Worst home support in the league ?

K.URZ13

Re: Worst home support in the league ?

by K.URZ13 » 20 Feb 2015 09:07

Hi all. Long time viewer, first time poster here.

Agree with what's been said already that home support nationwide is generally poor these days. Just wanted to add that i think our away support is pretty good and I thought we were miles better than Swansea in the 2011 play off final; before, during and even after the game.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 20 Feb 2015 17:59

We weren't OK for the first 10 minutes or so. Our good spell was early in the second half, at which point the fans got behind the team.

Yes we were good at the start. We looked pretty good for about 15 minutes and then Wigan scored, ciompletely against the run of play. We then lost our heads and the rest of that has was forgettable. We had moments in the second half but we never really got it together.

I don't think the Wigan fans outsang us. I was sat in the North Stand but I didn't hear a peep from them all match, definitely more from Y25/26.

Agreed. They sounded just like you expect <200 people, who are spread out, to sound.

I'm usually strongly opposed to booing, but last night it was warranted. Usually I'd agree that our supporters are worse than our playersy, but not yesterday.

I'm not a fan of booing but I can understand the sentiment.

I am amazed at any of the previous comments that Wigan outplayed us at any time. We were dreadful bordering on unbelievably awful. They never, at any stage, raised their game to that level. You could see why they are down in the bottom 3. How we conspired to let them beat us is a mystery I don't think we will ever solve.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 20 Feb 2015 21:34

K.URZ13 I thought we were miles better than Swansea in the 2011 play off final; before, during and even after the game.

Did we have a result after the game then? Ran them out of West London? Tell us more.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 20 Feb 2015 23:22

It's not just the lack of singing that's the problem. There seems to be absolutely zero enthusiasm from the fans. There's just no buzz from the crowd, especially for night games. You kind of feel that people don't want to be there, but they've come along because they've paid for the ticket.

The appalling football we've mainly seen this season obviously doesn't help, and doesn't have people keenly anticipating the match, but the atmosphere reminds me of 2500 souls in for an autoglass trophy game, wondering why they bothered.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 21 Feb 2015 11:33

tmesis It's not just the lack of singing that's the problem. There seems to be absolutely zero enthusiasm from the fans. There's just no buzz from the crowd, especially for night games. You kind of feel that people don't want to be there, but they've come along because they've paid for the ticket.

The appalling football we've mainly seen this season obviously doesn't help, and doesn't have people keenly anticipating the match, but the atmosphere reminds me of 2500 souls in for an autoglass trophy game, wondering why they bothered.

The other side of the coin though is that 6th has gone. We are just playing the season out now apart from the cup. Its really hard to get enthusiasm when theres b+gger all to play for. We won't go down, though there is still that risk. What has pissed me off is things may well have been different had we disposed of Adkins sooner which we should have done. The Chelsea loan signing has been disappointing but SC is still the right man. I'm looking at next season already.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 21 Feb 2015 15:39

M Brook Dim Tellor suggested om BBCRB last night that the lack of atmosphere/empty blue seats was because lots of people were away on half term skiing breaks. Apparently, according to him, Reading fans are the most middle class fans in the league.

Really Tim? Nothing to do with the dreadful football that we've been served up this season then?

He's got a point. It was a rearranged game during half term. I'd imagine quite a few booked to go away for half term based on the fixture list, but after the originally scheduled Saturday afternoon fixture. The cup game moved it and it was rescheduled to midweek in half term. Bound to have lost a few as a result.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 21 Feb 2015 17:49

Ultimately I think the main reason is that the singers at the top of Y25/26 that used to be there circa 5 years ago have since grown old & moved to other sections of the ground.

Their seats have been taken by self conscious teenagers who don't really get involved as much but still like to sit in the 'noisy' end. Subsequently, you end up diluting the vocal support year on year.

I really think if people sit at the back in that particular area it's your job to get it going. If you aren't prepared to then move down a dozen or so rows so that people who are happy to get stuck in can all congregate together.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 21 Feb 2015 17:58

MmmMonsterMunch Ultimately I think the main reason is that the singers at the top of Y25/26 that used to be there circa 5 years ago have since grown old & moved to other sections of the ground.

Their seats have been taken by self conscious teenagers who don't really get involved as much but still like to sit in the 'noisy' end. Subsequently, you end up diluting the vocal support year on year.

I really think if people sit at the back in that particular area it's your job to get it going. If you aren't prepared to then move down a dozen or so rows so that people who are happy to get stuck in can all congregate together.

