Adkins - Pros and Cons

847 posts
tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Adkins - Pros and Cons

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Sep 2014 14:57

I'd support Reading even if we got beat every week.

Hang on we already did that 2 seasons ago.

liamobey

by liamobey » 29 Sep 2014 15:09

windermere_royal
liamobey Pros - Him being in charge means I've decided to suspend my support for the team which means i don't have to attend the Madejski Stadium every week. However, I did go to the Millwall game but could barely muster the effort to get out of my chair when we scored.

Cons- Because of the above I have lost interest so much that I didn't even watch the game on the tele yesterday. I couldn't even tell you who scored. This means I have nothing to talk about with my grandad and it's all Atkins fault.

Don`t slam the door on the way out. what an immature bellend :shock:

Surely it's more logical to suspend attending an activity that you no longer enjoy. Don't see what's immature about it? I'm assuming you're a fully grown man that sings "Nigel Adkins BARMY ARMY" toward a group of players who have no idea you exist, yet you choose to revel in their achievements or struggles even though they have no direct affiliation to your own? Sounds well mature.
Last edited by liamobey on 29 Sep 2014 15:15, edited 2 times in total.

liamobey

by liamobey » 29 Sep 2014 15:11

Royalwaster
liamobey Pros - Him being in charge means I've decided to suspend my support for the team which means i don't have to attend the Madejski Stadium every week. However, I did go to the Millwall game but could barely muster the effort to get out of my chair when we scored.

Cons- Because of the above I have lost interest so much that I didn't even watch the game on the tele yesterday. I couldn't even tell you who scored. This means I have nothing to talk about with my grandad and it's all Atkins fault.

PROS - idiots like you stop supporting Reading and support Chelsea instead ...
PS: who is Atkins?

Thought it was spelt with a T.....As i mentioned, i'm not really an Adkins guy.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Sep 2014 15:14

I'm with Liam on this. What is idiotic or immature about losing interest? If the passion has gone, it's gone. Expecting him to fake orgasm for your benefit seems more idiotic to me.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Sep 2014 15:30

Extended-Phenotype I'm with Liam on this. What is idiotic or immature about losing interest? If the passion has gone, it's gone. Expecting him to fake orgasm for your benefit seems more idiotic to me.

The fact he views not having to attend matches as a positive is pretty stupid if you consider yourself a fan of a club.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Sep 2014 15:35

Not having to go to games is a pro if you have fallen out of love with it, surely?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 29 Sep 2014 15:53

To take this down another pointless tangent, I think the strange bit about liam's post is that he cites Adkins as the reason he has lost interest in it, as if the man is wholly responsible for everything that occurs at the club, and that all of those things are negative.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 29 Sep 2014 15:54

Pardew built the southampton one?!

Well he had Lambert, Fonte, Lallana and Schneiderlin and took them to 14th in League 1 so does that count as building a team to compete in the Premierleague?

Adkins played just a minor role in getting the best out of those 4, bringing through the other players and achieving successive promotions?

Pardew had the star players but any manager can have them - Adkins built the team and the style!

For me

Pros :
Calm during the financial storm, Likes to play along the ground, picks sensible and consistent* starting 11s, gives youth a chance but is sensible in sparing them (unlike Brendan!), good transfer policy (Murray and Norwood).

Cons:
Didn't rate Le Fondre, isn't Brian McDermott. Merseyside accent. And "its fair to say" media interviews (praising *"Good consistency of selection" is hilarious when it is up to him!)

Not sure the cons are that relevant!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Sep 2014 15:58

Extended-Phenotype I'm with Liam on this. What is idiotic or immature about losing interest? If the passion has gone, it's gone. Expecting him to fake orgasm for your benefit seems more idiotic to me.

Nothing immature about it imo. However, don't know why he and others feel the need to advertise their non attendance to the whole world rather than just not attend and get on with it.

I tell a lie I do know why it is, it's so they can present themselves as some sort of superior intellect and giggle like school children to their little clique on AE.

Zana Badawi

by Zana Badawi » 29 Sep 2014 16:01

Extended-Phenotype [......]

I think what we have are two people who go to a game with a different mindset. I make no disguise of the fact that I haven't rated Adkins tenure here - whereas Im assuming you think different. What Im trying to demonstrate is that taking an anti-Adkins view requires a lot more thought than "ramble, ramble, "morons" or "tossers" or whatever". I appreciate that you haven't been name calling, but I found your post one of the few that was remotely answerable.

What I will disagree with is that NA hasn't had the opportunity to work on the back four. Ive deliberately not mentioned Hector at all, because he didn't play very well, and Im not sure he's worth any criticism at this point in his career. But there is no way Pearce should be leading him, and there is no way we should have so few defensive options on the bench. As it happens, we made five signings in the last window, and spent last year chasing Billy Sharp for some reason. So opportunities HAVE existed and what we have done at the back is played Gorkss, found out he'd lost it and released him, sold Morrison and got a defender in that we've seen absolutely nothing off. Of course we're weaker defensively. Im also not massively impressed that our manager has been playing our left back in midfield (just as he was getting good) whilst a succession of right backs have been taking his place in the first XI and then decided he was a left back after all.

