Underwhelmed
23%
Whelmed
65%

Total votes: 272
Gilksy

Re: Steve Clarke

by Gilksy » 17 Dec 2014 12:09

How can bringing in some of the best youngsters in the country, and we're only talking one or two here, be a bad thing? Christ alive!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 17 Dec 2014 12:25

P!ssed Off
Chelsea have got some great young players that need farming out. We desperately need a striker or two and Chelsea have got two of the country's best youth strikers in Dom Solanke and Izzy Brown.

Solanke is a winger, and you're forgetting Bamford, who will be available in January.

Striker is the only position where a loan could be justified, and even then, I'd like to see Cardwell given a shot.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 17 Dec 2014 12:28

SCIAG
P!ssed Off
Chelsea have got some great young players that need farming out. We desperately need a striker or two and Chelsea have got two of the country's best youth strikers in Dom Solanke and Izzy Brown.

Solanke is a winger, and you're forgetting Bamford, who will be available in January.

Striker is the only position where a loan could be justified, and even then, I'd like to see Cardwell given a shot.

Solanke is a striker, not a winger.
Bamford is already in talks about extending his loan for the rest of the season.

Cletus Van Damme

by Cletus Van Damme » 17 Dec 2014 12:33

RG30
Royal Lady I'm surprised at the quick appointment - did we even contemplate anyone else I wonder? Also, was Hammond around at the press conference - Nigel Howe isn't normally photographed at these sort of things is he? I also noted that JM didn't really want to talk about anything, which is very out of character for him!

Not one quote on press release and no sign at the press conference. Given his recent interview with the local media where he defended Adkins, interesting to see which direction this goes in.

Thought that was the most notable part of the press conference. We had two co chairman and the chief executive, but nothing from the guy who's in charge of running the football side of the club.

Hammond seems to be highly rated and I can't imagine the last couple of years have been much fun for him dealing with the mess the clubs in/has been in. With ffp and the noises coming from within the club I can't see that changing. Would be a big loss IMO opinion.
Last edited by Cletus Van Damme on 17 Dec 2014 12:34, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Dec 2014 12:34

SCIAG
P!ssed Off

Do you put him in front of Tanner?

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 17 Dec 2014 12:35

Royal Rother
SCIAG
P!ssed Off

Tanner's not an out and out striker. More AM than Striker.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 17 Dec 2014 12:41

P!ssed Off Solanke is a striker, not a winger.

Looks like you're right. Must have been confusing him with someone else.

Royal Rother
SCIAG

Only literally. Tanner is best behind the striker. He's a better talent than Cardwell but not as good an option to lead the line.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Dec 2014 13:00

Ok, cheers.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 17 Dec 2014 13:12

Won't surprise me if Hammond has gone. He sorted negotiations with Adkins so why not Clarke? Unless he is on holiday can't see a reason for non appearance?

Chelsea/Royal

by Chelsea/Royal » 17 Dec 2014 13:30

This is my first ever post.

I am relatively new to being a Royal. I am a Chelsea fan through and through, but my boys are both Berkshire born and naturally want to follow their local club. We have had season tickets for 3 years, up high in the East stand. We love going, it's a bit of Dad / Sons time.

Being objective, Steve Clarke is a good man. Is he Bill Shankly? No he is not. But he is the best Reading can realistically get.

From what I have witnessed this season, they are a team without a clue what is expected of them. I am not sure NA even knew himself.

Crucially, they cannot defend. Any of them. Their was a glimmer of hope when Rio played 45 mins. Then got hurt and we haven't seen him since.

I fear what Watford will do to us this Saturday. Deeney is a class act, and a real handful. I can't see Hector, Cooper, Pierce getting near him.

Gunter is really weak, Kelly is not great either.

Fed? Flaps at crosses, but good shot stopper.

Would I waste money on Murray? No. So erratic and gives away so many cheap fouls, and when he does it gives away any attacking advantage we have and puts the pressure back on our shocking defence.Get rid of Pog and start again.

Clarke's most pressing issue is trying to stop us shipping goals. I don't think Watford is the game he would have chosen to start with.

