BFTG Charlton

157 posts
semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

Re: BFTG Charlton

by semtex1871 » 08 Nov 2014 19:39

winchester_royal I have to say I'm surprised at the extent of the negativity on here. We were a little toothless, didn't play with enough tempo for most of the second half, and lacked ideas in the final third - but in many areas we played pretty well I thought. The Williams/Norwood combo is a very effective one, and they bossed pretty much all of the game. Consistently getting the ball out wide accurately and quickly. The problem then though was that neither of our wingers could do anything with it. A problem that hopefully McCleary's return and the transfer window should solve. Murray was excellent outside of the box, holding it up well and linking the play - just frustrating he didn't spend more time in the box trying to get on the end of one of the very many crosses.

Charlton had one chance in the first half, scored, and then played some very negative football. We should have done more to counter that, and you could definitely argue that Blackman's introduction should have come 20 minutes earlier, but no need for the Adkins Out cries just yet.

+1 to this.

all the little bitchs are throwing their toys out of their prams because things aren't going their way :lol:

why can't you be happy with the mid table finish that we're heading for while the club gains some stability and builds for next season :roll:

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 08 Nov 2014 19:42

MmmMonsterMunch If we can't beat bottom third oppo at home then sorry we're relegation fodder.

That's about the only thing we can do tbf.

Our record against bottom third oppo at home:
Pl 4, W4. Scored 12, Conceded 2

Our record against non "bottom third oppo at home":
Pl 13, W2, D3, L8. Scored 10, Conceded 25.

If we hadn't won our games against 'bottom third oppo at home' we certainly would be relegation fodder.
The only thing keeping Nigel in the job is that no matter how stupid his tactics, team selection and substitutions are, we can't possibly be as bad as the likes of Blackpool, Birmingham, Rotherham, Bolton, Millwall etc.

It seems almost inevitable that we'll plod along on current form for the rest of the season, comfortably beating all the shit teams at home, and failing miserably against anyone half decent.
Come the end of the season the pro-Adkins brigade will tell us that Nige deserves "one more transfer window to put things right", and off we go again.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 08 Nov 2014 19:54

Some absolute quality toys-out-of-the-pram action on this thread :lol:

We didn't play badly, Charlton played well and did a job on us. A well organised away performance.

Hector was much better - he may well make it after all.

Glory Boy

by Glory Boy » 08 Nov 2014 19:56

P!ssed Off
MmmMonsterMunch If we can't beat bottom third oppo at home then sorry we're relegation fodder.

If we hadn't won our games against 'bottom third oppo at home' we certainly would be relegation fodder.
The only thing keeping Nigel in the job is that no matter how stupid his tactics, team selection and substitutions are, we can't possibly be as bad as the likes of Blackpool, Birmingham, Rotherham, Bolton, Millwall etc.

Some people are tipping Notlob to reach the Play-offs.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 08 Nov 2014 20:03

PieEater
sandman Can Chris Gunter actually cut out a cross?

^this.

Both the goal and Charltons only other chance came from Gunter's inability to cut out a cross.

But the main was Pearce been drawn towards the ball and leaving his man unmarked, he didn't even move into space Pearce just moved away from him.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 08 Nov 2014 20:04

Poor game
Poor performance
Charlton where there for the taking and our failure to beat a very average team showed ho crap we are

I suppose the only positive was that we didn't concede three

Adkins PER.....LEASE get out of my club. You are absolutely hopeless

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 08 Nov 2014 20:05

I don't see any evidence of the players not playing for the manager, just frustration against coming up against a well drilled side who nicked a win.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular

by peterroyal76 » 08 Nov 2014 20:08

Don't mind losing however it's f'ing boring at the moment.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 08 Nov 2014 20:11

I thought we played some decent stuff but just lacked the final ball. In particular it wasn't Murray's day.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Nov 2014 20:13

peterroyal76
PieEater
sandman Can Chris Gunter actually cut out a cross?

^this.

Both the goal and Charltons only other chance came from Gunter's inability to cut out a cross.

But the main was Pearce been drawn towards the ball and leaving his man unmarked, he didn't even move into space Pearce just moved away from him.

Of course he did because Gunter keeps allowing crosses in so the defenders in the box are trying to head the ball out early. The main fault was with Gunter, he is making the same mistake every week and he needs to start getting his act together.

