189 posts
John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Gunter two year contract extension

by John Smith » 19 Feb 2016 12:54

royal67
Silver Fox
royal67 # Devils advocate mode 'on' #
Or he's told the club that he wants to leave in the summer but the club applied a condition that he extends his contract so we get a decent fee for him?
# Devils advocate mode 'off' #

Then why would Gunter deny himself the exaggerated signing bonus he would get by going somewhere on a free ?

This is of course great news

Surely any 'exaggerated' signing on bonus would be greatly outweighed by the vastly improved wages that he is likely to benefit from by signing for any Premiership side........?

Get your head checked, then come back and stop suggesting such drivel.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 19 Feb 2016 13:13

Happy with this - has his flaws but then that's why he's a Championship player and not in the Prem .... but glad he's stayed as getting a quality RB of his calibre wouldn't be easy.

Dixeyroyal

by Dixeyroyal » 19 Feb 2016 13:39

andrew1957
Dixeyroyal
andrew1957 Excellent news. Consistently one of our better players and the club clearly agrees.

Shame on the hobnob boo boys who pick on players like Gunter and make then scapegoats for every loss. Whereas the reality is that we are very lucky to have him and the fact that he was so desperate to stay endears him to me even more.

Come on URZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

By hobnob boo boys you mean those that have an opinion that is different to yours, and can clearly see that Gunter offers us nothing going forward and remains hopelessly out of position on many occasions when defending?

Personally I think that he needs a bit of competition for his position to get the best out of him, but you cant just label everyone as a boo boy because they don't rate a player that you clearly think is one of the better ones.

Unfortunately these days even full backs get judged on their contribution going forward and IMO Gunter's is non existent, constantly a pass sideways or backwards, and when it does go forward it is a big hoof whilst looking at the ground!

Just my opinion by the way :wink:

Fair point. My comment was not aimed at those who have different opinions and fairly consider players strengths and weaknesses. All players have such plusses and minuses but it appears to me that there is a vociferous minority on hobnob who seem to develop an almost irrational and unreasonable hatred towards certain players when things are not going well.

This season it is Gunter and HRK who have IMO unfairly been the main targets. Gunter has not been one of our worst players and defence has not been our problem this season, whereas the lack of goals has been.

And HRK has been so much better this season than last. He was not great last time out but to me he has been one of our better players this season - although very much lacking in goals as with all the forward players except Blackman - who we then sold. I very much hope that HRK can also be persuaded to stay for another two years too - although I rather doubt that he will.

And I also rather doubt this is all some conspiracy to get a fee for Gunter in the summer. Obviously if a huge bid came in from a PL team we might sell, but that applies to all our players, but my belief is that McD sees Gunter as very much part of next season's squad.

For what it's worth I actually agree that HRK has been one of our best players over the last 12 or so games, although I think that it is pushing it a bit to extend that to "this season"
I am not his biggest supporter but certainly think that he has improved recently and has certainly justified his starting place, the biggest difference being that he actually looks interested again.

I think that the frustration from most fans with HRK is not attributed to this season alone, it's more based on a carried over frustration from his miserable performances for the 2 seasons before, when his contribution could be described as very limited. It also angers many fans that HRK is now reported to be the clubs highest earner and does not justify his wage.

McDermott fans will say that HRK improved performances have coincided with his return as Manager, whereas cynics will say that his improved performances can be attributed to his contract end in 4 months time and a little thing called the Euro's! :shock:

Pandoras Box

by Pandoras Box » 19 Feb 2016 13:39

Ian Royal
Great athlete,

Not a criticism Ian - but many on here keep quoting - 'He's a fantastic athlete'.
Dellor, Gooding et al make reference to it on every broadcast. I'm genuinely interested in what this actually means. The only worthwhile and useful athletic attribute I can think of is presumably the ability to run? And this along with stamina should be taken for granted for all footballers.
However, during many of his matches, he hasn't been able to outpace the opposition in attack nor get back fast enough against a quick forward.
And why is this 'athletic' adjective' only said about him anyway - it's never said about McCleary for instance who may be quicker? Don't get it.
(unless unbeknown to me there is an RFC Harriers shot put or javelin team where he prevails?).

