23%
Whelmed
65%

Total votes: 272
Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Steve Clarke

by Big Ern » 16 Dec 2014 14:47

Can't believe the club have made such a appalling appoitment. There were better candidates out there. Clarke had a good few months at WBA however they then went into free fall and he has achieved nothing as a manager. I am sure he is a great coach, but doesn't mean he is a good manager. Hope I am wrong, but haven't felt so negative about an appointment since Bullivant and I can see this being a total disaster.

Rfc1987

by Rfc1987 » 16 Dec 2014 14:52

andrew1957
Rollerbob
andrew1957 If true I am massively underwhelmed. I would even have rather we had stuck with NA than this. But would have much preferred Dolan or even Brian to come back.

Clarke has achieved nothing of note in management so far ad is a very dour character - hardly a positive motivator - whereas Brian took us to Wembley and got us promoted.

Cannot believe that the vote is so positive. I hope I am wrong but if true I will be very disappointed.

Three things:
- I'd argue that 7th in Prem with W.Brom is 'something of note' - Also W19, D14, L26 isn't bad in the Prem with a team like W.Brom
- Dolan has achieved less(/nothing) in management
- Dour? You mean like Coppell..? Hm..

:roll:

Dour English is bad enough but dour Scottish is a completely different thing altogether.

Dolan might have achieved nothing but he is one of our own as far as I am concerned.

So lets take our backbone out of the academy try him as manager? at best premiership , then most prob a sacking down the line? Keep Dolan with our academy producing the future.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 16 Dec 2014 14:53

Give me a dour Steve Clarke over a positive Nigel Adkins any day of the week

Rfc1987

by Rfc1987 » 16 Dec 2014 14:54

Big Ern Can't believe the club have made such a appalling appoitment. There were better candidates out there. Clarke had a good few months at WBA however they then went into free fall and he has achieved nothing as a manager. I am sure he is a great coach, but doesn't mean he is a good manager. Hope I am wrong, but haven't felt so negative about an appointment since Bullivant and I can see this being a total disaster.

I think he can give us what we need right now which is stability defensivly. flashy attractive style type managers do not suit us right now due to our restraints thanks to Anton.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 16 Dec 2014 14:55

A bit meh about this news. It worked out the last time we appointed a manager with little/no managing experience. The difference with this time is the last time the manager had been with the club a long time and knew the players, and their strengths and weaknesses, well.

Hoping this turns out well and we don't get relegated is the best I can do in terms of enthusiasm right now...

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 16 Dec 2014 14:56

Winston Smith Speak to West Brom fans about his time there. Even with a good league placing they were not impressed with him.

Yeah, underwhelmed.

Yeah, know a West Brom fan from another forum, and although I thought his sacking was harsh he was adamant it was the right decision and ISTR him saying that he wasn't popular with the fans.

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 16 Dec 2014 14:57

I don't wish to be too damming of our newly to be appointed manager but his record at West Brom was hardly one that set the world alight

Managerial record at West Brom (June 2012 - Dec 2013)
Played 60
Won 19
Drawn 15
Lost 26

I hope he does better at RFC

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Dec 2014 14:57

I'm sue he's not been short of offers over the last year, so gotta be a positive sign (wrt ownership etc) that he wants to come here.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 16 Dec 2014 14:57

Big Ern Can't believe the club have made such a appalling appoitment. There were better candidates out there. Clarke had a good few months at WBA however they then went into free fall and he has achieved nothing as a manager. I am sure he is a great coach, but doesn't mean he is a good manager. Hope I am wrong, but haven't felt so negative about an appointment since Bullivant and I can see this being a total disaster.

Try being at the Mad Stad during an Adkins era game chap. That was negative. This has to be better than Adkins. It's not possible for it to be worse!

Seem like a 'Reading' fit. Tracksuit type fella that doesn't disappear up his own a-hole when talking about tactics and formations. Will do nicely ta.

Rfc1987

by Rfc1987 » 16 Dec 2014 14:57

KC Royal
Winston Smith Speak to West Brom fans about his time there. Even with a good league placing they were not impressed with him.

Yeah, underwhelmed.

Yeah, know a West Brom fan from another forum, and although I thought his sacking was harsh he was adamant it was the right decision and ISTR him saying that he wasn't popular with the fans.