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 08 Nov 2014 20:15

peterroyal76 Don't mind losing however it's f'ing boring at the moment.

I am sure some of Adkins fans would find excitement in watching paint dry.

Get a manager in who will bring some excitement back. its absolutely awful at the mo

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Nov 2014 20:16

Would be nice if Obita could occasionally beat his man......

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular

by peterroyal76 » 08 Nov 2014 20:40

Pearce wouldn't have been able to get near the ball anyway. He left his man and should of stuck with him.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 08 Nov 2014 20:48

Watching Reading nowadays is oxf*rd boring. First home game in ages, but will be my last until Adkins leaves. No pace, no flair, monotonous passing just for the sake of it. A better manager wouldn't sit with 10 in midfield until the dying seconds, a better manager would coach basic defending. A better manager wouldn't have made Gunter captain, let alone play him. No wonder attendances are dipping, no wonder everyone wants Adkins out. Save our club.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 08 Nov 2014 20:55

peterroyal76 Pearce wouldn't have been able to get near the ball anyway. He left his man and should of stuck with him.

Gunter not stopping the the ball in puts everyone out of sync and draws Pearce towards the ball. He makes a decent attempt to cut the cross out and Pearce doesn't get drawn towards the ball.

It's Gunter's fault and I hope that the coaching staff let him know that so he can learn rather than do what you're doing and absolve him of any blame meaning he keeps repeating the mistake.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 08 Nov 2014 20:57

It's all very well all this pedestrian passing but without any urgency, we'll never score a goal - as was shown today - we had few chances considering all the possession. Kudos to cox and Mackie for running their socks off and trying to get into positions to score. For me, only Obita had a poor game - every pass/corner over kicked - what DO the management teach them in training. And why does Adkins sit down for so much of the game lately. When we conceded he remained seated - any other manager would have been up in his feet encouraging his players and re-arranging them - fed up with Mr Adkins Out now. Bring in a young, hungry guy who wants to make a name for himself.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Nov 2014 21:01

Another game of fine margins. We were by far the better team first half but didn't take our chances. Charlton took their one. Second half was a damp squib, but you can't fault the effort. Fed made no mistakes with an excellent double save.

Everything's a little laboured and the wrong decisions are being made too often. But we managed some really quite slick interchange around their box at times and through the middle. We look much better with Williams centrally.

The major difference between this and Rotherham is that Charlton did their homework and doubled up on Mackie who was allowed to go 1v1 with Rotherham far more. Oh and our finishing wasn't there.

I've lost count of the number of times we've hit the woodwork this season, it's getting ridiculous, virtually every game.

Player highlights
Fed - slightly smarter distribution needed, but great double save
Obita, awful delivery, must do better.
Kelly, big improvement on Gunter defensively at right back.

I think I'd rather see Obita back at left back and Taylor on the left tbh. Gunter dropped.

Martin41

by Martin41 » 08 Nov 2014 21:02

Not the worst we have played.........but just not good enough!
Sick and tired of all the crap he comes out with, at least he got in his oohs and ahhs crap!!!
No more people saying we have had this and that injury, young, experienced squad etc rubbish.
This squad should be doing much better than it is.....
I never wanted Adkins and if he goes oh well, but if he has to stay, play with some pride and passion at least.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 08 Nov 2014 21:03

I would welcome Andre Bikey back in a heartbeat. He's not your play-it-sideways-like-a-crab defender that Adkins seems to love. Instead he is a total rock in defence. He organized the Charlton back line, and time after time he made crucial interceptions and clearances. Compare and contrast with our leaky back 4. With head or foot he excelled.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular

by peterroyal76 » 08 Nov 2014 21:05

sandman
peterroyal76 Pearce wouldn't have been able to get near the ball anyway. He left his man and should of stuck with him.

Gunter not stopping the the ball in puts everyone out of sync and draws Pearce towards the ball. He makes a decent attempt to cut the cross out and Pearce doesn't get drawn towards the ball.

It's Gunter's fault and I hope that the coaching staff let him know that so he can learn rather than do what you're doing and absolve him of any blame meaning he keeps repeating the mistake.

Just because Gunter was playing out of position and made a mistake doesn't absolve Pearce of his mistake although I appreciate that doesn't suit your agenda.

157 posts