Summer Rebuild

1897 posts
Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Summer Rebuild

by Norfolk Royal » 28 May 2015 12:19

Surely the real prize in any further development near the stadium is the obligatory Spoons.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 28 May 2015 12:54

Punching above your weight much? Oof.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 28 May 2015 12:56

Not a homo, but Jem is a pretty good looking guy ... so not sure it's just the money she's attracted to ...

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 28 May 2015 13:00

Norfolk Royal Surely the real prize in any further development near the stadium is the obligatory Spoons.

This might well have been the best post I've ever seen on this forum - submit the plans now!

Back to the squad, do we think any of the QPR deadwood they've just chucked out could be of any use to us? This list of six released:
Rio Ferdinand, Joey Barton, Richard Dunne, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Bobby Zamora, Brian Murphy.

Personally I'd be happy with Zamora and SWP on year long deals

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 28 May 2015 13:02

Royalwaster Not a homo, but Jem is a pretty good looking guy ... so not sure it's just the money she's attracted to ...

Bit scrawny though.

Erm, I can see Nicky Hammond screwing us over with Zamora.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 May 2015 14:19

John Smith
Norfolk Royal Surely the real prize in any further development near the stadium is the obligatory Spoons.

This might well have been the best post I've ever seen on this forum - submit the plans now!

Back to the squad, do we think any of the QPR deadwood they've just chucked out could be of any use to us? This list of six released:
Rio Ferdinand, Joey Barton, Richard Dunne, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Bobby Zamora, Brian Murphy.

SWP is on huge wages, and has been more than willing to sit around doing nothing for the past two and a half years.

Zamora would be a risk with injury (and wages) but I'd take him, he's got some quality.

Dunne and Ferdinand might well look to retire, but perhaps we could persuade one to join us for one last hurrah if Pearce goes. Two Ferdinands at centre back?

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 28 May 2015 14:31

Seems it going to take quite some time to sink in but John Madejski doesn't really care about Reading FC.

Loads of reasons these conspiracy theories are implausible - "Sir John wouldn't allow it" isn't one of them.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 28 May 2015 14:33

SCIAG
John Smith

SWP is on huge wages, and has been more than willing to sit around doing nothing for the past two and a half years.

Zamora would be a risk with injury (and wages) but I'd take him, he's got some quality.

Dunne and Ferdinand might well look to retire, but perhaps we could persuade one to join us for one last hurrah if Pearce goes. Two Ferdinands at centre back?

Perfect for the current Reading mould then, wouldn't you say?

You're right though. They can all sod off to the MLS

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 28 May 2015 14:36

Coppelled_Streets Punching above your weight much? Oof.

:shock:

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 28 May 2015 14:49

Extended-Phenotype Seems it going to take quite some time to sink in but John Madejski doesn't really care about Reading FC.

Loads of reasons these conspiracy theories are implausible - "Sir John wouldn't allow it" isn't one of them.

John has his knighthood and now his money. His interest will naturally wane. In return we got a shiny stadium that bears his name and some time in the Premiership. If Ofsted were to review his tenure it certainly wouldn't be "outstanding". Probably just scraping "good" TBH.

Angry Shed Sex
Hob Nob Regular

by Angry Shed Sex » 28 May 2015 14:51

Oh, and +1 for Jem's GF. The ASS worldy seal of approval.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 28 May 2015 14:54

Extended-Phenotype Seems it going to take quite some time to sink in but John Madejski doesn't really care about Reading FC.

Didn't say he wouldn't allow it because he loves RFC No. 13 URRZZZZ etc.

I just think he cares too much about his reputation/legacy to fcuk up the sale for a second time.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 28 May 2015 16:25

Regarding the training dome, I remember the club saying that the original plan was to move it to the current training ground but changed their plans as since it's introduction it had actually turned into a revenue generating asset with local teams/organisations hiring it and they would therefore lose that revenue if they moved it out of the Reading area. I guess they also saved on relocation costs but perhaps incurred some additional travel costs between the stadium and training ground.

Now they may decide to move it, if the revenue to be gained from using the land for other means outweighs the revenue from the dome.

Samrfc01

by Samrfc01 » 28 May 2015 17:15

My mate (yeah i know) works at the dome and covers the bookings in the evenings. He's been told that he probably won't have a job there in 18 months time because Reading will be getting rid of it.

Obviously whether you choose to believe that or not is upto you, but it certainly fits in with the new training ground and the Thais wanting to redevelop the surrounding area.

Personally I couldn't care less with what they do as long as they invest in the Football side of things and build a couple of pubs (have noticed the suggestion of a spoons).

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 28 May 2015 18:54

The asset strip strap conspiracy theory doesn't seem credible to me. The Thais' main motiviation is showing the club off as a way of building business connections; they can't do that if we're playing at New Elm Park in front of 5000 against Tranmere and Aldershot.

As was raised when that Israeli was looking to take us over a year ago, there are questions about whether the land could host an Oracle-type facility. I'm also not sure the town would support another one - Broad Street Mall is pretty dilapidated and even the Oracle has several empty lots.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 28 May 2015 20:20

Although an out of town retail park a la Bluewater would drag in people from miles around, particularly with the favourable road link of the M4. It would impact the Oracle but not as badly as some might think probably.

I stayed at the hotel for three days over Crimbo and did some running around that area. Found it a bit puzzling that many of the huge office buildings seemed empty although that can change quickly as the economy comes out of the trough its been in for the last seven years.

Although there were huge office buildings empty it also seemed to me that it was a bit cut off and soulless. If you're creating a vast employment area you also need a bit of something else to attract people in, not just a deserted vista.

It seemed to me that a lot of the land around there is pretty much scrub and ripe for development, depending on who owns it and planning guidelines etc.

Wouldn't be surprised if something big happens there. For the Thais, as someone else said, I would see the football club as complimentary to that. Free tickets etc for big rent payers, executive boxes, it's all so obvious. And a spoons.

BonBoh

by BonBoh » 28 May 2015 21:45

Put another Bicester-style outlet there and watch the rich tourist flock in via Heathrow...It would ensure Saturday mayhem - even if off the pitch. :lol:

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 28 May 2015 22:39

SCIAG The asset strip strap conspiracy theory doesn't seem credible to me. The Thais' main motiviation is showing the club off as a way of building business connections; they can't do that if we're playing at New Elm Park in front of 5000 against Tranmere and Aldershot.

As was raised when that Israeli was looking to take us over a year ago, there are questions about whether the land could host an Oracle-type facility. I'm also not sure the town would support another one - Broad Street Mall is pretty dilapidated and even the Oracle has several empty lots.

The town doesnt have a bowling alley anymore so that could be one thing. Also with a new train station it would support housing (already planned) and a small retail & pub area, maybe a decent leisure centre / pool. Also dont forget that Hogwood will be sold off too - presumably for housing too.

As long as some fairly decent £ go in to the club I'm not too bothered.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 28 May 2015 23:49

If the Thai's weren't looking to invest in the footballing side of things why did they hire a relatively expensive manager when far cheaper alternatives were available?

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 29 May 2015 07:03

Wycombe Royal If the Thai's weren't looking to invest in the footballing side of things why did they hire a relatively expensive manager when far cheaper alternatives were available?

Agreed. It would have made sense to offer Dolan the job, and in many ways I'd have preferred that too. Next time hopefully.

1897 posts