BFTG Millwall

160 posts
marlowuk

Re: BFTG Millwall

by marlowuk » 17 Sep 2014 02:07

It's all about the three points and we got the three points. Did we deserve them? Probably not. A draw would have been fairer, but - it's all about the three points!!

For the first 25 minutes we looked good and Millwall looked anything but. Their passes were going astray; they were failing to control the ball; there seemed to be little communication between their players. In that time we scored twice - a tenacious goal from the hard-working MOTM, Cox and a cooly taken penalty by Blackman. Thereafter we seemed to relax too much and got sloppy. Suddenly they were looking the more purposeful side and were quicker to the 50-50 balls. Fuller and Onyedinma were linking well and causing us problems with their pace and skill. They were looking the better side and it was no surprise when they scored.

Thankfully we got to half time still one goal to the good and I hoped that the break and a pep talk from NA would see a more determined Reading in the second half. That was the case until Millwall scored again with a header from a cross that Feds came for and missed. If he had stood his ground - who knows - but I guess he would have had a better chance of saving it. Feds had already made some good saves, including a great double save, but that cannot excuse such blunders.

At 2 - 2 we reverted to more hoof-ball and, I thought, normal service has been resumed. During this Obita went down theatrically after a soft challenge. He won nothing and rightly so and it is a pity to see a Reading player resort to such tactics. It is particularly sad as he had a good game today in general. Just when it looked like the game was settling to be a draw Cox forced the ball into the net for the winner from an Obita cross. How many assists does Obita have so far this season?!!

So - a satisfying result but not such a satisfying performance. Murray and Mackie were pretty much invisible after the first 15 minutes or so. Akpan was much better than on Saturday for me. Norwood can certainly spray those long range passes about accurately but he wasn't the dominant presence he was against Fulham. I though NA should have changed things before he did as we were running out of ideas after their equaliser but when they brought on the 6' 5" Ranegie he immediately countered by replacing Blackman with the 6' 4" Cooper which was sensible to see out the final few minutes of the game.

If anyone had offered a place in the play-off positions after seven games with all the injuries we have, I'd have bitten their hand off. That is a remarkable achievement and a credit to NA and the players he has brought in and also to our youngsters who have shown that Reading FC has a great future if we can hang onto them. And, in the end, it's all about the three points!!

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 17 Sep 2014 06:50

marlowuk It's all about the three points

Short term, yes; long term, no. Performances will eventually equate to points.

But full credit to Adkins and the players for our current position.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 17 Sep 2014 07:01

Thoroughly enjoyed the game and good to see both sides pass the ball around the pitch.

Great save by Fed's early doors. We took the game then to Millwall and were well worth our 2-0 lead. Holloway then made a tactical change shutting our supply channels down making it very difficult for us. Millwall continued to battle and were well worth the 2-2 scoreline.

5 minutes to go a near post corner (where did did that come) with a flick on for Cox to score.

Holloway will feel hard done by as a draw would have been a fair result but 3 points is 3 points.

Great team spirit and result.
Last edited by The Real Sandhurst Royal on 17 Sep 2014 07:34, edited 1 time in total.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 17 Sep 2014 07:22

Man Friday

Really, show me the column in the league table where the points are added for performance?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 Sep 2014 07:46

West Stand Man
Man Friday

Really, show me the column in the league table where the points are added for performance?

Dear me.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 17 Sep 2014 07:51

Hector motm yet again, hasn't put a foot wrong since he came into the side.

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 17 Sep 2014 07:57

You see what you want to see.

Jano

by Jano » 17 Sep 2014 07:58

Well, we were lucky to get away with that one. Looked good for the first twenty minutes, looked awful for the next 70. Very very poor defensively highlighted by Gunter being turned inside and out all night long. On the plus side it does make for some interesting games this season as we can, in patches, look very good going forward. I have to start by saying I didn't see Saturday's game so it seems to me that result and the performances that went with it seem to me very much down to the quality of opponent and the sending off.

I expected to see something more from Norwood, who does look like he can pick a pass and does move the ball around quickly, but seemed very much on a periphery of the game last night, I actually thought Akpan looked the more comfortable of the two. I also expected more from Murray, and although it was nice to see us winning a couple of the crosses, he didn't hold up the ball any better than Pog for me. For a big guy (not actually sure he's bigger than Pog!) he seemed to get bossed by their centre backs for most of the evening, although he does stay on his feet which is a bonus I guess. Blackman did ok, nice run for the goal and well taken penalty but didn't seem to get involved too much after. Wasn't as much of a willing runner as Taylor is. Mackie clearly pulled up early in the second half so I'm guessing he picked up a strain of some sort, but also didn't get involved enough for me. Cox was undoubtedly the star of the evening and Federici pulled off a few great saves and then ruined it by flapping about like Dumbo for their second goal.

We were very fortunate that Millwall were actually worse in defence than we were.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 Sep 2014 08:06

Jano Well, we were lucky to get away with that one. Looked good for the first twenty minutes, looked awful for the next 70. Very very poor defensively highlighted by Gunter being turned inside and out all night long. On the plus side it does make for some interesting games this season as we can, in patches, look very good going forward. I have to start by saying I didn't see Saturday's game so it seems to me that result and the performances that went with it seem to me very much down to the quality of opponent and the sending off.

