How far we've slipped

teignmouth hoops

How far we've slipped

by teignmouth hoops » 08 Apr 2015 12:05

At the beginning of this season I was relatively optimistic and thought we'd be up there challenging with the likes of Derby & Norwich , Forest, Cardiff and possibly Boro' & Leeds n Bournemouth.
Now with a hatful of games to go we are on the edge of a relegation scrap and we're scared of getting hammered by Bournemouth & Brentford at home, teams up till a couple of seasons a go we were an awful lot better than, what has gone wrong ? As an added point when Steve Clarke was announced as our new manger I thought that's really good but he just seems so negative and his style of football is worse then Atkins

Coppelled_Streets

Re: How far we've slipped

by Coppelled_Streets » 08 Apr 2015 12:28

We've had to cut our cloth drastically, whilst Bournemouth have had significant investment. We and they are where we deserve to be. More cuts this summer, so brace yourself! You have to endure the dark days to really appreciate the good times. This is when you find out who the real supporters are and who are the fair-weathers.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Apr 2015 12:57

I'm always amazed to see anyone say they expected anything above midtable this season, even with a decent start and better summer transfers than expected.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 08 Apr 2015 13:01

Ian Royal I'm always amazed to see anyone say they expected anything above midtable this season, even with a decent start and better summer transfers than expected.

LOL @ this.

I think most Reading fans expectations at the start of the season was pushing for a play-off spot. Nice to see you're trying to kid yourself again Ian. :lol:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 08 Apr 2015 13:03

^ we're not midtable though are we. We're bottom 7 and on current form likely to finish lower.

It has been a poor season.

teignmouth hoops

by teignmouth hoops » 08 Apr 2015 13:04

Ian Royal I'm always amazed to see anyone say they expected anything above midtable this season, even with a decent start and better summer transfers than expected.

But shouldn't we be expecting something above midtable, when we only missed out on the play-offs on the last game of last season, and Mick Gooding repeatedly telling us we've one of the best squads in the division.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 08 Apr 2015 13:09

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 08 Apr 2015 13:10

A squad with quality such as Williams, McCleary, Pogrebnyak and latterly Chalobah supported by solid (if unspectacular) Championship players such as Federici, Pearce, Gunter and HRK shouldn't be languishing - for insstance - 24 points behind an Ipswich squad which boasts Jay fecking Tabb as a regular FFS.

The cup run is a crock too; away Championship draws were unkind but Cardiff and Huddersfield are bottom half sides and Derby hardly treated the 5th round game as a priority.....

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 08 Apr 2015 13:24

No Fixed Abode

LOL @ this.

I think most Reading fans expectations at the start of the season was pushing for a play-off spot. Nice to see you're trying to kid yourself again Ian. :lol:

Whoops.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 08 Apr 2015 14:36

The club is under-performing but if fans truly expected us to be chasing a play-off place this season then it's no surprise everyone is shocked, we should be mid-table really with our squad.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Apr 2015 17:03

floyd__streete ^ we're not midtable though are we. We're bottom 7 and on current form likely to finish lower.

It has been a poor season.

Reading comprehension floyd. I didn't say we were or it wasn't.

Teignmouth - Gooding's wrong. And not if you pay attention to the context of an injury hit weakened squad at a club with serious financial issues. Iirc, we were declining during last season too.

Also LOLLY @ Kes.
Last edited by Ian Royal on 08 Apr 2015 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 08 Apr 2015 17:09

We have a lot of good individual players but we haven't got a team.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 08 Apr 2015 17:29

We looked a lot better earlier in the season when the academy players were closer to the first as they were at least giving it a good go and trying. But there's something rotten in that first team and it needs a good clean out imo. Reminds me of the end of the coppell era when the team fell apart due to back room issues.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Apr 2015 17:43

ZacNaloen We looked a lot better earlier in the season when the academy players were closer to the first as they were at least giving it a good go and trying. But there's something rotten in that first team and it needs a good clean out imo. Reminds me of the end of the coppell era when the team fell apart due to back room issues.

Norwood and Pearce apparently having a bit of a ding dong at Blackpool... I wonder whether Norwood's decline is linked to the management change and he now wants out? Performances dropped, dropped in the pecking order and been passed over for two Chelsea youngsters and someone who could barely make the team under the manager who brought him in...

Some of the players (and not many of them high performers) are still on big wedges and that must grate with the others too.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 08 Apr 2015 18:33

I think I give you too much credit by suggesting you're some sort of sneaky club apologist (who continues despite having been humiliated repeatedly). Some of the things you say make you come across as just a bit simple. Seriously.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Apr 2015 18:38

2 world wars, 1 world cup

I think I give you too much credit by suggesting you're some sort of sneaky club apologist (who continues despite having been humiliated repeatedly). Some of the things you say make you come across as just a bit simple. Seriously.

I refer the honourable* gentleman to the link Vision posted above, where 80% (some 134 people) agreed with me about 9 months ago.

Humiliation never stopped you, why should I be any different?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 09 Apr 2015 04:57

But we aren't mid table, we are relegation fodder, though would need to lose every game really to go down.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 09 Apr 2015 06:50

And with Blackburn and Bournemouth before Wembley, in which none of our players will give 100% and Biurmingham, Brentford and Derby after, that is a distinct possibility!

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 09 Apr 2015 07:28

I accept the points about other clubs improving, our change of manager, low confidence etc, but it's still been a terrible season.
Neither manager seems to know the strongest XI, although i've got faith in Clarke and expect us to be miles better next year.
We've got too many players in the squad, some of which on top bunse.
Having said that, with the players available, we should be scoring 1.5 points/game at least. We also boast (if that's the right word) one of the worst goal differences in the division.
I fear for the semi final as Arsenal could humiliate us.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 09 Apr 2015 08:45

No Fixed Abode

LOL @ this.

Vision http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123142&view=viewpoll

KESFAIL :!: