Adkins - Pros and Cons

847 posts
HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Adkins - Pros and Cons

by HoneyRoastHoax » 03 Nov 2014 15:52

P!ssed Off
HoneyRoastHoax
gazzer, loyal royal personally i think he should go. just a load of individual performances that are letting us down.

The team is performing as best as it can.

He is making changes to suit the opposition as he said against Blackburn if he had of gone for out and out wingers they would have had a field day through the middle.

As fans we only really pay attention to our squad, Nigel looks at the opposition and adjusts our strengths to meet their weaknesses.

I think the man has showed some loyalty to us over the past year and its a shame some of you lot can't extend that to him now.

Do you really think a different manager is going to stop Gunter making ridiculous costly decisions? Do you think a new gaffer is going to get HRK into some free scoring superstar? Do you not think he is actually making people like Hope and Nick play probably to as best as they can?

Perhaps a different manager might tell Blackman to pass the oxf*rd ball and stop going for a glory with a dribble or a shot every time.
Wastes so many opportunities.
Remove his 2 penalties from the equation and you've a shooting record of 27 shots, 1 goal.
997 minutes of league football and he's made 7 'Key passes'. (Key pass = a pass/cross that results in a shot)
The much derided HRK has made 7 'key passes' in only 368 minutes.
Meanwhile Blackman's attempted 44 dribbles. 44! That's 20 more than the next highest total.
24 of these attempts have resulted in the other team taking possession. And how much success have the 20 'successful' dribbles brought us? 2 penalties and numerous off target shots is not a great return.

Don't get angry at the fiesta for not being the ferrari.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 03 Nov 2014 16:51

HoneyRoastHoax
gazzer, loyal royal personally i think he should go. just a load of individual performances that are letting us down.

I firmly believe this is complacent bollocks - and bollocks that I suspect even Adkins doesn't believe.

The major issue I have with Adkins is that his coaching just doesn't appear to be up to the job. Far too many players are out of form and have gone backwards under his reign:
HRK
Pearce
Feds
Gunter
Even Murray doesn't look the same player as he was in his first game for us and Obita is not at the same standard as last season.

Adkins was hired to change the playing style and he seems to have given up trying to do that with us now playing a much more direct style (which I have no problem with - certainly compared to the sterile, one-paced stuff we offer when we try to play a more passing style) but doing it badly as the wide men show no interest in tracking back when they lose the ball. Again, I'm putting this down to coaching or a lack of clear instructions.

As for many, it's the lack of progress that's so disheartening about his leadership. This squad is capable of better. Much better.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Nov 2014 17:06

Federici gone backwards?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Nov 2014 17:12

Royal Rother Federici gone backwards?

If he's standing behind the goal line to start with it might explain why he's conceding so many goals. Problem solved. Feds, just start two steps forward.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Nov 2014 23:20

wingnut
HoneyRoastHoax

I firmly believe this is complacent bollocks - and bollocks that I suspect even Adkins doesn't believe.

The major issue I have with Adkins is that his coaching just doesn't appear to be up to the job. Far too many players are out of form and have gone backwards under his reign:
HRK
Pearce
Feds
Gunter
Even Murray doesn't look the same player as he was in his first game for us and Obita is not at the same standard as last season.

Adkins was hired to change the playing style and he seems to have given up trying to do that with us now playing a much more direct style (which I have no problem with - certainly compared to the sterile, one-paced stuff we offer when we try to play a more passing style) but doing it badly as the wide men show no interest in tracking back when they lose the ball. Again, I'm putting this down to coaching or a lack of clear instructions.

As for many, it's the lack of progress that's so disheartening about his leadership. This squad is capable of better. Much better.

Again a sensible post. It will be able interesting to see how Williams fits back into midfield and whether Adkins shows the necessary leadership to make hard decisions on the defence. He should drop Gunter if only to spare the boy any more torment.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Nov 2014 23:59

Sorry, how has Federici gone backwards under Adkins?

This is the Federici who was terrible in the Premier League under McDermott and has been his usual (non-title year) self under Adkins.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 04 Nov 2014 09:09

leon He should drop Gunter if only to spare the boy any more torment.

Completely agree with you but play who in his place?

Same with the midfield really, we're relying a lot of Hope and he shouldn't have that weight on his shoulders

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 04 Nov 2014 09:53

Ian Royal Sorry, how has Federici gone backwards under Adkins?

This is the Federici who was terrible in the Premier League under McDermott and has been his usual (non-title year) self under Adkins.