The people around me are interesting ...

The guy behind seemed far more excited by the Tottenham score updates a few games back. The young spotty teenager group a few rows in front spend most of
The time talking.

One is a very keen Arsenal fan as he too was very excited when a goal went in.

The volume and atmosphere does go up when it's a good game and something exciting happening - that sounds obvious. But there's so many games that nothing - almost literally nothing - has happened to either protest about or cheer about.

Times like those when I'm clock watching just so I can go home. Really not enjoyable and it goes feel like I've gone "because I have a ticket"

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 21 Feb 2015 18:01

All it really needs though Bobby is a group of really committed 100 or so at the back of Y25 to keep going & people will follow. Instead they have a go for about a minute & just give up.

I really cannot believe the change in such a short space of time. Even in 2010 it was still decent. Last 4 seasons have been appalling.

K.URZ13

by K.URZ13 » 21 Feb 2015 18:15

Mr.Swainey
K.URZ13 I thought we were miles better than Swansea in the 2011 play off final; before, during and even after the game.

Did we have a result after the game then? Ran them out of West London? Tell us more.

No. As in, I had fun in London after the game and saw more Reading fans around than Swansea fans. Obviously, that's partly geographical, but try not to read too much into things.

Dave_Kitson

by Dave_Kitson » 21 Feb 2015 18:28

It's not just Reading that suffers from a poor atmosphere for some games. Anyone who went to the Cardiff FA cup will tell you how woeful the home support was at Cardiff City Stadium.

unit

by unit » 21 Feb 2015 21:14

Away days are always more fun . A few hours of pre match banter and beers with your mates and the fact in the stadium, you are out numbered and shoved in a corner brings a unity of sorts.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Feb 2015 22:01

Agreed and has been obvious since 1998

MeMeMe

by MeMeMe » 21 Feb 2015 22:07

I don't put any blame on the home support for the last two home games... Tuesday night in February is not the most convenient time for many. However I would have a word in ear of the people responsible for state of the pitch... it was bad against Leeds and very bad against Wigan. Away performances are better right now !! :shock:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 21 Feb 2015 22:14

I don't buy into that " the state of the pitch shizzle"

Yes of course we could wheel out the "it's the same for both teams" cliche, but in reality, the state of the pitch is the lamest of all excuses.

Many folk have to adapt their adverse working day efficiently. The players need to do the same......then, just maybe it may help the fans to find some sort of bond and enthusiasm.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 21 Feb 2015 23:11

MmmMonsterMunch All it really needs though Bobby is a group of really committed 100 or so at the back of Y25 to keep going & people will follow. Instead they have a go for about a minute & just give up.

I really cannot believe the change in such a short space of time. Even in 2010 it was still decent. Last 4 seasons have been appalling.

2010 was when I gave up my season ticket in Y25. Coincidence? :twisted:

AirRaidSiren
Hob Nob Regular

by AirRaidSiren » 22 Feb 2015 01:01

How can you compare the 'worst'?

Impossible.

But we are totally shit at home and have been for several years. oxf*rd crap. Boring. Stale.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 22 Feb 2015 09:20

I totally accept that it's easier for the fans to be noisy and supportive if the team is playing well and/or winning.

But at the same time if enough people wanted to do it then there could be a noisy, supportive atmosphere at the Mad Stad even with the recent comparatively uninspiring performances.. We lack that small group of uninhibited, slightly crazy fans that is needed to kick start the rest. It's been discussed many times, and not sorted. And it won't be sorted if all people are prepared to do is complain about it on message boards.

While acknowledging the chicken and egg nature of the problem I would also say that the team actually need the noise and support when they are struggling more than when they are playing well and winning. We seem content to sit back and tell the team that unless they entertain us we won't support them, which is the wrong attitude entirely although easy to understand on a cold Tuesday night in February.....
Last edited by Nameless on 22 Feb 2015 10:13, edited 1 time in total.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 22 Feb 2015 09:35

It has been noticeably quieter this season. I'm in Y25 and have been for a few years since moving from Y24.
The only way we are going to make it better is by opening our gobs and singing - even if it's just keeping Bl'Army going for ages. Personally I'll sing anything going (except the stab Swindon song which I disagree with) as long and as loud as I can (until I lose my voice which tends to happen every game). Must admit I've never tried to start a song though. I'm more of an ad lib shouter.