I expected to see something more from Norwood, who does look like he can pick a pass and does move the ball around quickly, but seemed very much on a periphery of the game last night, I actually thought Akpan looked the more comfortable of the two. I also expected more from Murray, and although it was nice to see us winning a couple of the crosses, he didn't hold up the ball any better than Pog for me. For a big guy (not actually sure he's bigger than Pog!) he seemed to get bossed by their centre backs for most of the evening, although he does stay on his feet which is a bonus I guess. Blackman did ok, nice run for the goal and well taken penalty but didn't seem to get involved too much after. Wasn't as much of a willing runner as Taylor is. Mackie clearly pulled up early in the second half so I'm guessing he picked up a strain of some sort, but also didn't get involved enough for me. Cox was undoubtedly the star of the evening and Federici pulled off a few great saves and then ruined it by flapping about like Dumbo for their second goal.

We were very fortunate that Millwall were actually worse in defence than we were.

Spot on. I spent most of the game after 20 minutes thinking we were throwing it away. Too many hoofed balls to Murray and a lack of composure with the ball. Gunter looks like he's going backwards. But we can score goals.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 17 Sep 2014 08:33

I think people are forgetting Millwall are a decent side, by no means prolific but I feel they could be one of the teams who make up the playoffs.

As for us, I fancy us to do something. Get Williams or Karacan back (or put in Kuhl again) where Akpan is and we could be onto a winner. McCleary coming back would be a godsend. Norwood is better than Guthrie in every department.

A good team doesn't win when playing well, they win when playing substandard/poorly

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 17 Sep 2014 08:33

Simon's Church Hector motm yet again, hasn't put a foot wrong since he came into the side.

At the risk of biting, WTF?

Thought Hector was poor today but in his defence he had a wily opponent in Fuller who has been around the block and is still a decent player. Needless free kick led to their 2nd goal and got caught out of position on a couple of occasions.

I like the lad a lot and this was part of his learning curve to make him a top player.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 17 Sep 2014 08:37

leon Gunter looks like he's going backwards. But we can score goals.

Gunter is back to his Premier League form at the moment. Their long diagonal ball tactic deliberately targeted Fuller against Hector, and then Gunter getting repeatedly beaten to the flick on by their No 20. Pearce didn't give Hector much support either.

Another decent outing for Akpan except his comedy control mid way through the second half. And Federici the Vampire has returned marring an otherwise strong performance from him.

Good game though and Norwood will have to get used to not having so much time on the ball. It happened last season with Guthrie.

Cox - MotM

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 17 Sep 2014 08:40

Can Reading finish 2nd? I think Nottingham Forest will be champs and Reading finish 2nd.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 17 Sep 2014 08:45

Stuka Can Reading finish 2nd? I think Nottingham Forest will be champs and Reading finish 2nd.

Hmmm. Think Forest won't last the pace - at the moment it's hard to see past Norwich as champions.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 17 Sep 2014 08:59

I think Forest have been made out to be better than they are because they came up against our young, injury striken side, so were made to look a cut above the rest.

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 17 Sep 2014 09:07

Reading4eva I think people are forgetting Millwall are a decent side, by no means prolific but I feel they could be one of the teams who make up the playoffs.

As for us, I fancy us to do something. Get Williams or Karacan back (or put in Kuhl again) where Akpan is and we could be onto a winner. McCleary coming back would be a godsend. Norwood is better than Guthrie in every department.

A good team doesn't win when playing well, they win when playing substandard/poorly

Agree with all of this.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 17 Sep 2014 09:13

Except of course, a good team wins when playing badly AND when playing well :roll:

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 17 Sep 2014 09:16

Who Moved The Goalposts?
Stuka Can Reading finish 2nd? I think Nottingham Forest will be champs and Reading finish 2nd.

Hmmm. Think Forest won't last the pace - at the moment it's hard to see past Norwich as champions.

This.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 17 Sep 2014 09:17

Big Ern Things are looking 1000 times better than they were this time 12 months ago and credit is due to Adkins for sticking with it as he is now starting to put a half decent team together.

100% agree. First game of the season for me, and for the first half hour at least we looked like a very good football team.

Something that characterised us much of last season, and often under McDermott, was that our formation was too flat, nothing 'between the lines'. I was a supporter of Guthrie but can see that he contributed to that. Norwood looks a terrfic footballer in the middle, and I thought Akpan showed some glimpses of brilliance too - he's only young and I think will develop into a great midfielder at this level. Together with the wingers our midfield had a good shape, with Cox dropping off Murray, we were pacy and fluid going forward.

Cox was brilliant in the first half - haven't seen a Reading player chase down every ball like that in a long time.

Also refreshing to see a Reading team with a physical presence - we've had a small side for a long time. Murray, Hector, Akpan is a big, strong spine to the team. Pog can learn a hell of a lot from the way Murray uses his size and strength.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 17 Sep 2014 09:29

We played better football than Millwall but a draw would have been fair. We are making some real progress, I like how we still tried to play out from the back and didn't panic at 2-2, patience paid off and we got the winner. We do have a soft centre though..

Bad game for Murray, messed up his chances, barely won a header & wasn't holding the ball up. Mackie offers nothing..

Feds- 7
Gunter-6
Obita-6
Hector- 6
Pearce-7
Norwood-7
Akpan-6
Mackie-5
Cox-9
Blackman-8
Murray-5

160 posts