The countdown to Ian Harte scoring 10+ league goals

287 posts
CayeneMatt

Re: The countdown to Ian Harte scoring 10+ league goals

by CayeneMatt » 24 Aug 2011 10:50

Big Foot I fear that he actually could retire before the season is over

He looks completely disinterested - point in reference him jogging back to the goal vs Barnsley for their 2nd goal

Wonder whether his new kid has affected him? Maybe thinking more about spending more time with his family?

He could be sulking over a contract. BM said in an interview on the Player that there were issues regarding his wages which were stalling a contract extention. Or words to that effect . He's obviously getting them cut with a view to him not being first choice in the long term (or short term at this rate!)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Aug 2011 12:01

He looks completely disinterested - point in reference him jogging back to the goal vs Barnsley for their 2nd goal

Wonder whether his new kid has affected him? Maybe thinking more about spending more time with his family?

I think it has to. He wasn't great defensively last season, but he's been an utter shambles in both the games I've seen this season. He can't have suddenly lost his positioning, awareness, heading and tackling ability in three months.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Aug 2011 12:30

Ian Royal

I think it has to. He wasn't great defensively last season, but he's been an utter shambles in both the games I've seen this season. He can't have suddenly lost his positioning, awareness, heading and tackling ability in three months.

I don't think it's much of a difference to last year, although he's been more obviously caught out a few times already.

As some of us alluded to last season, his deficiencies were being well covered by his team mates (a good bit of management by McDermott at the time) but that's changed this season. He no longer has Kishanishvilli and Mills covering behind him and that's probably having quite an effect, not only on them covering him but also what he needs to do to cover others.

Listen to McDermott last night and he says how the team isn't defending as a unit at the moment, that they're not covering each others mistakes (as I think I also pointed out recently btw!). That's more the issue than a massive slump in Harte's form (there is,without doubt, a slump though).

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Aug 2011 12:33

Oh yes, the entire defence was woeful as a unit last night, but Harte and Khumalo were terrible. Much below even their ropey showing against Millwall.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 24 Aug 2011 12:36

It's more than that Ideal, Harte did make tackles last season, and win the ball. He could also pass.

He couldn't do any of that last night.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 27 Aug 2011 21:10

Harte apparently was partly at faulty for the goal today, allowing the winger to get onto his stronger foot and generally slow, ponderous and a liability.

Will the last person who doesn't think he should be dropped - CayeneMatt? - please switch the light off on this thread.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 27 Aug 2011 21:10

Harte apparently was partly at faulty for the goal today, allowing the winger to get onto his stronger foot and generally slow, ponderous and a liability.

Will the last person who doesn't think he should be dropped - CayeneMatt? - please switch the light off on this thread.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 27 Aug 2011 22:00

floyd__streete Harte apparently was partly at faulty for the goal today, allowing the winger to get onto his stronger foot and generally slow, ponderous and a liability.

Hopefully McDermott has finally lost patience with the snail. Today he was unusually highly critical of an individual player in a post match interview stating clearly that the Hull goal was the left back's fault.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Aug 2011 22:10

I can only think McDermott wanted to give Harte one more chance and work a bit more with Mills in training, plus give him a few more minutes before introducing him to the starting line up.

bripps

by bripps » 27 Aug 2011 22:11

Who to replace Harte with ? Mills Mk2 or Williams?

I always thought Williams looked a good player for Scunthorpe but has been nothing but terrible on his limited outings for us. I've never seen Mills Mk2 play. Reports indicate he was ok when he came on against Charlton in the week.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 27 Aug 2011 22:12

Ian Royal I can only think McDermott wanted to give Harte one more chance and work a bit more with Mills in training, plus give him a few more minutes before introducing him to the starting line up.

You might be right and that last chance ended on 82 minutes today. 1-0 down and we replace our left back with another one.

Hopefully he will now retire Griffin too. Even a semi-fit Cummings is better than him. Failing that let's put Jem at right back for the time being.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Aug 2011 22:15

bripps Who to replace Harte with ? Mills Mk2 or Williams?

I always thought Williams looked a good player for Scunthorpe but has been nothing but terrible on his limited outings for us. I've never seen Mills Mk2 play. Reports indicate he was ok when he came on against Charlton in the week.

He was, although hard to judge on a short performance in a team that had fallen apart completely long before he got on the pitch. Not perfect by any stretch, but quick, and therefore able to help McAnuff out by overlapping and still get back. Quick enough to not require his CB to spend the whole game covering in behind him because he's gotten beaten for pace again.

He'll make mistakes, but the sooner he gets a run of games under his belt with us, the sooner the mistakes will start drying up.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 27 Aug 2015 11:59

Retired today - absolute class act for us, just seen on Wikipedia he notched 15 league goals in 88 league games for us, 1 in 6....a better record than most of our current strikers have.

Brilliant servant to us in the twilight of his career

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 27 Aug 2015 12:06

Big Foot Retired today - absolute class act for us, just seen on Wikipedia he notched 15 league goals in 88 league games for us, 1 in 6....a better record than most of our current strikers have.

+1

Struggle Pig

by Struggle Pig » 27 Aug 2015 12:07

Big Foot Retired today - absolute class act for us, just seen on Wikipedia he notched 15 league goals in 88 league games for us, 1 in 6....a better record than most of our current strikers have.

Big +1

Was excellent for us despite being short of pace at times (and the ability to fall over hilariously). Would love to have his set piece ability in our team, whenever he put the ball down for a free kick you knew something could happen.

Would like to see him become a coach, has so much experience, knowledge and advice to offer.

Thank you Ian Harte.
Last edited by Struggle Pig on 27 Aug 2015 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

MoorgateRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MoorgateRoyal » 27 Aug 2015 12:10

Agreed.

I thought he was superb and had so much composure. He also read the game so well that he rarely got done for pace (although when he did it was pretty spectacular).

He also provided one of my favourite memories of the Prem season, when he fell over against Villa.

All in all, a great member of the squad and proved his worth even towards the end of his career.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 27 Aug 2015 12:14

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 27 Aug 2015 13:45

Good set piece taker. Couldn't defend for his life, constant liability. Good luck to him.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 27 Aug 2015 13:54

St. Brynjar Good set piece taker. Couldn't defend for his life, constant liability. Good luck to him.

Utter bollox from a typical source.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 27 Aug 2015 14:05

Struggle Pig

Big +1

Was excellent for us despite being short of pace at times (and the ability to fall over hilariously). Would love to have his set piece ability in our team, whenever he put the ball down for a free kick you knew something could happen.

Would like to see him become a coach, has so much experience, knowledge and advice to offer.

Thank you Ian Harte.

Just DON'T go to Leeds to coach, Ian!

287 posts