BFTG Charlton

157 posts
MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

Re: BFTG Charlton

by MmmMonsterMunch » 08 Nov 2014 23:11

Simon's Church I think we're really starting to look like we have the basis of a top team

:shock:
:lol:

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 08 Nov 2014 23:16

Avon Royal
MmmMonsterMunch If you don't like reading my posts then put me on ignore instead of dishing out insults you aggro little tw@t.

Hypocrisy in its purest form is almost beautiful. :lol:

Point taken but every time I post this keyboard warrior gives me grief so he can have some back.

I'm genuinely staggered that people think we are playing well. We have 2 wins in 11 against garbage opposition. We have won 2 games in 20 months when going behind under Adkins yet everyone seems happy to trot out one excuse after the other.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Nov 2014 23:22

Royal Lady
Simon's Church I think we're really starting to look like we have the basis of a top team. Adkins has improved the defence massively over the past few weeks and once he's allowed to bring in a few of his own guys up front for that bit of guile we're currently missing I'm sure we'll start to replicate the success of his Southampton team.

The Southampton team that we finished ahead of with McD as manager? Err yay! :|

Because finishing second and being clear of relegation in the PL would be a disaster. Idiot.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 09 Nov 2014 00:03

super darren caskey Would like to have a manger with some passion in him.Adkins just don't cut it for me and the sooner he goes the better.God knows what he says at halftime.He's probably just sat in the corner reading The Sun

What like Coppell?

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 09 Nov 2014 00:06

Jagermesiter1871
super darren caskey Would like to have a manger with some passion in him.Adkins just don't cut it for me and the sooner he goes the better.God knows what he says at halftime.He's probably just sat in the corner reading The Sun

What like Coppell?

And Brian

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 09 Nov 2014 00:12

Say what you like, but as Charles Watts said, when this team go behind they look beaten. At this level MacDermott's team never looked beaten.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 09 Nov 2014 00:15

Elm Park Old Boy when this team go behind they are beaten

Corrected for you :wink:

Tamworth_Royal
Location: She's got a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils.

by Tamworth_Royal » 09 Nov 2014 00:22

All today needed was a Charlton scout to of watched our last home game and hey presto Adkins repeats the team, tactics and YET again we are found out. Fair play to Charlton normally it's the second half opposition change things around to beat us, but with Adkins the Physio its a predictable defeat without them trying to hard. Wins against useless Blackpool and Rotherham has extended this useless t*at 3 weeks salary. Are the Thai's thick, brainwashed by Madejski or just interested in land?, why oh why is a bloke who got us relegated, failed to get us in the play offs, and has achieved at best mid table still here ??

This club has lost it bigger time than ever :roll:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Nov 2014 00:40

Ian Royal
Royal Lady
Simon's Church I think we're really starting to look like we have the basis of a top team. Adkins has improved the defence massively over the past few weeks and once he's allowed to bring in a few of his own guys up front for that bit of guile we're currently missing I'm sure we'll start to replicate the success of his Southampton team.

The Southampton team that we finished ahead of with McD as manager? Err yay! :|

Because finishing second and being clear of relegation in the PL would be a disaster. Idiot.

I know its Royal Lady but really you are a twat aren't you?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 09 Nov 2014 01:01

tmesis Oddly, up until we got the ball to the edge of their box, I thought it was one of the best displays this season (admittedly with the bar set pretty low). We actually looked to be playing with a bit of belief.

It's just that when we got that far, we blatantly didn't have a clue what to do with it. Yes, we did try a lot of crosses, but we appear to just swing the ball in without any effort to pick individual players out. We also don't really have that many players who are much good at getting on the end of crosses anyway.

In short, our tactics are poor, and we don't have players who really seem capable of fitting together to make a decent team.

Agreed
We looked far more cohesive and fluid than against Rotherham. First thirty minutes I thought the build up play was excellent, but and its a big but, we got nothing from Mackie or Obita. The right back had Jordan in his pocket - maybe a swap to the right side would have been worth a try?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 09 Nov 2014 01:13

bcubed
tmesis Oddly, up until we got the ball to the edge of their box, I thought it was one of the best displays this season (admittedly with the bar set pretty low). We actually looked to be playing with a bit of belief.

It's just that when we got that far, we blatantly didn't have a clue what to do with it. Yes, we did try a lot of crosses, but we appear to just swing the ball in without any effort to pick individual players out. We also don't really have that many players who are much good at getting on the end of crosses anyway.

In short, our tactics are poor, and we don't have players who really seem capable of fitting together to make a decent team.

Agreed
We looked far more cohesive and fluid than against Rotherham. First thirty minutes I thought the build up play was excellent, but and its a big but, we got nothing from Mackie or Obita. The right back had Jordan in his pocket - maybe a swap to the right side would have been worth a try?

We looked one dimensional, slow and predictable. As we have ever since Adkins took over. I defy anyone to tell me otherwise. We have no pace and we can't pass the ball at pace either which is what apparently Adkins wants (and has failed to deliver). As the season has progressed we are increasingly lumping it forward aimlessly.

Adkins is massively under performing with the talent at his disposal.Compare the Charlton team today and us. Not nearly good enough.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Nov 2014 01:42

Good stuff from Simon's Church as always.

Winch is spot on.