Ive no doubt AZ made promises to NA that he didn't keep; but also NA cant have been blind to the state of he club when he accepted the contract. He knew this wasn't an easy job and that he would have to be proactive. There is absolutely no way that we are financially comparable to Portsmouth for instance (see Schards' post for that piece of hyperbole). There HAVE been opportunities. Not many, but I sometimes think how messy this season could have been if Kuhl and Dolan hadn't given him a Get Out Of Jail Free card.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 29 Sep 2014 16:05

Extended-Phenotype Not having to go to games is a pro if you have fallen out of love with it, surely?

For me it would all be a big negative, last season was very much that for me, the football had gotten so bad I couldn't be arsed to go to matches anymore and I'd wager it reflected the general fanbase when attendances dropped off last season.

However I'd say most of those who stopped attending hated the fact that the football had gotten so bad they didn't want to attend and given an upturn in performance many would start attending again at the drop of a hat.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 29 Sep 2014 16:36

Zana Badawi Ive no doubt AZ made promises to NA that he didn't keep; but also NA cant have been blind to the state of he club when he accepted the contract..

You seriously believe that if NA had even the slightest inkling of what may have been coming that he'd have even considered taking the job? :shock:

He could have walked into just about any other Championship job at the time. There was talk of Leicester bumping off Pearson to bring Adkins in. His stock was exceptionally high after being very harshly sacked by Southampton. He didn't need the job, in fact if anything it cost him money by making his legal case against Southampton harder.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Sep 2014 18:23

Extended-Phenotype Not having to go to games is a pro if you have fallen out of love with it, surely?

If they've fallen out of love with it, maybe they shouldn't just stop going, but stop following the club and posting about it too.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 29 Sep 2014 19:51

Z175
Pros :
Calm during the financial storm

This ^

Adkins has been there 18 months during which time (at least) 2 players were signed behind his back (Bridge & Drenthe), then a few weeks after that the owner oxf*rd off never to be seen again. No money in January, near financial collapse in June - not sure how much that forced his hand on Jobi, Ledge, etc. Alfie was a tax bill, Morrison was too good an offer to refuse.

Only now has he been able to start bringing in the players he wants so he needs to be given time to mold them - so far those signings look very good.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Sep 2014 20:14

And he did it all for free... Oh wait, no he didn't.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 29 Sep 2014 21:03

Schards#2 Adkins is a...helm throughout.

Couldn't agree more. NAIL ON HEAD.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 29 Sep 2014 21:24

urz13 Cons:
- forced Kebe out
- overly positive ie after derby he talked about how gr8 it was to see Guthrie get some playing time instead of losing 2-0
- pats his subs on the bum - possible homo
- has an infuriating style of clapping
- hoofball
- no improvements in the past year and a half
- horrific defensively
- has a hairstyle of a 10 year old
- never answers the real questions in interviews
- he's not Brian
- injury record
- appears to have memory issues or is the slowest learner ever
- abysmal record at coming from behind (probably not cumming from behind though)
- terrible record for us including games like the Barnsley H and Huddersfield H ones
- described Blackmans performance today as 'outstanding'
- talks absolute crap

Pro's & Con's:
- uses young players (becuase of our injury record under him)
- he's not Brian
- hates Drenthe (didn't use him properly)
- we beat his saints team 3-1 (he lost 1-3 at home to reading)

Pro's:
- random good performances
- good record previous to us
- he's not Brian
- he won't be here this time next year

He`s not Brian, you are seriously sad, is 13 your actual age?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 29 Sep 2014 22:06

Lacoste
Libertine Yeah that would be awful. The manager who bought Sidwell, Harper, Shorey, Little (on loan), Marcus etc.....initially the likes of Butler, Cureton, Watson, Mackie, Solako and Picked up Lambert for £1m from league 1 and many other great signings. The manager who knows how to get out of this league and build successful sides that perform well even after promotion.

Would Sir John put his hand in his pocket to pay for today's inflated prices? Butler was £750k.......... What price a striker like now.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Sep 2014 22:14

Lower West
Lacoste
Libertine Yeah that would be awful. The manager who bought Sidwell, Harper, Shorey, Little (on loan), Marcus etc.....initially the likes of Butler, Cureton, Watson, Mackie, Solako and Picked up Lambert for £1m from league 1 and many other great signings. The manager who knows how to get out of this league and build successful sides that perform well even after promotion.

Would Sir John put his hand in his pocket to pay for today's inflated prices? Butler was £750k.......... What price a striker like now.

What, a striker to get us out of League One? Not sure we need one.

gimmer

Adkins - what do we think?

by gimmer » 01 Oct 2014 23:57

I'm new on here but I know it's a question that every Reading fan is thinking.

Is Adkins doing a good job???

847 posts