Dixeyroyal

by Dixeyroyal » 19 Feb 2016 13:41

floyd__streete
Dixeyroyal By hobnob boo boys you mean those that have an opinion that is different to yours, and can clearly see that Gunter offers us nothing going forward and remains hopelessly out of position on many occasions when defending?

Personally I think that he needs a bit of competition for his position to get the best out of him, but you cant just label everyone as a boo boy because they don't rate a player that you clearly think is one of the better ones.

Well, I 100% agree with you this time, fair play.....

Thanks Floyd, glad that we have agreed on something :D

OLLIE KEARNS

by OLLIE KEARNS » 19 Feb 2016 13:54

Top Flight Jeez Ian Royal, you're usually quite positive.

I think the mediocrity is more about the collective efforts of the team. Gunter is one of those players that will be an absolute star once the team develops an effective way of playing based on a 4-4-2 formation. One target man striker with one number 10 off him. Two good wing stars with overlapping full backs. McDermott has to coach this philosophy and style into the players and provide them with the right incentives. Coppell was brilliant at offering the right incentives and system so that everyone knew what they had to do and they had the incentive to do it.

Gunter has the potential but is not being used in a way to draw the best out of him. Once the team develops it's 'way' you will see a much more effective Gunter. We have seen this evolution in players before. As the 106 team developed in the preceeding years we saw how players like Murty and Shorey became more and more effective each year in the lead up to the 106 year and then they were unbelievable. Since Shorey left the Royals, he never was the same player. Not because he was any less of a player but he joined a different philosophy with different incentives and different structure which didn't draw the best out of him to be most effective. Have faith people.

Shorey was a top class attacking full back who was weak defensively and he flourished in the 106 side because it emphasized all of his strengths. He was soon found out at premier league level because there was far more emphasis on his defensive ability in the sides that he played for.
Chris Gunter is not even close to top class in either department which is why his career has been spent in teams that average closer to 66 points than 106. It would be true to say he'd benefit from playing in a 106 team in that it would put less focus on his defensive capabilities but do you really think he'd suddenly develop the ability to cross a ball just because he got to have more goes at it ?
From memory we have scored from 3 of his crosses in the 4 seasons he's been here (may be 1 or 2 more) which is ludicrous given the amount of times that he gets in a position to cross. The reason for that is that he either side foots it along the floor to the first man or chips it up in the air for keeper catching practice.
Jump on you tube for one second and watch Brynjar cross the ball at Anfield for Shane Long to score. The cross is whipped in at pace between the man defending the near post and the keeper and is an absolute nightmare to defend. Do you really think Chris Gunter is capable of delivering a cross that is anything close to that on a regular basis ?
I've posted before on this topic and acknowledged his strengths as well but to suggest he can become an "absolute star" is a puzzle to me. He is a decent championship level full back with areas of weakness that often get exploited. I have no issue with him being given a new contract assuming it is aligned to his ability and that we also get another right back in to compete with him.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 Feb 2016 14:35

OLLIE KEARNS

I think the mediocrity is more about the collective efforts of the team. Gunter is one of those players that will be an absolute star once the team develops an effective way of playing based on a 4-4-2 formation. One target man striker with one number 10 off him. Two good wing stars with overlapping full backs. McDermott has to coach this philosophy and style into the players and provide them with the right incentives. Coppell was brilliant at offering the right incentives and system so that everyone knew what they had to do and they had the incentive to do it.

Gunter has the potential but is not being used in a way to draw the best out of him. Once the team develops it's 'way' you will see a much more effective Gunter. We have seen this evolution in players before. As the 106 team developed in the preceeding years we saw how players like Murty and Shorey became more and more effective each year in the lead up to the 106 year and then they were unbelievable. Since Shorey left the Royals, he never was the same player. Not because he was any less of a player but he joined a different philosophy with different incentives and different structure which didn't draw the best out of him to be most effective. Have faith people.

