No excuses

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

No excuses

by floyd__streete » 21 Apr 2014 22:26

Nigel Adkins is a lucky man. Our position has improved today without even playing. Who would have foreseen Brighton dropping points at home to a Blackpool side who haven't won since the last Ice Age?

I don't want to hear any more guff about the ownership issue and injuries; despite a largely underwhelming season we have a real opportunity to clinch a play off place now with two wins against midtable Boro and a Burnley side very ably managed by Sean Dyche but who - despite having sold their best goalscorer in the summer to a rival - are now 'on the beach' having vastly outperformed sides such as Reading. That opportunity lies squarely with the players of course - many of them have hugely let this club down this season and the commitment of a number of them must be in doubt - but the bloke in charge is the one who tactically advises them as to the gameplan, he is ultimately responsible and needs to step up to the plate at long last because I can't think of many games which Adkins has 'won' us.

It isn't just the prize of saving this largely dire season on offer now. It is the very financial future of the club.

Messing up a top 6 place from here would be an abject failure.

Come on Reading.

Rax

Re: No excuses

by Rax » 21 Apr 2014 22:35

I totally agree Floyd - we've been terrible of late but it is in our hands now - Adkins must now man up and earn his job.

It is possible, 3 wins and it's job done.

Step up Nigel, this is your destiny calling!

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 21 Apr 2014 22:43

floyd__streete Nigel Adkins is a lucky man. Our position has improved today without even playing. Who would have foreseen Brighton dropping points at home to a Blackpool side who haven't won since the last Ice Age?

I don't want to hear any more guff about the ownership issue and injuries; despite a largely underwhelming season we have a real opportunity to clinch a play off place now with two wins against midtable Boro and a Burnley side very ably managed by Sean Dyche but who - despite having sold their best goalscorer in the summer to a rival - are now 'on the beach' having vastly outperformed sides such as Reading. That opportunity lies squarely with the players of course - many of them have hugely let this club down this season and the commitment of a number of them must be in doubt - but the bloke in charge is the one who tactically advises them as to the gameplan, he is ultimately responsible and needs to step up to the plate at long last because I can't think of many games which Adkins has 'won' us.

It isn't just the prize of saving this largely dire season on offer now. It is the very financial future of the club.

Come on Reading.

I often don't agree with you but do today. It seems no one wants the 6th spot and now RFC have been given yet another lifeline and really don't have any excuses.

Failure to get 6th now and heads should roll.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Apr 2014 22:47

Obviously we should do what we should ave done several times already, take the bull by the horns and go and bloody secure our place with some wins. But with a patched up, out of form team absolutely devoid of confidence or ideas, let alone a discontent fanbase ready to turn from supportive at the first sign of capitulation, does anyone actually expect us to win tomorrow?

Probably draw just to string out the death throes of the season to the very end.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 21 Apr 2014 23:00, edited 1 time in total.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 21 Apr 2014 22:53

Throes

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Apr 2014 23:00

melonhead Throes

Damnit, I had that and changed it. What a mug.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 21 Apr 2014 23:04

floyd__streete Nigel Adkins is a lucky man. Our position has improved today without even playing. Who would have foreseen Brighton dropping points at home to a Blackpool side who haven't won since the last Ice Age?

Come on Reading.

Agree 100%. You'll still get the Avon Royal's of the world lining up to give the excuses if he fails.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 21 Apr 2014 23:12

Classic Floyd before-timing.

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 21 Apr 2014 23:24

The way this season has been going, just one win and a draw will probably end up being enough from here. However...I seriously doubt our squad of chokers will be able to even manage that. This season has been so very frustrating, all the pieces seemed to be there but we just seem to be constantly snatching failure from the jaws of success.

I don't know who to blame for it, the squad certainly isn't as strong mentally as perhaps it should be. NA doesn't seem to be able to inspire them to go out and take a game by the scruff of the neck and dominate it all the way to 3 points. And the lack of a solid base of support from the ownership situation isn't helping anything.

Frustrating, certainly...but I don't have the belief that next season will be any better. Clearly something needs to change at the club to progress forward...but what is actually going to change? We don't seem to have the money to overhaul the squad significantly, or replace Adkins...and currently, there aren't many noises about the ownership situation changing either.

So, while this season has been frustrating and mainly disappointing, if we are in a similar position in the table at this point next season, I will be reasonably, well, not exactly happy, but certainly relieved.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 21 Apr 2014 23:27

The ownership cockup and funding fiasco cannot be overlooked when we review the season and are still playing a large part now. To blame Adkins, if that is what you're suggesting, for not making the playoffs from here would be short sighted.

