Who do you want to replace Clarke?

1219 posts

Which one of these gentlemen, not currently managing, should lead the mighty Reading FC?

Steve Coppell
12%
Alan Curbishley
2%
Paolo Di Canio
2%
Avram Grant
1%
Glenn Hoddle
5%
Paul Ince
1%
Martin Kuhl
2%
Ally McCoist
1%
Brian McDermott
17%
David Moyes
12%
Nigel Pearson
24%
Gus Poyet
2%
Brendan Rodgers
2%
Uwe Rosler
0%
Tim Sherwood
3%
Mark Warburton
4%
Other (please specify)
8%

Total votes: 368
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: Who do you want to replace Clarke?

by winchester_royal » 08 Dec 2015 22:32

Increasingly chuffed at idea of Bri coming back, and I'm saying that as someone who (at the time) was in favour of his sacking

Would far rather him than some of the other muppets we've been linked to today

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 08 Dec 2015 22:50

Dave-Royal
winchester_royal Increasingly chuffed at idea of Bri coming back, and I'm saying that as someone who (at the time) was in favour of his sacking

Garcia ?

If someone can adequately explain to me what Garcia has done to make him a better choice than McD I'll be very impressed

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Dec 2015 22:52

Brian 2/15 on Betfair

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 08 Dec 2015 22:52

As reported McDonut 1/6 typical Reading bollox if it happens talk about ambition

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 08 Dec 2015 22:54

winchester_royal Increasingly chuffed at idea of Bri coming back, and I'm saying that as someone who (at the time) was in favour of his sacking

He was one of my preferred choices from the outset but I agree that seeing most of the candidates linked has only made me warm to the idea more.

There definitely seems to be a momentum building and I'm starting to dream it might just be happening

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 08 Dec 2015 23:06

Gunny Fishcake As reported McDonut 1/6 typical Reading bollox if it happens talk about ambition

Only two managers have got us promoted to the Premier League before and off the top of my head only two management teams have got us to the second tier playoff final. Brian McDermott's name is on both lists.

Obviously there are no 100% guarantees he could repeat that success but I think it's less of a gamble than plenty of other suggested names and I'm not sure it could be said to represent a lack of ambition - it's hardly as if he led us to mid table mediocrity or anything. The short-term ambition is to get (or at least strongly compete for) promotion and I don't see why McDermott wouldn't have a chance of achieving that.

scumbag

by scumbag » 08 Dec 2015 23:22

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 08 Dec 2015 23:24

I can see why this appointment would appeal to the Thais and I also think they are doing it with the fans in mind.

Agree that he seems a better alternative than what else is been banded around today. Pearson was my first choice but will take McDermott and if he can get someone like murty in then even better.

He worked wonders with a bang average team a few years ago let's see what he can do for us now with this more talented squad. Also... Back to 4-4-2 up and at them and down the wings.

Welcome back Brian.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 08 Dec 2015 23:26

RoyalinBracknell

He was one of my preferred choices from the outset but I agree that seeing most of the candidates linked has only made me warm to the idea more.

There definitely seems to be a momentum building and I'm starting to dream it might just be happening

The delays must be due to getting Brynjar back as his assistant?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 08 Dec 2015 23:31

Marcus to coach the keepers, Blakey as special teams coach and Robin Friday as kit man (honorary position)

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 08 Dec 2015 23:37

I must admit that I am * very * surprised we cant get odds on Dave-Royal being the next manager. I mean, his insight & commentary to Reading FC is second to none (better than Ian Royal and Sandman). Maybe the bookies are just too shit scared to take the money. They must know something we don't ...

I'm annoyed now that I put money on Ostrich, McDonut and Bergy.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 08 Dec 2015 23:41

Dave-Royal Scumbag McDermott

That's a bit harsh.

Did he shit in your kitbag?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 08 Dec 2015 23:47

Dave-Royal
paultheroyal I can see why this appointment would appeal to the Thais and I also think they are doing it with the fans in mind.

Agree that he seems a better alternative than what else is been banded around today. Pearson was my first choice but will take McDermott and if he can get someone like murty in then even better.

He worked wonders with a bang average team a few years ago let's see what he can do for us now with this more talented squad. Also... Back to 4-4-2 up and at them and down the wings.

Welcome back Brian.

he not manager for reading McDermott not coming back u idiot

Can someone please, PLEASE, ban this unfunny, idiotic, parody of a pleb

Martin41

by Martin41 » 08 Dec 2015 23:48

Poor old Dave, he must be exhausted what with all the posts he's been writing these last few days.......... must take it out if you posting that much mindless crap! Still keeps him off the streets.......

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 08 Dec 2015 23:49

He's got a point there, TFFers.

Martin41

by Martin41 » 08 Dec 2015 23:57

Dave-Royal
Martin41 Poor old Dave, he must be exhausted what with all the posts he's been writing these last few days.......... must take it out if you posting that much mindless crap! Still keeps him off the streets.......

hello Martin how you I don't talk Crap, ok, I talk from my heart ok brother

It's all you do, this stupid act you put on........brother ? God I hope not!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Dec 2015 23:59

RoyalinBracknell

I was ambivalent, but there's been some really good points made in his favour and you can't say it wouldn't be like a Disney fairy tale if he came in and did well. I can feel excitement rising at the prospect.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 09 Dec 2015 00:38

I'd rather Scott Lennon

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 09 Dec 2015 00:42

The list put together by fans and journalists for the next manager is pretty under whelming and some of the names on the list are pretty scary (Warnock, Lennon, McLeish) to name a few would be in my opinion a huge step backwards.
There are two names which for me would seem to be a good fit and be worth the gamble, the first being McDermott, some would say he was harshly sacked in the first place, and a lot are saying never go back, which i do somewhat agree with, but he would definitely bring back the feel good factor around the club and get a buzz going around the place again. I feel he would be well suited for the Thais and he should be able to motivate the squad for a play-off challenge.
My second choice would be Dennis Bergkamp, yes this is some what of a gamble, but he's been brought up through the Ajax system and is now coaching there. His vast knowledge, understanding of the game would be great to tap into. He also commands huge respect among the whole world of football, and his fellow peers, yes he lacks managerial experience, but everyone has to start somewhere. I really think this would be a gamble worth taking, look on the bright side, he wouldn't be any worse than the last few managers we've had...and if you gave me a choice between the "Total Football" style of Ajax or the dross we had served up against the Fake Hoops, then i for one know which i would pick.

Royal Bahamas

by Royal Bahamas » 09 Dec 2015 01:40

Brian brought RFC to the Premier League, with a team of players who believed. ....and that is what Brian gave them.....Belief!!!!
For his reward, the Russian owner took away his belief, bought players he did not want........and then sacked him.

As for Leeds, their owners lied to him....and to each other. ....yet he still was getting a job done. So, then a new owner comes in.......who sacks Brian before the purchase has even gone through. How many managers have they had since? What will come first for that owner....Banned from Ownership by the FA, or jail time in Italy for Tax Evasion?

Brian has returned to a Club who appear to understand the meaning of 'loyalty'......and for that reason, I am not sure that Brian would break a contract with them, to return to a Club who showed no loyalty to him.

I truly hope he will. ....but it must be long term. He must be given the time to get the Support Structure. ..The Belief System in place......for every member of the RFC Team.

1219 posts