The Mad Stad

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: The Mad Stad

by bobby1413 » 20 May 2016 08:34

Rollerbob
floyd__streete Nearly 20 years on it remains a faffy journey by public transport through Reading's gridlocked traffic, parking at the stadium itself is horrendous and the alternative options are not much more desirable, the place is a bit grubby and in need of a bit of a spruce up, the concourses are drab and overcrowded. I have visited just about all of the modern stadia which have sprung up in english professional football over the past 20 years and from the point of view of an away fan only the Ricoh Arena is frankly a worse visit that the Madejski. An away venue with little to commend about it, imagine having to visit 23+ times a season.....

And lots of people are still moaning about "Royal Elm Park"

Agree with you both here. More infrastructure, residential housing, shops, pubs can only be a great thing for the area around the stadium.

The new train station is long overdue and I wish they'd given an update on progress as last I heard there was some sort of delay or issue over electrification.

I rarely get the bus to the ground and if I do, I go to the Nags head. It is far less of a ballache. I haven't got the town centre buses for well over 2 years now. Getting to the ground is just about tolerable, and other grounds tbf also rely on buses. But getting back is another matter, as at times I've waited 45 minutes after a game in a queue for the buses to get back. It's either that or leave 10 minutes early from the ground.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 20 May 2016 08:37

bobby1413
Rollerbob
floyd__streete Nearly 20 years on it remains a faffy journey by public transport through Reading's gridlocked traffic, parking at the stadium itself is horrendous and the alternative options are not much more desirable, the place is a bit grubby and in need of a bit of a spruce up, the concourses are drab and overcrowded. I have visited just about all of the modern stadia which have sprung up in english professional football over the past 20 years and from the point of view of an away fan only the Ricoh Arena is frankly a worse visit that the Madejski. An away venue with little to commend about it, imagine having to visit 23+ times a season.....

Agree with you both here. More infrastructure, residential housing, shops, pubs can only be a great thing for the area around the stadium.

The new train station is long overdue and I wish they'd given an update on progress as last I heard there was some sort of delay or issue over electrification.

I rarely get the bus to the ground and if I do, I go to the Nags head. It is far less of a ballache. I haven't got the town centre buses for well over 2 years now. Getting to the ground is just about tolerable, and other grounds tbf also rely on buses. But getting back is another matter, as at times I've waited 45 minutes after a game in a queue for the buses to get back. It's either that or leave 10 minutes early from the ground.

It takes less than 45 minutes to walk back to town. Agree on most of your points though.

Lenny The Tramp

by Lenny The Tramp » 20 May 2016 09:38

Floyd, reckon those concourses gonna be a bit less congested next season.

I think our ground is one of the better new ones. Looks good design-wise (it's not a totally bland continuous single tier bowl like St Marys or Leicester) and not at all cramped once you're sat down (or stood up, if that's your thing).

Getting to and from aint good. And will get worse if the plans are passed. (good bye car parking and bus parking - and hello non existent train station … which would be a mile away even if it ever got built).

Pub buses are way forward (F and H, Caversham, with take-ons. Probably best part of the match day experience).

RoyalCrisp

by RoyalCrisp » 20 May 2016 22:26

Royal Ginger
Maneki Neko these things are not aimed at you, and have no effect on you

I mostly agree, however the Kingsley Caper thing keeps annoyingly catching my eye as does the bit in the Thai airlines advert where it pans away over the clouds.

Yeah, find that really irritating. Also, 'these things are not aimed at you', how does that matter? All of these things impact our experience of matchdays whether they're aimed at kids or ultras, having a PA scream 'roar for the royals' intercut with a scrum of Sweet Caroline and air raid sirens does have an effect on me, takes me out of being in a football ground completely, or maybe I'm just sensitive... doubt it though.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 20 May 2016 22:31

Whilst I agree, most of that shizzle isn't necessary....I just ignore it

I take no notice of what goes on "off-field" too

Just turn up....scream and shout after kick-off....watch the game....come home....bitch about it on hna all night

@oldtimers

OldBiscuit

by OldBiscuit » 20 May 2016 23:18

floyd__streete The novelty of the Madejski Stadium has long since worn off. At the time it was state of the art and an upgrade in terms of facilities on what we had. Nearly 20 years on it remains a faffy journey by public transport through Reading's gridlocked traffic, parking at the stadium itself is horrendous and the alternative options are not much more desirable, the place is a bit grubby and in need of a bit of a spruce up, the concourses are drab and overcrowded. I have visited just about all of the modern stadia which have sprung up in english professional football over the past 20 years and from the point of view of an away fan only the Ricoh Arena is frankly a worse visit that the Madejski. An away venue with little to commend about it, imagine having to visit 23+ times a season.....

