One Beer is never enough.

Re: Welcome back Brian!

by One Beer is never enough. » 18 Dec 2015 07:35

Answer: Eddie Howe......

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Dec 2015 07:44

Redknapp at Portsmouth, Pulis with Stoke.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 18 Dec 2015 08:00

The Prisoner Utterly meh. Sorry. Would love to be positive but I just remember the abject favouritism and continuous blind selection of underperforming favourites. Hope to be proved wrong.

You do gave to wonder if Clarke's team selection wasn't also a bit 'favourite' based.surely Piazon wasn't being picked based in performance, for example?

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 18 Dec 2015 08:10

bcubed
Mid Sussex Royal I am on the fence with this appointment but I will support the manager because I always do and he can clearly motivate and usually bring the best out of players.

However, I look at that goal we scored last night and it would have graced a much higher stage than the championship; free-kick in our own half started by centre halves comfortable on the ball and it being moved through midfield culminating with a couple of flicks and an excellent finish - I just hope we don't go back to Pearce/Gorks type centre halves who will just lump it up the pitch as it will not suit current personnel at all.

He was poor in the prem and "the only £2.5m to spend" he quoted which is often brought up on here is rubbish - Gunter, Mariappa, Carrico, Akpan, Blackman, right back from Fulham (cannot be bothered to look up name) all cost fees combined total around £8-9m - that by my reckoning is more than any manager at Reading has got through in a season...

This^^^

I really hope Brian will turn things around and performances and results improve. But there's a part of me which is concerned that our style will regress.

What, to a style that actually wins games?
We've only looked decent playing the possession-based short passing games in fewer than 10 games over 4 years. Personally, I couldn't give a shit what our centre halves are told to do providing they're effective at it.
If that means moving it forward quickly then so be it. Rather have that than endless sideways passing just in front of the penalty area before eventually being pressured into giving it back to the goalie who ends up hoofing it long anyway.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Dec 2015 08:13

wingnut Rather have that than endless sideways passing just in front of the penalty area before eventually being pressured into giving it back to the goalie who ends up hoofing it long anyway.

+10000

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 18 Dec 2015 08:14

I was a supporter who wanted him sacked at the time as he was limited in terms of having a plan b. His hands were tied but I can't help but think he could have got us up again instantly (I don't think he would have got us in a playoff chase).

However I'm delighted he is back because some of that squad need a kick up the backside and McDermott will certainly do that. We all know how well this squad can play. Theyre just not putting in the performances that they can play. But I think it will be much harder this time for him as be will be working with a new squad and backroom team so let's see how he adapts.

Good luck Brian I will be singing your name loud and clear on Sunday. Let's hope I'm not the only one

Dai Brainbocs
Hob Nob Regular

by Dai Brainbocs » 18 Dec 2015 08:16

Suitably cheesy song for the PA at the next home game; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAWOpaLArYM

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 18 Dec 2015 08:39

For every Eddie Howe there's a Kevin Keegan. More often than not it doesn't work out, but we can only hope for the best. Personally I feel he 'could' take us up, but I don't believe he'd keep us there, and these Thai's wouldn't mess around, and the first sign of struggle he'd be off again.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 18 Dec 2015 08:41

Firmly on the fence on this, but welcome home.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 18 Dec 2015 08:56

loyalroyaldaz He's not the Messiah.............
But this is the second comming

Steve_Upper_West

by Steve_Upper_West » 18 Dec 2015 09:43

Forbury Lion
loyalroyaldaz He's not the Messiah.............
But this is the second comming

:lol:

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 18 Dec 2015 09:49

Coppelled_Streets For every Eddie Howe there's a Kevin Keegan. More often than not it doesn't work out, but we can only hope for the best. Personally I feel he 'could' take us up, but I don't believe he'd keep us there, and these Thai's wouldn't mess around, and the first sign of struggle he'd be off again.

First have to ask is anybody going to be good enough to keep us up? It's a massive, massive task and one that failing shouldn't dent a managers reputation overly. Reading certainly weren't 'supposed' to stay up last time round but gave it a good crack until it started to unravel at the end.

