565 posts
RoyalCrisp

Re: McDermott Sacked (AGAIN)

by RoyalCrisp » 28 May 2016 14:19

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 28 May 2016 14:55

Thought one of the main reasons for the Thai's sacking Clarke was that their culture valued loyalty?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 28 May 2016 16:21

sandman Thought one of the main reasons for the Thai's sacking Clarke was that their culture valued loyalty?

To family. Shaft anyone when it comes to business.

BonBoh

by BonBoh » 28 May 2016 16:24

I'm really gutted for BMcD. He's a genuine guy and has the mindset required to run this club. A steady bloke who can put the right building blocks in place to lay a foundation for stability and possible future success. His style of football is geared toward winning games 1-0. It's not always good to watch but the club needs to steady the ship for a bit. Obviously, BMcD's style of football is not everyone's cup of tea but a sound manager will sign sound players who will want to play for the club and give it their all. This is what we had done so well until Zingarevich arrived.

Now we are left with a wild west style club with trigger happy owners and players who are just in it for the money.
This is no longer the club I have supported since 1975. The values have gone and loyalty is just a badge-kissing exercise until someone with a bigger wallet comes along.

We've now got to look for a manager before we can even agree on transfer budgets and players who will suit that manager's style. Already, this is another season up the swanny which will end with another change in management.

RG7Fan

by RG7Fan » 28 May 2016 18:07

Dave-Royal how about
Phil Parkinson manager
Graham Muty Number2

Dave - please piss off for a few weeks.

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 28 May 2016 22:48

I wanted to give it a day before posting:

Basically I agree with everyone that says that this action was an absolute disgrace. I can't even begin to describe how disgusted I am with the owners for taking the decision. I'm not going to go on and go, i'll just say that it goes against every principle that matters to me as a fan and what I thought mattered to the club.

I don't feel I can continue to support the team whilst the current owners remain. It would just be too hypocritical for me to hand over money to a regime that I don't respect.

Season ticket won't be renewed; I won't attend any more games, I won't be purchasing anything to do with Reading.

So (for the time being) I guess this is goodbye.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 May 2016 22:51

Think that you are just one of the many at this moment in time.

For sure..I don't like where my money might be going

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 28 May 2016 23:38

AthleticoSpizz Think that you are just one of the many at this moment in time.

It'll be going on paying the wage bill.

It's not as if we a running a surplus that the owners can cream off.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 29 May 2016 00:10

Elm Park Kid I wanted to give it a day before posting:

Basically I agree with everyone that says that this action was an absolute disgrace. I can't even begin to describe how disgusted I am with the owners for taking the decision. I'm not going to go on and go, i'll just say that it goes against every principle that matters to me as a fan and what I thought mattered to the club.

I don't feel I can continue to support the team whilst the current owners remain. It would just be too hypocritical for me to hand over money to a regime that I don't respect.

Season ticket won't be renewed; I won't attend any more games, I won't be purchasing anything to do with Reading.

So (for the time being) I guess this is goodbye.

Brian himself said doing so poorly for so many games consecutively towards the end of the season would not stand him in good stead with his talks with the owners. just 2 weeks back Get Reading ran a poll and 52% voted that they did not think Brian was the man to lead the club forward.

Brian is a really top
Bloke, but yesterday's news was not 'out of the blue' for him, some are using words and derisory terms aimed towards the owners and spouting words such as 'disgusting' which I don't completely agree with. The clubs board have discussed the matter following, fan backlash, terrible form, coaches departing this week & I think he did know the writing was on the wall.

I love Brian. I love this football club. I always will. He achieved fantastic things. Some of the best memories ever being a football fan.

But the feeling around the club has been a really sad predicament since the return of BMcD (the feel good factor lasted about 6 matches), the owners were already being berated with nonsense; so now with another 2/3 months till the season starts I'm not surprised they wanted something drastic to change in the summer, instead of waiting and seeing if it got better by Christmas. For all we know, back in Jan Brian might have been told he needed to push us up the table, it might have been asked of him in his interview. we went in to free fall, plain and simple.

A whole new coaching team is set to be appointed now - let's see if they get this team playing again - the players who remain will certainly need the fans backing and as much as many of you don't like it, the new manager will need our backing too.

