Adkins - Pros and Cons

847 posts
Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Adkins - Pros and Cons

by Maguire » 04 Nov 2014 12:53

Which "promise" are you certain is written into his contract that has not been fulfilled? And where this lack of fulfillment would allow Adkins to walk away with the full contract term being paid to him?

He's not staying at RFC out of loyalty when he could just walk away, he's staying because it's a job and it pays him very well.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 04 Nov 2014 12:57

Maguire Which "promise" are you certain is written into his contract that has not been fulfilled? And where this lack of fulfillment would allow Adkins to walk away with the full contract term being paid to him?

He's not staying at RFC out of loyalty when he could just walk away, he's staying because it's a job and it pays him very well.

You don't think a professional manager's agent isn't capable of putting in various clauses to ensure the best deal for his client?

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 04 Nov 2014 12:58

Here's a thing - why doesn't he play a set base formation with available and in form players as a square peg square hole first choice? I'm a firm believer that you impose your own game on your opposition with a few notable exceptions. You have a starting point where everybody knows the basic role within a set system and adjust the dynamic to suit accordingly either pre-match or as events unfold. So, (to use the recent example) if you're playing away and you know your opposition plays a narrow 4-4-2, and your base formation is 4-4-2, you simply tuck your first choice, in form wingers in and tell them to play narrow when we don't have the ball and then hit them with our width when we regain possession.

In addition, not only does chopping and changing formations and personnel leave players potentially unsure of exactly what they're doing (funny how exactly the same results occurred when Rodgers was in charge), but it also sends a message to opposition clubs that we're responding to them, seemingly in fear of what their strengths are. Seems to me that what we're doing at the moment is to the complete detriment of any semblance of form, balance, consistency and most importantly our own strengths, in favour of stopping the opposition playing.

Or, in other words, the reciprocal of Nigel Adkins is Steve Coppell. I know which manager I'd prefer...

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Nov 2014 13:25

HoneyRoastHoax
Maguire Which "promise" are you certain is written into his contract that has not been fulfilled? And where this lack of fulfillment would allow Adkins to walk away with the full contract term being paid to him?

You don't think a professional manager's agent isn't capable of putting in various clauses to ensure the best deal for his client?

Do you think there's a clause in his contract that says the club won't sign Royston Drenthe? Or will allow him as much money as he wants for new players? Or that Anton won't just disappear and the money won't run out?

i'm sure his agent will have inserted clauses with extra payments based on the team's performance, but Nigel doesn't seem to want them to pay out just at the moment

El Diablo

by El Diablo » 04 Nov 2014 13:48

handbags_harris Here's a thing - why doesn't he play a set base formation with available and in form players as a square peg square hole first choice? I'm a firm believer that you impose your own game on your opposition with a few notable exceptions. You have a starting point where everybody knows the basic role within a set system and adjust the dynamic to suit accordingly either pre-match or as events unfold. So, (to use the recent example) if you're playing away and you know your opposition plays a narrow 4-4-2, and your base formation is 4-4-2, you simply tuck your first choice, in form wingers in and tell them to play narrow when we don't have the ball and then hit them with our width when we regain possession.

In addition, not only does chopping and changing formations and personnel leave players potentially unsure of exactly what they're doing (funny how exactly the same results occurred when Rodgers was in charge), but it also sends a message to opposition clubs that we're responding to them, seemingly in fear of what their strengths are. Seems to me that what we're doing at the moment is to the complete detriment of any semblance of form, balance, consistency and most importantly our own strengths, in favour of stopping the opposition playing.

Or, in other words, the reciprocal of Nigel Adkins is Steve Coppell. I know which manager I'd prefer...

Good post that ^

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 04 Nov 2014 14:01

HoneyRoastHoax

I'll ask again - which clause are you sure has been broken?

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 04 Nov 2014 14:07

Maguire I'll ask again - which clause are you sure has been broken?

The sanity clause?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 04 Nov 2014 14:18

handbags_harris Here's a thing - why doesn't he play a set base formation with available and in form players as a square peg square hole first choice?

We seem to play 4-2-3-1 cum 4-2-4 every week, and eight or nine of those players are assured of selection.