Shorey was a top class attacking full back who was weak defensively and he flourished in the 106 side because it emphasized all of his strengths. He was soon found out at premier league level because there was far more emphasis on his defensive ability in the sides that he played for.
Chris Gunter is not even close to top class in either department which is why his career has been spent in teams that average closer to 66 points than 106. It would be true to say he'd benefit from playing in a 106 team in that it would put less focus on his defensive capabilities but do you really think he'd suddenly develop the ability to cross a ball just because he got to have more goes at it ?
From memory we have scored from 3 of his crosses in the 4 seasons he's been here (may be 1 or 2 more) which is ludicrous given the amount of times that he gets in a position to cross. The reason for that is that he either side foots it along the floor to the first man or chips it up in the air for keeper catching practice.
Jump on you tube for one second and watch Brynjar cross the ball at Anfield for Shane Long to score. The cross is whipped in at pace between the man defending the near post and the keeper and is an absolute nightmare to defend. Do you really think Chris Gunter is capable of delivering a cross that is anything close to that on a regular basis ?
I've posted before on this topic and acknowledged his strengths as well but to suggest he can become an "absolute star" is a puzzle to me. He is a decent championship level full back with areas of weakness that often get exploited. I have no issue with him being given a new contract assuming it is aligned to his ability and that we also get another right back in to compete with him.

I hear what you're saying.... I think Gunter can put good crosses into the box... But often there is no one in the box to aim at. We don't get bodies into the box like the Reading sides of old. So of course he will put crosses in and they'll get headed away or collected by the keeper. This is a team game. I believe Gunter will become more effective as McDermott gradually improves the collective effectiveness of the group. Sometimes you see Gunter turn back when he gets near the box because there is no point putting balls in if there is no one there.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 19 Feb 2016 14:45

Good news. I don't particularly rate his ability but you can't deny he gives his all, has tremendous pace and links up well with McCleary.

Its also great news that not all footballers are obsessed by money. From how the negotiations have panned out in the media it sounds like he has accepted reduced terms out of loyalty to the club. Unlike the homegrown Federici, Pearce, Karacan etc.

Given the amount of players in the squad who won't be here next season, we should be delighted at securing an average championship right back who actually wants to play for us!

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 19 Feb 2016 15:01

Don't think I've ever seen a Gunter fan shirt...

royal67

by royal67 » 19 Feb 2016 15:45

John Smith
royal67
Silver Fox
Then why would Gunter deny himself the exaggerated signing bonus he would get by going somewhere on a free ?

This is of course great news

Surely any 'exaggerated' signing on bonus would be greatly outweighed by the vastly improved wages that he is likely to benefit from by signing for any Premiership side........?

Get your head checked, then come back and stop suggesting such drivel.

You've misinterpreted what I mean. I don't suggest for a moment that he can play for any Premiership side, he isn't capable enough. He will earn more than he does at RFC by playing for any Premiership side, even a shit one. Hope that clears up your drivel issue........

Dixeyroyal

by Dixeyroyal » 19 Feb 2016 15:49

Top Flight
OLLIE KEARNS

I hear what you're saying.... I think Gunter can put good crosses into the box... But often there is no one in the box to aim at. We don't get bodies into the box like the Reading sides of old. So of course he will put crosses in and they'll get headed away or collected by the keeper. This is a team game. I believe Gunter will become more effective as McDermott gradually improves the collective effectiveness of the group. Sometimes you see Gunter turn back when he gets near the box because there is no point putting balls in if there is no one there.

I think the point that there is never anyone in the box is being used as an excuse when it comes to Gunter, I can recall a number of occasions against both Wolves and Burnley when there were bodies in the box waiting for a cross from Gunter and he chose to stop and play it sideways, possibly because he realises his limitations when it comes to crossing.

I just don't understand why we have given a very average player god like status because he has signed a new contract and we should be grateful for it.

Let's see how many times tomorrow Gunter is in a position to cross the ball or attack their full back and he instead passes sideways or puts his foot on the ball, spins and plays it back........ I will go for at least 6!

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 19 Feb 2016 16:11

I'm not over the moon, but Gunter's very much good enough for where we are. Hopefully Keown or Akinwumni can push on and solidify their spot in the first team over the next two years.

OLLIE KEARNS
Top Flight Since Shorey left the Royals, he never was the same player. Not because he was any less of a player but he joined a different philosophy with different incentives and different structure which didn't draw the best out of him to be most effective. Have faith people.

Think Top Flight is closer to the truth there (although this is the first I've heard of our wingers and full backs being given bonuses for putting crosses in). I don't think Shorey was especially weak defensively. I didn't watch huge amounts of him after he left us but it seemed to me that he was never the undisputed first choice (competing with Warnock at Villa and Ridgewell at West Brom), and he was no longer the most gifted player in the side (he never scored for another team, suggesting he wasn't trusted to take the free kicks). IIRC Fulham were going to sign him after his loan spell until Hodgson went to Liverpool, and he played for four different clubs, so it's not like he got "found out" the way Gunter or Cummings did.

