Adkins Sacked - Not a Wind Up

228 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Adkins Sacked - Not a Wind Up

by winchester_royal » 16 Dec 2014 12:40

Maguire Everyone who posted on here about how progressive Adkins' appointment was and how his "brand of football" was going to take us to the next level please raise your hand now and admit you were wrong.

My prediction: we make a supremely underwhelming appointment and struggle for the rest of the season.

8)

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 16 Dec 2014 12:48

winchester_royal
Maguire Everyone who posted on here about how progressive Adkins' appointment was and how his "brand of football" was going to take us to the next level please raise your hand now and admit you were wrong.

My prediction: we make a supremely underwhelming appointment and struggle for the rest of the season.

8)

Hi Winch :lol:

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 16 Dec 2014 13:20

PieEater Not being a Facebook user, can someone please post what Samrit said about the sacking before it happened?

Good Bye & Good Luck ...

Yesterday at 10:20

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Dec 2014 13:22

Although apparently it was about some French bloke leaving Police United, and not about Nige getting the chop.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 16 Dec 2014 14:38

Never thought McDermott should have been sacked and thought we underachieved last season, but with the stuff that came out over the summer decided to give Adkins a fresh start. But ignoring personal sadness that this has created I'm generally pleased with the decision, was starting to become apathetic about watching matches online. Said to a couple of mates after the Cardiff game that he'd be gone Christmas/New Year if things don't improve, and they've got worse since then. Right decision, right time. Wasn't convinced we could afford to sack him though.

Can't help but feel that this season may have damaged Adkins reputation in the game.

If he wanted it I would have gone for Dolan to replace him.

Rfc1987

by Rfc1987 » 16 Dec 2014 14:40

Big Foot
PieEater Not being a Facebook user, can someone please post what Samrit said about the sacking before it happened?

About 9am yesterday, he simply posted "Goodbye...and good luck"

As we all know now this was not Adkins related just typical Reading fans thinking that a man posting a comment who yes is involved with us but isnt an owner must of been about us.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 16 Dec 2014 14:43

When will the inevitable "Nigel: The right decision? " Thread be started?

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 16 Dec 2014 14:46

Uke When will the inevitable "Nigel: The right decision? " Thread be started?

Awkward..............

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 16 Dec 2014 14:51

At least I'll be able to return to the Madejski now.

Rfc1987

by Rfc1987 » 16 Dec 2014 14:55

Mr.Swainey At least I'll be able to return to the Madejski now.

Supporter of the year goes to.................................... :D

mambo3

Re: Adkins has gone...

by mambo3 » 16 Dec 2014 16:28

SCIAG
Mr.Swainey
winchester_royal
there hasn't been the development of youngsters we were hoping to see

Rightly so, they've looked woefully out of their depth. People crack on like the academy system is one of the best, the likes of Jake Taylor and Craig Tanner have proven otherwise.

This post will be embarrassing in a couple of years... I can understand being underwhelmed by Taylor (though he's been quietly effective) but not Tanner.

Has Tanner scored as many goals as Jake and what are you basing all this on?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Dec 2014 17:05

,o/

It certainly didn't work out that way. Although that doesn't mean we'd be better off if a different decision had been made a couple of years ago. Sometimes shit happens.

mambo3

by mambo3 » 16 Dec 2014 17:47

Did you notice that whole squad paid tribute to him.......not!

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 16 Dec 2014 17:48

mambo3 Did you notice that whole squad paid tribute to him.......not!

Were there any tweets?

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 16 Dec 2014 18:12

RoyallyFcuked
sandman His sacking was undeserved and today's news actually reinforces that.

It really does amaze me how people like yourself were so quick to defend Adkins citing ownership issues and the like yet McDermott is accused of lying about transfer budgets and interference from above. Admit it, you and your ilk chased after the oft quoted myth of "more attractive football" and it was just a pipedream dreamt up by a young owner whose real reason was he got desperate and panicked in the hope of keeping the glitz, glamour, prestige, spotlight and most of all money of the PL.

Yeah I did think the football would improve under Adkins. The evidence we had at the time suggested it would. I don't mind admitting I was wrong about that, but having said that I don't think he is a bad manager and he could go somewhere else and do well. I think the quality of the players he had at Southampton was a main difference though. He inherited a shit state of affairs here and had to put up with them since after being shafted by the owner. Whatever the other reasons, the bottom line is it just didnt work for him here.