I think the reason we haven't seen a more settled side is that, with McCleary out, our two "first choice" wingers - Mackie and HRK -are struggling for form as they recover their fitness. Blackman and Taylor are performing better, but aren't capable of the same highs and ultimately aren't who we want. The "Team For The Next Match" threads of late have swung just as wildly as Adkins on which wingers should be selected.

That doesn't explain dropping Cox, of course.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 04 Nov 2014 14:18

The santa clause?

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 04 Nov 2014 15:03

Maguire
HoneyRoastHoax

I'll ask again - which clause are you sure has been broken?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Nov 2014 15:04

Pepe the Horseman The santa clause?

Film review thread :arrow: :?:

5/10 FWIW

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 04 Nov 2014 15:23

Maguire I'll ask again - which clause are you sure has been broken?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Nov 2014 16:50

wingnut
Ian Royal Sorry, how has Federici gone backwards under Adkins?

This is the Federici who was terrible in the Premier League under McDermott and has been his usual (non-title year) self under Adkins.

So you agree that Adkins hasn't been able to get Feds back his title-winning standard?

I agree Federici hasn't matched the sinhle best season of his life. But I go further and say he's improved on his poor performance in McDermott's last season.

Nice try though. C+

poohs pure

Adkins, Completely Useless, Naive Tactically

by poohs pure » 08 Nov 2014 19:59

Anyone else agree?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Adkins, Completely Useless, Naive Tactically

by sandman » 08 Nov 2014 20:01

Yeah, he's shit. Do we really need another thread on it?

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 08 Nov 2014 20:09

I'm not sure what else he could do today, Cox played well and was unlucky to be swapped for HRK. The tactical switch putting Obita at left back and Kelly off is a decent attacking call. Mackie for Pog at the end was worth a try.

So what is your point except we're not Chelsea?

Dixeyroyal

by Dixeyroyal » 08 Nov 2014 20:46

Absolutely agree, it's time for Adkins to go and time for the "what else can he do, i love Adkins" do gooders to start seeing sense, instead of defending everything the man does.

Tactics..... F*****G useless - made a poor defensive Charlton team look good, even Bikey FFS
Team selection - Lets play Obita where he wants to play rather than where he is most effective and helps the team more - the Manager has no balls
Team selection 2 - lets continue to pick a man at left back, because he was shit at right back (and captain FFS) who continues to prove that he cant defend, cant go forward and cant pass, have i missed anything?
When we are desperate for an inspired substitution, lets bring on the man who has been Reading's worst player this season and continues to take £10K+ per week out of the club without any return (unless he has a Wales shirt on and then he bothers to play)
Lets forget the loan window and continue to play "2mph" Pearce alongside "oops i forget where my man was" Hector. Don't anyone dare say that the players are not out there, every other club continue to loan players whilst we state the usual "we are trying" bullshit

The fact is that Adkins has had plenty of time now to make his mark and he is not even half way to convincing anyone that he knows what he is doing....... F**K off Adkins, let's get a proper Manager in and not a rose tinted glasses idiot!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Nov 2014 20:47

PieEater I'm not sure what else he could do today, Cox played well and was unlucky to be swapped for HRK. The tactical switch putting Obita at left back and Kelly off is a decent attacking call. Mackie for Pog at the end was worth a try.

So what is your point except we're not Chelsea?

Sad thing is under his management we don't feel like Reading either

Whatevs

by Whatevs » 08 Nov 2014 21:05

who do we feel like Sandman?

Dixeyroyal

by Dixeyroyal » 08 Nov 2014 21:17

Whatevs who do we feel like Sandman?

Another thread about Adkins is great, gives everyone a chance to say..................

**** OFF ADKINS, TAKE (I CANT DEFEND OR PASS OR EVEN PLAY) GUNTER, (2MPH IS AS FAST AS I GET) PEARCE, (I HAVE AN ATTITUDE EVEN THOUGH I'M NOT VERY GOOD) BLACKMAN, (I ONLY MAKE AN EFFORT FOR WALES) ROBSON KANU WITH YOU, AND DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOUR OVER ULTRA POSITIVE ARSE ON THE WAY OUT................. BYE BYE

847 posts