Baggie192

by Baggie192 » 19 Feb 2016 16:38

Or he's told the club that he wants to leave in the summer but the club applied a condition that he extends his contract so we get a decent fee for him?

If this were the case isn't it usually a 1 year extension? That would mean his current contract wouldn't be up until 2018, and normally talks wouldn't begin until Christmas. just curious

royal67

by royal67 » 19 Feb 2016 16:49

Baggie192

If this were the case isn't it usually a 1 year extension? That would mean his current contract wouldn't be up until 2018, and normally talks wouldn't begin until Christmas. just curious

Possibly. My statement is speculation..... Time will tell,but I can't see him wanting too many more seasons in a team struggling along in the Chump......

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 Feb 2016 17:09

SCIAG I'm not over the moon, but Gunter's very much good enough for where we are. Hopefully Keown or Akinwumni can push on and solidify their spot in the first team over the next two years.

OLLIE KEARNS
Top Flight Since Shorey left the Royals, he never was the same player. Not because he was any less of a player but he joined a different philosophy with different incentives and different structure which didn't draw the best out of him to be most effective. Have faith people.

Think Top Flight is closer to the truth there (although this is the first I've heard of our wingers and full backs being given bonuses for putting crosses in). I don't think Shorey was especially weak defensively. I didn't watch huge amounts of him after he left us but it seemed to me that he was never the undisputed first choice (competing with Warnock at Villa and Ridgewell at West Brom), and he was no longer the most gifted player in the side (he never scored for another team, suggesting he wasn't trusted to take the free kicks). IIRC Fulham were going to sign him after his loan spell until Hodgson went to Liverpool, and he played for four different clubs, so it's not like he got "found out" the way Gunter or Cummings did.

I know that Stephen Hunt had targets on how many crosses he had to swing into the box on a Saturday afternoon. His pay was based on meeting those targets. So Hunt in partnership with Shorey were hell bent on getting down the flank and getting crosses into the penalty area.

Kitson, Doyle, Sidwell and Harper know that there is serious intent from Shorey and Hunt to get crosses in so they are going to be piling into the box and trying to get on the end of things. They want to pick up their goal bonuses as well.

When there is a clear game plan, clear objectives and the right incentives, a proper way of playing.... Effectiveness and results will come. I think that is the main factor that is problematic at the moment. We need a bit more consistency as well. We need McCleary to be fit and have a good run of games. We need Kermorgant and Vydra both to be fit and playing regularly. I'm sure things will work out and results will improve. McDermott knows what he is doing!

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 19 Feb 2016 17:14

Maybe Gunter should just focus on getting crosses into the box and don't worry about if there is anyone in there to get on the end of his crosses.

If Kermorgant and Vydra see that all Gunter does is get down the line in partnership with McCleary and drop crosses in to dangerous areas then they will soon start understanding how we play and will try and get in the area and on the end of some of them.

After putting a cross in, if no one was in the box then Gunter should rollock his team mates and say where the hell are you. Get in the fricking box.

Baggie192

by Baggie192 » 19 Feb 2016 17:23

royal67
Baggie192

Possibly. My statement is speculation..... Time will tell,but I can't see him wanting too many more seasons in a team struggling along in the Chump......

Wasn't having a pop mate, just wondered. As for Nicky Shorey he was great for us, we wouldn't have got promoted in 09/10 had he not joined in the winter window. Sadly his legs went and Ridgewell took his place

Longhorn1970
Hob Nob Regular

by Longhorn1970 » 19 Feb 2016 19:16

Oh well he can carry on being sh*t for another 2 yrs

Royality creeps In
Hob Nob Regular

by Royality creeps In » 19 Feb 2016 19:38

Good news
A steady full back for us.

The fact that he has been picked by every manager indicates that they know what he brings to the team.

God help us if some of the numb nuts on here get anywhere near football management.
Stick to your X Boxes boys and girls

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 20 Feb 2016 00:48

OLLIE KEARNS [
Chris Gunter is not even close to top class in either department which is why his career has been spent in teams that average closer to 66 points than 106.

Murty is clear evidence that some players mature with experience. Gunter could have 6 years at the club yet.

189 posts