Squad Changes This Summer

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Squad Changes This Summer

by Forbury Lion » 14 Mar 2016 13:49

Hoop Blah The squad needs freshening up and revitalising, not taking down some bizarre kind of nostalgia trip.
Unless of course that nostalgia trip consists of Gylfie, Antonio and Long...... unlikely really, even if we somehow found ourselves in the Premier League next season.

George_

by George_ » 14 Mar 2016 14:26

New right back to push Gunter.

New centre back (possibly 2 if Ferdinand doesn't get a new contract)

New left back or sign Taylor on a permanent.

Right winger (possibly 2 if HRK & possibly G Mac leave)

2 new centre midfields with the possibility we may not have Hector, Williams or Norwood with us still (Tshibola will be back however)

New left winger (2 if we don't sign John permanently & Fosu isn't with the first team)

New striker to partner Samuel, Rakels & Kermorgant.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 14 Mar 2016 15:15

After last Tuesday's horror show, I'd be quite happy if Taylor never plays for us again.

Slater1993

by Slater1993 » 14 Mar 2016 16:50

George_ New right back to push Gunter.

2 new centre midfields with the possibility we may not have Hector, Williams or Norwood with us still (Tshibola will be back however)

New left winger (2 if we don't sign John permanently & Fosu isn't with the first team)

Do you really think we will sign 8/9 players?! not a chance

George_

by George_ » 14 Mar 2016 16:54

Slater1993
George_ New right back to push Gunter.

Do you really think we will sign 8/9 players?! not a chance

5 or 6 most likely, hoping Brian can find a couple of gems from league 1 and 2 for £250k.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 14 Mar 2016 17:30

I suspect that the Thais Scouting department (as Lady sassy calls them) are at the moment scouring the talents of some leagues, we have never heard of, to unearth the next set of gems that will be thrust upon us next season. Does anybody really imagine that McDermott will have any say other than "yes"

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Mar 2016 17:51

howser I suspect that the Thais Scouting department (as Lady sassy calls them) are at the moment scouring the talents of some leagues, we have never heard of, to unearth the next set of gems that will be thrust upon us next season. Does anybody really imagine that McDermott will have any say other than "yes"

I'm sure he'll lead on the overall direction and majority of signings with some input from the owner's team and maybe a signing or two dictated by them.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Mar 2016 18:03

Forbury Lion
Hoop Blah The squad needs freshening up and revitalising, not taking down some bizarre kind of nostalgia trip.
Unless of course that nostalgia trip consists of Gylfie, Antonio and Long...... unlikely really, even if we somehow found ourselves in the Premier League next season.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 14 Mar 2016 21:15

Had enough in's and out's last year. In the process the club has gone no further forward. Hopefully there'll be more promotion from within. Tanner is gaining good experience down at Plymouth. Likewise Dickie at Cheltenham.

linkenholtroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by linkenholtroyal » 15 Mar 2016 08:55

Hoop Blah What I meant was bringing back the likes of Le Fondre, Pearce and Karacan would be such a backward and negative step it would mean McDermott was heading down the wrong path.

Alfie has said he is already interested in coming back, Pearce would fill the void left by hector for probably a low fee. Plus he was Brian's captain a lot before, maybe Karacan is a bit speculative. I could definitely see the other 2 happening though. Whether we like it or not. I don't think we are going to be spending big this summer. If Brian can bring back players he knows for low fees he will probably take that over some speculative short in the dark from some soviet league....

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 15 Mar 2016 09:11

wingnut After last Tuesday's horror show, I'd be quite happy if Taylor never plays for us again.

:roll: fukking hell. what is it with th eridiculous negativity
he was thrown in after not playing in months.

hes looked a very capable and solid defensive full back every other time ive seen him

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 15 Mar 2016 09:53

Meh

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Mar 2016 10:10

Maneki Neko
wingnut After last Tuesday's horror show, I'd be quite happy if Taylor never plays for us again.

:roll: fukking hell. what is it with th eridiculous negativity
he was thrown in after not playing in months.

hes looked a very capable and solid defensive full back every other time ive seen him

+1 O-beats should be no.1 but A-Tay is a gr8 back-up you no what I'm sayin'

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 15 Mar 2016 16:04

Royal_jimmy Is there any chance we can get Samuel back from his loan from Gillingham or is there no recall?

I think he should be getting some game time with Kermorgant, Rakels + Vydra. We might as well get a head start and blood him now so he hits the ground running next season.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... gillingham

Personally I want him to stay for the rest of the season anyway. There's various reasons for that, but I can't think of a better loan move one of our youngsters has made in recent years.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 16 Mar 2016 23:27

Our defence is not too bad really. When you can't score goals, you're putting more problems on your defenders to keep a clean sheet so we dont get beaten and that is never easy. Our problem is the link between midfield and attack. We need much more pace in our team so we need a winger, one fast on the counter like Kebe was for us.

I think we need 2 strikers too, (1 if Samuel is blooded into the team). We need to look at young promising players in the lower leagues. Some of our academy prospects are excellent but that doesn't mean we can't sign young players from lower league clubs elsewhere.

I will say we need the following as a minimum: 1 left back, 1 centre back, 1 box-to-box midfielder, 2 wingers (hopefully keep John) and 1 striker (assuming Samuel breaks into the team).

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 16 Mar 2016 23:52

IMO the Palace game showed how far away we are from being a team that deserves to be in the Premier League. The difference in quality was obvious.

I suppose it depends on our ambitions. If we want to just compete in the Championship next season then i'd say we need:

- New left back
- New defensive midfielder
- New high quality striker

If we are serious about promotion then:

- Entire new defence other than McShane.
- Decent defensive midfelder
- £8m goal scoring midfielder
- £10m striker.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 17 Mar 2016 00:46

We need a CB, RB, striker and winger.

At least.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 17 Mar 2016 14:59

Royal_jimmy I think we need 2 strikers too
After signing Kermorgant and Rakels I can't see us signing another striker unless we lose Vydra or Cox and on current form/performances those two are the better options IMHO.

I do wonder if a change in midfield or style of play (wingers/2 up front) may see our existing strike force have more chances and score more goals.... but is our midfield setup of a defensive midfielder in front of the back 4 the result of a poor defence that needs protecting? Maybe it's just a case of improving the back 4 to allow the midfield to play further forward and allow a second striker to be played up front?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 17 Mar 2016 15:00

Royal_jimmy I think we need 2 strikers too
After signing Kermorgant and Rakels I can't see us signing another striker unless we lose Vydra or Cox and on current form/performances those two are the better options IMHO.

I do wonder if a change in midfield or style of play (wingers/2 up front) may see our existing strike force have more chances and score more goals.... but is our midfield setup of a defensive midfielder in front of the back 4 the result of a poor defence that needs protecting? Maybe it's just a case of improving the back 4 to allow the midfield to play further forward and allow a second striker to be played up front?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 17 Mar 2016 15:07

Everyone's piped down about replacing the keeper. I'd still get a new one in personally