Secondly you have to accept that managers can change and learn from mistakes. For all his success with us, that was Brian's first crack at the prem and he didn't even get a full season. I think he deserves a chance to show he has taken on board what went wrong and might be in a better position to keep Reading from the drop next time around.

Brian managed a limited side in an applicable way. With a more capable side, at least technically, his approach will certainly adapt and all this fear of hoofball (a totally inaccurate summary of the football during his tenure) could be unfounded.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 18 Dec 2015 09:54

Jeez - we haven't played a game under his new tenure yet - let's give him 2 or 3 games to get into it shall we? Going up this season is asking too much I think, but if we are there or thereabouts and show a great improvement to previously, then we should be in a good position to go up next season I reckon.

Not sure about this stuff about Gunter - since when did a team get to choose their manager (other than John Terry and Chelsea?) - if he is a bad apple, get rid in January - if anyone will take him.

Terry Burton is a good choice as assistant/coach or whatever his title will be. McD and him played together at Arsenal and have been friendly ever since - therefore, McD trusts him to the hilt. Also Burton won't suffer fools gladly and won't take any shite from any divas.

Looking forward to Sunday - cos I'm coming back for Brian. 8)

Brendon Mackenzie

by Brendon Mackenzie » 18 Dec 2015 10:06

Royal Lady Jeez - we haven't played a game under his new tenure yet - let's give him 2 or 3 games to get into it shall we? Going up this season is asking too much I think, but if we are there or thereabouts and show a great improvement to previously, then we should be in a good position to go up next season I reckon.

Not sure about this stuff about Gunter - since when did a team get to choose their manager (other than John Terry and Chelsea?) - if he is a bad apple, get rid in January - if anyone will take him.

Terry Burton is a good choice as assistant/coach or whatever his title will be. McD and him played together at Arsenal and have been friendly ever since - therefore, McD trusts him to the hilt. Also Burton won't suffer fools gladly and won't take any shite from any divas.

Looking forward to Sunday - cos I'm coming back for Brian. 8)

You're coming back for Brian and I'm coming up your arse. Bitch.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 18 Dec 2015 10:10

Flyingkiwi I remember seeing an interview with Brian on MotD (Or something) just after he got the sack (Of which I, personally, never approved) and him saying that he would "never have a problem with Reading Football Club". That was the point when he moved from Great Man to Legend in el casa FK.
and also part of the reason he's got the job again. Had he slagged the club off in the media he might well have burnt his bridges.
I think it's fair to say he was a victim of Sir John's decision to sell up to a Russian who knew nothing about football, had no money and interfered by signing players behind the managers back (Pog and Drenthe). In the case of Pog it's on record somewhere that he was introduced to him by Anton and then told he's your new striker.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 18 Dec 2015 10:58

Anton sacked BM and hired Adkins before certain members of the club knew about it. He definitely wasn't liked by the Russian.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 18 Dec 2015 11:10

Coppelled_Streets For every Eddie Howe there's a Kevin Keegan. More often than not it doesn't work out, but we can only hope for the best. Personally I feel he 'could' take us up, but I don't believe he'd keep us there, and these Thai's wouldn't mess around, and the first sign of struggle he'd be off again.

How many times have returning managers failed versus succeeded ? It's easy to say it doesn't work but is that true or just a guess ? I have no idea which it really is.
Doubt that is too much evidence either way really.

Brendon Mackenzie

by Brendon Mackenzie » 18 Dec 2015 11:24

Nameless

How many times have returning managers failed versus succeeded ? It's easy to say it doesn't work but is that true or just a guess ? I have no idea which it really is.
Doubt that is too much evidence either way really.

Returning successes off the top of my head, obviously there will be a lot more.

Jose
Howe
Pulis
Coppell at palace
Pearson
Taylor at Watford

Truth is not many managers go back so this never go back shit is mainly sky sports bollox to be fair.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 18 Dec 2015 11:27

Not sure if Mourinho could really be deemed that successful of a return...

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Dec 2015 11:28

You missed Martin Allen at Barnet

1226 posts