Summer Rebuild

1897 posts
Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Summer Rebuild

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 May 2015 08:27

Not saying this as support of the conspiracy, but didn't Dolan say he wasn't up for it?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 May 2015 08:41

Think that was when Bri left cos they were BFFs.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 29 May 2015 09:31

Pepe the Horseman Think that was when Bri left cos they were BFFs.

Yeah it was. Then Leeds wanted him and apparently spoke to him. At least he had to sense to say no to that lot! Hopefully he gets the chance and takes it when Clarke goes. (give it till Dec)

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 29 May 2015 10:02

Looks like Pearce could be off to Derby...GTFI as if it wasn't easy enough to take points off the Rams... :mrgreen:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 May 2015 10:15

Yeah cos Pearce is obviously crap :roll:

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 29 May 2015 10:18

Sutekh Yeah cos Pearce is obviously crap :roll:

I don't see too many saying he is crap, but he is vastly over-paid for this level and his ability. He's brave, committed, he'll stick his nut in, but he has no pace and gets turned far too easily. Would he really be that big a loss? Not for me. Thise wages off the wage bill will be good for us and FFP too which opens the door to new prospects coming in on a budget we can sustain.

PeterReadingborn59

by PeterReadingborn59 » 29 May 2015 10:32

Turns8 Looks like Pearce could be off to Derby...GTFI as if it wasn't easy enough to take points off the Rams... :mrgreen:

Well Derby don't have a current Manager so now is a good time as Pearce's stats look reasonable and of cos no transfer fee to pay.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 29 May 2015 10:45

Turns8 Looks like Pearce could be off to Derby...GTFI as if it wasn't easy enough to take points off the Rams... :mrgreen:

Praise the Lord! Anyone who thinks Pearce is anything other than horseshit, sees football, in the immortal words of Brendan, "through a...totally different set of glasses"

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 29 May 2015 11:35

How about this theory

The Thai's buy the club and it's assets for £50m or whatever it was
The Thai's develop/sell assets and raise £50m
The Thai's then have a free football club which can help promote their brand in the UK

IIRC the Madejski stadium land was bought for £1 from the council, The club spent £6m making it safe as it was formerly a refuse tip, they then sold the land that is now B&Q, Currys etc for £6m. This was almost 20 years ago so I imagine land value has increased so I would estimate there is about £8m to be gained from selling off all the car park and dome area as it is with planning permission.

A leisure centre type affair would fit in with the sporting venue, Skating rink, Bowling alley, Cinema, Indoor skydiving, snow dome, go kart track and multistory car park and sports bars would get my vote.... you could even recycle the dome into one of these venues, possibly go karting... or just make it 5 a side courts.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 29 May 2015 11:50

Don't understand why do many are so keen to see the back of players who've done little wrong for us. Sure, Pearce isn't the best defender in the country, or the league. Or maybe not even at the club (although I think he is). But that isn't the point.
Every first team regular that leaves has to be replaced. How do we know that someone equally as good can be found for the same or less money (which is undoubtedly the starting point for our search)? Any signing is a risk, and given the club's dreadful record in the market in the recent past I'd say it's a sizeable risk.
So yeah, cheer at the thought of Pearce leaving but just be careful over what you wish for.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 29 May 2015 12:14

Thomas Sorensen released by Stoke. That'd do if Fodderington falls through.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 29 May 2015 12:14

Coppelled_Streets Thomas Sorensen released by Stoke. That'd do if Fodderington falls through.

retiring

DaddyKuhl

by DaddyKuhl » 29 May 2015 12:17

WoodleyRoyal
Coppelled_Streets Thomas Sorensen released by Stoke. That'd do if Fodderington falls through.

retiring

Reiterating

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 May 2015 12:24

SCIAG The asset strip strap conspiracy theory doesn't seem credible to me. The Thais' main motiviation is showing the club off as a way of building business connections; they can't do that if we're playing at New Elm Park in front of 5000 against Tranmere and Aldershot.

As was raised when that Israeli was looking to take us over a year ago, there are questions about whether the land could host an Oracle-type facility. I'm also not sure the town would support another one - Broad Street Mall is pretty dilapidated and even the Oracle has several empty lots.

I'd agree with that.

I don't doubt for one moment that the Thais have an eye on property development but the club has a ready made profile that can't be manufactured overnight and I think they see it as an integral part of any future Leisure/Retail/entertainment complex rather than a means to an end.

Someone mentioned a bowling alley but one thing Reading also lacks is a decent venue, something like a 5,000 seat indoor arena that could host bands, exhibitions, indoor sports, even an ice rink (try enticing Bracknell Bees away from John Nike).
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 29 May 2015 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 29 May 2015 12:26

wingnut Don't understand why do many are so keen to see the back of players who've done little wrong for us. Sure, Pearce isn't the best defender in the country, or the league. Or maybe not even at the club (although I think he is). But that isn't the point.
Every first team regular that leaves has to be replaced. How do we know that someone equally as good can be found for the same or less money (which is undoubtedly the starting point for our search)? Any signing is a risk, and given the club's dreadful record in the market in the recent past I'd say it's a sizeable risk.
So yeah, cheer at the thought of Pearce leaving but just be careful over what you wish for.

I've been begging it to happen since the most recent title winning side. The bloke isn't a footballer - end of.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 29 May 2015 12:31

"Don't understand why do many are so keen to see the back of players who've done little wrong for us."

Simply for me although he may be 'adequate' a lot of the time the type of player he is holds the team back - like how Morrison and Pearce couldn't play together, his individual contribution may be fine but I don't think he's suited to our needs, Michael Hector has been an absolute revelation and shows what having a more adaptable and dynamic CB can do.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 29 May 2015 12:33

so with current rumours our team next season will look a bit like this....

GK Foderingham
DF Gunter
Hector
Mcshane
Obita
MF Mccleary
Williams
Norwood
Pringle
ST Pogrenyak
????? no one knows

other than the strikers that isn't a bad line up could be a lot worse just need striker situation sorted

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 May 2015 12:36

It's all about the financing. If someone else wants to match his current terms then good luck to them and him. If we can find an equal or better replacement for less money, which I believe is a strong possiblity, then so be it.

Samrfc01

by Samrfc01 » 29 May 2015 12:39

Forbury Lion How about this theory

A leisure centre type affair would fit in with the sporting venue, Skating rink, Bowling alley, Cinema, Indoor skydiving, snow dome, go kart track and multistory car park and sports bars would get my vote.... you could even recycle the dome into one of these venues, possibly go karting... or just make it 5 a side courts.

Agree with most of that. Although a go karting track won;t happen purely because there is one by Makro which is just up the road.

Something definitely needs to be done to the whole area surrounding Green Park and the stadium anyway.

And it DEFINITELY needs a pub.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 29 May 2015 12:49

Samrfc01 And it DEFINITELY needs a pub.

Two; for both home and away fans?

1897 posts