So you agree that Adkins hasn't been able to get Feds back his title-winning standard?

Zana Badawi

by Zana Badawi » 04 Nov 2014 10:05

HoneyRoastHoax
leon He should drop Gunter if only to spare the boy any more torment.

Completely agree with you but play who in his place?

Same with the midfield really, we're relying a lot of Hope and he shouldn't have that weight on his shoulders

It would have to be Pearce. Rate him or not (and I don't particularly), he's a 40 game a season centre back who we don't look to be replacing anytime soon. Plus, he'd rather enjoy kissing the badge and being a mouthy omnipresent; whereas Gunter doesn't have the confidence to pull it off. We cant guarantee a full season from any of the midfield, and the strikers consist of footballers who either aren't ours or have something to prove. Ironically, our Goalkeeper is the best candidate for team captain, but you would always prefer an outfield player. I would make Feds the club captain, however. Its been a long time since his Mrs called Reading a joke, and he's proved himself since. (Im impressed he's come back after a year as the Number 2).

Of course, we should buy in a captain (preferably also a defender). If, in the next window we made one good purchase, rather than 5 average ones, I believe that could improve the team significantly.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 04 Nov 2014 10:06

HoneyRoastHoax I think the man has showed some loyalty to us over the past year...

Stupid statement without any evidence/justification.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 04 Nov 2014 10:08

HoneyRoastHoax Nigel looks at the opposition and adjusts our strengths to meet their weaknesses.

Maybe, maybe not. But either way, it's not working. That's all that matters.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 04 Nov 2014 10:14

Man Friday
HoneyRoastHoax Nigel looks at the opposition and adjusts our strengths to meet their weaknesses.

Maybe, maybe not. But either way, it's not working. That's all that matters.

ha, ok.

You have to remember that the team is only capable so far, adjust your expectations.

Our team (fit players) are worth pretty much exactly the spot we have in the league. It's not rocket science and certainly not worth knee jerk actions.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 04 Nov 2014 10:15

Man Friday
HoneyRoastHoax I think the man has showed some loyalty to us over the past year...

He could have left and we would have had to have pay out his contract more than likely putting us into administration :roll:

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 04 Nov 2014 10:54

HoneyRoastHoax
Man Friday

He could have left and we would have had to have pay out his contract more than likely putting us into administration :roll:

Why would we have to pay out his contract if he chose to leave?

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 04 Nov 2014 10:56

HoneyRoastHoax
Man Friday

Of course, if he chooses to leave, or another club picks him up, we don't have to pay him a penny though.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 04 Nov 2014 11:03

Maguire Why would we have to pay out his contract if he chose to leave?

Because I'm sure in his contract will be certain promises by the club which could be easily construed as broken terms

Anyway he showed loyalty by remaining professional throughout and never moaning.

I just think its wrong that people are so quick to leap on him now.

Our teams value corresponds to our league position. Some of the more sensible posters predicted this at the start of the season and we're matching that.

The team needs strengthening, Judging on the people NA has bought in I'm happy for him to do that

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 04 Nov 2014 11:08

I just don't agree with you on so many points but it's not worth me debating anymore. You're entitled to your viewpoint which you make calmly and politely. I just see things quite differently.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 04 Nov 2014 12:07

All things considered, Adkins is doing a reasonable job IMO. If we're bottom 4 or 5 at the end of Jan then there will be alarm bells sounding.

You've only got to look at what happens when a slightly leftfield choice of manager is appointed, Wolves, Brighton, Wigan, Fulham, Cardiff in particular have been caught out doing this. Adkins was a sensible choice at the time and remains so for me currently.

Fumbling a team through club unrest is difficult, throw in the injuries and the poor stunt of selling Morrison to leave a big void in a vital position and we're about where we could expect to be. It's not a comfortable or pleasing season so far but there are worse teams than Reading in this league to be following.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 04 Nov 2014 12:27

HoneyRoastHoax

Because I'm sure in his contract will be certain promises by the club which could be easily construed as broken terms

And I'm equally as sure his contract does not contain any "promises".

This said, I will give him credit in the sense that he's not made public comments about the ownership situation so fair due for that.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 04 Nov 2014 12:40

Maguire
HoneyRoastHoax

And I'm equally as sure his contract does not contain any "promises".

This said, I will give him credit in the sense that he's not made public comments about the ownership situation so fair due for that.

A contract is a promise. It is a number of terms that one person offers to another. If you don't fulfill any of those terms you have broken your promise.

847 posts