Rodgers wasnt popular with our fans yet he has gone on to better things, all about the fit, Clarke maybe what we need right now.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 16 Dec 2014 15:00

Rfc1987
KC Royal

Yeah, underwhelmed.

Rodgers wasnt popular with our fans yet he has gone on to better things, all about the fit, Clarke maybe what we need right now.

He was initially. In fact, being a former Reading employee and jumping at the chance to come here, he was very well received FWIR.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 16 Dec 2014 15:01

winchester_royal
KC Royal Underwhelmed for me. We've not got a good record with external appointments and he hasn't got experience in the Championship.

By the same logic you'd be underwhelmed with Mourinho.

True :lol:

The difference with Mourinho though is that he's been successful everywhere he's been, and he's also got a lot more managerial experience than Clarke has. I only hope that this has all come about because Dolan didn't want the job as I felt he deserved the chance.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 16 Dec 2014 15:03

Haag Royal I don't wish to be too damming of our newly to be appointed manager but his record at West Brom was hardly one that set the world alight

Played 60
Won 19
Drawn 15
Lost 26

:|

decent enough record for 1st time manager, of a shit club, in the premiere league imo

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 16 Dec 2014 15:04

melonhead
Haag Royal I don't wish to be too damming of our newly to be appointed manager but his record at West Brom was hardly one that set the world alight

Played 60
Won 19
Drawn 15
Lost 26

:|

decent enough record for 1st time manager, of a shit club, in the premiere league imo

Exactly. PL & chump is different gravy. He won 1/3 of his Prem games which with a team like WBA frankly is not that shabby.

Rfc1987

by Rfc1987 » 16 Dec 2014 15:05

Yeah, know a West Brom fan from another forum, and although I thought his sacking was harsh he was adamant it was the right decision and ISTR him saying that he wasn't popular with the fans.[/quote]

Rodgers wasnt popular with our fans yet he has gone on to better things, all about the fit, Clarke maybe what we need right now.[/quote]

He was initially. In fact, being a former Reading employee and jumping at the chance to come here, he was very well received FWIR.[/quote]

Very well recieved yes but as games went on that opinion changed, this is a guy who isnt a yes man with no ties here and just wants to prove himself as manager. If im wrong i will be the first to admit but i feel we have the right manager at the right time.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 16 Dec 2014 15:08

MmmMonsterMunch

Try being at the Mad Stad during an Adkins era game chap. That was negative. This has to be better than Adkins. It's not possible for it to be worse!

Seem like a 'Reading' fit. Tracksuit type fella that doesn't disappear up his own a-hole when talking about tactics and formations. Will do nicely ta.

Replacing crap with crap though isn't a good strategy. I just have a horrible feeling that this is going to be a disaster.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 16 Dec 2014 15:10

Should add that in the Mad Stad era I've generally been proved wrong about our managerial appointments, so going by that Clarke stands a good chance of being successful!

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 16 Dec 2014 15:13

Big Ern
MmmMonsterMunch

Replacing crap with crap though isn't a good strategy. I just have a horrible feeling that this is going to be a disaster.

Massive +1...

Sack the last manager and within 24hrs have a replacement in place! Either this was already lined up or it smacks as a bit of a panic move...why not have someone step up for a few games...like Mcd did after Rodgers went...it's not like we are bottom of the league and not looking to get in the play-offs this year...this would have possibly settled things down abit and maybe got the spirit going...Clarke isn't a motivator and with confidence being low...I can see this being a disaster...
Last edited by Turns8 on 16 Dec 2014 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 16 Dec 2014 15:15

Rfc1987 I have a silly idea................. why dont we give the man who has top english experience in playing and coaching, a record in the prem thats not to be ashamed of with a relegation candidate and extremly keen to prove a point in management a chance!?

THIS.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 16 Dec 2014 15:17

Bloody hell guys give the guy a chance!

We were going nowhere under Adkins change was absolutely necessary. At least they've not messed about, been decisive & given the new fella time to assess before Jan.

All signs point to us potentially having a bit of cash now otherwise we wouldn't have moved when we did. Clarke is hungry & he has a point to prove.

387 posts