How far we've slipped

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: How far we've slipped

by Tony Le Mesmer » 09 Apr 2015 09:04

since we moved to the Madejski, we have had 13 seasons in the football league, with 13 top half finishes. Our worst finishing position in 10 championship seasons is 9th. finishing positions 11, 10, 3, 2, 4, 9, 7, 1, 4, 9, 5, 1, 7.

Yes, we've slipped, but from a great height.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 09 Apr 2015 09:35

The risk with clubs relegated from the Premiership is slipping further once the money runs out. Look at Wigan's position now to see what I am always most fearful of. Therefore, the eventual outcome this season looks as though it will be fine (as long as we don't go down!.

This has been a disappointing season because of the performances and because of our current personnel. I thought we were looking at a difficult season where Adkins would play the kids; we wouldn't win much but a few players would be developed. Instead we have been subjected to dross and only one young player has fledged. Sacking Adkins and replacing him with a worse manager guaranteed a brush with relegation as well.

The worst thing has been the transfer policy. If there is nobody decent to get, buy nobody. Miraculously we managed to rid ourselves of Drenthe in the winter, but replaced him immediately with an even worse player. Kuhl was the one player who looked to have a chance this year, but we are playing loanees instead.

Next year we start from scratch. There is nothing much from this year to build on.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Apr 2015 10:27

Harpers So Solid Crew But we aren't mid table, we are relegation fodder, though would need to lose every game really to go down.

And again, I didn't say we are. I'm not sure you can be relegation fodder with an almost zero chance of relegation though.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Apr 2015 10:56

ZacNaloen We looked a lot better earlier in the season when the academy players were closer to the first as they were at least giving it a good go and trying. But there's something rotten in that first team and it needs a good clean out imo. Reminds me of the end of the coppell era when the team fell apart due to back room issues.

Certainly agree on the second point. A clear out is needed a fresh start kicked off. I'm reasonably happy that Clarke is well set to manage that too.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 Apr 2015 11:20

Ian Royal I'm always amazed to see anyone say they expected anything above midtable this season, even with a decent start and better summer transfers than expected.
I expected us to finish the season in better shape than we started and to be rebuilding for next season.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 09 Apr 2015 11:57

Looking at that thread I rather over optimistically predicted 10th! :oops:

Getting Ake and Appiah in is all well and good and they may give us a bit of a lift to pull us a little bit up the table, I would still rather see the likes of Kuhl, Cooper, Stacey et al get more game time in these last six or so games. We saw bits of them at the start of the season when we were injury ravaged and all performed well and looked worthy of more involvement in and around the squad (Kuhl especially), but since the season has become only about the cup we should have looked at the youngsters again.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 09 Apr 2015 12:36

Harpers So Solid Crew But we aren't mid table, we are relegation fodder, though would need to lose every game really to go down.

So not relegation fodder then. Roll on the summer when hopefully the over-paid egos all go, and they are replaced with younger, hungrier players with a point to prove, and whom want to be here. Even if it means another season of struggle, I'd like to be able to bond with a Reading team again. It's been a long time since that happened!

teignmouth hoops

by teignmouth hoops » 09 Apr 2015 13:12

Coppelled_Streets

So not relegation fodder then. Roll on the summer when hopefully the over-paid egos all go, and they are replaced with younger, hungrier players with a point to prove, and whom want to be here. Even if it means another season of struggle, I'd like to be able to bond with a Reading team again. It's been a long time since that happened!

The sad thing is the overpaid ego's of which Pog & HRK are two, won't move on because nobody will be stupid enough to pay them what they are getting here, so we will be saddled with them for another year

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 09 Apr 2015 13:22

Clarke basically admitted today that there are issues within the squad with his comments to the press today.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 09 Apr 2015 13:28

ZacNaloen Clarke basically admitted today that there are issues within the squad with his comments to the press today.

“The reason I got the job was the team wasn’t functioning very well under the previous manager.

“Results weren’t very good and I don’t think that much has changed. So it probably says a lot about the squad we have just now.