Didcotroyals15

by Didcotroyals15 » 29 May 2016 00:30

I believe that the owners made the right decision. I have been a season ticket holder for 10 years last season was the worst football I have seen. The football was hard to watch because Brian was playing players in the wrong positions and his tactics weren't working. The players seemed like they had lost respect for McDermott in the last few games.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 May 2016 01:07

Longhorn1970
Rollerbob :lol: at all those losing their minds over this sacking, and all those crying that Reading FC has changed..

McD's done nothing to suggest that he's capable of taking this club forward, we've gotten worse on pretty much ALL fronts since his arrival. Not just the right decision, but a really good, positive decision too.

Season ticket renewed.

+1

Well done both of you. Minus points on using gotten like you're American tbf poor form.

Anyway who should we get in, in 6 months time when the next bloke can't turn it around (in 6 months) ?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 29 May 2016 01:24

Yip.....it's the new Reading way

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 29 May 2016 02:29

I don't get why they didn't sack him after the final game. Why wait??

The thing with the Thai's is they have to be in control, just look at other Thai owners, if they get hassle aboit what they want to do they get in a huff.

Hull Tigers, Cardiff playing in red.

This lot will walk if REP gets refused, which it should on parking loss alone

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 29 May 2016 08:18

Harpers So Solid Crew I don't get why they didn't sack him after the final game. Why wait??

The thing with the Thai's is they have to be in control, just look at other Thai owners, if they get hassle aboit what they want to do they get in a huff.

Hull are owned by an Egyptian
Vincent Tan is Malaysian.

But easy mistake to make.....

Fezza

by Fezza » 29 May 2016 09:03

Not sure what all the whinging and head slapping is for.

Our form under McD was very very poor. More importantly there was no sign of improvement. The "Reading Way" doesn't work in the filthy rich league we find ourselves in.

Am I happy the Thais sacked him so soon? Yes, he hadn't made any difference. If I was upset it was when he was reemployed.

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 29 May 2016 09:11

Quite probably on a better manager than the one we had.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 29 May 2016 09:15

Nameless
Harpers So Solid Crew I don't get why they didn't sack him after the final game. Why wait??

Hull are owned by an Egyptian
Vincent Tan is Malaysian.

But easy mistake to make.....

Just like saying Warnock has never won the championship.

under the tin

by under the tin » 29 May 2016 09:31

On topic..
Victor Meldrew No, the worst was the sacking of Maurice Evans when we were 3rd in the league.

Nailed.

Elm Park Kid I don't feel I can continue to support the team whilst the current owners remain.
It would just be too hypocritical for me to hand over money to a regime that I don't respect.

tmesis It'll be going on paying the wage bill.

More of a small contribution towards an over inflated wage bill. Some of us arrived at that conclusion years ago.
It wasn't the regime, but the sport itself.

BonBoh Now we are left.... with players who are just in it for the money.
The values have gone and loyalty is just a badge-kissing exercise until someone with a bigger wallet comes along.

Victor Meldrew Time to move on and accept that ours is just like any other club-foreign owners with dubious intentions.

tmesis It's not as if we a running a surplus that the owners can cream off.

....... But there be that there land .......
I'm strictly armchair nowadays, but for all that, still care about the club I started supporting all those years ago.
I am fearful of how much longer the club will survive in its present form. REP could well be the start of something very bad.
What next? Sale and lease-back of the stadium itself? Housing at Bearwood?
It's cause and effect. Silly footballer wages bleeding clubs dry gives owners little option but to find other ways to plug the shortfall, and as business-minded people, they want a return on capital. In the absence of home grown family silver to cash out on, Player-wise, other options are limited. Build a budget team, get promoted to the Prem, then watch the wageroll inflate exponentially. Most of the "Premier league riches" diverted into tricked up blingster Range rovers for young lads to pose around in (and that's the youth team). The best players get itchy feet, or are poached ("agent reckons I can get a Ferrari if I went there"). Rinse and repeat.
Or asset strip (no risk), and then run like hell.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 May 2016 09:33

Generally agree with the consensus that the Thais appear to have no idea how to run a football club. Seem to be desperate to get to the PL but want to do it by spending no money whatsoever and any money we get for players is thrown away on manager settlements.

Clueless.

Of course if this is totally wrong then why do they not come and talk to us and tell us what the strategy is and what the hell is going in at the club at all levels.

Please, Sasima, put someone up to us/the media to talk and answer questions.

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 29 May 2016 09:33

Haag Royal

Quite probably on a better manager than the one we had.

And some much needed player recruitment. Excellent value. Think we are in for an interesting summer. I've renewed.

565 posts