Singing problem

No Fixed Abode

Re: Singing problem

by No Fixed Abode » 12 Jan 2015 15:16

Ian Royal
No Fixed Abode Madejski is definitely the quietest ground I've been to this season. And it's the fourth ground so far.

Sorry you've not managed to see Chelsea at home yet.

Yes. Been twice so far. HTH.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 12 Jan 2015 16:44

No Fixed Abode Madejski is definitely the quietest ground I've been to this season. And it's the fourth ground so far.

Of course it is kes, of course it is. Now run along you little scamp.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 12 Jan 2015 18:17

sandman

Of course it is kes, of course it is. Now run along you little scamp.

Stamford Bridge
Priestfield
Madejski
Loftus Road

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 12 Jan 2015 18:29

We can all google football ground names m8.
Last edited by sandman on 12 Jan 2015 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Jan 2015 18:35

sandman We canal google football ground names m8.

When are you going to post the hooked fish picture?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 12 Jan 2015 19:53

Ian Royal
sandman We canal google football ground names m8.

When are you going to post the hooked fish picture?

Seems like Sandman watches all his football on Canal+

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 12 Jan 2015 20:09

I've been to The Maracana, Stamford Bridge, Fossetts Farm Stadium and Hackney Marshes this season and can confidently say The Madejski had the best atmosphere of the lot put together.
Last edited by sandman on 12 Jan 2015 21:08, edited 1 time in total.

purleY19

by purleY19 » 12 Jan 2015 21:07

It's obvious that the atmosphere in the ground has become increasingly sterile over the last 2-3 years. As others have mentioned this is probably due to the frequently uninspiring football on offer, but the main reason seems to be the unwillingness of many to join in.

For a large number of people in the ground, the atmosphere isn't important. That's fine, and if you're sitting in the West/North West area then you've probably not gone along to sing and clap turgid football. But there must be a large amount of people in Y24-Y26 who would love the ground to have a better atmosphere and get involved with making it so? There's a small, but good group of dedicated people at the top of Y26 who are trying their best, but if people don't feel like getting involved it's not going to improve. As a result our chants are often too short, too quick and nearly always too quiet...

The club doesn't help things at all in my opinion. The ground is too clinical and has gone too far in trying to make the Madejski a fun family day out. It's understandable why they've done so, but it's at the expense of atmosphere and makes the stadium a little too welcoming to away teams.

Palace had a similar problem for years and decided to do something about it, now Selhurst Park is considered one of the noisiest in the Premier league. Their 'ultras' (little bit naff) may have ripped off continental grounds a fair bit, but it's hard to argue that it's improved their atmosphere. It would be good to see a similar thing start here. However, I think unfortunately the only thing that will realistically improve the atmosphere is an improvement in performances. But all it takes is a few extra people joining in in certain sections and we'll be on the right track. You can decide to sit in silence and watch boring football, or you can have a laugh, have a sing and a clap and watch boring football. We'll all go back to our miserable lives afterwards anyway...

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 12 Jan 2015 21:14

Good post, welcome.

You are right, too many take this whole football experience far too seriously.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Jan 2015 23:12

The only shouting half our fans like to do is calling our players useless oxf*rd.

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 13 Jan 2015 15:11

purleY19 Palace had a similar problem for years and decided to do something about it, now Selhurst Park is considered one of the noisiest in the Premier league. Their 'ultras' (little bit naff) may have ripped off continental grounds a fair bit, but it's hard to argue that it's improved their atmosphere. It would be good to see a similar thing start here. However, I think unfortunately the only thing that will realistically improve the atmosphere is an improvement in performances. But all it takes is a few extra people joining in in certain sections and we'll be on the right track. You can decide to sit in silence and watch boring football, or you can have a laugh, have a sing and a clap and watch boring football. We'll all go back to our miserable lives afterwards anyway...

I remember visiting Palace int the 80's/90's and frankly Scours Lane had a better atmosphere. TBF they've had a pretty good ride in the last few years (promotion and staying up int he prem for the first time in their history) which will always add to the atmosphere but so saying that I've been amazed buy the atmosphere generated recently.

I'm not a great fan of flag waving, drum beating happy clappers but it does seem to spark off the rest of the ground at Selhurst Park at the moment. It's that what we have to do then reluctantly I'm for it.

purleY19

by purleY19 » 13 Jan 2015 18:55

I think it's important that it's the fans who are behind this rather than the club (I don't think there's anyone who wants the days of Rumblestix and clappers to return...) but to do so it's going to take a few extra people who want it to improve swallowing their pride and having a sing. It's not as if we have the most complicated repertoire of songs to learn. Bl'army!