Give him a chance.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 17 Dec 2014 13:33

The initial pictures of the press conference had 4 chairs instead of 3. Then there was a delay, one of the chairs was taken away and the conference started. I'm guessing he dropped out last minute/stuck in traffic/on the phone.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Dec 2014 13:53

Clarke's ability to use his contacts at somewhere like Chelsea to tap into their young talent might be a big plus for us, not only in terms of picking up the odd quality loanee but also in attracting a one or two of those that don't make it there and need to drop down.

I'd love for us to produce all our own players but realistically that's not going to happen. Adding in the odd Bamford, Chalabah, Bertrand or Sinclair when they leave due to his reputation and links to Chelsea might be providing us with that extra quality we're so obviously lacking at times.

madstadblues

by madstadblues » 17 Dec 2014 14:00

Steve Clarke = Owen Teale (can't work out how to add a picture).

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 17 Dec 2014 14:03

madstadblues Steve Clarke = Owen Teale (can't work out how to add a picture).

No, Steve Clarke = Tacklers Eve

mathematically_safe
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: keeping wicket for the quakers in my joy division oven gloves

by mathematically_safe » 17 Dec 2014 14:26

The previous manager we had who was a 'Steve C' did ok.

On that basis I'm in.*

* clutching at straws since calling for Bullivant's head at The Manor Ground

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 17 Dec 2014 14:34

Wycombe Royal He took West Brom to their highest ever Premier League tally of points, is well connected and has an excellent reputation as a coach. Could we do better? Possibly, but this could be a decent appointment.

^^^^^^^ This.
If we cant spend money, having someone with good connections was important to me. It could mean some quality loan signings. I hope so. Did a very good job at WBA as well. Bet they wish he was still there looking at them this season. I think this could be a good appointment.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 17 Dec 2014 14:56

Chelsea/Royal This is my first ever post.

I am relatively new to being a Royal. I am a Chelsea fan through and through, but my boys are both Berkshire born and naturally want to follow their local club. We have had season tickets for 3 years, up high in the East stand. We love going, it's a bit of Dad / Sons time.

Being objective, Steve Clarke is a good man. Is he Bill Shankly? No he is not. But he is the best Reading can realistically get.

From what I have witnessed this season, they are a team without a clue what is expected of them. I am not sure NA even knew himself.

Crucially, they cannot defend. Any of them. Their was a glimmer of hope when Rio played 45 mins. Then got hurt and we haven't seen him since.

I fear what Watford will do to us this Saturday. Deeney is a class act, and a real handful. I can't see Hector, Cooper, Pierce getting near him.

Would I waste money on Murray? No. So erratic and gives away so many cheap fouls, and when he does it gives away any attacking advantage we have and puts the pressure back on our shocking defence.Get rid of Pog and start again.

Clarke's most pressing issue is trying to stop us shipping goals. I don't think Watford is the game he would have chosen to start with.

Give him a chance.

The last thing we need is more glory hunters following our club.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 17 Dec 2014 14:58

blueroyals The initial pictures of the press conference had 4 chairs instead of 3. Then there was a delay, one of the chairs was taken away and the conference started. I'm guessing he dropped out last minute/stuck in traffic/on the phone.

Unless he fell off his chair before the cameras started rolling and there were two men stage left dragging the body out.

Chelsea/Royal

by Chelsea/Royal » 17 Dec 2014 15:12

Norfolk Royal
Chelsea/Royal This is my first ever post.

Give him a chance.

The last thing we need is more glory hunters following our club.

I know I'm sorry, I have got so sick of Chels under performing that I thought I'd swap to a proper club!!

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 17 Dec 2014 15:15

Royal Rother
Reading4eva
I believe this will be an improvement over Adkins though who it's obvious to see now was riding the crest of a wave at Southampton.

Oh, are we supposed to discount his achievements at Southampton then because he was riding the crest of a wave? A wave he pretty much created by winning League 1 in his 1st season there of course.

What about the wave created when he was at Scunthorpe?

It was a team that Pardew built.

At Scunthorpe he got them relegated once. Didn't do badly though, but there was little pressure unlike here or Southampton

387 posts