Summer Rebuild

1897 posts
Coppelled_Streets

Re: Summer Rebuild

by Coppelled_Streets » 05 Jun 2015 08:42

Charles Watts gets a lot less 1-2-1 time with the club now and it shows in the reporting. Nothing against him, I prefer him to Fordham, but stories like this just feel like he's reaching for a story. Of course the club had discussions about a budget by now. You don't don't go releasing anyone until you know what you want to keep and what positions need filling. I suspect the meeting is nothing more than a progress update on transfer targets and contract situations. Maybe throw a few more names at each other for who they might like to come in, not forgetting coaching staff.

mumbo-jumbo

by mumbo-jumbo » 05 Jun 2015 09:21

Could it not be that Clarke etc attend the board meeting with their shopping list in hand, meaning a budget meeting then becomes more meaningful, not less, as the board will know what kind of figures are realistically required rather than hypothetical?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Jun 2015 09:52

mumbo-jumbo Could it not be that Clarke etc attend the board meeting with their shopping list in hand, meaning a budget meeting then becomes more meaningful, not less, as the board will know what kind of figures are realistically required rather than hypothetical?

That's what I'm hoping. First discussions immediately after the season finished to set ball park expectations and confirm comings and goings amongst the current squad.

Next SC/NH meeting with players and agents to see where they stand in terms of what is actually wanted out in the real world by their various targets.

Then, next week, a further discussion with the board to advise what is required using more specific figures and spell out what the management feel the ramifications will be if you do this rather than that etc.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 05 Jun 2015 10:03

Coppelled_Streets Charles Watts gets a lot less 1-2-1 time with the club now and it shows in the reporting. Nothing against him, I prefer him to Fordham, but stories like this just feel like he's reaching for a story. Of course the club had discussions about a budget by now. You don't don't go releasing anyone until you know what you want to keep and what positions need filling. I suspect the meeting is nothing more than a progress update on transfer targets and contract situations. Maybe throw a few more names at each other for who they might like to come in, not forgetting coaching staff.

Exactly, budget discussions are ongoing as they would be in any business I would think.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Jun 2015 10:44

Norfolk Royal
Coppelled_Streets Charles Watts gets a lot less 1-2-1 time with the club now and it shows in the reporting. Nothing against him, I prefer him to Fordham, but stories like this just feel like he's reaching for a story. Of course the club had discussions about a budget by now. You don't don't go releasing anyone until you know what you want to keep and what positions need filling. I suspect the meeting is nothing more than a progress update on transfer targets and contract situations. Maybe throw a few more names at each other for who they might like to come in, not forgetting coaching staff.

Exactly, budget discussions are ongoing as they would be in any business I would think.

You'd hope so, and I can't believe Clarke doesn't have the backing to get some business done early as he wants.

As for it not being an issue IF it is true, as tidus suggests, well that's rubbish. In reality clubs are, and have been for a while, talking to players and their agents right now to tie down deals. We can't afford to be a few weeks behind the game if we're looking to decent attract players, especially those who are about to be without a club.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Jun 2015 10:53

Hoop Blah
Norfolk Royal

You'd hope so, and I can't believe Clarke doesn't have the backing to get some business done early as he wants.

As for it not being an issue IF it is true, as tidus suggests, well that's rubbish. In reality clubs are, and have been for a while, talking to players and their agents right now to tie down deals. We can't afford to be a few weeks behind the game if we're looking to decent attract players, especially those who are about to be without a club.

We clearly are talking to players if reports are to believed, the big rumour of course being McShane, what I suggested is we're not going out and agreeing transfer fees early because we've had to get through our contracts, work out what we need as a priority before we spend limited funds.

We've not got the flexibility of other clubs, most notably Premier League clubs.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 05 Jun 2015 10:54

Charles Watts is an Arsenal fan, therefore anything he says or does has absolutely no value to me whatsoever. May he be shunned by the club for as long as he is employed in that role.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Jun 2015 11:08

tidus_mi2 We've not got the flexibility of other clubs, most notably Premier League clubs.

We're not, presumably, competing with Premier League clubs though. If the report is to believed (and I don't think it is) and we don't have budget in place it's a problem and far too late in the day to be setting budgets down.

It's not too late in the day to be trying to evolve those budgets or tweak the strategy based on the players leaving or conversations we're having with some of our targets, but to think it's fine for the manager not to have a clue as to what his budget is at this stage is a little bizarre.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 05 Jun 2015 12:31

tidius_mi2 they scout the players, they can estimate how much a player is worth and have that all on record, if it turns out later that the budget won't allow for a player then they can't go for him.

What if another club - y'know, one which had already decided its budget for 2015/16 - gets in first while we are awaiting the outcome of our own meeting :?: We appear to be fiddling whilst Rome burns.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Jun 2015 12:41

It's not particulalry credible, but it's just one more negative piece of news helping to nail closed the coffin lid of our chances neXt season.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 05 Jun 2015 12:50

A manager would have input into the budget, He may decide that we need to sign a goalkeeper and a decent one will cost us £x then that will be built into the budget.... Sure there may be some discussions about whether we can save some money here or there and they may decide they can't afford a decent one, so perhaps a half decent one will do.

The manager/DoF have to determine what signings are required to achieve the objectives set out by the board, that's the second part of budget process, the first part is the board telling them what the objectives are - Different players/cost required for a title push versus avoiding relegation.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Jun 2015 13:50

I guess the reality is that Clarke may not want to start using up his budget signing new players when he doesn't know who is going to be leaving / staying.

E.g. if Pearce had ended up staying he wouldn't need to use up some of his budget on a CD, and might therefore be able to use more funds to get a better player in a different position than would otherwise have been the case.

It's not ideal but when funds are tight and FFP looms you have to play a bit of a waiting game.

I wouldn't be surprised if until recently Clarke's main focus on incoming players had been to get some deals lined up on the extended term loan market.

We shall see.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 05 Jun 2015 14:17

floyd__streete We appear to be fiddling whilst Rome burns.

"...we're on fire, lets build some hydrants..."

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 05 Jun 2015 15:59

Do you think we may be able to offload Blackman and Akpan to Adkins at Sheffield he was always an admirer of the pair might even get some money for them, 2 million for the pair would be gd, go towards a decent striker

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 05 Jun 2015 16:02

He didn't rate Akpan at all.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 05 Jun 2015 16:03

linkenholtroyal Do you think we may be able to offload Blackman and Akpan to Adkins at Sheffield he was always an admirer of the pair might even get some money for them, 2 million for the pair would be gd, go towards a decent striker

2 mill are you on the windup? doubt we would get 500k for the pair

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 05 Jun 2015 16:12

good enough salesman and we could sell ice to the inuits, just show that one long range goal against Swansea to them for blackman. and just say that akpan is the next yaya toure sorted

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 05 Jun 2015 16:17

linkenholtroyal good enough salesman and we could sell ice to the inuits, just show that one long range goal against Swansea to them for blackman. and just say that akpan is the next yaya toure sorted

literally the most racist thing ever written

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 05 Jun 2015 16:19

OK HES THE NEXT STEVEN GERRARD OR IS THAT RACIST TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 05 Jun 2015 16:23

linkenholtroyal Do you think we may be able to offload Blackman and Akpan to Adkins at Sheffield he was always an admirer of the pair might even get some money for them, 2 million for the pair would be gd, go towards a decent striker

Blackman came from Sheff United didn't he...I think this could happen, and I'd fully support it too

1897 posts