I said if we don't get at least 4 points from our two games, he should go. I'll give him another game.

Reckon if Dolan had been in charge tonight, and they'd played like that, they'd have got a plucky standing ovation.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 09 Nov 2014 01:56

Pepe the Horseman Good stuff from Simon's Church as always.

Winch is spot on.

I said if we don't get at least 4 points from our two games, he should go. I'll give him another game.

Reckon if Dolan had been in charge tonight, and they'd played like that, they'd have got a plucky standing ovation.

spot on satire of the pro-Adkins lot.

"One more transfer window."

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Nov 2014 02:10

P!ssed Off
Pepe the Horseman Good stuff from Simon's Church as always.

Winch is spot on.

spot on satire of the pro-Adkins lot.

"One more transfer window."

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 09 Nov 2014 02:10

Sorry, I meant :|

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 09 Nov 2014 02:12

:|

:(

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 09 Nov 2014 03:17

OK! I'll say it!! This was our best performance I have seen at the Mad Stad this season (I did miss the Middlesborough match however). The team worked well together; strung some good passes together and looked like a cohesive unit! I thought the first half was a very entertaining display of football between two good championship sides. I enjoyed it (except for the Charlton goal of course!!).

The BBC called it a 'scrappy game'!! Where did that come from? We have been involved in many 'scrappy games' this season but this was not one of them!! This game was pretty free-flowing with some nice touches from both sides.

There were, as always, negatives. Their full back had Obita in his pocket and our POTS last year suffered a crisis of confidence as a result. His crosses were wayward and, in the second half, he gave up trying to beat his man. Our control in the final third of the pitch was, at times, poor. But there was much to admire. The slick interplay of passes between our midfielders and front men was good (particularly in the first half). Our defence looked stronger than it has done for some time - probably aided by Charlton's tactics of defending their 1 goal lead.

Overall - we were good and there was plenty to admire. But we couldn't break down a solid defensive display by Charlton. There was a lot of commitment by our side and good last ditch defensive blocks when Charlton tried to catch us on the counter-attack. Kudos to Feds for his great double save towards the end.

Despite our dominance, we ran out of ideas half way through the second half. That was the time to introduce changes and NA was too slow (imho) to do so. Given that Charlton were already breaking up the flow of play, by introducing their subs one at a time, I was surprised that NA compounded this by doing the same. Of those subs only Blackman had a positive effect on the match but it was not enough.

We were the better team but came away with no points. That is a failure. But I was encouraged by our play. We will, probably, end up mid-table which is as most of us expected. So why the despair? We have a good side - particularly with Jem and McCleary set to return - so there is reason to keep positive. We are building for the future. Just give us time - and support!!!

THE HUMAN BISCUIT

by THE HUMAN BISCUIT » 09 Nov 2014 06:23

It was a tale of two central defences. Theirs worked, ours didn't. Yes Gunter should have stopped the cross, but we had '35 crosses' in the game, apparently, and didn't score. They had 2 or 3. And did score.

For me, Pearce is much better on the right of defence than on the left. That is why he worked better with Gorkss and - in the Rotherham game - with Ferdinand. With Hector on the right - as with Morrison before him - Pearce has never been as commanding, particularly in the air. It was very noticeable against Rotherham that Ferdinand was winning commanding headers on the left. Had he been playing today, the ball would surely not have reached their 5 foot 8 inch forward.

Yes, our own forward line didn't penetrate, and Obita was frightened to go past anyone - surely his worst ever game for the first team . But a nil-nil in the rain would have been a fair result. It was all down to the central defenders not dealing with a header - again.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Nov 2014 07:13

Utter horror show. One paced, one idea. Beaten by a team who obviously came for a point with no intent to go forward so we thought we'd set them up a goal as we obviously felt sorry for them.

This team has no pace of any note and to be honest I cannot see McLeary and Karacan making any real difference esp. with the current management in place.

Then there's this tippy tappy tedium with next to no excitement or end product. It's all so very good to be able to keep possession in our own half and play it endlessly around but what's the point in that when it never goes anywhere.

Then there is the fact that we apparently had 20 shots and 35 crosses, well I don't know what game the manager was watching, I thought we managed 2 maybe 3 shots on target plus a similar number close but wide. And as to crosses, well not sure I remember any more than about 1 cross actually looking like it might lead to something while the others rarely if at all beat the first man. Plus there's appalling set pieces, throws look static, corners generally are poor and free kicks laughable.

Most of all this team do not inspire and the management does not come across as remotely inspiring or able to motivate and as soon as Charlton opened their present it was fairly obvious that was game over and we might as well have all gone home then.

Can anyone see us keeping a clean sheet or gathering at least a point from visits to Cardiff (where an unmarked Morrison is bound to be on the scoresheet) and Norwich before a revitalised Bolton roll into town?

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 09 Nov 2014 07:45

MmmMonsterMunch I'm genuinely staggered that people think we are playing well. We have 2 wins in 11 against garbage opposition. We have won 2 games in 20 months when going behind under Adkins yet everyone seems happy to trot out one excuse after the other.

I don't think anyone is saying that we are playing that well at the moment. It's just that some people are mature enough to realise that most of the time you need a few seasons of frustrating inconsistency before a squad really kicks on. Just like Coppell's did. Just like Brian's did.

157 posts