To be fair we did see the basic football improve in terms of possession etc, but we were still just as clueless as what to do with it as we were under McDermott in the Premier League. IMO it's hard to say how much is down to the manager and how much is down to the players. Adkins just didnt see to be able to train them out of their bad habits and improve them. I think half the problem is that a lot of the players are just limited.

I did think for a while that the one positive to come from AZ's ownership was Adkins, but a couple on here predicted that his (AZ's) reign could end in tears and I agreed that it could well do.

McDermott's sacking WAS justified though. He lost his way in the PL, ran out of ideas and made some poor decisions. Kept playing the same out of form players week in week out and spent his post match interviews moaning about 50/50 decisions rather than addressing the fact we'd underperformed and been outplayed in nearly every game. We wernt seeing any improvement, in fact we were getting worse. If you think Adkins sacking was deserved for those two reasons at least, then so was McDermott's.

Anything to reply SADman? Or have you ran out of ideas like your beloved McDonut?

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 16 Dec 2014 18:14

Uke

Were there any tweets?

Karacan did a statement on behalf of the squad but I guess as captain he's obliged to. Also read on another forum once (I think Brighton's??) that an ex-player of his once rang him up to revel in the fact he & his new club had beaten him.

By all accounts he isn't that well liked by many of his old players. Can't say I'm that surprised.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 16 Dec 2014 18:19

Uke

Were there any tweets?

Jem Paul Karacan @JemKaracan21 23h 23 hours ago
On behalf of the players I want to thank gaffer Cros and Deano for everything they did here. They couldnt have worked any harder and earned massive respect of everyone here.
Now we as players have to take responsibility to go out there and perform, starting Saturday. On a more personal note a big thanks to Nigel who gave me the armband this season and Ill always be grateful for that.

Garath McCleary @gmccleary12 · 24h 24 hours ago
Deflating! .........

Jason Roberts @JasonRoberts30 · 22h 22 hours ago
Sad news about Nigel Adkins..always struck me as a decent man..and it was a real shame I never got to turn out for him as Reading manager..

Karacan seemed to do the talking for all of them.
Last edited by Royal Ginger on 16 Dec 2014 18:19, edited 1 time in total.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 16 Dec 2014 18:19

RoyallyFcuked
RoyallyFcuked
sandman His sacking was undeserved and today's news actually reinforces that.

It really does amaze me how people like yourself were so quick to defend Adkins citing ownership issues and the like yet McDermott is accused of lying about transfer budgets and interference from above. Admit it, you and your ilk chased after the oft quoted myth of "more attractive football" and it was just a pipedream dreamt up by a young owner whose real reason was he got desperate and panicked in the hope of keeping the glitz, glamour, prestige, spotlight and most of all money of the PL.

Yeah I did think the football would improve under Adkins. The evidence we had at the time suggested it would. I don't mind admitting I was wrong about that, but having said that I don't think he is a bad manager and he could go somewhere else and do well. I think the quality of the players he had at Southampton was a main difference though. He inherited a shit state of affairs here and had to put up with them since after being shafted by the owner. Whatever the other reasons, the bottom line is it just didnt work for him here.

To be fair we did see the basic football improve in terms of possession etc, but we were still just as clueless as what to do with it as we were under McDermott in the Premier League. IMO it's hard to say how much is down to the manager and how much is down to the players. Adkins just didnt see to be able to train them out of their bad habits and improve them. I think half the problem is that a lot of the players are just limited.

I did think for a while that the one positive to come from AZ's ownership was Adkins, but a couple on here predicted that his (AZ's) reign could end in tears and I agreed that it could well do.

McDermott's sacking WAS justified though. He lost his way in the PL, ran out of ideas and made some poor decisions. Kept playing the same out of form players week in week out and spent his post match interviews moaning about 50/50 decisions rather than addressing the fact we'd underperformed and been outplayed in nearly every game. We wernt seeing any improvement, in fact we were getting worse. If you think Adkins sacking was deserved for those two reasons at least, then so was McDermott's.

Anything to reply SADman? Or have you ran out of ideas like your beloved McDonut?

Spaceyesque

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 16 Dec 2014 18:22

Think I'll let you continue to hang yourself RF.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 16 Dec 2014 18:30

sandman Think I'll let you continue to hang yourself RF.

:lol:

Thanks for proving my point. Too buckled to come back with anything, as always. You can never come up with any reasons as to why people are wrong other than the fact they disagree with your own (usually deluded) opinion. Well if you can, you lack the capacity to debate it. So you carry on living in your little dreamworld, at least you can be right there.

As Floyd said, "the worst poster on Hobnob"

228 posts