Summer Rebuild

1897 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Summer Rebuild

by Ian Royal » 22 Jun 2015 21:38

NewCorkSeth
Ian Royal
SCIAG Missing Cummings, HRK, and McCarthy. Presuming Murray and Norwood are deliberately excluded because they didn't join until after Morrison left.

Yeah, fair catch, I thought I'd miss a couple. Forgot to check when McCarthy left. Spot on for Murray and Norwood.

Still, it's hardly a huge difference. Particularly when you factor in who was fit.

Andersen too? Still I completely agree with you were not far off last summer

Not by Andrew's rules... he'd not played any significant number of games at a high enough level.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 22 Jun 2015 22:48

Hi Ian

So unless I am missing something you agree that there were about 20-21 experienced players here this time last year ( I would say Andersen and Hector "should" be included as experienced then as both had played a large number of games on loan whereas Kuhl, Stacey and Cooper have never been on loan).

Surely this backs up my point rather than detracting from it in that we are much thinner on the ground this summer.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 22 Jun 2015 23:57

Its a shame we cant sign Lucy Bronze up.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 23 Jun 2015 08:03

Royal Rother I completely agree with you.

Trouble is, I'm in doubt that Clarke is the man for the job. I think he'd rather play Chelsea's academy graduates than our own.

If they're better than ours then I'd hope so too.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 23 Jun 2015 08:34

Lacoste
howser Liked the Clarke comment that if the deals arn't done in the next few days then the players concerned will look elsewhere, nice way of forcing the issue. How the hell we haven't got the green light to get some new blood yet amazes me, it's not like the transfer window has ben thrust upon us at 5 minutes notice, for goodness sake this should have been sorted weeks ago, and there is the aroma of a money shortage. I wonder if they are not forthcoming where that leaves Clarke ? he must have had some guarantee of available finance prior to accepting the job, would he walk away ? I don't think anyone could complain if he did ?

Having heard the interview with Adie, I have a new found respect for Clarke. Whether I believe he can do a good job or not is irrelevant. It's more about the club and how it's being run. He came here in good faith and sounds like he's being completely fu cked by the Thai's.

Some comments which stand out have to be:

He says he should have pushed the Thai's for more cash in January,

He clearly hints at needing a minimum of 5 new players this summer (and that he'd be happy to work with the team if he gets them), Have to assume he'll consider is future if he doesn't. Better to leave without a pay off but have some credibility in tact. He'd be employed again however if he waits, new employers would only see a history of poor results.

Gives the Thai's a bit of fear of loss saying we'll miss out if we don't act fast.

Clearly says he STILL doesn't know if he has a budget because he I STILL waiting to find out.

Says that if he doesn't get the players he ordered or wants, he'll tell us.

All in all he is pushing the blame well and truly into their court. He is showing some balls so that if things don't work out the way he hopes, the blame will clearly lay at the feet of our owners. I like the way that he's forcing the issue with them and either way now, they have to make a decision.

Well done Steve

Great post, and couldn't agree more. I don't think he'll be here long. I like managers that say it how it is, but I suspect the Thai's will want someone less outspoken.

under the tin

by under the tin » 23 Jun 2015 09:28

Ian Royal They've played as a team, (the academy lads) so keep them as a team as much as possible, within reason.

Clearly we need signings, although buying half a new team is rarely a good move.
They're less likely to gel than putting in 5 Academy graduates. who have played together before

Surely playing Academy graduates here, gets them BETTER experience than sending them out on loan to a lower level. :|

Completely agree.
What is needed, if this is the route the club goes down, is an experienced, Parkinsonesque leader to pick these lads up when things are not going well.
We have not had that kind of player within the squad for several years. It's been a case of if we concede a goal, Reading are beaten, even when the side was full of experienced pro's.
The team needs flair, but it also needs grit and a heart.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Jun 2015 09:28

I listened to the interview and I do like the cut of Clarkes jib.

In the past I think the likes of Coppell and McDermott were sometimes a bit too nicey nicey with the powers that be when they weren't possibly getting the support they wanted. I don't want a manager to just be bitching and moaning about needing more all the time, but I do want him to stand up for what he wants, put some pressure on if he's not getting it and be honest with the fans when he can be.

So far I think Clarke is getting it about right.

Some interesting comments from him about his shake up on and off the pitch. It sounds like he felt there was too much of a comfortable atmosphere and too much acceptance of defeat and that's what he needed to change.

Still, it's all going to come down to how much the owners back him and how well he spends whatever budget he does get.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 23 Jun 2015 09:44

Hoop Blah I listened to the interview and I do like the cut of Clarkes jib.

In the past I think the likes of Coppell and McDermott were sometimes a bit too nicey nicey with the powers that be when they weren't possibly getting the support they wanted. I don't want a manager to just be bitching and moaning about needing more all the time, but I do want him to stand up for what he wants, put some pressure on if he's not getting it and be honest with the fans when he can be.

So far I think Clarke is getting it about right.

Some interesting comments from him about his shake up on and off the pitch. It sounds like he felt there was too much of a comfortable atmosphere and too much acceptance of defeat and that's what he needed to change.

Still, it's all going to come down to how much the owners back him and how well he spends whatever budget he does get.

100% Agreed.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 23 Jun 2015 09:45

I remember Rogers moaning about lack of funding, that was after he made a number of signings. This is different, Clarke has lost players and needs to sign players just to get back to have a chance of avoiding relegation, So it's only right he should be vocal about the lack of support.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 23 Jun 2015 10:18

Starting to get a bit concerned that we are being linked heavily to Quinn yet no signing days later. From what I read it seemed to be a reliable rumour.

Also concerned that nearly 2 months after the season ending we have lost key first team players and not signed anyone.

I can imagine starting the new season with no new players or some lower quality replacements who won't be enough.