But yes agree with this sentiment. from now on in, it's basically ours to lose. 3 wins and we're there. If we do, we'll deserve it. If we don't, we won't. Can't be any fairer than that.

If we DO somehow manage to go against the odds and pull of a miracle, we'll be in such good momentum that I can see us winning the playoffs. It's a big if though and my bet would be we come 7th.

JakeTheRoyal

by JakeTheRoyal » 21 Apr 2014 23:46

Wouldn't mind sitting in on the pre match team talk if those players come out and give another unispired performance, theni will start to question if there is a desire to get into the playoffs from anyone but the fans.

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 21 Apr 2014 23:52

Ipswich, Bournemouth and Brighton dropping points is impressive. If they hadn't lost to Millwall the other day I'd have backed Middlesbrough for the play-offs the way it's going.

Blue & White Soup

by Blue & White Soup » 22 Apr 2014 00:58

Rax I totally agree Floyd - we've been terrible of late but it is in our hands now - Adkins must now man up and earn his job.

It is possible, 3 wins and it's job done.

Step up Nigel, this is your destiny calling!

"In our hands now" ? Its been in our hands the past three/four weeks, with teams dropping points, yet we keep failing to take advantage, whats changed that will make us do it now?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Apr 2014 01:10

Unfortunately we're at home against Middlesbrough and with our stunning home record of 2 wins since 3rd December (in 12 attempts) I think it'll take quite some performance turn around to get 3 points.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 22 Apr 2014 02:53

I fully support the Reading 1st team in their battle to avoid qualifying for the play-offs tbh.

I Think it was said best on the "Boro - Turn Your Back Protest" Thread:
Ian Royal
M0J0 I will stay after being outplayed and beaten 3-0 and clap the team from the pitch,
Will I be alone ?

No.

On Tuesday, I too will clap the team off after an embarrassingly pathetic display of football, relieved in the knowledge that at least we will not be suffering such embarrassment on the telly, in front of hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of viewers.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 22 Apr 2014 09:28

No excuses for the fans either, be supportive and loud the entire game.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 22 Apr 2014 09:44

I agree in part. I tend to fight against the overwhelming desire of the football fan to make something not-that-simple a simple thing, and to conveniently put all the blame on the door of one person - often the manager.

I find it hard to blame Adkins for (and in some cases praise him for):

- the form of players like Pog (who had a good part of the season and indeed was mentioned as POTS at one point)
- signing Bridge, who was excellent last season.
- Williams has been a great signing, albeit either injury prone/or unlucky with injuries.
- bringing Obita into the team and giving him a key role
- having the tactical nous away from home to gain some valuable victories
- the markedly different home form (very quickly from 5-1 and 7-1 type scorelines to cannot win at home - not the result of a huge tactical/personnel switch)

I do blame him for:
- Not really stamping a certain style of play on the team and being well drilled
- Not performing beyond par with the squad we have
- Not being tactically excellent (even if he has been good at times)
- stupid statements like 21 clean sheets
- the signing of Drenthe, to a degree

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Apr 2014 09:50

Come on Reading.

Absolutely.

Any player that doesn't put every ounce of themselves into tonight's game should be sacked on the spot. If Adkins sends a team out that isn't sufficiently organised and set up to win a game of football then he should be sacked on the spot. If the stewards try to interfere with attempts to create a decent atmosphere inside the ground then they should be sacked on the spot.

Today's the day gentlemen.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 22 Apr 2014 10:16

After it looked like we'd thrown it away with the Wigan game, it's bizarrely now back in our hands with just three games to go. I agree that there should be no excuse for not finishing 6th, when we're due to play a team with nothing to play for, a team who are probably (but not definitely) safe from relegation, and a team who are already up with their eyes on the beach. This team have been consistent in their inconsistency and it wouldn't surprise me if we go into the Burnley game needing a whole array of results to go our way, but given our position after 43 games, the team will only have themselves to blame if they can't do a job and get 6 points in the next two games. With the form of the teams around us, I reckon 6 points would probably see us over the line, but in the circumstances, we need to be aiming for 9.

No excuses.

JakeTheRoyal

by JakeTheRoyal » 22 Apr 2014 10:22

I dont know Adkins put so much pressure on himself and the team with his stupid statements at the start of the season like 100 goals etc. No one expected to go on and storm the league but what he said just put huge pressure on the club