IS STEVE CLARKE STILL AROUND?

MR. CYNICAL

IS STEVE CLARKE STILL AROUND?

by MR. CYNICAL » 18 Jun 2015 22:36

Since the last season ended in April, we have not heard a peep out of Steve Clarke. This was a man who was not going to have a holiday and was going to get his transfer business done early, yet we have signed no one even though many have been released/joined other clubs. The silence is deafening!
We have no goalkeepers, goalscorers, even Makie is not coming back and we have a tour coming up in 2 weeks.
I thought last summer was bad enough.
Worrying times.

OldBiscuit

Re: IS STEVE CLARKE STILL AROUND?

by OldBiscuit » 18 Jun 2015 22:41

MR. CYNICAL Since the last season ended in April, we have not heard a peep out of Steve Clarke. This was a man who was not going to have a holiday and was going to get his transfer business done early, yet we have signed no one even though many have been released/joined other clubs. The silence is deafening!
We have no goalkeepers, goalscorers, even Makie is not coming back and we have a tour coming up in 2 weeks.
Worrying times.

Relax, it's still early days, but yes, the silence is deafening.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 18 Jun 2015 22:43

I don't think anybody would begrudge him a holiday. He's not a robot.

And, FYI, he's the only person at the club we've heard from since April. He commented on Hector's new contract.

I'd ask if Nicky Hammond was still around, because he should be commenting on players leaving and lack of signings.

Or the media department, for still not confirming the backroom staff leaving...

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 18 Jun 2015 22:51

Anyone got a list of all the transfers in from the other clubs in the league as way of comparison? Just to get people to chill the fcuk out.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 18 Jun 2015 23:00

MR. CYNICAL Since the last season ended in April, we have not heard a peep out of Steve Clarke. This was a man who was not going to have a holiday and was going to get his transfer business done early, yet we have signed no one even though many have been released/joined other clubs. The silence is deafening!
Worrying times.

I have an Idea, why don't you just re-hash every post from HNA? and make a new thread about it?

Clarke isn't going to comment every day like a war commentator FFS.

As others have posted, Hammond has been so so quiet for the last few months. I rate him but I think his role has been diluted.

MR. CYNICAL

by MR. CYNICAL » 19 Jun 2015 00:03

Sorry, next time I want to make a comment i will ask you for permission first!

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 19 Jun 2015 00:19

Nah bruv, but Clarke was the last one out the door and he turned the lights off for us.

See you in the ryman league

theroyalsaregoingup

by theroyalsaregoingup » 19 Jun 2015 08:32

Surley the bloke's allowed a holiday it's not as if you're hearing much from other managers at the moment

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 19 Jun 2015 11:35

I saw him in Center Parcs last week cycling then enjoying a morning croissant. He's got our best interest at heart, he's just chilling out.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 19 Jun 2015 11:56

11 ninute interview on Reading player. Says he is hopeful on 2 or 3 players in the not too distant future, No announcements until signed

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Jun 2015 13:39

theroyalsaregoingup Surley the bloke's allowed a holiday it's not as if you're hearing much from other managers at the moment

No one says he can't have a holiday. He's the mouthy gobshite who said he wouldn't be taking one to sort out our problems and that we'd be no where near relegation this coming season. He's then promptly gone very quite as our squad gets drastically weaker.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 19 Jun 2015 13:39

Clarke was in the US recently talking to the ginger chap from Hull, which begs the question, where's Hammond?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 19 Jun 2015 13:46

Coppelled_Streets Clarke was in the US recently talking to the ginger chap from Hull, which begs the question, where's Hammond?
Down the gym trying to get into shape as he may end up playing in goal for us next season if we don't sign anyone

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 19 Jun 2015 13:55

JC 11 ninute interview on Reading player. Says he is hopeful on 2 or 3 players in the not too distant future, No announcements until signed

:lol: @ this thread

Magic Hat

by Magic Hat » 19 Jun 2015 14:07

He never said he wasn't taking a holiday. He said something along the lines of his wife wouldn't be happy he wouldn't be spending much time on the beach.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 19 Jun 2015 14:28

13:15 19th June 2015

Boss hopeful of adding to squad in coming weeks
Steve Clarke has provided a transfer update ahead of the start of pre-season, with the Royals squad due to return to training next week.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with Reading FC Player, which fans can watch by clicking here, the manager explained that a lot of work is going on behind the scenes, and he hopes that it will be rewarded in the coming weeks.

“It would give the place a lift to get one or two signings through the door,” he said. “There hasn’t been much talk in the press and we did that purposely, I’m not one to comment on rumours, but I can assure the supporters that we are working really hard to try and get some more players in the building.

“If we could get two or three in before we head off to Thailand then it would be brilliant for everyone at the club.

“Some are closer than others and some that have fallen away might come back up again; you never know. It’s such a long period of time and the transfer window hasn’t officially opened yet but we are working hard.

“We know that we need to add to the squad. When I go into my office at the moment, the squad is threadbare and we know that we need to get some business done in the next few weeks.”

Reading defender Michael Hector penned a new three-year contract earlier this month and the club have also secured the futures of Dominic Samuel and U21s players Stuart Moore, Pierce Sweeney and Sammi Fridjonsson.

Clarke said: “It’s been a busy summer. As said at the end of last season, I told the wife that she wouldn’t get too many days away and it has proved that way! I’ve stuck to that promise.

“The phone never stops and emails never stop coming in. I’ve travelled quite a bit to bump into a few people and it has been a different summer.

“It’s been a bit frustrating so far and a lot of work still needs to be done. We want to start the season positively and kick on from there. A lot has been done already and hopefully we’ll see the rewards in the coming weeks.”

Last edited by Coppelled_Streets on 19 Jun 2015 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 19 Jun 2015 14:45

And doesn't his 'transfer update' sound oh so familiar to those given by all of the other poor sods that have preceded him! Part two will be how we tried hard but there just weren't any players available who would add anything to what we have already got. :twisted:

Mind you, making part two fly will be a lot harder than before, given that we don't even have a senior keeper signed up!

Samrfc01

by Samrfc01 » 19 Jun 2015 14:51

RoyalBlue And doesn't his 'transfer update' sound oh so familiar to those given by all of the other poor sods that have preceded him! Part two will be how we tried hard but there just weren't any players available who would add anything to what we have already got. :twisted:

Mind you, making part two fly will be a lot harder than before, given that we don't even have a senior keeper signed up!

Oh give it a rest.

We knew this summer would involve a massive shake-up. Tranfers don't happen overnight.

The season doesn't start until the 8th August.

Rollerbob

by Rollerbob » 19 Jun 2015 14:55

Pepe the Horseman Anyone got a list of all the transfers in from the other clubs in the league as way of comparison? Just to get people to chill the fcuk out.

In short:

- Us and 7 others haven't signed anyone..
- 10 Teams have only signed one player.

So yeah.. There is nothing to worry about yet.

DaveBanana

by DaveBanana » 19 Jun 2015 15:37

Everyone would be absolutely shatting themselves had we signed a few players early doors, then let Feds, Pearce and potentially Jem go and suddenly not had budget to fill those slots. He alludes to the rumours in there that we're absolutely doomed (or thats my interpretation) and that actually we do have a few things bubbling away.