I also feel that we could after the first 2-3 months of the new season, look back on our squad from last year and think how good they were (on paper) compared to the squad we may have.

If we finished in such a low position last year then I just worry it may get worse.

However I guess it's still Lots of time to make changes, so will just keep my fingers crossed!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Jun 2015 10:50

It doesn't matter how good last years squad looked on paper, they performed very poorly and it needs to be addressed. We still can't afford some of the players and their wages we're lumbered with and so the squad has to be stripped back.

It's not concerning that we haven't announced players as signed yet, or that rumoured signings have yet been confirmed. It is a bit worrying that the manager is already making noises that his hands are being tied and that the owners need to be more decisive or we will start to lose out on his targets.

IMO, it will only really get worrying in a couple of weeks time if we haven't bought in at least the 3 players Clarke is expecting and if he hasn't got a bit of room to work with bringing in 2 or 3 more.

For me it's not so much about the perceived quality of the players, we've all seen how people can have bizarre perceptions of the quality of the likes of Pearce who's then gone on to win two promotions from this division or Robson-Kanu who's gone on to continually under-perform. It's so much more about the quality of the team and momentum that Clarke can build and that doesn't need a load of superstars like Guthrie and Drenthe to put it together.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 23 Jun 2015 11:10

bobby1413 Starting to get a bit concerned that we are being linked heavily to Quinn yet no signing days later. From what I read it seemed to be a reliable rumour.

As SC said, we need the go-ahead from the Thai's in the next couple of days otherwise he and the other two will go elsewhere. I expect SC will also go elsewhere if they let him down.

Baggie192

Clarke interview observations from an outsider

by Baggie192 » 23 Jun 2015 12:17

Off work due to illness, giving the Clarke Ascott interview a listen. Your goalkeeping coach sacked? Is Dean Kiely coming in? Clarke when talking about finances, sounds like he did when he was with us. BUT, at the end of the second Summer window. When Peace was beginning to lose faith in him, but, ultimately stumped £13m for him. You need at least 5-7 players. Clarke can't afford to fail at Reading like he did at ours or his days as Head Coach/Manager maybe numbered. Barbed comments towards the owners may not be the smartest move. Your cup run covered a multitude of sins. A club like Reading shouldn't be 19th in the championship. There's no club of comparable size anywhere close (like Vile, Blues or the 5h1t) We're facing a possible takeover and don't know how to feel about it. I wish you luck next season

Lacoste

Re: Clarke interview observations from an outsider

by Lacoste » 23 Jun 2015 12:20

Thanks for creating a new thread for no reason what so ever.

We liked his interview and given what's going on, we think it's fair.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 23 Jun 2015 12:26

I agree and thankyou for your insight Baggie, ignore Lacoste - he is a moron.

I am not convinced so far. Sacking the goalkeeping coach which bought through McCarthy, Federici and worked with Hamer is not a good move. Dean Keily might of been a better goalkeeper than Bibbo, but great players dont make great managers and coaches. Look at the likes of John Barnes, Tony Adams and James Beattie to name a few.

I cant see him getting any money here anyway. I think by the end of October he will be offski anyway

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 23 Jun 2015 12:34

You're not an outsider though are you? You're a WBA fan with an agenda against Clarke.....

Thanks for the concern but I have no concerns re: Clarke - my main worries are with finances & ownership. Clarke was asked questions & he answered as honestly as he could. If he didn't people would moan about him talking rubbish like Bodgers & Adkins did.

In for another odd season I feel but if Clarke stays, I think we'll do better than last time. Reading being 19th was not solely down to Clarke. I'm reasonably sure you didn't watch every game under Clarke. If you had, you'd have seen a fairly decent uplift in our performances.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 23 Jun 2015 12:44

Clarke is doing as good a job as any. If you don't give a manager players or money then what can you expect?

This has odours of Coventry City 2011/12 campaign about it

Baggie192

by Baggie192 » 23 Jun 2015 12:47

Reading4eva I agree and thankyou for your insight Baggie, ignore Lacoste - he is a moron.

I am not convinced so far. Sacking the goalkeeping coach which bought through McCarthy, Federici and worked with Hamer is not a good move. Dean Keily might of been a better goalkeeper than Bibbo, but great players dont make great managers and coaches. Look at the likes of John Barnes, Tony Adams and James Beattie to name a few.

I cant see him getting any money here anyway. I think by the end of October he will be offski anyway

I bring up Kiely as he was hired by Hodgson with Keen as our goalkeeping coach and stayed with Clarke. Seems wierd that Bibbo would get the elbow. Unless, It was Kiely who going to make up his backroom. any idea who the 2 and a half deals that were close are? I don't think he'll walk unless he's totally shafted, but, he also made barbed comments. They could work against him. I actually quite like Clarke contray to what you may think

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 23 Jun 2015 12:53

Baggie192
Reading4eva I agree and thankyou for your insight Baggie, ignore Lacoste - he is a moron.

I bring up Kiely as he was hired by Hodgson with Keen as our goalkeeping coach and stayed with Clarke. Seems wierd that Bibbo would get the elbow. Unless, It was Kiely who going to make up his backroom. any idea who the 2 and a half deals that were close are? I don't think he'll walk unless he's totally shafted, but, he also made barbed comments. They could work against him. I actually quite like Clarke contray to what you may think

Local press think Foderingham (ex Swindon keeper), Stephen Quinn (Hull) and the ginger Hull defender that I can't now remember...

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 23 Jun 2015 12:53

Coppelled_Streets
Baggie192

Local press think Foderingham (ex Swindon keeper), Stephen Quinn (Hull) and the ginger Hull defender that I can't now remember...

Kiely and Beasant have both been mentioned as possibles coming in.

1897 posts