You took a lot of time to say nothing there Floyd.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 20 May 2016 23:18

Most of it I can ignore, laugh with those around me about (DJ Bloke) or appreciate that someone appreciates it. I have no intellectual objection, it's just the cartoons and the Thai Airlines thing that distract my eye.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 21 May 2016 00:11

Top Flight This is the Daily Telegraph's little take on the Mad Stad. Now that West Ham have played their last ever game at the Boleyn, the DT have been looking at the fortunes of all the clubs that have moved stadium in the past 30 odd years. This is what they have to say about our move.

READING
Moved in: 1997
To: Madjeski Stadium, 24,161
League at time of move: Championship
League now: Championship

Another anonymous bowl, but one that has undeniably made its team an established fixture in the top two divisions rather than the third tier regulars they have been for much of their history. Reading set a record for winning the highest number of points ever in a season, 106 in the 2005/06 Championship. The stadium itself features a Jazz Cafe, which probably tells you all you need to know about how intimidating it is to visit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/05/11/what-happens-next-when-a-team-moves-stadium-every-new-ground-sin/madejski-stadium/

Barnet? Yeovil? Lazy, Ill informed journalism of the worst kind. Modern stadiums are are massive improvements on what they replaced. The Torygraph should stick to the Rugger Buggers that they love so much instead of trying to involve themselves in things that they clearly do not understand.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 May 2016 09:50

What a shambolic article. The Reebok/Macron Stadium "a beacon of original design" which in the next sentance "borrows heavily" from Huddersfield.

Apparently, Rotherham's ground is a mini Emirates. I thought it looked almost identical to the Keepmoat.

I knew the Telegraph, particularly the Sports section, was the natural habitat of the self gratifyingly smug but that takes the biscuit.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 21 May 2016 14:38

Lenny The Tramp Pub buses are way forward (F and H, Caversham, with take-ons. Probably best part of the match day experience).

May be being thick, but take ons - you mean you can order a pint from the bar and bring on the bus for the journey up to the ground?

taipairoyal

by taipairoyal » 21 May 2016 15:04

Should never have moved from Elm Park,. 28,000 under floodlights real atmosphere, smoke and the smell of piss in the air, those were the days.

taipairoyal

by taipairoyal » 21 May 2016 15:09

bobby1413
Rollerbob

I used to cycle to Elm Park from Didcot, lazy bastard.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 21 May 2016 16:35

Fairly fair assessment from the telegraph if you ask me.

Jagermesiter1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Jagermesiter1871 » 21 May 2016 17:27

floyd__streete The novelty of the Madejski Stadium has long since worn off. At the time it was state of the art and an upgrade in terms of facilities on what we had. Nearly 20 years on it remains a faffy journey by public transport through Reading's gridlocked traffic, parking at the stadium itself is horrendous and the alternative options are not much more desirable, the place is a bit grubby and in need of a bit of a spruce up, the concourses are drab and overcrowded. I have visited just about all of the modern stadia which have sprung up in english professional football over the past 20 years and from the point of view of an away fan only the Ricoh Arena is frankly a worse visit that the Madejski. An away venue with little to commend about it, imagine having to visit 23+ times a season.....

I thought the Ricoh was brilliant. It has Wimpey burgers inside ffs.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 May 2016 21:22

bobby1413
Rollerbob

:shock: I've never waited longer than about 15 minutes for a bus when I get one. And I always stay and clap the players off.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 21 May 2016 21:57

Ian Royal :shock: I've never waited longer than about 15 minutes for a bus when I get one. And I always stay and clap the players off.

It's been at least 2 years since I last got the bus, so maybe things have changed.

I remember waiting 45 minutes on at least a few occasions. I'm sure it wasn't always as long as that, but not surprisingly those occasions aren't as clear in my mind

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 May 2016 22:03

bobby1413
Ian Royal :shock: I've never waited longer than about 15 minutes for a bus when I get one. And I always stay and clap the players off.

It's been at least 2 years since I last got the bus, so maybe things have changed.

I remember waiting 45 minutes on at least a few occasions. I'm sure it wasn't always as long as that, but not surprisingly those occasions aren't as clear in my mind

I've got it on and off since we moved there. Maybe in the PL with big crowds. Like someone else said, you can walk it in less than that wait.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 21 May 2016 22:14

Ian Royal
bobby1413

I've got it on and off since we moved there. Maybe in the PL with big crowds. Like someone else said, you can walk it in less than that wait.

Yea it may have been PL times tbf, and tbh it was so long ago I can't remember clearly. Plus usually when I get the bus I've had at least a few shandies.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 May 2016 22:21

The reason I often walk is because even 2 minutes waiting in that queue does feel like 20, and I'm incredibly bad at waiting when I could be moving and getting closer to where I'm going, even if I get there later. So I can kinda understand why you might feel it takes ages, I spose.

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 21 May 2016 22:35

If getting to the Madjeski Stadium is a hardship for you modern fans, then you are a pampered lot. In my early days as a spectator at Elm Park I often walked there from where I lived on Wokingham Road opposite Palmer Park.