reason it all comes to an abrupt end - we assume because of money. The debt as of last summer was £38.1m, and that will be even greater now. If AZ and SJM want £20m for the shares as well, it's no wonder we can't secure a new owner.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 11 Apr 2014 16:16

melonhead
paddy20 Isn't this all a bit academic if, despite numerous visits no-one has shown the slightest interest in buying.

a visit by prospective buyers is a sign of some interest

Its a bit like opening a shop and loads of customers coming in but no-one buys. Something is wrong, either the price is too high, the wages are too high or the team aren't very good. Or of course all three!

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 11 Apr 2014 16:34

SPARTA
paddy20

There's plenty of interest, it's just for some reason it all comes to an abrupt end - we assume because of money. The debt as of last summer was £38.1m, and that will be even greater now. If AZ and SJM want £20m for the shares as well, it's no wonder we can't secure a new owner.

60M or so does not sound a lot for a club of Reading's stature. Good stadium, strong fan base, fantastic youth academy.

I genuinely hope (want to think) that the delay if more to do with SJM's genuine desire to find someone with actual real money rather than another wannabe.

8684 posts