“Can I pinpoint it (what’s wrong)? Yes. But it’s not for publication.

“I know exactly where I want to go in the summer. But the summer takes care of itself. We’ve got seven games left, hopefully eight. That’s all I’m focused on now.”

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 09 Apr 2015 13:30

Clarke is the man to turn it round - once we are mathematically safe, I'm sure we will see some youngsters given a run out

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Apr 2015 18:06

I just hope he's able to deal with the problems and they're not handcuffed to us. Makes further mockery of the 'it's all Adkins fault' argument.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 09 Apr 2015 19:08

Sadly that's right Ian.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Apr 2015 20:27

I have really enjoyed the rise to this level that we have now apparently "slipped from"

Can barely remember a season since when Pardew took over that we haven't been involved in something.......(promotions/play-offs/relegations/narrowly missing out on play-off places) it's been great.

For the times before that?...........well (with the exception of the 13 wins and the Simod) a simple 13th place finish in the "old" division one was the best that we have ever achieved, you just had to be there.

As crap as this season is, a season of mediocrity with an FA Cup S/F has kind've been perversely enjoyable.

Chill down cocksuckers

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 09 Apr 2015 20:50

Platypuss
ZacNaloen Clarke basically admitted today that there are issues within the squad with his comments to the press today.

“The reason I got the job was the team wasn’t functioning very well under the previous manager.

“Results weren’t very good and I don’t think that much has changed. So it probably says a lot about the squad we have just now.

“Can I pinpoint it (what’s wrong)? Yes. But it’s not for publication.

“I know exactly where I want to go in the summer. But the summer takes care of itself. We’ve got seven games left, hopefully eight. That’s all I’m focused on now.”

See this is why I like him. No fcuking about & he calls a spade a spade. Can't wait for him to rip the squad apart & start afresh. He has the minerals to do it & will make the tough but absolutely necessary decisions. He's not their mate.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 10 Apr 2015 01:33

Hmm. Wonder who the beef lies with? Reckon it's to do with wages some of their colleagues are on and not really shifting their w8?

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 10 Apr 2015 06:50

AthleticoSpizz I have really enjoyed the rise to this level that we have now apparently "slipped from"

Can barely remember a season since when Pardew took over that we haven't been involved in something.......(promotions/play-offs/relegations/narrowly missing out on play-off places) it's been great.

For the times before that?...........well (with the exception of the 13 wins and the Simod) a simple 13th place finish in the "old" division one was the best that we have ever achieved, you just had to be there.

As crap as this season is, a season of mediocrity with an FA Cup S/F has kind've been perversely enjoyable.

Chill down cocksuckers

Good post, well said. Our newer fans have been spoilt.

teignmouth hoops

by teignmouth hoops » 10 Apr 2015 09:26

Coppelled_Streets
AthleticoSpizz I have really enjoyed the rise to this level that we have now apparently "slipped from"

Chill down cocksuckers

Good post, well said. Our newer fans have been spoilt.

Yep partially agree with that
But having followed the Royals for over 40 years, have seen both sides, and surely we'd progressed big time and don't want to be back to crap mediocrity as I don't find that remotely enjoyable, wondering how many Bournemouth and Arsenal are going to knock past us

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 10 Apr 2015 09:41

Ian Royal I just hope he's able to deal with the problems and they're not handcuffed to us. Makes further mockery of the 'it's all Adkins fault' argument.

Not necessarily. Without knowing what the problems are it's just not possible to say that Adkins could or couldn't sort it out - or might be responsible.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 10 Apr 2015 09:58

Tony Le Mesmer since we moved to the Madejski, we have had 13 seasons in the football league, with 13 top half finishes. Our worst finishing position in 10 championship seasons is 9th. finishing positions 11, 10, 3, 2, 4, 9, 7, 1, 4, 9, 5, 1, 7.

Yes, we've slipped, but from a great height.

Some of those were in the league below where we now sit, so surely they count as worse (in performance terms) than this season?